AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-09-04, 21:01   Link #1
TigerII
Pilot in Training

'Most File-Shares are monitored' says Birmingham University

"The research identified about 10 different monitoring firms logging content. Of these, a handful were identifiable as copyright-enforcement organisations, security firms and even other research labs.
But about six of the biggest-scale monitors were harder to identify, as the companies behind them used third-party hosting firms to run the searches for them.
Why such firms wanted the massive amounts of data was unclear, said Dr Chothia.
"Many firms are simply sitting on the data. Such monitoring is easy to do and the data is out there so they think they may as well collect it as it may be valuable in future," he said.
Some firms alleged to be carrying out mass-scale monitoring have been accused of selling the data to copyright holders for marketing purposes.
"The data shows what content is popular and where," said Dr Chothia.
The study also revealed that so-called blocklists, used by some illegal file-sharers to prevent monitors from connecting to their computers, might not be much use.
"Many of the monitors we found weren't on the blocklists so these measures to bypass the monitors aren't really working," said Dr Chothia"

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19474829

I am sure everyone knew they were being watched(The US wiki leaks shows they try to log everything ever), but I am surprised that a decent chunk of the monitors are marketing firms seeing what is most popular.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 23:06   Link #2
LeoXiao
思想工作

Well...that's disconcerting. And I just yesterday bought a copy of 1984.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 23:16   Link #3
flying ^

Shows on HBO should be pretty high up there...

... an entry from TF should complement OP's blockbuster news

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-pr...iously-111007/

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-09-06 at 01:54.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 23:39   Link #4
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Okay, this must include torrents as file shares, right? That is the big one people are concerned about. Or is this only about P2P file shares? Also, what about direct downloads from sites like Megaupload. Do they factor into this, and if not, are those downloads monitored?

What is a VPN?
Old 2012-09-06, 00:46   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

TF's entry is old but gold. I do wish they keep it up to date though, the VPN market moves fast these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is a VPN?
This.

It has quite a few uses, primarily for security and partial anonymity (with VPN you can present a different IP "face" to the rest of the internet), and thus is a rapidly growing market for people who want to keep the copyright suetopia off their backs, but as TF's article shows not all VPN's appreciate their primary customers' intentions and privacy concerns and the inevitable swath of automated DMCA complaints.

BTW I think most of that data they talked about being gathered is definitely torrents. "Megaupload" monitoring is...harder, you need to bribe/cajole/threaten the site owners for the logs.

The surprise isn't that they log, but that some organizations log without the overt intention to pursue copyright complaints, but for marketing data.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 13:26   Link #6
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
TF's entry is old but gold. I do wish they keep it up to date though, the VPN market moves fast these days.

This.

It has quite a few uses, primarily for security and partial anonymity (with VPN you can present a different IP "face" to the rest of the internet), and thus is a rapidly growing market for people who want to keep the copyright suetopia off their backs, but as TF's article shows not all VPN's appreciate their primary customers' intentions and privacy concerns and the inevitable swath of automated DMCA complaints.

BTW I think most of that data they talked about being gathered is definitely torrents. "Megaupload" monitoring is...harder, you need to bribe/cajole/threaten the site owners for the logs.

The surprise isn't that they log, but that some organizations log without the overt intention to pursue copyright complaints, but for marketing data.

That is what I am saying. Everyone knows that the copyright knights watch torrents and P2P. They have been for years. The surprising part was that a larger chunk of the monitors were watching to see trends, not after copyright infringement.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote