AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-10-02, 16:55   Link #6301
Sumeragi
Banned

No, I don't feel uncomfortable at all, but that's because I give proper respect when I initially speak with that person.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 17:03   Link #6302
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
No, I don't feel uncomfortable at all, but that's because I give proper respect when I initially speak with that person.
For me even calling you "you" is very awkward, because of fact that I know I am younger.
Old 2012-10-02, 17:55   Link #6303
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
For me even calling you "you" is very awkward, because of fact that I know I am younger.
I can understand that fact since it's very normal for us Portuguese to address anyone that we don't know and isn't visibly younger by using what we call the "3rd person" ("você" - sir/madam in English) instead of the more intimate "2nd person" ("tu" - "you" in English or, since this is an anime forum, not using a suffix like -san in the Japanese language).

Curiously Brazilians tend to address people mostly using the "3rd person" ("você") even amongst friends.
Old 2012-10-02, 19:06   Link #6304
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

There is polite speech in English. The customary thing is to address an older man as Sir, and an older woman as Madam(the Customary letter thus being "Dear Sir or Madam"). There are variations, in the American South it's "Ma'am". You can also use Miss (which sounds a lot less stuffy then Madam).

If you want to feel polite, just address them as "Sir". Though English has been trending towards loosening these kind of things. I use Sir fairly often with strangers.

In terms of using "you", you'll be fine if you say something like "How would you like that, Sir?"
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 19:41   Link #6305
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
There is polite speech in English. The customary thing is to address an older man as Sir, and an older woman as Madam(the Customary letter thus being "Dear Sir or Madam"). There are variations, in the American South it's "Ma'am". You can also use Miss (which sounds a lot less stuffy then Madam).

If you want to feel polite, just address them as "Sir". Though English has been trending towards loosening these kind of things. I use Sir fairly often with strangers.

In terms of using "you", you'll be fine if you say something like "How would you like that, Sir?"
Well Sir or Madam for sounds too formal, at that point it doesn't seem very sincere.
Old 2012-10-02, 19:50   Link #6306
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
guess you asian? I came from an asian country where you have different word to address older and younger people but I don't feel awkward when use "you" to address older people at all, neither do people younger than me feel awkward when address me using it. maybe it because of in my country, it is taught in school that the word "you" cover all the word you use to address older and younger people.

Heck, in my language, you even have to use different word address yourself when talking to older or younger people but again, it is taught in school that the word "I" cover it all.

and each language have their own difference from eachother, I don't think native english speaker feel awkward at all when use "you" to adress older people.

Last edited by Kimidori; 2012-10-03 at 06:15.
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 02:15   Link #6307
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Yup, but even in non formal occasions I still address people by Maam or Sir that is if I don't know their name or we are not that close enough yet.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:44   Link #6308
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Yup, but even in non formal occasions I still address people by Maam or Sir that is if I don't know their name or we are not that close enough yet.
I usually address most strangers as Sir or Miss too. It's not awkward. If I know someone's name, however, I'd user [first name] or Mr. [Last name]. Though the latter isn't really popular any more.
Old 2012-10-03, 06:00   Link #6309
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Polite children address me, in English, as "Uncle".

That said, it would be incredibly rude for them to say, "Hey you, (old man)".
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 06:23   Link #6310
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

You're luckier, Sir. In my age, I'm being address as "Kuya" ( Elder Brother in Filipino) but in fact they're older than me!!!
Old 2012-10-03, 07:09   Link #6311
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Gievn your age shouldn't you get used to it...*runs*

I worked at a music school once and I have most of the students call me "kor-kor", hokkien for "onii-chan". Their parents call me "xiao-di", or little boy.

Formality is often an indication of professionalism, but sometimes being too service-oriented can result in a personal touch being formed.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 07:14   Link #6312
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I worked at a music school once and I have most of the students call me "kor-kor", hokkien for "onii-chan". Their parents call me "xiao-di", or little boy.
I prefer to be called yan dao ("handsome", in Hokkien).

Yes, flattery will get you everywhere.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 07:41   Link #6313
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I prefer to be called yan dao ("handsome", in Hokkien).

Yes, flattery will get you everywhere.
That is why I have an address system when I work at service lines :

-Da-jie (big sis) for any female older than me, (30+)
-Xiao-jie (young lady) for any female around my age (25+)
-Xiao-mei (little girl) for any female looking younger than me (16+), usually just to annoy then say "Well you look older than 18, but you don't look as though you have reached the voting age yet." Never fails to placate or get a dere reaction from them.
-Da ge (big brother) for males older than me, Uncle as a standard for the greying (they seem to like it because it signifies a personal respect for the elders I think)
-Sir or Xian-Sheng (Mister) for every other male around my age.

Yan dao is specifically reserved for those who want to pick an argument and make my work difficult.

Actually being called "kor-kor" makes my skin crawl, but having girls younger than me call me that make me want to help them out in any way I can.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-03, 07:47   Link #6314
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

This is all waaay too complicated.

I just call everyone sir, or miss. And I remember my Pleases, Thank Yous and Excuse Mes. "Excuse me Sir, do you need anything?" Doesn't matter if they're 5 or 65, same thing.

Actually, more casually I call anyone my age or younger "kid". Means I don't have to remember names...
Old 2012-10-03, 07:49   Link #6315
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I just call everyone sir, or miss. And I remember my Pleases, Thank Yous and Excuse Mes. "Excuse me Sir, do you need anything?" Doesn't matter if they're 5 or 65, same thing.
It's respectful and pretty safe to use...
Old 2012-10-03, 09:01   Link #6316
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
they all much less complicated than my language. a word that use to address other people a generation above you can used to address people that lower rank than you or use in humorous conversation depend on the word you use to address yourself, the same word can be used to address yourself when you are talking to people a generation below you. and using the right word is serious business here, if you use the wrong word to address yourself or other, it can be insulting, not just disrespectful to other.
Old 2012-10-03, 10:02   Link #6317
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Meh. As long as I'm using the correct tone then my choice of words addressing people shouldn't take precedence over my intent. Granted I'm not adventurous enough to call a man ma'am but feelings transcend the thousand different ways of saying you.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 15:19   Link #6318
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:

Actually, more casually I call anyone my age or younger "kid". Means I don't have to remember names...
Indubitably!

Endless "Keep It Simple Stupid!" Soul
Old 2012-10-03, 20:13   Link #6319
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Ah the ol' KISS. Also applicable to engineering.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 17:51   Link #6320
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

With regards to undiscovered economic frontiers, I have recently heard that Laos is the last economic frontier on Earth, not Vietnam or Myanmar.

Has anyone read economic/financial reports with regards to this before?

Tags
problem, q&a, serious