AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-06, 10:47   Link #401
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
*facepalm*

Pass on Osu. They're messing up names, HORRIBLY.

Since when was Tear's full first name spelled as "Vestealca".

<_______<

PEOPLE. WAIT FOR ABYSSAL CHRONICLES.
Old 2008-10-06, 10:48   Link #402
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

How horrible? And names aside, the grammar, accuracy, fonts?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 10:56   Link #403
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
How horrible? And names aside, the grammar, accuracy, fonts?
The subs are accurate in terms of grammar, but like I mentioned before, a lot of names are wrong (with regard to the Japanese or English spellings). The font is also fine.

There are a few nitpicks though like the somewhat unnatural use of Japanese honorifics for a story that doesn't take in Japan (but then again, Abyssal Chronicles may choose to do the same). Also, the ED karaoke TL is missing.
Old 2008-10-06, 11:01   Link #404
Farplaner

How about the sub done by weib? Has anybody checked them out yet?
Farplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:06   Link #405
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farplaner View Post
How about the sub done by weib? Has anybody checked them out yet?
Not worth your time. Playback has been far too problematic for both the softsubbed and hardsubbed versions from what I hear. It plays on my PC, but the whole fansub just looks cheap and unrefined.
Old 2008-10-06, 11:06   Link #406
Averdant
Why so serious?
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Averdant
I have Weib. There's nothing particularly wrong, or stunning about them, they're just average. I feel that they need to work on their editing though. Also, some names are translated wrong. For example, Kimlasca-Lanvaldear is done as Kimlasca Lambrodia, and Pere is done as Pel.

The only thing which stood out is how they stated Luke's father was confining him to the mansion, instead of his Uncle, when it is clearly said that it was his Uncle.
Averdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:08   Link #407
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

Hello all, I'd like to invite you all to try out our subs for Tales of the Abyss, both episodes 1 and 2 have just been made available on the Nyaa torrent listings

Episode 1:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=35181

Episode 2:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=35213

I was very excited when I found out that the Tales of the Abyss anime had recently aired. Having played the game years ago I could vaguely remember loving the character development and giving the story a 26 episode treatment was just what the doctor ordered.

My initial shot at the translation came from just a simple set of .srt subrip soft subs to which I distributed amongst my friends and fellow Tales of the Abyss fans. The feedback was great, I had no idea how many of the official names I had gotten wrong until a friend who had played the game more recently helped me out.

Another friend of mine got really excited seeing my translations and decided to try his hand in Karaoke and Gaku subs was born from there.

Gaku being the very same one from learning, represents us well as a student project. Current staff are all universtity students studying Japanese, so any critique will be appreciated , the current set of subtitles have come from a handful of revisions already, subtitling has definitely been fun and educational as a language learner.

Being your average Australian internet subscriber, our upstream ability is quite horrible to say the least.

My maximum upstream speed is 100kB/s so please be patient and I invite anyone who can to please help us seed the torrents.

As a result, we're currently happy to partner with any keen distribution and quality check staff, so far we're only 2 people, so distro will be crazy slow.

Well if you read that much, then thank you very much.

Bobu44

*I'll just edit in one final note*
Seems opening your .srt file to the public is a bad idea, two other users had taken my initial set of softsubs with little to no quality check and had made releases out of them, Anonymous-Bobu44 was the first, but Mr. Anonymous didn't follow through with the seeding (or it was just a troll torrent) which wouldn't have been so bad, but he attached my handle onto the torrent name.

Secondly Weib had uploaded their subs using my initial un-refined translations, though If I recall correctly they did slightly modify it, only thanking me indirectly after they had already uploaded their files.

I don't mind sharing resources, afterall we're all working off of someone else's intellectual property , but an open forum with replies is ideally what I should start being a part of

Last edited by Bobu44; 2008-10-06 at 17:14.
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:20   Link #408
Starks
*Scanlator

Bobu. Word of advice. DSL seeders suck. You should upload to MegaUpload and cancel the torrent for now.
Old 2008-10-06, 11:27   Link #409
Farplaner

Thanks. I'll wait for now. Hopefully the Gaku subs are good!
Old 2008-10-06, 11:48   Link #410
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

thanks for the advice Starks,

I'll use megauploads for any of the next releases if a better distro doesn't present itself. For now though I've already started up the torrents, my seed of episode 2 is going at it's best [maximum of 100kB/s ] So it will eventually get there.

I'm not sure what's going on with episode 1 though. I've left that to my other friend.
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 11:53   Link #411
Starks
*Scanlator

it might also be wise to enable superseeding if your client supports it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-seeding
Old 2008-10-06, 12:11   Link #412
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobu44
Hello all, I'd like to invite you all to try out our subs for Tales of the Abyss, both episodes 1 and 2 have just been made available on the Nyaa torrent listings

Episode 1:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=35181

Episode 2:
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=35187

I was very excited when I found out that the Tales of the Abyss anime had recently aired. Having played the game years ago I could vaguely remember loving the character development and giving the story a 26 episode treatment was just what the doctor ordered.
Hey, thanks. Another TotA fan here along with many others in the thread and currently downloading your version. I noticed your sub yesterday but because there's no seed so I thought it's fake.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:17   Link #413
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The game was never released here, so it looks like this show will be my ticket to finally being able to enjoy it. Hopefully i won't feel to lost with the discussion that will be going on in this thread.
Old 2008-10-06, 12:29   Link #414
Farplaner

Hm, something definitely appears to be off in ep1's seeding. And I noticed that ep2 is an .avi file. Is it labeled wrong or are you really putting x264-aac in an avi container?
Old 2008-10-06, 12:34   Link #415
Starks
*Scanlator

x264 and AAC in AVI (or x264 and AAC in AVI in MKV) is an instant fail in my book.
Old 2008-10-06, 12:34   Link #416
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
The game was never released here, so it looks like this show will be my ticket to finally being able to enjoy it. Hopefully i won't feel to lost with the discussion that will be going on in this thread.
Welcome to the club, dude. So far in 2 eps Sunrise have given us a top notch animation quality plus the consistency. Most likely episode 3 will follow. On the discussions I think people who played the game will....somehow restrain themselves on the spoiler bait in order for new fans to fully enjoy the series.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy the series as much as we have with the game.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 12:36   Link #417
Starks
*Scanlator

I'm looking forward to the Anise upskirt in ep3.
Old 2008-10-06, 12:42   Link #418
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
On the discussions I think people who played the game will....somehow restrain themselves on the spoiler bait in order for new fans to fully enjoy the series.
I have played the game, but I know all too well what it means to have a show spoiled since the very beginning. >_<!

Though, the spoiler policy appears to be in full swing now. That alone is hopefully enough to keep the discussion clean here.
Old 2008-10-06, 12:54   Link #419
Starks
*Scanlator

I think the OP does enough on its own.
Old 2008-10-06, 13:30   Link #420
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Welcome to the club, dude. So far in 2 eps Sunrise have given us a top notch animation quality plus the consistency. Most likely episode 3 will follow. On the discussions I think people who played the game will....somehow restrain themselves on the spoiler bait in order for new fans to fully enjoy the series.

Anyway I hope you will enjoy the series as much as we have with the game.
Heh, i'm sure to don't you worry. I'll have watched the first episode by tonight, so i'll be sharing my thoughts on it later on. Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Tags
fantasy