AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-12-03, 14:52   Link #1
Mentar
Banned

Censorship of Wikileaks

To be honest, I'm still rubbing my eyes. Only a few years ago, I wouldn't have thought it possible, but - we've reached the day when the Russian Pravda can accuse the United States of stifling the free press - and be actually right.

I mean, it's not just that Big Media is corrupted and rotten to its core - that's not news. The almighty dollar decides what's acceptable news and what is not. But we've reached a new level of madness recently.

Lieberman successfully managed to pressure Amazon not to host Wikileak pages anymore. Same for Tableau, who was used to visualize charts.

He also succeeded in getting the DNS entry for wikileaks.org deleted by EveryDNS. The site has since moved to wikileaks.ch

There's an international warrant issued for Wikileaks representative Assange for alleged rape in Sweden. The funny aspect is that this was predicted to happen by Scott Ritter. He's the US official who called the Iraq "nuclear weapons" scam a scam. Well, he would know. In fact, the very same happened to him before.

Free press? Hehe

The Library of Congress (!) has blocked access to the Wikileaks site on its staff computers and on the wireless network that visitors use.

American first-line politicians (Palin, Gingrich etc) are openly demanding that Assange should be assassinated. For "treason". Nevermind that he's not even a US citizen to begin with, he's from Australia. The 51% of Americans who are convinced that he's a traitor according to a poll wouldn't know either, of course. Ignorance is bliss.

I kinda remember the public outcry when Iran had done the same by issuing a Fatwa to have Rushdie killed over a fictional text insulting the Prophet Mohammed. The Wikileaks documents however are obviously factual nonfiction. That makes the American Fatwa a little bit more disgusting in my eyes.

In my eyes, America has just joined the illustrious ranks of the likes of China (censorship) and Iran (instigation for murder). Nevermind the Red Khmer (Torture/Waterboarding) before. Warrantless spying on the citizens (Stasi in East Germany) is old news. And people don't even realize it. How depressing is that?

I can't put the current disgust that I feel about the unmasked monster into words, and it's hard for me to contain it. But I have to say that watching this mad witchhunt made me pessimistic about the current state of "civilization".
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 14:57   Link #2
Ending

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 15:04   Link #3
james0246

Quote:
American first-line politicians (Palin, Gingrich etc) are openly demanding that Assange should be assassinated.
I thought they were only demanding the actual American citizens and army personal who released the information be tried for treason, not Assange specifically?
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 15:07   Link #4
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
what makes me most mad out of the recent censorships of the internet was google deleting piracy terms off of google instant. It's not googles job to try to control what people search for.
and yeah...I used to think that wikileaks was wrong for doing what they're doing...but I realized that they're just keeping the government accountable and transparent. I'm sure they wouldn't care if it were Chinese or Iranian documents leaked. I think the real reason why the government targeted all those torrent sites without legal authority was because they are afraid of wikileaks, and a lot of what wikileaks has is shared and spread over torrent sites.
Some small island country is going to make big bucks off of selling uncensored and unmonitored server space.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 15:18   Link #5
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I thought they were only demanding the actual American citizens and army personal who released the information be tried for treason, not Assange specifically?
Palin used her Twitter account to compare Assange to Bin Laden and started a rant why he isn't pursued with the same intensity.

Gingrich demanded that Assange be declared "enemy combatant, a total enemy waging war against the United States" who must "not feel comfortable for the rest of his life".

Joe Lieberman basically announced: I am Homeland Security and you are to cease being involved with this organization which many say is a Terrorist group and Enemy Combatant.
Old 2010-12-03, 15:34   Link #6
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Nobody is saying Assange should be tried for treason. He isn't a United States Citizen so he doesn't fall under that description.

Assassination is a whole 'nother story.

Now the guy who sold out this information to Assange, he should be facing a firing squad. However, I don't see it happening with the current people in Political Power here in the U.S.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 15:35   Link #7
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Lieberman successfully managed to pressure Amazon not to host Wikileak pages anymore. Same for Tableau, who was used to visualize charts.
It was also against the Amazon TOS and was under a significant DDoS. As much as I'm sure Amazon loved the bill it was racking up, I'm sure they'd rather just use their TOS escape clause since it gets everyone off their back.

Quote:
He also succeeded in getting the DNS entry for wikileaks.org deleted by EveryDNS. The site has since moved to wikileaks.ch
Neither of these are actually censorship.

Quote:
There's an international warrant issued for Wikileaks representative Assange for alleged rape in Sweden.
There seems to be some confusion over what Interpol did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol
An Interpol Red Notice is not an international arrest warrant.
Quote:
The Library of Congress (!) has blocked access to the Wikileaks site on its staff computers and on the wireless network that visitors use.
Now this would be censorship.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 15:52   Link #8
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Nobody is saying Assange should be tried for treason. He isn't a United States Citizen so he doesn't fall under that description.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...ieve_wikil.php

Multiple followup links within this article, who was exactly calling for what.

Quote:
Assassination is a whole 'nother story.
So what's your position on that? Yes or no?

Quote:
Now the guy who sold out this information to Assange, he should be facing a firing squad.
With or without trial? Just asking.

Quote:
However, I don't see it happening with the current people in Political Power here in the U.S.
Let me quote one of the few GOP politicians that I really respect here: "When Truth Becomes Treason We're In Big Trouble."
Old 2010-12-03, 15:58   Link #9
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
It was also against the Amazon TOS and was under a significant DDoS. As much as I'm sure Amazon loved the bill it was racking up, I'm sure they'd rather just use their TOS escape clause since it gets everyone off their back.
Let's not play stupid. I don't care what excuse they finally pulled. It was clear that they took it down in reaction to an inquiry of a Lieberman staffer who demanded to know "if there are any plans to take it down".

And don't get me wrong: Amazon aren't the bad guys here, merely spineless wimps. It's that political pressure is applied to suppress informations not for evil terrorists (they'll get it by other means), but for the American public. You don't consider this worrisome?

Quote:
(about the DNS deletions) Neither of these are actually censorship.
Of course they are. It's the clear intention to make the site unavailable to the people.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Now this would be censorship.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...ks.php?ref=fpa
Old 2010-12-03, 16:06   Link #10
justinstrife

Quote:
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...ieve_wikil.php

Multiple followup links within this article, who was exactly calling for what.

Let me quote one of the few GOP politicians that I really respect here: "When Truth Becomes Treason We're In Big Trouble."
Read your own articles Mentar. The person responsible for the leak should be tried for treason. Not Assange.

Until I have a chance to discuss the wiki-leaks contents with a couple of my friends who work for Intelligence and/or homeland security, I am staying neutral on whether he should be assassinated or not. What my comment said though, was accurate. Assassination and shot for treason are two different things.

And of course after a trial by Military Judges.

Just because you respect someone, doesn't mean I have to respect them or their opinions.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:08   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

while it would satisyinh to some the last thing the US wants/Needs is to turn this guy into some sort of martyr.

Quote:
He should be given a very fair trial where he will be found guilty of treason and immediately put in front of a firing squad.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:18   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The person responsible for the leak ought to be given a fucking medal.

Anything that keeps the US government from doing something on a monumental potential-to-start-World-War-III level of stupidity is a good guy. With this info out, it'll be a lot harder to justify bombing Iran.

Edit: If things keep going at the rate they are--the TSA bullshit, COICA and ACTA, censorship of Wikileaks, more and more totalitarian behavior from the US government, we just might live to see Civil War Two.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:25   Link #13
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post

Anything that keeps the US government from doing something on a monumental potential-to-start-World-War-III level of stupidity is a good guy. With this info out, it'll be a lot harder to justify bombing Iran.

Edit: If things keep going at the rate they are--the TSA bullshit, COICA and ACTA, censorship of Wikileaks, more and more totalitarian behavior from the US government, we just might live to see Civil War Two.
Create a thread on that. Be interesting to see everyone's thoughts about a second American Civil War, who would be fighting on both sides, and what the outcome would be.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:36   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

Quote:
Create a thread on that. Be interesting to see everyone's thoughts about a second American Civil War, who would be fighting on both sides, and what the outcome would be.
no civil war but i do see fragmenting into several different chunks

Pacific States Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Colorado

New England + Great Lake States.

Texas

Alaska

Gulf Coast States

South East States

Florida
Old 2010-12-03, 16:39   Link #15
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
no civil war but i do see fragmenting into several different chunks

Pacific States Oregon, Washington, California, Nevada, Colorado

New England + Great Lake States.

Texas

Alaska

Gulf Coast States

South East States

Florida
Where does Arizona and New Mexico fit into all of this? It wouldn't be going with California, I can promise you that.
Old 2010-12-03, 16:53   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

on there own, i doubt Texas would be stupid enough to take them either. Same with states like Utah and Idaho (which at least has potatos).
Old 2010-12-03, 16:58   Link #17
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
While I admit mass fragmentation is the most likely result, I hope that a second civil war would be The Assfucked American Public vs. The Government, The Corporatists and the Crooks.

But I'm just dreaming here...
Old 2010-12-03, 17:08   Link #18
flying ^

wikileaks is still accessible u know

http://213.251.145.96/
http://wikileaks.nl/
http://213.251.145.96/
http://wikileaks.ch/
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-03, 17:10   Link #19
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Quote:
Oh that would defiantly be interesting to see the United States go into a second Civil War, especially with all the totalitarianism that seems to be vastly spreading through the US government. But we would probably just see lots, and lots of riots going around with people getting awfully pissy. But if it did get more serious then mere riots, then the US government might as well get overwhelmed by all the other angry states that despise what they are doing. Of course these are mere speculations.

But of course, situations will not grow "this" serious... Well... I hope not
Old 2010-12-03, 17:25   Link #20
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
While I admit mass fragmentation is the most likely result, I hope that a second civil war would be The Assfucked American Public vs. The Government, The Corporatists and the Crooks.

But I'm just dreaming here...
You are.

Nearly a 140 years ago, over half a million people died to keep the Union together.

I doubt anyone is going to let a guy like Assange break it apart, regardless of the leaks that are coming out.

Quote:
In my eyes, America has just joined the illustrious ranks of the likes of China (censorship) and Iran (instigation for murder). Nevermind the Red Khmer (Torture/Waterboarding) before. Warrantless spying on the citizens (Stasi in East Germany) is old news. And people don't even realize it. How depressing is that?
Ironically Wikileaks was created to expose the bad things and spread news in regards to countries like China.

Quote:
I can't put the current disgust that I feel about the unmasked monster into words, and it's hard for me to contain it. But I have to say that watching this mad witchhunt made me pessimistic about the current state of "civilization".
I'm quite surprised actually by some of the reactions. Some of these things I had thought about or known about or suspected. I mean these leaders and such are human afterall and there's no way I am alone in that aspect.

IMO the guy is just an attention seeker. Sooner or later this is going to bite him back in the butt and his name will get destroyed.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote