AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-11-02, 07:51   Link #61
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Sakura has a sad undertone to where it gives the image where it will wither in an instant, not something you want a child to be seen as, although I do recall a girl's name of Sakurako but again I think it was rare. As for Hina again I recall girls named Hinako but Hina? Not that I recall of. Although the kanji are different hina means chick so I guess it's the same.
I don't know.... I've seen a lot of Sakuras and Hinas among my age group, so maybe we're just among different circles.

For strange names, try 娥璟子. My name is the Japanese version of the Korean, and uses an unorthodox pronunciation.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 08:24   Link #62
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Sakura has a sad undertone to where it gives the image where it will wither in an instant, not something you want a child to be seen as, although I do recall a girl's name of Sakurako but again I think it was rare. As for Hina again I recall girls named Hinako but Hina? Not that I recall of. Although the kanji are different hina means chick so I guess it's the same.
IMO, names are really nothing much, most importantly is the values imbued in the child that makes the parent proud of her in the future.

Why not mix names? Like calling her Diana <insert surname> Tenri or Minerva <insert surname> Shiori, teach the former Japanese archery and the latter speed-reading (but keep her away from BL magazines), then training them both with Kim's game - should boost your parental pride.

If he wants to stick to Hina, let the name be Hinagiku and teach the girl kendo.

Quote:
In Meji era there were given names like Kuma(熊) and/or Tora(虎) [bear and tiger] to girls which were to wish for longevity for their child. Lost it's style along the way but I think you know what I mean.
Name the girl Shirakuma (the name sounds pretty feminine to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I don't know.... I've seen a lot of Sakuras and Hinas among my age group, so maybe we're just among different circles.

For strange names, try 娥璟子. My name is the Japanese version of the Korean, and uses an unorthodox pronunciation.
For extra weirdness, try 俐恵子, pronounced as Rieshi for the eccentric factor. But eccentric names tend to reflect alot on the eccentricities of their parents - my real life name is so weird and rare that it is so easily recognised; I only use the phonetics and my AKA.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 08:35   Link #63
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
One thing for sure, it would be a damn dull place if everyone was named Paul, David, Joseph, Chris and other names that came out of the bible.
Sorry for being dull, mate! XD

I think it's a pretty interesting idea.

Heck, if I have children - God willing - I'd really want a daughter and I always thought I'd either name her Kaede (pronounced like Kay-de) or maybe even Kaname.

Yeah, I like K names...

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 08:37   Link #64
Tri-ring

Quote:

Come to think of it I recall one famous person named Sakura, sister of Tora-san played by Baisho Michiko in the Tora-san movie series.

Yes, Gakeiko is a name I had not come across although looking at the Kanji I believe it was influenced by Chinese since both " 娥" and "璟" are not used commonly in Japanese. " 娥" (ga) meaning refined beauty and "璟"(kei) glitter in a gem is more commonly used in Chinese from what I can tell with 娥皇 a fabled Chinese female figure and 宋璟 a famous chinese politician in 7th century AD.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 08:40   Link #65
Sides

Know what, if i have children they will all get funny names, and £25 + forms to change their names, for their 12th birthday, think that is the age where you get into secondary one. That way I get my part of the fun for bringing them up ^^.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 08:42   Link #66
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Come to think of it I recall I famous person named Sakura, sister of Tora-san played by Baisho Michiko in the Tora-san movie series.

Yes, Gakeiko is a name I had not come across although looking at the Kanji I believe it was influenced by Chinese since both " 娥" and "璟" are not used commonly in Japanese. " 娥" (ga) meaning refined beauty and "璟"(kei) glitter in a gem is more commonly used in Chinese from what I can tell with 娥皇 a fabled Chinese female figure and 宋璟 a famous chinese politician in 7th century AD.
For Chinese (or at least what I have heard in SG/MY), we have a saying going that if we name our children after a person, the child will likely to go in the way which the person had lived.

Therefore it is a bad idea to name your child after a politician, unless you want to spend the last few years of your life having paint splashed on your front door, hate mail flooding your mailbox and/or death threats sent over the phone.

The last one doesn't seem to matter much anyway considering that you are about to die at that time, but the last few moments of peace really count at the end of your life.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-02, 08:50   Link #67
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
For extra weirdness, try 俐恵子, pronounced as Rieshi for the eccentric factor. But eccentric names tend to reflect alot on the eccentricities of their parents - my real life name is so weird and rare that it is so easily recognised; I only use the phonetics and my AKA.
Although "俐" is not a commonly used kaniji in Japan Rieko is a common female given name here. As for SaintessHeart, although I do not know what kanji is being used but if it is 聖心 then there is a very famous all female high school/college named by that name that many female yearn to enter. Is said to be the ultimate all female school to educate the proper Yamato Nadeshiko even if it's a Christian school.
Old 2011-11-02, 08:54   Link #68
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
It's a bit complex. You see, the name was suggested by the husband of my great-aunt (both Koreans) as 娥璟 (Akyeong), and it was changed to 娥璟子. Furthermore, it isn't pronounced Gakeiko, but Akeiko, to follow the Korean way of saying it.

That's why I wrote my name in hiragana officially. 娥 and 璟 aren't in the Jinmeiyo kanji or Joyo kanji, and the pronunciation deviates from the actual Japanese. It's really one of the more complex names around. Add in the 皇, and you have a very uncommon name (even the original Korean would have been uncommon, since both 娥 and 璟 weren't added to the Inmyongyong hanjapyo until 2001)

Quote:
Although "俐" is not a commonly used kaniji in Japan Rieko is a common female given name here. As for SaintessHeart, although I do not know what kanji is being used but if it is 聖心 then there is a very famous all female high school/college named by that name that many female yearn to enter. Is said to be the ultimate all female school to educate the proper Yamato Nadeshiko even if it's a Christian school.
One of the schools I probably would have gone to (the other being Gakushūin) if I hadn't insisted in living in Kyoto
Old 2011-11-02, 08:55   Link #69
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Although "俐" is not a commonly used kaniji in Japan Rieko is a common female given name here.
Rieko is a common pronunciation, but what I was thinking about is the alternate readings as well as the other characters.

Quote:
As for SaintessHeart, although I do not know what kanji is being used but if it is 聖心 then there is a very famous all female high school/college named by that name that many female yearn to enter. Is said to be the ultimate all female school to educate the proper Yamato Nadeshiko even if it's a Christian school.
*berserk button*

That is not my real name. And although I can cook and clean it DOESN'T MEAN I AM A GIRL. And keep my gender intact!

[/tsun]

Is it pronounced as Seishin?

Quote:
It's a bit complex. You see, the name was suggested by the husband of my great-aunt (both Koreans) as 娥璟 (Akyeong), and it was changed to 娥璟子. Furthermore, it isn't pronounced Gakeiko, but Akeiko, to follow the Korean way of saying it.

That's why I wrote my name in hiragana officially. 娥 and 璟 aren't in the Jinmeiyo kanji or Joyo kanji, and the pronunciation deviates from the actual Japanese. It's really one of the more complex names around. Add in the 皇, and you have a very uncommon name.
If there is ever a manga drawn about you, you'd be like the Queen of Hearts, except that if someone pisses you off, you'd go,

*in a soft and nice tone*
You know you have pissed me off? I am afraid I have to cut off your head......and it is going to make a mess of my courtroom. And it is going to be fun, won't it?

*runs*

Old 2011-11-02, 09:06   Link #70
Tri-ring

Quote:

That's why I wrote my name in hiragana officially. 娥 and 璟 aren't in the Jinmeiyo kanji or Joyo kanji, and the pronunciation deviates from the actual Japanese. It's really one of the more complex names around. Add in the 皇, and you have a very uncommon name (even the original Korean would have been uncommon, since both 娥 and 璟 weren't added to the Inmyongyong hanjapyo until 2001)
You must have had a tough time always correcting people (especially teachers) correctly announcing your name, but it has a certain royal mysticism in it, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Rieko is a common pronunciation, but what I was thinking about is the alternate readings as well as the other characters.

Is it pronounced as Seishin?
Yes it is.
Old 2011-11-02, 09:14   Link #71
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
You must have had a tough time always correcting people (especially teachers) correctly announcing your name, but it has a certain royal mysticism in it, if you know what I mean.
Hence why I used hiragana. It's easier to avoid all the initial hassle. Still, I would say my name was much better than the banal ones my classmates had; preppie girls' schools seem to have some sort of relationship with banality.
Old 2011-11-02, 10:44   Link #72
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Our daughter has an English (well, Germanic actually) first name which is fairly common and easily pronounceable. Her Chinese middle name however, even I have trouble pronouncing it. Perhaps that will be a name only her closest friends will use.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:15   Link #73
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm not gonna judge but i hope your daughter doesn't grow up to hate you for naming her after a character who's fate..... you know.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:48   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My father-in -law's name was Kaoru which was a common male given name in the mid-20th century. We gave our second son that name for a middle name. Imagine our surprise when we find it has evolved into a girl's name in the last couple of decades. He was pissed when he came home from high school japanese class having discovered that.

(and then later I see it used as a girl's name in Amagami). Nonetheless, it was a guy's name in my father-in-law's time.

So see.. you can't win so do what you want
Old 2011-11-02, 12:00   Link #75
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My father-in -law's name was Kaoru which was a common male given name in the mid-20th century. We gave our second son that name for a middle name. Imagine our surprise when we find it has evolved into a girl's name in the last couple of decades. He was pissed when he came home from high school japanese class having discovered that.

(and then later I see it used as a girl's name in Amagami). Nonetheless, it was a guy's name in my father-in-law's time.

So see.. you can't win so do what you want
Well, it's more of it expanded into being a gender-neutral name. My youngest brother is Kaoru.
Old 2011-11-02, 15:31   Link #76
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Lot's of great european names out there, Ireland has plenty of... interesting ones. How about Donagh, Daragh, Cian, Donal, Breffni, Fintan or Aisling, Roisín, Aoife or Fiona.

I was somewhat disturbed when I learned an American housemates nephew had been named Quigley. Little did they know that my second name meant "unkempt hair"...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 00:59   Link #77
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
How is that anymore cosmetic than naming a kid after yourself or your parents? (which seems to be the tradition for middle names in the UK I noticed)

Or perhaps egotistical.
Also what if a kid's named after an historic figure with a name that's strange but the 'reason' seems just. Then that's ok and we all accept?
Alternatively, if a kid is brought up to be proud of their name, they'll defend it or most times, think nothing of it (save it being totally outta place in their local area).
It depends on how you raise your kid and how you explain things to help shape their perception on themselves.

So yeah as Vexx said, not knowing your location or in my case surname doesn't help.
Makes me wonder why you're not consulting your family and friends rather than a bunch of peeps on the internet from all corners of the world
Also if you are really concerned about what others will think in your area, then write the name on a piece of paper and let your local shopclerks, till attendents or random others you encounter try to read it and hear their opinions.

"Just a favour, could you try to read this name and tell me how it sounds to you"
And sure enough if you give a much more elegant reason as to why you're considering it as your childs name (if your bump is showing now), people will beleive anything xD

Remember, your average joe isn't clued up on a tiny part of Japanese subculture known as 'anime'
Sincerely, my apology. I didn't see this until now.

Life is a variable in and out of itself and I believe a fairly symbolic name is a good name. I do agree on the most part though; give a child a good life and good education and they'll be happy. Though I won't see that child being happy about their name though if it translates into something unpleasant or considered on the opposite of 'good' and 'of value'.

I hope you understand I didn't mean to sound hostile. If I did, it was unintentional.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 06:04   Link #78
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Sincerely, my apology. I didn't see this until now.

Life is a variable in and out of itself and I believe a fairly symbolic name is a good name. I do agree on the most part though; give a child a good life and good education and they'll be happy. Though I won't see that child being happy about their name though if it translates into something unpleasant or considered on the opposite of 'good' and 'of value'.

I hope you understand I didn't mean to sound hostile. If I did, it was unintentional.
Compared to some of the other peeps I run into here and get into scuffles, you're as gentle as a doll, no hostility at all.
But I do get fired up when it comes to debates, that's all

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 06:28   Link #79
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm not gonna judge but i hope your daughter doesn't grow up to hate you for naming her after a character who's fate..... you know.
I can see her daughter hating her for naming her after anime character in the first place. Just cause you watch anime and she may grow up in '' anime-ish enviroment '' doesn't mean she'll like anime after she grows up. She may be bullied, or rather is likely to be bullied with a weird first name like that in school. Just come on, think about it, named after an anime character... This isn't a pet we're talking about. So if you want to possibly ruin her life with a name like that, go ahead.

Else I'd recommend to reconsider and if you must name her after Nagisa just because you happen to like anime to THIS extent, then at least americanize the name.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:18   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Else I'd recommend to reconsider and if you must name her after Nagisa just because you happen to like anime to THIS extent, then at least americanize the name.
Excuse me? "Americanize" the name? Wanna rethink that thought or do I have to explain?

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-11-03 at 12:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby names, clannad, nagisa