AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-03-28, 16:22   Link #4221
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Anybody see any qualifiing action?

Gotta say, even though our players need work on offense, I'm proud of the US getting the draw at Mexico when it mattered. We did get lucky with some calls though, lol!

So what's up with the three lions?
Not losing at the Azteca is good result, tough venue to play in for most away teams.

Watched Holland versus Romania, the team played well and a good result. Unexpectedly Van Gaal has managed to built a talented new young squad during the qualifiers and managed to fit in Van Persie, who had been useless for the NT until recently.

Only saw the highlights of the England match. Seemed like a typical case of a better team that didn't decide the match and allowed the opponent to draw level on effort. Afaik Hodgson has done reasonable well and, while not clinical, the squad has shown some quality play at times during the campaign.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 18:43   Link #4222
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Anybody see any qualifiing action?
I watched Bolivia-Argentina, that goal that Messi missed, the Bolivian's Goalkeeper just got a good story for his childrens, also watched Venezuela-Colombia ( my team), didn't like the formation, but Colombia played good, Venezuela is getting strong this past time, they stop being the "cinderella" of Southamerica.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:58   Link #4223
Azuma Denton
~AD~

What??
Gervinho scores again??

Anyway a really good game for Arsenal today. The fluid attacking, the midfield run, the technique, i am satisfied.
Looks like Wenger's threat successfully motivated the team. Too bad it's too late.
Now let's hope the positive result continue and Arsenal can get the best result from the rest of campaign.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 19:50   Link #4224
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I seriously believe that Manchester United should do what Bayern Munich did in the early 2000s when they stopped recruiting local prospects while aiming at several foreigners to make the backbone of their 2001 Champions League-winning squad (Sagnol, Lixarazu, Kuffour, Hargreaves, Andersson, Giovane, Salihamidzic, etc.). Whether people approve this way of doing or not, Bayern's signing of several foreigners forced the DFB to radically change the way to teach younger players in Germany. As a result, German football as a whole improved a hell lot to be what they are today.

So far, City, Arsenal and Chelsea stopped recruiting English players, but not much has changed in the FA system. However, if Manchester United (the big cheese of English football) comes out in the future and openly stops recruiting English players, it should be the arlarm signal the FA needs to change their ways. I know what I propose here (stop recruiting English among top PL teams) will rub a few feathers among British members here and I'm sorry if it offends some, but I strongly believe that the only way to change things with England is for clubs to take such radical measures. It's about doing one bad thing with the purpose of bringing greater good further down the road.
I am not English but let me share my point of view: I don't think that not recruiting any English players while recruiting foreigners is going to solve any problem, it might even make things worse.

The young players won't learn anything because youth academies do not work along with the first teams, and only a couple of youngsters are usually integrated during the first team's practice, or only during certain times of the year (during summer, or during the winter break)

If you want to grow better youngsters you need to have good youth coaches, there's no other way around. Sure, having an influential figure in the first team acting as a role model to learn from is a good thing but don't expect it to work like that because the youth squads spend most of their time training on their own and playing against other youth teams. The majority of the work in the developement of a young player will always be done by the staff that works within the academy.

Mind you I am telling you this because I work in one of these academies myself (I'll let you guess which one), I know how young prospects get developed.

Last edited by Shinndou; 2013-04-01 at 20:05.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 02:51   Link #4225
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
(I'll let you guess which one)
Internazionale? Oh I know! Torino F.C. :P Jokes aside, what do you do at the youth academy, is it your full time job?
Old 2013-04-02, 03:38   Link #4226
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I teach. That's all I can say.
Old 2013-04-04, 12:23   Link #4227
Bri

First set of matches from the CL quarters brought fairly little excitement.

PSG did well and was tactically sound against Barcalona but the result still highly favors the visitors. Real Madrid simply outclassed Galatasaray. Dortmund forgot to score but as one of the best counter attacking sides are better away from home. Juventus lack of quality forwards hurt them against Bayern who locked down the opponent with surprising ease.

I have my doubts whether there will be any surprises to make it the semi's.
Old 2013-04-04, 12:40   Link #4228
Blaat

I think Malaga has the best chance of causing an upset if only because they need one away goal to get in a good position not sure how realistic it is for them on getting that one goal.
Quote:
I teach. That's all I can say.
So in a years a certain animesukier might end up being a top football coach in a top league?
Old 2013-04-04, 17:07   Link #4229
Bri

Yeah I agree, if there is any upset Malaga is in the best position to do so. Dortmund was the dominant team but Malaga had their chances.

Europa League tonight, only Chelsea seems a sure bet to progress. Don't fancy Tottenham's chances, if Basel can repeat their impressive performance. Benfica and Fenerbache got the desired results but looked far from comfortable from what I have seen. Both sides still face tough away matches.
Old 2013-04-05, 06:26   Link #4230
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I think Malaga has the best chance of causing an upset if only because they need one away goal to get in a good position not sure how realistic it is for them on getting that one goal.
So in a years a certain animesukier might end up being a top football coach in a top league?
haha no I am no coach.
I am a teacher, within the youth academy.

Regarding Bayern's game, we pretty much got dominated. In my very personal opinion what made us play this poorly was due to the following reasons:

On Bayern's side:
- Bayern clearly studied us, so they always had atleast one man marking Pirlo tightly, preventing him to take control of the midfield.

- Ironically Kroos' injury proved to be a blessing, Robben's entrance and performance on the right flank was too much for Peluso who in my opinion still lacks a lot of international experience (but it's not like playing Asamoah instead of Peluso would have made a huge of a difference)

- Mandzukic was everywhere, harassing Pirlo or pressing Bonucci, that was another reason why our plays couldn't flow well as usual

on Juventus' side:
- Generally poor performance by everyone, in particular by Matri, Quagliarella and Marchisio. Lot of silly mistakes.

- But, the most important reason, again in my very own opinion, was because our forwards were two first strikers. Not having Vucinic (or Giovinco) being able to start because of injuries/fintess hurt us really really bad.

While both Vucinic and Giovinco are not tipical scorers, the reason why Conte usually likes to play with two support strikers upfront is exactly to respond to the opponent man-marking Pirlo. Other teams in the current season have tried to seal Pirlo's plays and the answer to that relies in the use of Bonucci and the two support strikers as an alternative link during the offensive phase. If any of you have watched other Juventus' games, you might have noticed that when Vucinic and/or Giovinco are playing, one of the two draws back near the midfield, gets the ball while letting both midfield and wingers move forward near the penalty area, eventually starting a serie a of short range passes between each other. This is one of the reasons why Juventus, despite lacking a real bomber upfront, has managed to score so many goals so far, because everyone is brought near the penalty area making any player into a potential threat.

This is what lacked vs Bayern. Matri and Quagliarella are not capable of doing what Vucinic or Giovinco do, since they're first strikers who prefer to attack forward "on the run" rather than falling back to let the whole team move the barycenter upfront. Given that Bayern was man-marking Pirlo and pressing Bonucci, everytime the ball was handed to Matri he was unable to hold it (thanks also to Van Buyten sticking close to him).

The moment Vucinic and Giovinco both joined in Juventus' game gradually started flowing again. It was too late though and I can't blame Conte since Vucinic was recovering from a flu and Giovinco wasn't fully fit either because of that almost career-ending foul he suffered by Cambiasso's hands (or rather feet) last Saturday.

While losing in Munich would have been easily predictable, what is going to hurt for the next leg is not having managed to score atleast once. Had the score been 2-1 the returning leg would certainly look a lot less like an uphill battle.
Old 2013-04-05, 19:23   Link #4231
Bri

Quote:
- But, the most important reason, again in my very own opinion, was because our forwards were two first strikers. Not having Vucinic (or Giovinco) being able to start because of injuries/fintess hurt us really really bad.

While both Vucinic and Giovinco are not tipical scorers, the reason why Conte usually likes to play with two support strikers upfront is exactly to respond to the opponent man-marking Pirlo. Other teams in the current season have tried to seal Pirlo's plays and the answer to that relies in the use of Bonucci and the two support strikers as an alternative link during the offensive phase. If any of you have watched other Juventus' games, you might have noticed that when Vucinic and/or Giovinco are playing, one of the two draws back near the midfield, gets the ball while letting both midfield and wingers move forward near the penalty area, eventually starting a serie a of short range passes between each other. This is one of the reasons why Juventus, despite lacking a real bomber upfront, has managed to score so many goals so far, because everyone is brought near the penalty area making any player into a potential threat.

This is what lacked vs Bayern. Matri and Quagliarella are not capable of doing what Vucinic or Giovinco do, since they're first strikers who prefer to attack forward "on the run" rather than falling back to let the whole team move the barycenter upfront. Given that Bayern was man-marking Pirlo and pressing Bonucci, everytime the ball was handed to Matri he was unable to hold it (thanks also to Van Buyten sticking close to him).

The moment Vucinic and Giovinco both joined in Juventus' game gradually started flowing again. It was too late though and I can't blame Conte since Vucinic was recovering from a flu and Giovinco wasn't fully fit either because of that almost career-ending foul he suffered by Cambiasso's hands (or rather feet) last Saturday.
Thanks for the insights from the Juventus perspective, it's very interesting.

One question, don't you think Conte would have started with at least one prima punta like Matri regardless of Vucinic and Giovinco's match fitness? I can imagine he wanted to sit deep and break (like against Celtic away) although Bayerns early goal made that less appealing.

Juventus has imo the best defensive unit of the remaining teams in the CL, but too bring the center of gravity of the team forward during attacks would require a high defensive line to keep the lines compact for the passing game. That seems awfully risky against teams like Bayern that have serious speed up front.
Old 2013-04-06, 02:16   Link #4232
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
One question, don't you think Conte would have started with at least one prima punta like Matri regardless of Vucinic and Giovinco's match fitness? I can imagine he wanted to sit deep and break (like against Celtic away) although Bayerns early goal made that less appealing.
Had Vucinic or Giovinco been fully fit then he might have done that, it would have made sense. Afterall it's not necessary to have both Vucinic and Giovinco at the same time on the pitch, but atleast having one of the two filling that important role of working as an added link when Pirlo is man-marked is crucial. If you have them both it's even better but of course that means not playing with a first striker which can be a gamble against phisically strong defenses like Bayern's.

In personal preference I would pair up Vucinic with Matri. I consider Quagliarella to be individually better than Matri but the latter has better chemistry when playing with Vucinic.

Sitting down against Bayern doesn't work at all since they're good at creating spaces with good positioning and speed, but their defense isn't fast either and I am sure it can be opened up, provided that we are in control of our usual passing game either through Pirlo or through Vucinic.

Quote:
Juventus has imo the best defensive unit of the remaining teams in the CL, but too bring the center of gravity of the team forward during attacks would require a high defensive line to keep the lines compact for the passing game. That seems awfully risky against teams like Bayern that have serious speed up front.
It depends on how you pull it off. Usually the way we do it is not to push the defensive line immediately forward, the team usually moves gradually upfront by passing the ball around and making sure that the whole midfield is advancing. That will automatically bring the defensive line forward too. Of course it's vital not to make any mistakes, though I said that our defense should be fast enough, it's better to avoid having the opponent playing on the counter.

But it's not like we have much of a choice, next leg is either do or die. I hope the players don't get nervous or in a hurry, I think we still have a chance albeit very slim.
Old 2013-04-09, 15:44   Link #4233
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Yeah I agree, if there is any upset Malaga is in the best position to do so. Dortmund was the dominant team but Malaga had their chances.
Malaga were two minutes away from causing an upset and then they conceded two goals in injury time.

Unbelievable.

Galatarasay were also close to an upset, where would Real be without Ronaldo.
Old 2013-04-09, 16:27   Link #4234
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Dortmund vs Malaga was an absolute thrill, though both Malaga's second goal and Dortmund's third were offside.
Old 2013-04-09, 16:33   Link #4235
Bri

Wonderful match for the neutral fan with insane final minutes. Must be so heartbreaking for Malaga to give it away just at the end.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:04   Link #4236
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Epic matches for this round of CL.

Like Bri above, as a neutral they're just fun football for me.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 15:42   Link #4237
Aqua Knight

Pity PSG didn't score just 1 more
And a stupid video for this match as well when Messi was so eager to enter the play
Old 2013-04-10, 16:15   Link #4238
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

WTF Messi? Is the girlfriend doing a lousy job these days, so much that he's reduced to doing that or what?
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 01:48   Link #4239
Bri

Semi finales: Bundesliga vs La Liga. Almost the entire national sides of Spain and Germany accounted for. Scary.

Wembley must be thrilled at the possiblity of an all German cup final.

Last edited by Bri; 2013-04-11 at 12:09.
Old 2013-04-11, 09:05   Link #4240
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

This has been what the sport has been calling for. Great news.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer