AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-30, 22:16   Link #1101
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

What does "FOCROFLMFAO" mean? I know "LMFAO" means Laughing My F***ing A** Off, but i don't know what the beginning is.
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 22:21   Link #1102
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku Hyuga View Post
What does "FOCROFLMFAO" mean? I know "LMFAO" means Laughing My F***ing A** Off, but i don't know what the beginning is.
Falling Out of the Chair Rolling On Floor Laughing My F***ing Ass Off
Old 2008-01-30, 22:23   Link #1103
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

Thanks a lot!
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 00:23   Link #1104
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku Hyuga View Post
Incidently, google can answer this question.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 18:46   Link #1105
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I have a question is there any plan to increase the limits on the forum's signature and avatar?
Old 2008-02-04, 18:56   Link #1106
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I have a question is there any plan to increase the limits on the forum's signature and avatar?
Easy answer. No.

We have no plans of increasing the current limits. The following thread has some of the reasons why, Little suggestion...
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 00:18   Link #1107
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

TBH.. that thread is nearly 2 years old already ... well 1 and a half year to be exact ...

Anyway, since we talking about signature filesize limit .. would the mods consider of giving an exception? for example, allowing the winner of the current running SotM contest to use an extra size signature ? As in allowing the signature submission to go past 50Kb (say 100Kb) then the winner gets to use that sig *only if* they win .. *tongue in cheek* Its once a month event that we in FC subforum planning.. and I dont think that its gonna affect much bandwidth .. (*-*)

I know the chance is slim, since I already asked Sky and Klash on msn and they said ojiisan would probably wont approve... but its doesnt hurt to try *tongue in cheek*
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 01:52   Link #1108
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

That would be amusing, but I'm afraid it would be troublesome for us. It is an unofficial contest, yet doing this would require that we remember all SotM contest winners. If a moderator forgets about the contest for a moment we'd end up getting embarassed and having to revoke the infraction later... as your avatar would say, "mendoukusai." I guess you'll have to stipulate that the 50,000 byte limit is a challenge of the contest.

I know you were hoping this proposal would get as far as ojisan, but you'll have to settle for my disapproval.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-02-05, 04:27   Link #1109
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

What's the difference between CD/DVD burner and CD/DVD drive? They look the same to me...

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 04:29   Link #1110
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
What's the difference between CD/DVD burner and CD/DVD drive? They look the same to me...
In general usage, there is no difference - people seem to refer to them the same way. However, a burner can write to CDs and DVDs in addition to being able to read them. A regular drive can only read CDs/DVDs.
Old 2008-02-05, 05:03   Link #1111
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

On a similar note...

Why can't DVD-ROM dics that already have stuff on them be over-written? I was trying to backup my hard drive but it said to use an another disc because the one I inserted had information on it. What's up with that? Can information/data only be burned onto a disc once or something?
Old 2008-02-05, 05:06   Link #1112
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Can information/data only be burned onto a disc once or something?
In a word: yes.

However, you can re-use a disk if you've not used all of the space already, your burning software supports adding sessions and the disk isn't closed. Overwriting or adding files that way will slow the disk down though. I personally don't like that method, so only ever write complete disks, starting a new one each time. You probably want to use R/W (ReWritable) media if you want to erase and re-use the whole disk in the way you describe.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 05:08   Link #1113
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
In general usage, there is no difference - people seem to refer to them the same way. However, a burner can write to CDs and DVDs in addition to being able to read them. A regular drive can only read CDs/DVDs.
Ah thanks, luckily I got a burner instead of a drive without knowing that. *phew*

@Spectacular_Insanity: What you're looking for is DVD+RW or DVD-RW

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 16:18   Link #1114
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
On a similar note...

Why can't DVD-ROM dics that already have stuff on them be over-written? I was trying to backup my hard drive but it said to use an another disc because the one I inserted had information on it. What's up with that? Can information/data only be burned onto a disc once or something?
It depends on the disc. If you have a DVD-RW (rewritable) you'd be able to erase the data on the disc and write to it again. So why can't all DVDs be rewritten? I did a quick search and couldn't find the full-on scientific explanation, but the reason very likely has to do with the layer on the disc.

When you burn a CD or a DVD, the data is written onto a foil layer in the form of microscopic pits (if I remember how the technology works properly). For regular CDs/DVDs the layer can likely only be altered once. For a CDRW/DVDRW, the layer can be reset, as the layer is likely made out of a different material. If you've heard of dual layer DVDs, then the concept of writing to a layer should be familiar to you.

As Nightwish mentioned, it's sometimes possible to continue writing to a disc if it isn't 100% filled by use of multisessions. Multisessions can be a bit tricky, though. In my experience, multisession data written by one brand of CD/DVD burner may not be readable in another. If you want to maximize compatibility, don't use multisessions and ensure that your burning software is either set to not use multisessions, or to finalize the disc (both have the same effect; certain software use different terminology).
Old 2008-02-05, 16:24   Link #1115
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

*adds to Ledgems posting: one looses space for lead in and lead out data for every multisession session, so even if there are only small changes, the space will shrink considerable because of lead in and lead out data.
Old 2008-02-05, 19:03   Link #1116
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

True, but does it really matter on a DVD? I know when I was using CR-ROM the lead in and lead out was a notable amount, but on a DVD that shouldn't be a considerable amount of data, right? Or is the required space for lead in and lead out larger?

Old 2008-02-05, 19:49   Link #1117
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Easy answer. No.

We have no plans of increasing the current limits. The following thread has some of the reasons why, Little suggestion...
Oh well I suppose take what you can get. Though maybe you guys could give a thought in year or two? Also I have second question, how is the rep point and negative rep point calculated when you give to someone?
Old 2008-02-05, 20:03   Link #1118
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Ah thanks, luckily I got a burner instead of a drive without knowing that. *phew*

@Spectacular_Insanity: What you're looking for is DVD+RW or DVD-RW
That's what I meant. I am using that. I just couldn't remember the exact type. thanks for the info, in any case.

Sorry, I have another question:

What does it mean to "clear your cache"? How do you do it, and what does it do? Related problem: I am getting a SQL error (I think that's what it's called) on anime-planet.com that said this:

Quote:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagettfbbox() in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 32
I don't even know what the heck that MEANS, much less how to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Edit: Great, the error is different now. T_T

It says:

Quote:
Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 508

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php:508) in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 533
Now I'm even more confused.
Old 2008-02-05, 20:14   Link #1119
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That's what I meant. I am using that. I just couldn't remember the exact type. thanks for the info, in any case.

Sorry, I have another question:

What does it mean to "clear your cache"? How do you do it, and what does it do?
Cache in browser terms mean the disk space used by your browser when you surf the net. The website, images etc are first downloaded to your PC before it can be displayed. Those files are retained on your PC so that the next time you visit the same site, it loads faster as some files are already on your PC. You can clear your cache under the browser settings, usually named "Clear temporary internet files", "Clear cache", "Clear History", etc.

Googling the terms gave me this site "How to clear browser cache"
http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/021198I.html

Quote:
Related problem: I am getting a SQL error (I think that's what it's called) on anime-planet.com that said this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function imagettfbbox() in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 32

I don't even know what the heck that MEANS, much less how to fix it.

Can anyone help?

Edit: Great, the eroor is different now. T_T

It says:

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 508

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php:508) in /home/anime/public_html/users/signatures/gd.php on line 533

Now I'm even more confused.
It's probably problems with their PHP scripts, nothing to do with your side.
"Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent" is a common PHP warning when you add scripts before html headers.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 20:19   Link #1120
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

^ Thanks for the info! I cleared my cache and for some reason it seem to have worked. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious