AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-06, 17:27   Link #61
U<3Anime
Boo!

Hmmm the new designs were easier to swallow than I thought. They are definitely not as cute as the first series, but I got used to it pretty quick. Well, actually my only gripe is Chiaki's design. Those eyes totally made her lose her cuteness. The lazy eyes (AKA, Baka detector) are no longer the same . That shade of brown at the bottom of her also bothers me. Why the heck did they put that? D:

The opening feels like those bad fanmade openings were they just simply replace the original song with another song that doesn't fit at all. Not saying the opening sucks, but the song just doesn't really fit with the cutesy scenes. As for the ending.......there's really nothing to say, but yea....it's plain boring.

Those are my only problems with the series so far. The first episode is enjoyable(even though it was RAW) and it manages to stay similar to the first series. Therefore, I'm definitely looking forward for the next episode. ( Hey, more Minami-ke won't hurt right?)
Old 2008-01-06, 17:35   Link #62
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
The art in Okawari, on the other hand, feels like eroge
Watch the melodrama unfold as the Minami sisters all fall for Touma's untamed gar maleness.

So far, all concerns I had about a trainwrecking remake, renewal, reimaging or other kinds of reinventing the wheel seem to be unfounded and I'm looking forward to just more Minami greatness.
Old 2008-01-06, 17:35   Link #63
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep1:

I didn't even notice that...

He'd cry if he knew we thought like that...
when you watch as much anime as I do you can tell the difference between feminine anime bodies and male bodies. Some people specialize in one or the other so when they have to do girls and they are accustomed to do male bodies, their old style sometime leaks in.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 17:46   Link #64
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Having watched episode 1 of Okawari, i would say this is what you get for trying hard to be funny.

Most of the funny moments are from the manga; but they add in a lot of non-manga fillers too.

Meanwhile, personally i would need a lot of time to shake off my mental images from the first season.

I'm still ok with Mako-chan and Touma in Okawari, but the sisters really seem disfigured. The inconsistencies are quite apparent especially when taken the sisters' onsen scenes into consideration.

The OP and ED just show you how brilliant those simple ones in the first season are. And somehow, the OP song reminds me of an old anime, Saber Marionette.

Overall, Okawari exudes the vibes of a more typical harem anime, which some may find interesting while others may not.
GoldAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 18:12   Link #65
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
just watched the first episode of the second season and I am happy with it.

The writers are doing a good job keeping the comedy in par with the first season. This is not a retelling but a continuation, as we pick up where the first season left. The animation is different and you can tell these animators know how to draw male body very well, they give our favorite crazy senpai a six pack in the opening.

They give Kana and Chiaki some masculine shoulders while in the onsen and Kana benefits from some boost in the breasts size department this season. Chiaki Hige is not as cute as the one from the previous season, it is kind of too simple. Haruka also got a little upgrade in the chest.
If i were to say,MKO brings a new whole different mood to the series.Some of you may probably used to it already,but still after several times of watching episode 1 of MKO,i still get the feeling "there's something wrong with MKO"...the animators may gave the anime a new brand of look and style,but it seems like it doesn't fit the main theme of the story anymore.

Before when i watch Minami Ke,i knew that it has the same style and theme just like Lucky Star.I feel like thats how a slice of life + comedy + school life anime should be...but with the sudden mood change of MKO,everything feels so weird already.Imagine this...how would you feel if they continue the Lucky Star series,maintaining the same concept,but the animation style follow like Persona/Shigofumi/or Trinity Blood?Would you still think that the story theme and the animation style fit perfectly?Or you would still prefer the original style of Lucky Star?

Remember the summer episode (issit episode 4 or 5) in MK?Compared it with the onsen story of MKO...don't you just feel like the body figures that Kana and Chiaki had in MK is much better/cuter than the one in MKO?

In any case,even with the sudden mood/style change,i will still stick to this series.Probably will get used to it after few episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
The girls' uncle also benefit from the animators ability to draw males very well, which is not a good thing because even though he is supposed to be a loser, he doesn't look it, he did look like a loser in the first season.
LoL its true.Now the zetsubou ojisan doesn't look like it anymore.

Even Fujioka's bright hair color gave me the feeling of how a banchou should look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
As for the ending.......there's really nothing to say, but yea....it's plain boring.
When i watch the ED,i got the feeling of renaming the series "Minami Ke ~Okanari~"

I think they make 3 different type of ED for this series,each with Haruka,Chiaki and Kana on it.If its all Kana in every ending,then it would be plainly boring.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 18:17   Link #66
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
This is no longer minamike
ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 18:33   Link #67
ThoHell

Spoiler for ep 1:
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 19:20   Link #68
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

To me there's a slight difference in the characters' personalities that are enough for me to feel some sort of disconnect between shows. More than just the animation, some of Haruka's and Chiaki's behavior seemed out of character that I feel as though I'm watching a different show instead of a continuation.

The more electronic music oriented OP & ED themes also don't help. The first series did a great job in setting the comedy tone, from the character designs to the music to the execution of the episode. This one has definitely lost its cuteness. I miss the chibi characters, the facial distortions, and the tear drop mouths.

I do like the Mako-chan and Touma interaction as someone pointed out. Fujioka walking in on Touma with her half undressed and him oblivious was fun. Kana and Fujioka's reaction to seeing each other even more so. There's plenty to like so I'm sticking with the series, but unlike the first one's first episode, this one did not leave a very strong impression where I knew I was compelled to watch more of it.

Yeah, having watched a raw, I don't understand any of the dialogue. Even so, I'm afraid what I watched is something that does not directly adapt Koharu Sakuraba's comedy. I can tell that there are similarities in comedic style between Minami-ke and Today in Class 5-2. This one so far feels very different from either.

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2008-01-06 at 19:55.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 19:47   Link #69
Woland
Latin Rascal

A decent episode...
...if you can forget about the existence of the first season U_U
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 22:45   Link #70
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

The first season was so good than it is difficult. It is sure than than season got too much high expectation from the fan of MK.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 23:48   Link #71
KickHopper
[Never Give Up]
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to KickHopper Send a message via MSN to KickHopper
At least we know that Haruka's breasts are real! xD

[R.I.P Lisa Chung : A Truly Remarkable Person.]
KickHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 01:48   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, it was interesting trying to follow that in the raw. Won't really be able to form an opinion on the writing until the subs given my spotty Japanese, but the art was less strikingly different than I expected, TBH. Though I guess it'd be a minority view around here, I thought Chiaki looked the least different of any of the characters. Actually Fujioka (boy, not bear) looked by far the most radically updated to me - older, and the handsomeness played up at the expense of the juvenile cuteness. Touma was pretty updated too, but in a good way I thought.

I liked the vibe, FWIW - can't wait for the sub!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 02:27   Link #73
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Chiaki's lively ahoge in episode 1 certainly gives me a bad feeling...

Spoiler for For future episode:
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:05   Link #74
deffusse
otaku[SK]

I've seen it once again, and I told to myself>> "it's not the previous minami, but this one is the new one, as funny as 1st season was, but you have to find it...."

After telling, I made a rewatch, and it was a lot better.... don't blame minami for unusual character design, it isn't that bad, it's new... [kana has an anabolic body, but her brests are much bigger....
deffusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:16   Link #75
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Chiaki's lively ahoge in episode 1 certainly gives me a bad feeling...

Spoiler for For future episode:
Sorry, sorry, b...but I really LOL, I really can't help it. I completely fail to qualify as a Chiaki-sama's fanboy.

Last edited by herbert; 2008-01-07 at 04:08.
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 03:24   Link #76
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Watched the first episode raw...sure, some things are different from the first season, but so far I think it has the potential to be even better. Some good comedy, good character designs and animation (except for Chiaki's gradient hair), and some pretty hilarious moments (Fujioka's facial expression, Haruka going all serious on Chiaki). Plus, Haruka-nee and onsens are a match made in heaven. I think those were her knees and not breasts in that one scene though, since I don't think she's a Z-cup...

Anyway, can't wait to see more, not to mention to see subs since the average Japanese infant would probably have caught more of the dialogue watching the raw than I did...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 10:10   Link #77
arkxkra
全力全開

this season was not bad too, better than i thought. Sure will continue watching.
For character style, I like the 1st season more.
Old 2008-01-07, 10:35   Link #78
b0nyb0y

It's definitely passable, but still not good enough. With this new art direction, a lot of eye and facial expressions were sorely missing. Unless the characters changed into that "Bible Black mode", the drawings of the eyes remain pretty much stagnant throughout. So even if the voices of the seiyus are as good and lively as before, the animation are rather lifeless. And overall, compared to the previous one, characters' movement were rather stiff too.

Unless they improve on art quality, I don't think I'll ever get used to it..
b0nyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 11:31   Link #79
Boohahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
A decent episode...
...if you can forget about the existence of the first season U_U
Bingo! There lies the problem. It is always hard when someone has already set such a high standard to begin with.

Being objective though, The 1st episode of the first season left me with better impression than the current one. From the OP theme right through the music, the unique shaped mouths, body movements and general choreography, it was just overall better.

I also prefer the old school coloring of the 1st season, the problem with some animes post 2001 is that texture coloring is too bright.

Long way to go of course, so I will keep watching since the 1st season was a blast.

PS : The new OP is more suited to a drama, adventure, action series.
Boohahaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-07, 13:05   Link #80
Okashii

Not as comedic or enjoyable as compared to the first season, imo. Also the very loud and irritating bgm is getting on my nerves.

I'll start to hate it if the bgm doesn't change.
Okashii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life