AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-03-12, 21:27   Link #3281
The Green One

Yeah I don't see the fourth school, whoever they are, being the subject of a sidestory, not only would it spoil who gets the spot, it would kill the dramatic tension of Kiyosumi's semis. I still think it's going to be Teru, with her dangling plot line with Saki, exploring her side of the story will give something to fill the time since Kiyosumi's semis are going to take FOREVER to finish.

edit in response to Marina: Though I admit a story about Kokaji pro would be entertaining. It truly would a sidestory though.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 22:32   Link #3282
King-Slayer

I'd be fine with a prequel focusing on Sukoya or something entirely new like the Middle schools or college team.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 23:38   Link #3283
Farplaner

Chinese translations are out
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 23:48   Link #3284
The Green One

Oh my, is it the return of daxing dan?
Old 2013-03-13, 02:48   Link #3285
FlavorOfLife
Uncaring

Shizuno's ability of being the mistress of the mountain depths is quite fierce. Koromo won't win her at all since she needs the last tile while Saki is going to have big issues.

Interestingly Yuki might be able to do it as her completion speed is extremely fast at the start of the match
FlavorOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 06:11   Link #3286
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Shizuno's ability of being the mistress of the mountain depths is quite fierce. Koromo won't win her at all since she needs the last tile while Saki is going to have big issues.

Interestingly Yuki might be able to do it as her completion speed is extremely fast at the start of the match
Yuki might have also ended up having a problem against Shizu. She practically cancel Awai's 5-6 hell wait passive ability. At the end of the match. Everyone's hand is back to normal so even if Yuuki is in east wind. She will probably having problem.

Saki and Koromo who uses the dead wall will really have hard time to deal with Shizu since the more the battle goes. The deep shit you go into her territory.

Teru would still curbstomp her and Saki doesn't really completely rely on Rinshan to win. She also uses kan to change the flow of battle but still. Being denied of the dead wall will be hard and it looks like Shizu also suddenly had a foresight ability that lets her see further down the road really this last chapter left you a satisfying ending but the same time let your eyes rolling on the development.
Old 2013-03-13, 06:28   Link #3287
Peanutbutter

Finally read the last chapter of Achiga-hen. At least they tried to give an explanation to Shizu's ability, how it came about that is consistent with her character.

(But that still doesn't explain how they struggled previously.)

Spoiler:

Now then, coming back to my predictions for the finals:

Spoiler:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 06:34   Link #3288
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Shizu kinda seems like she has more potential to get stronger (i.e another new ability). This leads me to believe that the final will be the time where Shizu, Awai and Saki get a new power and shows them in that match. Three of them are first years and the development where they get new power might be connected with the usual 'the seeds of potential of the first years' plots too.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 07:09   Link #3289
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

FINALLY!!! achiga is over!! the days of achiga getting 40-60 pages while saki gets a measly 12-16 are over!!! *cries* it was great for 5 chapters or so, then the different in pages started to show during the drawn out saki duel
Now lets hope for normal saki length chapters to return

That said the translation t the last chapter was horrible, i dont think the tl or typesetter knew any of the characters names lol
Old 2013-03-13, 07:34   Link #3290
Marina2

About how Shizu suddently get better.......I went back to check the score on quarter-final.

At the end of vice-captain match, 4 teams score are

Senriyama: 171,700
Kantani: 95,400
Achiga: 91,800
Koshiyaga: 41,100

and then time skipped to the last round of captain match

Senriyama: 180,400 (+8,700)
Kantani: 93,600 (-1,800)
Achiga: 81,700 (-10,100)
Koshiyaga: 44,300 (+3200)

What we learned from this?

1) The score was almost no difference from the end of vice captain roud - which means the skill level of players in this round are pretty equal or all of them played defensively.

2) It is possible that the Haneman hand that Shizu dealed in is the only time that she dealed in somene hand in captian round because if we plus back the score of Haneman (12000/18000) Shizu score will be 93,700 or 99,700 which is pretty good.

See? Shizu doesn't "suddenly" get better in semi-final. In quarter-final, She *may* only made one mistake in South3 but the rest of game her defend might be very good. Also, she managed to gain some points - With out getting hit by Haneman, Shizu gained at least 1900-7900 points + ? amout of point that she gained during the match.

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-03-13 at 08:46.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 08:32   Link #3291
The Green One

I think part of what is making Shizu hard to swallow here for some people is a lot of us have only a casual understanding of the game at best, the deeper intricacies of the game are lost on us. Shizu's ability is a form of table control that can also override other forms of table control if Shizu's is stronger. She almost stopped the counted Yakuman but not quite so even Shizu's ability is not absolute. Table control abilities are well known in the series and otherwise accepted, Shizu's shouldn't be that strange. Also Harue showed interest in the value of the dice row which suggests this isn't the first time Shizu has used this ability.

This almost seemed to be a preview fight of how Shizu could potentially fare against Saki, as her style is somewhat similar to Awai.

A lot of time is both series I think the gameplay in rounds is skipped to really signify that nothing of significant importance happened there. Otherwise the main series would be even more unbearly slow then it is already. I mean we saw Kiyosumi's quarter finals from almost start to finish and even that took over a year to finish.

Marina is correct in pointing out that Shizu had a stable game until she was surprised by that hidden hand she got direct hit by, Not the most flattering thing for us to see but it seems it was her only true mistake in the match.
Old 2013-03-13, 10:37   Link #3292
morli

Looks like we get a gist of Shizu ability. Her ability is Queen of the Mountain's End. She has ultimate control over last wall. The longer the round last, the less the opponent could use their ability and the better Shizu chance at winning. Dead wall is in her control too, being the furthest of the wall. She is the worst enemy for kan user and defensive opponent.

Not only that, she can understand the opponent power the longer she play against them. Then she can negate their ability latter in the game. (It was confirmed when Shizu activate her ability in all of the south round, indicating she can use her ability at will). But looks like the opponent can still win if they playing normally, without depending on their supernatural power.
Old 2013-03-13, 11:09   Link #3293
teja208
Critical fanboy

So Shizu's power works well against opponents with hex abilities over time, but not much against badass normal players. This is quite the opposite of Nodocchi which works well against normal players but not good when dealing with monsters.

With this ability of hers, guess Shizu is best catagorized as Monster Slayer tier/class player. The rarest of all the catagory it seems.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 11:12   Link #3294
Fragment off
Reader or Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morli View Post
Looks like we get a gist of Shizu ability. Her ability is Queen of the Mountain's End. She has ultimate control over last wall. The longer the round last, the less the opponent could use their ability and the better Shizu chance at winning. Dead wall is in her control too, being the furthest of the wall. She is the worst enemy for kan user and defensive opponent.

Not only that, she can understand the opponent power the longer she play against them. Then she can negate their ability latter in the game. (It was confirmed when Shizu activate her ability in all of the south round, indicating she can use her ability at will). But looks like the opponent can still win if they playing normally, without depending on their supernatural power.
That would mean Yuuki is the wrost thing that could happen to Shizu. Quick and Strong in the East Round and then she play normaly in South.

It will be interisting to see Who as the most control over the dead wall. I bet it will be first Saki , Then Shizu and at the Bitter end Saki again.

Last edited by Fragment off; 2013-03-13 at 20:48.
Fragment off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 13:30   Link #3295
Marina2

Now, in the captain round of Final, we have

Saki - Flower
Shizu - Mountain
Awai - Star

If we follow the natural theme, our 4th mystery will be that girl from Rinkai who have wind related ability.

I wonder how 4th player will make a table-control battle become even more chaos.
Old 2013-03-13, 16:01   Link #3296
Kon the Magnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Now, in the captain round of Final, we have

Saki - Flower
Shizu - Mountain
Awai - Star

If we follow the natural theme, our 4th mystery will be that girl from Rinkai who have wind related ability.

I wonder how 4th player will make a table-control battle become even more chaos.
So it would be like this in the end. "The blooming flower on the mountain under the bright star during a thunderstorm" during the climax of the finals. I believe the next monster will bring the force of a storm.
Kon the Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 16:30   Link #3297
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
FINALLY!!! achiga is over!! the days of achiga getting 40-60 pages while saki gets a measly 12-16 are over!!! *cries* it was great for 5 chapters or so, then the different in pages started to show during the drawn out saki duel
Now lets hope for normal saki length chapters to return

That said the translation t the last chapter was horrible, i dont think the tl or typesetter knew any of the characters names lol
12-16 are normal length Saki chapters. its the releases that are inconsistant unfortunately . I didn't read Achiga yet i'm still waiting on Yuri-projects so i can't really say about the translations.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 18:03   Link #3298
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon the Magnificent
"The blooming flower on the mountain under the bright star during a thunderstorm" during the climax of the finals. I believe the next monster will bring the force of a storm.
In other words, the fourth and final person will be the Japanese schoolgirl version of Warcraft's THE THUNDER KING! She will strike the playing board with a sound like heaven's storm!

I don't get this Daxing Dan thing. Are the translators trolling the chapters?
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 18:06   Link #3299
orangejuicetang

I'm waiting for yuri project's version of the final chapter, so I haven't read the current 'translated' chapter which is out yet, but from what I can tell, it was pretty much a speed translation from a chinese translation of the original chapter. Since 'DaXing' literally translate to 'Large Star' which is what I believe Awai's name to mean.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 18:10   Link #3300
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Indeed, Oohoshi literally translates to Big star.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri