Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-11-06, 09:43   Link #41
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Why watch a show you don't like?

Just to make sure that my reasons for hating it is reasonable and has a point... or just to finish the show, probably the ending might change my mind

You can't be sure until you completely finished it....

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-11-06 at 09:54.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 09:52   Link #42
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
This thing popped me recently as well. When I think of something like this, maybe the viewers try to find a peculiar show that was originally planned to enjoy and like it, only to end up hating a lot so they have no choice but to continue watching until the end as an excuse to find everything's wrong in-show. There's some that portray them very well, like Seven of SeventhStyle or Flawfinder.
I portray it well? Hahaha

There are several factors that cause me to watch shows I don't like. Popularity, my own masochism, etc. I will say though that length and time is a very important factor. For example, I dropped Tempest because it was annoying me, I don't know the episode length, AND I don't have time to watch it with all the other Thursday shows that come out. SAO is...well...it's too big to ignore. Plus, it's fun to watch in its own way.

Also, I don't like the statement "It gets better". It may get better, but that doesn't change the fact that those first few episodes are a pain. And if it takes over half the series to get better, then I can't call it a good series.

But yeah, I do like anime. I wouldn't be blogging about it if I didn't.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 10:09   Link #43
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Many won't publicly admit it, but there is enjoyment to be derived from bashing things. So, entertainment can be derived directly from an anime, or indirectly by enjoying finding faults with it.

That said, I do try to limit my grousing to one-two posts, and then drop out of threads of shows I dislike (and, most shows I dislike, I don't post in their threads at all). In fact, I think I have as many-if not more-posts in non-anime threads here than actual anime ones, largely because it's difficult to have real conversations unless a show is original material and garnering overwhelmingly positive vibes (or is original material and flying under the radar so there are only a handful of people posting about it). That combination of conditions are fairly rare. In the recent past, I'd probably peg Madoka Magica (poster child of what I said), Steins;Gate (anomaly due to not being original material, yet escaped being bogged down by constant comparisons to source), and Penguin Drum (relatively very few commentators helped in fostering real discussion I think), as the most recent shows where it was primarily actual discussion about plot/characters over reactionary posts (both positive or negative).

An internet community that only allowed non-negative discussion could be an interesting experiment I suppose, but would take a lot of work and I suspect would be forced to be a very closed circle in terms of specific participants.

Animesuki is probably the most moderated open anime community as it currently is, so you can always console yourself with the knowledge that it could be FAR worse.

All that said, if negativity bugs you that much, you can always take matters into your hands and use the ignore function to simply ignore a user's posts. Ignored user's posts won't show up at all in any threads you read.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 10:37   Link #44
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
All that said, if negativity bugs you that much, you can always take matters into your hands and use the ignore function to simply ignore a user's posts. Ignored user's posts won't show up at all in any threads you read.
If I said that seeing people posting negative comments every time for series that I enjoy didn't bug me, I'd be lying.
But that doesn't mean I think they should stop, or that they are doing something wrong. It is their right to do so and it would be too much to forbid that as a rule.
In the end it doesn't bug me that much, and like you said I have always the option to ignore those comments.

I don't think that the author of this topic started it for the purpose of venting his frustration or anything. I think that he, just like me, is simply curious to know why would someone keep watching an anime when apparently he doesn't like it.
It's a legit question I think.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 13:00   Link #45
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawfinder View Post
Also, I don't like the statement "It gets better". It may get better, but that doesn't change the fact that those first few episodes are a pain. And if it takes over half the series to get better, then I can't call it a good series.

But yeah, I do like anime. I wouldn't be blogging about it if I didn't.
This is not just for animes but for many kind of media, like movies, books and tv series as well. There are great movies out there that have a long and slow buildup that ends up paying off because of the ending, like the audition.

It simply means that those kind of series is not meant for you. But to call such series that have slow buildups overall bad, is kind of harsh.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 13:12   Link #46
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm a completionist. If I knew a show was bad I wouldn't get into it in the first place so more often than not a series just ends up disappointing if it's closer to offending me than pleasing me. Besides, in the event someone asks for my opinion on the work then I'd actually like to know what I'm talking about.

Y'know what really puzzles me though? How I managed complete series that I hated more than most of the things in my dropped list. Riddle me that, ASers.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 13:22   Link #47
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
As Reckoner stated before, sometimes "bad" is better than "boring". Boring does nothing but waste your time. At least with "bad", you can complain on the internet or tell a cool story to your friends.

"Dude I watched this anime, and boobs do not work that way!"
As opposed to
"Meh... nothing to say."

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 13:40   Link #48
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
As Reckoner stated before, sometimes "bad" is better than "boring". Boring does nothing but waste your time. At least with "bad", you can complain on the internet or tell a cool story to your friends.

"Dude I watched this anime, and boobs do not work that way!"
As opposed to
"Meh... nothing to say."
Exactly, not to mention that if something is spectacularly bad, it'll provide plenty of snarky chuckles throughout. Unless something is so offensively bad that it actually makes you angry. Which can happen, depending on your personality. (It's happened to me, but it is exceedingly rare.)

Usually, the worst thing a show can be mediocre and boring. You can only complain about forced fall-on-breasts jokes so many times.
Old 2012-11-06, 23:44   Link #49
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Usually, the worst thing a show can be mediocre and boring.
Semantics-wise, I'd like to request clarification I've seen the term mediocre used quite frequently in the context of media. Mediocre is a term without a single, fixed, qualitative value. On one hand, it refers to something that falls directly between good and bad. However, I assume that most people are using the term in a context as to refer works that are inferior and unsatisfying to watch?
Old 2012-11-07, 01:56   Link #50
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Mediocre is a term without a single, fixed, qualitative value.
That goes for many other terms. "good" could be a very positive judgement for someone who thinks that's the best he can expect from something, but at the same time it could mean "good but nothing more than that", for someone who expects something fantastic and awesome.

In a scale between 1 and 10 "mediocre" by strict definition should be between 5 and 6. But there are probably people who'd still consider mediocre a "7", while to some others "7" is a positive vote.

Personally I consider an anime mediocre when, while I don't particularly dislike it, it leaves me with the feeling that I wouldn't have lost absolutely anything if I never watched it. And that it implies that it didn't show me anything that I didn't watch already, it wasn't particularly interesting, it didn't have a particular art style and so on.

Old 2012-11-07, 02:12   Link #51
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
Semantics-wise, I'd like to request clarification I've seen the term mediocre used quite frequently in the context of media. Mediocre is a term without a single, fixed, qualitative value. On one hand, it refers to something that falls directly between good and bad. However, I assume that most people are using the term in a context as to refer works that are inferior and unsatisfying to watch?
It can be a tricky word, since it can, as you rightly point out, essentially mean both "average" and "below average".

My usage would be the latter, essentially a show that isn't quite horrible, but rather bland and uninspired.
Old 2012-11-07, 03:44   Link #52
stormtrooper

Like Akito, I'm a completionist too.

When I finish a series, it removes the 3 episode rule, the 20% rule, the 7 episode rule and so on. To be honest, I don't know how people invented it but it might be just them noticing strange patterns in an anime. I get the best and the worst of that anime. Statements like "The first x episodes were good but after that, it went downhill." or "It will get better in the next few episodes." will be avoided.
Old 2012-11-07, 07:24   Link #53
jdennis007

I have been guilty of bashing myself, I did it with Queen's Blade Rebellion. Most of my bashing was because they took the story for it and, ignored it completely, and utterly. Once i was able to get past that, I did find that i was able to enjoy the show for what it was.

Normally though if I don't like a show I would rather just drop it then keep watching something that I do not like, there are too many shows around to waste my time on something I hate.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-07, 19:49   Link #54
Insane
Banned

My only concern about those people that love to bash off a show is that they usually leave ill feeling for those that enjoy the show, and inevitably will ruin the discussions in a forum. I frequently visit animeultima forum where those kind of people always go "criticism is fine, bashing a show is also OK as long as you can prove your points" which is somewhat wrong for me. I mean, if a show doesn't interest you, then don't watch it. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to waste 20+ minutes of your life.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 02:11   Link #55
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Like what is going on with the Little Busters! subforum. Geez, the flak that series is receiving is horrendous.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 02:58   Link #56
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Little Busters! Is a particularly unlucky case. Not only it's being compared to the original Visual Novel, it's also being compared to Kyoani.

The problem with adaptions is that the fans of the original works will most likely watch them even if they suck. But hey, that's one of the reasons (if not the first) anime studios prefer to do adaptions than original works.

Old 2012-11-08, 02:59   Link #57
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
My only concern about those people that love to bash off a show is that they usually leave ill feeling for those that enjoy the show, and inevitably will ruin the discussions in a forum. I frequently visit animeultima forum where those kind of people always go "criticism is fine, bashing a show is also OK as long as you can prove your points" which is somewhat wrong for me. I mean, if a show doesn't interest you, then don't watch it. Nobody's holding you at gunpoint and forcing you to waste 20+ minutes of your life.
Bashing a show and criticizing are two different things. Criticizers, more often than not, enjoy the show but are not blind to some "inconsistencies" that may arise here and there, IMO. Bashers, on the other hand, tend to just vent out no matter what the show does. Your statement sticks to those people. But frankly from what I have seen on threads(here on AS) of new(popular/hyped) shows is that fans just don't want ANY kind of criticism targeted at their show - even if its legit. Enjoying a show is one thing, turning a blind eye on its drawbacks is another.

The only show I absolutely detested after the first 4-5 ep and still watched was School Days. And that was because I had all the time in the world and I HAD to see what was so good about it >_> Now that I'm in college that's just not happening again.
Old 2012-11-08, 03:31   Link #58
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
But frankly from what I have seen on threads(here on AS) of new(popular/hyped) shows is that fans just don't want ANY kind of criticism targeted at their show - even if its legit. Enjoying a show is one thing, turning a blind eye on its drawbacks is another.
I get neg repped everytime I mention a flaw in SAO... It's like... jesus calm down I'm also enjoying SAO I'm just mentioning flaws that I can see.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 03:46   Link #59
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ Like what is going on with the Little Busters! subforum. Geez, the flak that series is receiving is horrendous.
Although I personally enjoy Little Busters, it does look kinda cheap and I'm afraid it kinda deserves some of the criticisms it gets. But not all. My personal thought is that people are more Kyoani fans than Key fans though since a lot of the complaints towards LB's more banal activities can be found in its other works. Clannad and Kanon weren't particularly interesting til quite a few episodes in, after all.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-08, 04:30   Link #60
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Well, for bloggers like me, sometimes the way to expand your vision on anime is to watch everything which is from the best and to the crappiest. Also, a show being terrible in every single way does not automatically mean that it's not enjoyable.