AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-18, 22:59   Link #1
IronFox
The "Paint Pirate" Yar!

Question Anti-america anime?

More than likely theres only gonna be an episode of a series but I was just wondering if there were any movies/series that bash or make fun the US for some reason or another.
Old 2007-09-18, 23:17   Link #2
jedinat

Hmm... in the Read or Die OVA the US president wets himself a few times. I think it happens in the tv series as well. That's the most "offensive" poke at the US that I recall. Oh, and the White House gets blowed up; it's the first thing that happens in fact.
Old 2007-09-19, 00:03   Link #3
komichi

I don't think there's actually a specific series that focus solely on mocking the great United State of America...

n Death Note, Light threatened the president of US and forced him into cooperating... but that's not too significant. There's also a little part in Saiyonara Zetsubou Sensei where they show a bunch of fast food that was to be consumed by w/e her name was...
Old 2007-09-19, 00:14   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Blood+ has a rather strong anti-American undercurrent. I've been surprised that this doesn't come up in the discussions of the series here.

The movie Grave of the Fireflies depicts events after the fire-bombing of Japanese urban areas near the end of WWII. As an American, I find the movie very hard to watch.
Old 2007-09-19, 02:19   Link #5
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
The movie Grave of the Fireflies depicts events after the fire-bombing of Japanese urban areas near the end of WWII. As an American, I find the movie very hard to watch.
All of us would be speaking japanese if that didn't happen, especially those who were born in the SE Asia region but more or less, it's a good watch from the pov of the unfortunate civilian who were caught up in it and a good reminder why nukes/wmd shouldnt be used again.
Old 2007-09-19, 02:28   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

You may want to check Gasaraki as well.

Is not based around an anti-american feeling, but a lot of things that happen in the second half of the series are not exactly US friendly.
Old 2007-09-19, 05:37   Link #7
Navel

I remember the impatience of fans as they expected Code Geass and then the flak this anime got from the same fans at the beginning of its airing for presumably portraying the USA as an evil empire that conquered Japan through merciless killings. As soon as the name of that said empire was revealed to be Britannia, the same fans came back to better feelings.

Threads that talk about nationalism are quite sensitive, btw.
Old 2007-09-19, 08:33   Link #8
retardation
phantom loser

hmm, blood+ is a good option i think. i don't want to give away the plot though.
Old 2007-09-19, 14:45   Link #9
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I hope there is not going to be any more 'political discussion' in this thread - this place is for suggestions, not discussing WWII or anything of the like.
Old 2007-09-19, 15:06   Link #10
rooroobearr
Romancy Harems

Location: Let me look outside... Where the hell is this place?Oo
Send a message via AIM to rooroobearr
Err..Seconding Code Geass
It shows the Britanians or /we are an evil empire that conquered Japan and are from i guess all of North America and some of Europe? Not a spoiler they tell you that in the beginning.
Old 2007-09-19, 15:09   Link #11
IronFox
The "Paint Pirate" Yar!

^^^ Thats right, I`m sure that everyone here as seen how some US shows/movies can portray asians in a negitive light, I was looking for them to do the same to us.
Old 2007-09-20, 02:49   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Zipang! also has a bit of an Anti-American slant among the Imperial Navy. Obviously they were at war with America at the time though, but it's there.
Old 2007-09-21, 19:58   Link #13
sothis

i've been told that The Cockpit is fairly anti-american in its sentiments, though i haven't seen it, myself.
Old 2007-09-21, 20:07   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not seen much ANTI-americanism in any series ... more just funny or erroneous stereotypes and personalities. Code Geass is an "alternate universe" sort of show... conversely, if anyone remembers "The Man in the High Castle" by Phillip K Dick, it also constituted an "alternate history" of universe.

In Mech shows, the americans are usually full of themselves or Texan (wait... is that different? ). In romance shows, we get examples like Tina Foster or that idiot in Karin. In comedy, we get Patty Martin or some such.

Kamichu! had some subversive comments about America but then it was while they were skewering Japanese politicians, so meh.
Old 2007-09-21, 20:17   Link #15
Juan Valdez

Silent Service was very anti-American/pro-Japan IIRC. It's a submarine movie wherein a US-Japanese joint developed nuclear submarine is stolen by JSDF nationalists.
Closed Thread