AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana S II OVA - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 1 2.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 45.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 29.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 10.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-28, 07:11   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Shakugan no Shana S OVA - Episode 3 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shakugan no Shana S OVA, Episode 3.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2010-06-29, 20:31   Link #2
OkamiNoKaze

Wow, no one else has seen this yet? or at least commented, this is a first for me. I thought it was pretty good, did leave me kind of hanging there, I hope there is at least one more of these.
Old 2010-06-29, 20:34   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Actually, I was waiting for the other Shana fans to post. And yes, it was weird to find none posting the same day that this topic was opened.

As for the episode, it made me genuinely scared at Shana for the first time, as if she was an antagonist at that time. Poor Junko.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-29, 21:11   Link #4
OkamiNoKaze

It's quite clear that this episode is a prequel of sorts right? set before season 1.
Old 2010-06-29, 21:51   Link #5
OmniDragon

Should take place right before Shana meets Yuji.
Old 2010-06-30, 08:14   Link #6
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I hope there is at least one more of these.
There is precisely one more OVA confirmed... and I'm reasonably sure it's a part two of this one.

...which I haven't seen yet.
Old 2010-06-30, 15:28   Link #7
Deathscyther

Good episode. It showed how ruthless Shana acted and felt before meeting Yuji. She acted like a real flame haze. A tool without feelings. Although I already sensed some confusion from her at times during the episode.

And ohh...did anyone else see the little scene after the ending song? =o
I guess season 3 isn't that far away anymore
Old 2010-06-30, 19:01   Link #8
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The scene where she was at the crossroads? One way goes to Yosegi City, the other goes to Misaki City.

If the shadowy figure is the one you're talking about, it's the culprit behind all this, Ukobach.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-07-02, 22:52   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Ok, it's been a while since I last said anything like this but...

That was fucking amazing.

The episode covered concepts that drew me to it in the first place, and expanded upon it. I always found the concept of not only disappearing but fading away to be frightening. So enter Shana someone, that's so desensitized to it, that nothing matters anymore. You'd have to wonder about her having to assume to memories and identity of a torch, and having to show fake feelings and fake interaction with the people around you. That kind of existence disconnects you from everything. But at the end, she realizes "hey, she'll forget her daugher anyways, but oh well... why not?"

9/10 Thanks for reminding me why I like this series.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-04, 23:45   Link #10
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
It was nice to briefly see Shana back in her attire from episode 1 of the very first season. That's really a cool, badass look for her. Makes me think of The Punisher and Wolverine from Marvel Comics. Kind of appropriate, too, as Shana's cold exterior and ruthless reasoning that's dedicated purely to "the cause" reminds me quite a bit of Frank Castle here. Although even Frank wasn't quite this socially awkward, or emotionally numb.

Shana's not antagonistic here, so much as she's totally consumed with her Flame Haze role, and the war with the tomogara. Seeing this prequel episode is interesting in that it shows just how massive an effect Yuji would eventually have on her. It also brings the darkest aspects of this anime back into focus.

The episode was also visually stunning, which is to be expected.

That being said, I didn't like it quite as much as Archon_Wing did. The episode felt just a bit plodding to me, and I generally like seeing a lot of action scenes in Shana, which this episode lacked.

Nonetheless, this was a decent episode in that it serves as a good reminder of what Shana used to be like, and of just how dark the world of Shakugan no Shana is just below the surface.

8/10.
Old 2010-07-05, 00:26   Link #11
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

That being said, I didn't like it quite as much as Archon_Wing did. The episode felt just a bit plodding to me, and I generally like seeing a lot of action scenes in Shana, which this episode lacked.
Omg, how dare you disagree with me!!11 j/k Personally, I thought those dark and morbid concepts that were at the beginning of the series were very interesting but they never really touched upon it that much.

But yea, S has been quite lacking in action. Although the goal of S seems to be providing more background info, we do need some action going which I think will be next OVA.

Wait, that's gonna be forever. Damn :/

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-05, 21:00   Link #12
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

the action will come on season 3 I just know it!

for this episode...I'll just copy/paste what Archon said, love the episode and gave it 9/10

I for one...have loved all the episodes of this OVA because of what they try to convey.

Ep 1 - Shana and Yuji's relationship
Ep 2 - Yuji and Wilhelmina's relationship
Ep 3 - Shana's inner thoughts pre-Yuji
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2010-07-05, 22:55   Link #13
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I agree too with Archon's thoughts on this OVA episode, though it also showed Shana had no clue at all how to deal with humans in general before meeting Yuji . I enjoyed it fairly well, so 8/10 for me.
MAL
Old 2010-07-06, 00:59   Link #14
yajra03

this episode was quite boring for me..

"nope, god hates us. even if we go, he'll send us back"
Old 2010-07-06, 02:35   Link #15
alvinkhorfire

If I am not mistaken, only in this episode, we only get to see a much younger version of Shana who was just a small child. I still do not understand the meaning of the OP which features this younger Shana.
Old 2010-07-06, 07:39   Link #16
Elf song

I think there's NO any meaning to feature young Shana in the OP.
Overture is obviously not focusing on her past in Tendokyu.

Can't wait for the next OVA.
Old 2010-07-08, 04:34   Link #17
alvinkhorfire

Elf song, thanks for your explaination.

Too bad, Junko is the only torch whom Shana can only find after searching all day. No wonder, Shana is in no mood to elaborate more about Flame Haze and torch to Junko. What makes Junko's "death" even more pitiful is that she still has a lot of power of existence remaining. She has already survived for 3 days and retained much of her emotion and normal life, so her flame should not extinguish for at least a few more days. Well, I can't wait for the next OVA, so that the culprit responsible for devouring Junko will be eliminated once and for all.

Last edited by alvinkhorfire; 2010-07-09 at 03:50.
Old 2010-07-08, 21:01   Link #18
chaos_animagic

Yea... watching OVA3

Shana as a emotionless tool that is only focused on the job and can't understand what emotions are...

I feel sad for Junko... she was just about to made up with her mother when she got hit by Shana...

Funny thing is... if Shana have Junko's power of existence and seems to know of her memories by following those orangy tube things...
Why can't Shana figure out where Junko went? Cause all she had to do is follow the tube things... than she can also see the "pictures" of Junko and what she did...

And yea... the "young" shana in the OP only appeared for like 3 sec in OVA3... where it was Wilhelmina serving food to Shana.
Old 2010-07-12, 18:22   Link #19
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah I really feel bad for Junko after watching this. It's like she was ruthlessly killed twice now. Kind of makes you think back to how upset Yuji was about Hirai and she just ran out of time. With Junko she was at least going to reconcile with her mother, but got taken out by Shana. Sure in the end there might not be a difference since her mother's memories will vanish. But she really was trying to accomplish one small thing before she left.

Just reminds you how much Shana has changed over the course of the series. She really couldn't do something like that now. Wonder how much Shana thinks back about the things that have happened during her time as a Flame Haze?

Anyways an episode that reminds you that small tragedies like that happen all the time.
Old 2010-07-12, 21:03   Link #20
Qikz

9/10 for me, really enjoyed it and came as a suprise on my birthday! I forgot the OVA series still had more to come. Did they explain who that American Man was in the series? I can't actually remember, hopefully they'll touch on it next OVA.

I still want them to make a third season!
Closed Thread