AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 38
10: Amazing... 3 7.50%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 9 22.50%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 9 22.50%
7 out of 10: Good... 5 12.50%
6 out of 10: Average... 7 17.50%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 3 7.50%
4 out of 10: Poor... 2 5.00%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-02, 05:44   Link #41
Destined_Fate

Well he would have at least had a father in his life. Makes me wonder if either of them even stayed faithful considering how long they were a part...
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 06:48   Link #42
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Yes, Kio only thinks of important to him but the consequence of his decision will come back to bite him hard.

Yup, it is not that surprising. If Ansem didn't become a pirate, do you think we can have a more level-headed Kio?
Remember this is the same kid that jumped off a wide gap just to keep safe a bunch of kids.

Flit and Asemu had been there.

Each were thinking of helping people who they can only reach.

On another note. Seeing how good Asemu is now he certainly surpassed Zeheart in skill.

Asemu's greater set of experience gives him an advantage over Zeheart. In the same way Zehearts only advantage over Kio is experience... Though barely in Zeheart's case. As Kio has greater X-Rounder power. And Zeheart is still too dependent on his ability to grow.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 13:52   Link #43
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
I think this may be the worst episode ever produced in anything Gundam related.Worse even then the first 10 episodes of ZZ.

On the bright side after Age we can say that the Gundam franchise is unkillable.Because if this can not destroy it nothing can.
Cool troll bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Care to explain why you think this is the worst episode ever produced? because it's actually not bad, and a hell of a lot better than say for example any episode of SEED Destiny....
You know I used to ask questions like this and invite people to clarify their massively overreaching statements, but I don't really bother anymore because they never do. Really though how do you even approach trying to support a statement like that? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Alas it's a pretty sorry state this sub-forum has been reduced to of late. Almost nobody watching and the few that do have very little to add of consequence or value (most of the good commentary and discussion is in the general discussion thread I find) and thus we're kind of cycling through the usual mess again this generation of person comes in making broad condemning statement of entire show as "worst Gundam ever" and other people go way overboard in trying to defend it when frankly it's a lot easier to disregard the majority of attacks on the show since for every criticism that's fair like the bit about Kio trying to punch the mega-particle cannon and getting captured there's one that's incredibly bloody stupid.

AGE might not be the most popular of Gundam series, but it deserves better than this quite frankly. Oh well, such is the reality we live in and all I know is that I'm still enjoying it. Maybe the next Gundam series will have people more interested, but I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that western fans just don't really seem to like Gundam all that much anymore period.

Anyway almost 40 episodes in I think the worst I can say about Gundam AGE is that it's almost incredibly easy to predict certain events (mostly character deaths) that are going to happen within an arc if you've had even the most moderate of experiences with past Gundam series and also that sometimes the battles clearly go the route that the writers want it too in order to set up the next arc as opposed to the most logical one, but often they disguise this fairly well with another plot point or two. Still I think the last time it really surprised me with a character exit was when they were throwing up all those death flags for Obright and then it was Remi that went out and got axed.

That said I'm finding plenty of interest in this generation right now whereas at the beginning when it was doing a runthrough of similar events from Soldiers of Sorrow I wasn't feeling it so much at all. We've got what looks like a 3 way battle for EXA-DB coming up, the Vegans now have a Gundam, the Earth Federation is still trying to beat the Vegans back from their territory, Kio is witnessing revelation after revelation about the conflict and is slowly starting to deviate from, "My grandpa is the greatest ever and we should all follow his ways and methods" and becoming his own guy ala Asemu before him, and the 3 Asunos are finally reunited and all in the fight. I think the remaining episodes are going to be enjoyable.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-02 at 14:24.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 14:07   Link #44
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Yes, Kio only thinks of important to him but the consequence of his decision will come back to bite him hard.

Yup, it is not that surprising. If Ansem didn't become a pirate, do you think we can have a more level-headed Kio?
Honestly, it's hard to say. The whole savior thing seems to be the theme of their family so I bet he'd still do stupid stuff ragardless.
Old 2012-07-02, 19:43   Link #45
quagmire

This episode reaffirmed it. Dark Hound is easily my favorite Gundam in AGE. It looks so badass.....
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:07   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Kio is a child. If you want your soldiers to make smart decisions, don't send 13 year-olds to do your fighting for you.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 23:26   Link #47
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Kio is a child. If you want your soldiers to make smart decisions, don't send 13 year-olds to do your fighting for you.
Yeah he's about as much of a soldier as Amuro and Kamille were when they first came aboard their respective ships. Volunteer is more like it. Hell he basically went from the ground to the Age-3 linked up with the ship and became it's designate pilot because he had the AGE device and he's an Asuno. Unlike his father he never enlisted and was never assigned to an MS team. He actually has more in common with his grandfather in that regard.

Rather than condemn him I'll wait to see how he comes along. Amuro and Kamille were pretty frustrating characters when they first got thrust into their positions and they turned out great in the end so I don't see why there isn't time for Kio to assert himself.
Old 2012-07-03, 00:30   Link #48
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Ok, I know I might seem like a Flit hater, but this is all his fault. If he had disciplined Kio properly when he disobeyed orders the first time and went after the traitor instead of doing his mission, he wouldn't have gotten the AGE3 captured. I don't mean a Wong-like beat down, but a good hard Bright-slap would've set Kio straight...
Old 2012-07-03, 05:10   Link #49
SoranGTR
SIEG HARUHI!!!

Send a message via MSN to SoranGTR
Kio deserves a few Bright slaps, if only for his several mistakes throughout this series.

Acting like a spoilt brat gets people killed, plain and simple
Nothing shall stand between me and my destiny.
Amen
SoranGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 17:49   Link #50
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9VS21XJXk

YOUTUBE FIGHT
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 21:24   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
You know when I think about the sort of things that seem to cause the absolute most rage amongst the ever fracture Gundam fanbase two things come to mind. One is when the main character overperforms and "beamspams" down the opposition in his Gundam class mobile suit, and the other is whenever a character makes a bad decision. Really I can't think of a time in recent memory where a main character has been naive or gullible and done something to hurt his own faction and it hasn't been met with overblown rage even though it's something that happens at least once in every Gundam series I've seen, still the rage.

The problem is how do you get around something like this if you're a writer for the show. If every time your main character makes a mistake there's massive backlash you'd think to make them infalliable, but then if you do that people will accuse you of pulling a Jesus Yamato so basically you're fucked. No win situation for Gundam yet again and more credence to my theory that these people perhaps just plain don't actually like Gundam even if they claim to be longstanding fans of the franchise. If they were I can guarantee these things wouldn't bother them this damn much.
Old 2012-07-03, 21:57   Link #52
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The problem is how do you get around something like this if you're a writer for the show. If every time your main character makes a mistake there's massive backlash you'd think to make them infalliable, but then if you do that people will accuse you of pulling a Jesus Yamato so basically you're fucked. No win situation for Gundam yet again and more credence to my theory that these people perhaps just plain don't actually like Gundam even if they claim to be longstanding fans of the franchise. If they were I can guarantee these things wouldn't bother them this damn much.
hoho oh no.

There's a difference between making a simple mistake, and screwing over your entire race over an exchange that 1) tells you the guy you're trying to negotiate with is already messing with you if you try to apply any logic at all to the situation and 2) has no guarantee to even work to your benefit.

The cherry on top is how Kio is legitimately SURPRISED to see Legilis Gundam staring straight at his face at the end of the episode.

No one is overblowing how stupid this mistake is.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:17   Link #53
WefiDasst

Quote:
This seems to be the unwritten rule in AGE, any female character that gets any attention and development with the main character is doomed to die...
or a Montage.
WefiDasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 22:57   Link #54
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf
I think this may be the worst episode ever produced in anything Gundam related.Worse even then the first 10 episodes of ZZ.

On the bright side after Age we can say that the Gundam franchise is unkillable.Because if this can not destroy it nothing can.
lolol

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread

Quote:
hoho oh no.

There's a difference between making a simple mistake, and screwing over your entire race over an exchange that 1) tells you the guy you're trying to negotiate with is already messing with you if you try to apply any logic at all to the situation and 2) has no guarantee to even work to your benefit.

The cherry on top is how Kio is legitimately SURPRISED to see Legilis Gundam staring straight at his face at the end of the episode.

On the contrary, I actually think you're being ridiculously and excessively critical over a 13 year old doing something naive; I'm not sure why exactly you take such offense to a child being manipulated into doing something stupid and think it can never be justified as anything except awful writing, but personally speaking at 13 I was so trusting and undersuspicious that anyone that wanted to trick me would find it almost impossible to fail in doing so
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 23:10   Link #55
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
hoho oh no.

See I know people love that angle of "no really this time it's serious business", but it's not over yet and there's still a chance for him to try and redeem his mistake. He's a 13 year old kid who made a foolish decision for the hopes of short term gain in trying to save a poor dying girl. Naive 13 year old kids don't always make the most logical decisions, again look at Amuro with his whole desertion thing that nearly got the whole White Base team axed by Ramba Ral's squad just because he was upset when he overheard Bright bad mouthing him. Stupid kids make stupid mistakes when they get emotional. Again another example, Kamille and his Marty McFly like irrationality over being told he has a girls name that would cause him to fly into fits of rage and get himself in hot water.

Honestly if people want to hold it that much against the kid then so be it, but I think it's pretty silly and a total over reaction. When people get like this every time something like this happens it really makes me think they aren't being totally honest with themselves when they complain about the apparent up coming no kill policy of Kio's and that they actually WANT a character like Kira Yamato was in Gundam Seed Destiny as a protagonist. Forever infalliable, able to effortlessly win every battle, static and incapable of showing any real emotion.
Old 2012-07-04, 00:44   Link #56
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Every freaking "soldier" protagonist in Gundam had made bad decisions which they shouldn't have, including the ones in their 20s and professionally trained like Shiro and Kou. It's call introducing conflict to generate drama.

Besides, in reality soldiers are supposed to follow orders, not make decisions. Using that as the measuring stick just about every Gundam protagonist fails as a good soldier.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:29   Link #57
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I think it's pathetic that out of all the things they could complain about, they choose Kio and the pills. He was being naive, but when you consider the alternative, he made the most out of the situation. Ezelcant could easily have tortured him and gotten the code anyway, at least this way he was able to bring happiness to someone, albeit for a short time.

We could make a valid complaint about the Bisidians' infiltration mission, the ease with which they got in was ridiculous. The entire army pretty much disappeared and let them stroll into Second Moon. Then there's the AGE device seemingly being left in plain sight...I think these might be legit issues, but the fracking pills?
Old 2012-07-04, 02:22   Link #58
flack

Man...they sure love to show little girls suffering and dieing (and make it so that they are happy when they die to make the deaths seem more tragic) in this show...
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 02:35   Link #59
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

They do that in all Gundam shows. Having a pair of ovaries in a Gundam universe is typically a bad sign.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:18   Link #60
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
I think it's pathetic that out of all the things they could complain about, they choose Kio and the pills. He was being naive, but when you consider the alternative, he made the most out of the situation. Ezelcant could easily have tortured him and gotten the code anyway, at least this way he was able to bring happiness to someone, albeit for a short time.
It's always something you don't expect.

Quote:
We could make a valid complaint about the Bisidians' infiltration mission, the ease with which they got in was ridiculous. The entire army pretty much disappeared and let them stroll into Second Moon. Then there's the AGE device seemingly being left in plain sight...I think these might be legit issues, but the fracking pills?
Well my understanding was they used the invisibility umbrella to slip past the bulk of the fleet and that the Bisidian are used to infiltrating colonies Solid Snake style to look for scrap. It's not absolutely inconceivably that he was able to elude the patrol and slip inside such a massive base, especially since this is the first time the Second Moon has likely been infiltrated in it's history. I mean Char did similar things in both the original series and Zeta Gundam when he snuck into colonies and even the Federation's headquarters at one point.

Tags
weekly episode discussion