AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-11-23, 18:14   Link #1501
Goldsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
So far ViVid has been done a good job balancing the situations between opponents to avoid giving a clear notion of who's going to win, this argument aver the fight between Victoria and Shante is enough proof of that. Unlike the "other" manga xDU
Except I don't think anyone predicted Signum losing, so that's wrong.

Anyway, I wish the translations would catch up....oh well.
Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 18:14   Link #1502
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Might as well not read the next chapter, then, if you sophisticated gents can predict its entire contents.
A predictable story does not automatically make a boring story.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 18:31   Link #1503
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
Except I don't think anyone predicted Signum losing, so that's wrong.
Most of us saw that from a mile away after Laevatein got damaged and Cypha just showed off her Super Mode. New character, new weapon, old weapon already damaged. The plot was totally on Cypha's side at that moment. It's just that i just fooled myself into keeping my hopes up that Signum will still have a chance even with the entire writing process against her. Of course, one thing is knowing she's gonna loose and an entirely different one is seeing HOW said defeat is executed T-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
A predictable story does not automatically make a boring story.
I agree, some stories are cliched as hell yet they're still entertaining and sometimes even awesome.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 18:32   Link #1504
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Might as well not read the next chapter, then, if you sophisticated gents can predict its entire contents.
You mistake prediction for complaint.

Besides, it's not the destination, it's the journey.

I can enjoy a story even when I know what's going to happen, as long as it was executed well.

This is just as true as the possibility of NOT enjoying a story even though the ending was a total surprise, because the execution was shoddy. (Like StrikerS.)
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 18:54   Link #1505
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In my case it is a complaint, but a minor one that doesn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the series. Just a "mreh, would've liked this better" before reading on.

My biggest complaint about Vivid is this entire tournament and how it threw any pretense of a serious plot hinted at in the preceding chapters out the window. But even then, a complaint does not mean I hate the manga.

One can still enjoy a manga even if one recognizes the flaws or dislikes.
Old 2011-11-23, 19:02   Link #1506
Sunder the Gold

The initial plot appears to have been defenstrated when they visited Lutecia's place for the mock battles, before the tournament even came up. Not that it matters too much.

Who knows? Maybe after the tournament they'll return to more serious things like explaining where the hell Einhart came from.

If they also go into more detail about Dalgryn, Emine Kratz, and the history of Midchilda, that would also be swell.

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2011-11-23 at 22:45.
Old 2011-11-23, 22:30   Link #1507
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The majority of us aren't gonna get to read it until sometime next year anyway, with the way updates run on the translation. If that.
Old 2011-11-24, 00:37   Link #1508
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
I think you're missing the point. True, it would have been nice to see things develop outside of the predictable, but the journey can still be enjoyable along the way. Despite knowing(or at least have a 90% confidence guess) Einhart was gonna win, it was still a great fight to watch. Probably one of the best of the franchise (at least in Vivid).

We all know the hero is gonna beat the villain in the end. That doesn't make the story any less enjoyable to watch.

And it depends on what you're watching for, too; myself, it's for the additional information about magic and magic styles, as well as any tidbits about Belkan history.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 00:54   Link #1509
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Half the time doing the unpredictable is predictable anyways.
Old 2011-11-24, 00:56   Link #1510
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Half the time doing the unpredictable is predictable anyways.
Kind of a paradox really. If you do the unpredictable too many times it becomes predictable and then what used to be predictable became fresh and new again. It's a cycle.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-24, 06:10   Link #1511
Arkeus

Quote:
Kind of a paradox really. If you do the unpredictable too many times it becomes predictable and then what used to be predictable became fresh and new again. It's a cycle.
That one applies if your so-called unpredictable is just one thing.

Something unpredictable really shouldn't ever be the same thing twice.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 08:29   Link #1512
Justin_Brett

Quote:
We all know the hero is gonna beat the villain in the end. That doesn't make the story any less enjoyable to watch.
I didn't really get the impression you guys were happy about it here, though.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 09:06   Link #1513
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hence why we clarify now. I am unhappy with the predictability of the tournament so far, but predictability does not mean I find the story boring. Just... predictable. I still enjoy the fights for the fights, just as I still enjoy watching Star Wars even though I already know what's going to happen from the last 30-ish times I watched them.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:19   Link #1514
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
I didn't really get the impression you guys were happy about it here, though.
Partially. From the first moment we heard that Einhart was gonna fight Corona, we pretty much realized who was gonna win. And while I'm not quite happy about the ultimate outcome, I am highly impressed with the fight and how Corona conducted herself.

I am always amused at those who think everything is a dichotomy; either someone must like it, or must dislike it. There is no middle ground. Those views are rather simplistic, since there is a whole range in between where someone can end up. And they can like some aspects, and dislike some others, but still feel like watching/reading.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 11:05   Link #1515
Sunder the Gold

I liked and enjoyed a number of things about the 26-episode long "Brigadoon Marin to Melan" anime.

I still ended the series feeling it was ultimately a waste of my time. I didn't think it was terrible, just mediocre in too many ways, such that the good parts were not worth watching 26 episodes.

Still, I do regard the good parts fondly.
Old 2011-11-24, 13:33   Link #1516
Goldsmith

Quote:
Most of us saw that from a mile away after Laevatein got damaged and Cypha just showed off her Super Mode.
So after Signum started losing, you were able to predict that Signum would lose. Fascinating. What I meant was before the fight started.
Goldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 14:00   Link #1517
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Hindsight is 20/20
Old 2011-11-24, 15:00   Link #1518
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
So after Signum started losing, you were able to predict that Signum would lose. Fascinating. What I meant was before the fight started.
The possibility was always there, the "damaged weapon" part isn't it yet at the start of the fight but the "new character with new weapon vs. old character with nothing new" was already there and was worrying me since the beginning, however, like i've said i fooled myself into ignoring those details. Signum's last battle before that(VS Nanoha in StrikerS final manga chapter) helped to blurr my sight as Tsuzuki make her look like a very strong warrior there, her defeat was a possibility since the very beginning, what i can't predict was how easily she will be defeated.

Here in ViVid we at least have a more balanced atmosphere between the main contestants, the gap between the so-called veterans and the newcomers isn't as big here allowing surprising victories like Miura's or predictable ones like Harii's. The only one with an "aura of might" for now is Sieglinde because of her "undefeated champion" status, we have yet to see how strong she really is.

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-11-24, 15:03   Link #1519
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Spoiler for rant:

I'll bite my lip sorta

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.

Last edited by itanshi1; 2011-11-24 at 15:23.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 04:10   Link #1520
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Wow! What a balanced fight.

First preview scans of Ch. 31 are out and it's quite the battle...
Spoiler for Surprisingly amazing battle!:

...next chapter VIVIO VS MIURA!

Miura-chan, it has been a pleasure T-T

~The ASFB~

Tags
vivid