AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-30, 22:40   Link #461
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Playing with their feelings would mean he's doing it deliberately, which he's not. He's just not that kind of person. For Sachi, I think at that point in time he was more focused on survival and protecting the whole guild, rather than just one person in it, and he hadn't really settled into the game, whereas by now, he has to a degree.
Spoiler for let me use clannad as an example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
And yes, Asuna is quite the Tsundere/Yandere type, after all, most girls in anime who use guns/weapons and like someone, are always Yandere/Tsundere.
Atleast I've not seen one who wasn't Tsundere o.o''
there are a few, but of those few the majority are the extremely oblivious type, in the end i can think of a couple, and actually from what iv'e seen asuna is very straightforward.
Old 2012-08-30, 23:13   Link #462
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Regarding Kirito and girls, there's a line from Vol. 1 of the light novels that amused me - essentially, he said that when he was 14, he took all his libido and sexual energy and dumped it into playing the SAO Beta Test over the summer

I was pretty much the same when I was that age, dumping all of my libido into Wing Commander Prophecy, Command & Conquer and X-Wing Alliance. Transferring libido power to games power.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 23:22   Link #463
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Regarding Kirito and girls, there's a line from Vol. 1 of the light novels that amused me - essentially, he said that when he was 14, he took all his libido and sexual energy and dumped it into playing the SAO Beta Test over the summer

I was pretty much the same when I was that age, dumping all of my libido into Wing Commander Prophecy and Command & Conquer.
I'm 17 and I still don't care much about girls, sure I feel attracted to them but, most of them are pretty shallow and annoying, so instead of getting annoyed all the time and then suddenly unleash the wrath of a god, I just keep playing games, it is quite the way to be peaceful, since when I leave my house I got to facepalm 10/20 times a day.
But I'm the quiet/shy type in real life, so yeah....
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 23:24   Link #464
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:

I was pretty much the same when I was that age, dumping all of my libido into Wing Commander Prophecy, Command & Conquer and X-Wing Alliance. Transferring libido power to games power.
At that age, I just installed a 2x CD-Rom drive in my 486sx33, and started playing Wing Commander 2(which came with the CD-Rom and Sound Blaster Sound Card).

Those were the days...
Old 2012-08-30, 23:59   Link #465
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:

im pretty sure the libido its not something you can compansate with games, sexual energy? i think its more his sexual frustration, specially at that age, when you pretty much have the need to satisfy your libido even if it is by yourself, another thing would be having low or no sex drive(in wich the later is actually a huge problem), but from some scenesin the anime it seems quite normal.
Old 2012-08-31, 00:04   Link #466
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I thought it was to play Eroge games...

Anyway, converting sexual energy to play games... not bad. I did mine (I don't think it in anything sexual in nature) balance... both in playing games and in studying... Beating the game and getting high grades...

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-08-31 at 00:19.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 00:18   Link #467
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:

Let's see...at that age, I was busy learning all there was to know about computers on my TSR-80 and the Apple IIe. Ah, the days...
Old 2012-08-31, 00:24   Link #468
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I went through a severe depression at that age. Y'all are making me jealous. :V
Old 2012-08-31, 00:29   Link #469
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM

I am not sure it was my libido that got transfered to Ultima Online when I was that age, but something definetly went there (I am actually thinking it was a slight inferiourity complex, because I sucked so hard at sports, I had to compensate with pwn'ing everything I saw in a game... but can't say that those two things weren't related xD )

Spoiler for letting off some steam, you have been warned:
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 00:54   Link #470
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
They didn't "know better" back then, there simply weren't any casual MMO players at all in those days. They didn't exist, because the game systems didn't tolerate them. Opening up the accessibility of the games is exactly what made them popular.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 03:40   Link #471
Rakshasa

Quote:
TIE Fighter...

Also weirdly enough I had been playing Japanese games (untranslated) on MSX for years by that point. SD Snatcher is probably the most awesome game ever to be released when taking into consideration when it was made, even beating the contemporary Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.
Old 2012-08-31, 06:30   Link #472
Pokaru

There's nothing wrong with a teenager like Kirito doing that though. Not everyone is a horny monkey.

I remember I also pour my energy into playing console games at that age. Oh boy, I miss those days playing through FF7-9.
Pokaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:03   Link #473
anigu
Game maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
And yes, Asuna is quite the Tsundere/Yandere type, after all, most girls in anime who use guns/weapons and like someone, are always Yandere/Tsundere.
Atleast I've not seen one who wasn't Tsundere o.o''
Actually, I've never thought of Asuna as a Tsundere/Yandere type. She is opened and doesn't look like someone who will hate other people. And homely too with her dedication to cooking.
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:07   Link #474
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigu View Post
And homely too with her dedication to cooking.
The reason for me why Asuna goes "master chef" goes back on episode 2 . Its Kirito's fault...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:16   Link #475
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
You're... playing the wrong MMO? Try Eve maybe?

But on topic Kirito doesn't seem to keep up relations with his potential 'harem' members... at least thus far in the anime.

It's pretty much Asuna with everyone else friendzoned, literally in some cases.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:31   Link #476
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The reason for me why Asuna goes "master chef" goes back on episode 2 . Its Kirito's fault...
Actually, this is a small point that I think got missed in a lot of the discussion about the episode. I've read some opinions that were like "oh how patriarchal; the man goes to hunt while the woman cooks the food"... and with that being accompanied by the scene later where she has Kirito "protect her" (even though it was clearly an act, as shown by how it ended) combines to give an impression that the show is a lot more patriarchal than I think is ultimately intended in a broader context. Indeed, the cooking thing isn't because just she's a girl, but goes back to when Kirito showed her that food could taste good in the game. One gets the impression that she doesn't want to eat bland food, so pursuing the skill became something of a hobby of self-interest. Her ultimate decisions in the game were greatly influenced by their meeting back on their first floor. (Of course, it doesn't change the fact that it matches the stereotype in the end... but at least there's a bit of broader justification.)

As for the tsundere/yandere issue... I too never got that impression. I think she's got spunk and is trying to show that she's no helpless damsel in distress (again, might initially seem ironic but it really isn't)... but I think her attitude is mostly a way of asserting herself. She's trying to built a rapport, but wants to keep a certain distance so they can stay safely as friends (until she's more sure of how he feels). I think she's basically playing a game to try to not let on that she's interested in him as a way of hoping he'll make the first move.
Old 2012-08-31, 07:31   Link #477
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by anigu View Post
Actually, I've never thought of Asuna as a Tsundere/Yandere type. She is opened and doesn't look like someone who will hate other people. And homely too with her dedication to cooking.
Hmmm yeah, that is true, she isn't someone who will hate or try to kill other people just because of Kirito being close to others, but I dunno if there is any word that describes how she reacts other than a bit too shy.
I mean, she teases him and likes him, yet when he touched her chest she was incredibly enraged by the fact he did it, there are girls who let themselves be touched by the guy they like in anime, and there also exist this type of character, who likes but doesn't want to get touched by him.
Maybe it's because he isn't her boyfriend yet, but still...
I guess you could say she is like 10% Tsundere, since she hit Kirito pretty hard, I mean...throwing him that far away? Dayum.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 07:35   Link #478
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Actually, this is a small point that I think got missed in a lot of the discussion about the episode. I've read some opinions that were like "oh how patriarchal; the man goes to hunt while the woman cooks the food"... and with that being accompanied by the scene later where she has Kirito "protect her" (even though it was clearly an act, as shown by how it ended) combines to give an impression that the show is a lot more patriarchal than I think is ultimately intended in a broader context. Indeed, the cooking thing isn't because just she's a girl, but goes back to when Kirito showed her that food could taste good in the game. One gets the impression that she doesn't want to eat bland food, so pursuing the skill became something of a hobby of self-interest. Her ultimate decisions in the game were greatly influenced by their meeting back on their first floor. (Of course, it doesn't change the fact that it matches the stereotype in the end... but at least there's a bit of broader justification.)

As for the tsundere/yandere issue... I too never got that impression. I think she's got spunk and is trying to show that she's no helpless damsel in distress (again, might initially seem ironic but it really isn't)... but I think her attitude is mostly a way of asserting herself. She's trying to built a rapport, but wants to keep a certain distance so they can stay safely as friends (until she's more sure of how he feels). I think she's basically playing a game to try to not let on that she's interested in him as a way of hoping he'll make the first move.
True dat. I do find her (Asuna), however, as more of a Badass in Distress.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 10:31   Link #479
Adigard

Quote:
Pretty much spot on there, honestly.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-31, 11:19   Link #480
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Not to sound condescending, but the yandere thing was probably brought up by people who don't even know what defines a yandere.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion