AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-22, 23:41   Link #361
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
It's not a bad series. It's just a very short series that people won't really rewatch over and over again.

There are reasons why the manga was not THAT popular, but really it's not a bad story... rushed, yes, but it's still rather creative.

And come on, at least the author's not too scared to kill anyone like in Naruto.
Old 2006-06-23, 00:05   Link #362
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's a great description, Ori.

Or Bleach for that matter. Who has ever 'died' in Bleach?
Old 2006-06-23, 03:12   Link #363
Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
That's a great description, Ori.

Or Bleach for that matter. Who has ever 'died' in Bleach?
Yeah that too. <.<

Although for some reason I am more forgiving with Bleach. Perhaps it is this way because in Naruto we all thought perhaps at least one of those people who tried to rescue Sasuke died... but no. In Bleach we have always known none of them would die, so yuo don't get quite as disappointed with no one dying... that and the fact I like almost all of the characters in Bleach while I find many of the character in Naruto kind of lame after forest of death.

Jyu-oh-sei killed almost every single main characters in the show other than Thor and Chen. You have to respect that sort of daringness.
Old 2006-06-23, 03:27   Link #364
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

So ... Tiz dies. Meh. Darn it, and I wanted them to copulate. So Thor is left with Chen? It doesn't matter; Third and Thor REALLY look alike anyway. xD
Old 2006-06-23, 15:59   Link #365
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
So ... Tiz dies. Meh. Darn it, and I wanted them to copulate. So Thor is left with Chen? It doesn't matter; Third and Thor REALLY look alike anyway. xD
spoiler cut for the love of god x_x sigh..... I knew I shouldn't have checked this thread...
Old 2006-06-26, 13:46   Link #366
aixchel
Shinkumi

Bones and Itsuki

Some ending thoughts on the series (no real spoilers)

It is too bad BONES, who has a good track record of very strong female characters, could not overcome what has long been considered mangaka Natsuki Itsuki's major weakness: her female characters are terrible. Another anime from the same author, Yakumo Tatsu OAV (relased in R1 as 8 Clouds Rising and available on DVD for $10), also exhibited that flaw, though the abbreviated nature of an OAV made it far less obvious. As such, in Jyu o Sei, by the time Karim showed up and then she, too, was lovesick and, lets' face it, stupid with unrequited love, it's hard not to roll your eyes in disgust.

Most read Itsuki's novels for the artwork (and she has a gorgeous artbook out as well) and because her mangas tend to have convuled stories (often shamanic) with anti-heroes. But you definitely don't want to start looking closer at the plot or trying to poke holes in her stories (unless you enjoy fishing out of a bucket). Just look at Jyu Oh Sei: The whole premise that women could control a male bestial society is ludicrous (even if they were the majority it wouldn't happen). Really, what's to stop the men from taking what they want? And that doesn't even touch on the scientifibabble.

But where Jyu Oh Sei was really weak was in the characters moreso than plot. Itsuki never lets you like any of them so it is hard to feel any emotion if they are wronged, offed, or ignored. And many are just purely pointless: Rai, top, Tiz, and especially Zagi seemed really pointless in the story arc that was, in effect, about Thor and Third. None of the supporting characters provided any kind of growth or influence on the main characters.

BONES can really make stories sympathetic and I really had hopes that would be the case here. But even the artwork was as uneven as the story. Overlooking really dated character designs was especially difficult (spandex? Third's Summer clothing straight out of the Flashdance movie) and the horribly cliched "generic peasants" that were probably recycled from Legend of the Galactic Heroes or El Hazard production archive. But Thor and many of the scenes were beautifully animated as befitting a BONES production and that was really the redemption of this series. As a result, I admit I spent most of this anime desperately hoping they'd get off the planet already and go back to the space station. Sure, Itsuki's works always feature a strong "survival of the strongest man' theme but I still had hopes that the proof of that championship would have moved offworld.

In any event, I think the 11 episode (perhaps 13 would have been as good or better) limit was a good one for this particular story. Too many of BONUS works get mired in the middle and it was nice to avoid that with this series.
Old 2006-06-26, 17:25   Link #367
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

@domino

I'm not sure with what I said. It may all be bullshit. I just wrote what people said happened. I didn't watch the final episode yet.
Old 2006-06-26, 20:25   Link #368
Ori

Quote:
Originally Posted by aixchel
BONES can really make stories sympathetic and I really had hopes that would be the case here. But even the artwork was as uneven as the story. Overlooking really dated character designs was especially difficult (spandex? Third's Summer clothing straight out of the Flashdance movie) and the horribly cliched "generic peasants" that were probably recycled from Legend of the Galactic Heroes or El Hazard production archive. But Thor and many of the scenes were beautifully animated as befitting a BONES production and that was really the redemption of this series. As a result, I admit I spent most of this anime desperately hoping they'd get off the planet already and go back to the space station. Sure, Itsuki's works always feature a strong "survival of the strongest man' theme but I still had hopes that the proof of that championship would have moved offworld.
Jyu-oh-sei manga was drawn in a more old fashion/traditional style. Thus, the clothing style was also more dated than most manga of its time. It's a stylistic element that in my opinion defines part of what the series is. I think it's a nice touch that Bones preserve that element with full knowledge that it would not be look favorably upon by some people. It makes the series just that much more faithful to the manga, that much more like an animated version of the manga and not something totally different.

As for females characters being unless. I would disagree, in my opinion without them Thor would have nothing to protect. Without them, Thor would have lost just that much more of his humanity.
Old 2006-06-26, 22:00   Link #369
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
@domino

I'm not sure with what I said. It may all be bullshit. I just wrote what people said happened. I didn't watch the final episode yet.
spoiler tag might be good still... I was just skimming the thread and saw that and went "UWAAAHHHH WHAT? @_@ " since rumors like that are generally true... oh well... only the final episode will tell the truth!

I hope the final episode has another ridiculous twist. Like Thor stops angsting and becomes a ballet superstar or something. That would make me happy.
Old 2006-06-29, 14:51   Link #370
tempest3991

Well just watched the final episode.

This particular anime started out really , really good and had me definetly hooked. But i think the whole Karin thing, and episode 9, 10, and 11 were really a drag

Anyone else agree?
Old 2006-06-29, 19:01   Link #371
Spinner187
Too old for Anime?

Totally agree,....this series need more episode to explain it better. It practically made little sense. Yeah the ending sucked
Old 2006-06-29, 22:39   Link #372
deathbygirl

I thought people would have enjoyed this series, but apparently I'm in the minority of those who liked it. I really liked the last episode; it was saturated with enough emotion to discard some of the series' weaker moments (the whole quick romance thing being one of them).

Spoiler:

It doesn't like the series is going to get much more support than those who either like it or hate it, but I still thought it was a strong showing of a pretty interesting story.
Old 2006-06-29, 23:08   Link #373
Ddadain
Autumn winds are good~

As for myself, I liked the ending. The ending is totally fitting the beginning and the general feel of the anime/manga. This anime isn't at all "feely-feely-good-abouty", but rather a serious, melodramatic and mature. The underlying themes of hope, courage, sadness, despair, sorrow, love, sex, humanity, greed, lust and malice all are well balanced and executed to a good extent.

We cannot really blame BONES for the apparent "weaknesses" [if there is any] of this particular series since they only took part in the animation, which I might add was excellent. They had no hand in the direction of what would happen in the anime.

Overall, if I am given the chance to rate this, I'd give it 8 out of 10, and 10 being excellent, etc. It is well executed, its plotline stayed on track with its underlying themes and it met my expectations at the end.

I have but one complaint and that is the many deaths in the end It made me quite sad to have Tiz and even Third die. *_* But that is just me >_>

Bravo!
Old 2006-06-30, 04:30   Link #374
domino
デレデレ

Last episode has me... so confused o_o wtf is going on?

Spoiler for episode 11:
Old 2006-06-30, 04:46   Link #375
wao
OK.

domino: regarding the Thor-needing-surgery to live past 20, I think
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-30, 10:53   Link #376
Aniki Meiski

Domino's question
Spoiler for episode 11:
Old 2006-06-30, 17:54   Link #377
domino
デレデレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniki Meiski
Domino's question
Spoiler for episode 11:

Hm, your explanations help fill in some of the plotholes It's still unfortunate that they could've have stretched the series longer... even just 2 more episodes would've helped so much...

I also learned a new lesson: don't watch confusing scifi anime at 4 AM, or things only get more confusing
Old 2006-07-01, 02:36   Link #378
wao
OK.

Just out of interests' sake, here are the ratings for all the Noitamina series so far.

Spoiler for Honey and Clover:

Spoiler for Paradise Kiss:

Spoiler for Ayakashi - Japanese Classical Horror:

Spoiler for Juuousei:

I'm surprised that the ratings didn't shoot up for the episode when Koichi Domoto started his role as the older Thor. But they did in the episode after that - perhaps people watched ep 6, said his voice sounds cool and then told everyone else. Or something.

Ratings like all statistics should be taken with a pinch of salt and pepper and tomato sauce to your taste... Sometimes the fluctuations don't really make sense, sometimes they do (like the last episode of ParaKiss being so high - probably because there were more people not going to work and staying up late so they flipped to the channel and just watched?) Furthermore, a lot of people record latenight shows... those don't get coutned in the ratings. Sometimes those recording people might just decide to watch it when it airs though. That can account for fluctuation, I guess.

But hey, it's just an interesting tidbit. It's more useful to compare it to other latenight anime which in general are lucky if they reach 2.5%. The ratings seem to have gone up in general since the first Noitamina show - perhaps the word spread and more people are tuning in (not that the quality necessarily went up )

EDIT: All statistics are taken from the anime viewer ratings matome page which takes ratings from magazines and by calling stations.

Last edited by wao; 2006-07-01 at 03:35.
Old 2006-07-01, 02:44   Link #379
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Bake Neko's arc had the highest percentage of people watching. It was also among the episodes in the Noitamina timeslot that had the best quality, story, character design, everything. (Though, being a romantic, I still like Honey and Clover more.)

Jyu Oh Sei had the best mean (aside from Ayakashi, of course) and that's pretty surprising. Perhaps Koichi Domoto *is* that influential.
Old 2006-07-01, 08:22   Link #380
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Furthermore, a lot of people record latenight shows... those don't get coutned in the ratings. Sometimes those recording people might just decide to watch it when it airs though. That can account for fluctuation, I guess.
That doesn't get accounted at all, unless it's such a high percetage that it affects those people who have the ratings boxes connected to their TV-sets.

If Japan is anything like America, the ratings are devised exclusively from a sample of viewers who have a contract with the japanese equivalent of Nielsen Ratings and have that box that counts their viewing preferences.

Unless those people also record en masse are present among the sample who have the boxes, the ratings are not affected at all.
Closed Thread

Tags
noitamina