AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-07-24, 11:50   Link #21
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Corsair/OCZ/Crucial (particularly crucial are the best ram you can buy) but, with DDR400 and the processor you're running, it's only going to be very very marginal gains, even when you benchmark.

I went from ddr2 667 to ddr2 800 on the same system and my benchmarks were only 200 points higher on 3dMark05. (DDr2 667 - 8966, DDR2 800 - 9157) In terms of gaming/real world performance that's about a 0 gain.

And I don't mean to write off your gear, but I'd seriously consider hanging on to my cash and buying a new mobo and cpu and ram and gfx card. $250USd and you're set. (with the way things are going 2 gig ram, an x2 or c2d and a mobo will set you back $150)
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 19:25   Link #22
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
@Miguchi

For me, yes. Corsair and mushkin is the best brand of RAM. IMO. Kingston also can be a cheap alternative...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 07:36   Link #23
toru310

Well I was thinking of buying a new mobo but I want the price to lower down so I'll just wait for 1 year or so..
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 10:19   Link #24
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
@Migufuchi:

Well, I don't know what you're looking into right now, but hey, there're some up-to-date mobos that go for really cheap nowadays. You don't need to go with a 680i to get a good, reliable and fast system. I don't have "real" figures at the moment, but I'd say you could get a decent motherboard for 70 bucks. Depending on your current processor and socket type, you can even keep your current cpu and don't even need to spend the money on that.

If you could give us more info on what you want to do, I think we could help a little more.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 13:59   Link #25
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by furuno View Post
@Miguchi

For me, yes. Corsair and mushkin is the best brand of RAM. IMO. Kingston also can be a cheap alternative...
G.Skill is also very cheap and reliable
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 14:36   Link #26
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I don't think you can get much cheaper than $110 for a mobo and a cpu for dual core. At least not until quad core is about to be superceded by opto core or something. Even now the cheapest motherboards for p4's are around $40-$50. The Intel P4's are still around $60-$70.
Old 2007-07-25, 18:02   Link #27
problemedchild
ô_ô

Plenty of brand names out there.

Crucial, OCZ, G.Skill, Kingston, and Corsair.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 03:12   Link #28
toru310

@Zero Shinohara well I basically just download anime and burn them to DVD..but the burning is kind of slow since its only 1 core....
Old 2007-07-26, 15:46   Link #29
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

@hobbes:

Well yeah, but like I said, if he already has a processor with the same socket type and the new motherboard accepts the processor (which they usually do) he won't need to get a new CPU, which should save some cash. Unless he wants a separate computer instead of just an upgraded one.

@ Migufuchi:
Well then for that you'll probably be fine with a gig of ram and with a bottom-to-medium line of either Intel or AMD CPUs. 64x2's are selling for pretty cheap now, some are even 70-90 bucks depending on the speed and they're dual core, which is a plus.

And although I don't recommend taking my word for it since I don't know if what I'm saying is accurate - and if not, please correct me - I wouldn't bet a lot that having a dual core would speed up the burning process. Maybe a faster processor will, but I'd say your CD/DVD-R and media are the mostly responsible for burning time.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-07-26, 18:47   Link #30
problemedchild
ô_ô

It's all about the CD/DVD media and burner. My 3 GHZ Core 2 Duo barely burns media faster than my 1.5 GHZ Willy P4.
Old 2007-07-26, 21:49   Link #31
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Well, personally I don't see the point in laying down extra cash on a platform that is nearing the end of its operational life-cycle. Buying a stick of DDR 400 ram at around $50-$60 USD isn't really good value IMHO, especially considering it will have a minimal effect overall on hos PC's performance. I mean add around $100-$120 and you get a viable x2 platform and 1 gig ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135039
$101 x2 3600+ and mobo although the PCI slot only runs at x8 it's not a massive issue unless you're plonking in a 7900gs or higher. (Although I've chucked an x1950pro in a similar mobo and the difference was negligible.)

I'm looking a his mobo and well, there's not a lot of life in it, I mean AGP is dead, DDR is dead.

if he wants to stick with his p4 LGA775 well
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186111

and

1 gig of ddr2 667
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146580

for something like $70 total. he can reuse his P4 LGA775, HDD, DVD. I feel it not worth it to spend $50 on ddr ram, when for $20 more he can get a new mobo supporting ddr2 ram, and 1 gig of ddr2 667
Old 2007-07-27, 05:39   Link #32
toru310

@hobbes_fan your actually right the board is kind of old hmm about 2years and it did experience so much stress before..e.g.(brownouts,many crashes and blue screens..) I should really buy a new board..also do I have to reformat my hard drive since I will be buying a new board??
Old 2007-07-27, 06:04   Link #33
problemedchild
ô_ô

You should. Else you might run into a lot of driver issues.
Old 2007-07-27, 08:38   Link #34
toru310

I guess I have to update every single thing again..hehe... but are newer hard drives faster in performance? lets say 40gb seagate vs 80gb seagate which is much faster?
Old 2007-07-27, 10:13   Link #35
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

depends on the type of HDD.

1. Is it SATA or IDE? SATA has a write speed of of up to 3.0gb/s, IDE has 133mbps (I think need to verify)
2. Cache size, current standard seems to be 8 or 16 mb, what s cache? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache
3. speed. 10,000 rpm's is the max it seems, but generally 7200rpm is standard.

Also that board could be ebayed for $20 or so. It's at the end of its lifespan as a desktop pc, it still can be used as a server motherboard.

In any case it's best if you do a clean re-install of your o/s. a 40 gig hdd shouldn't be a nightmare to burn to dvd (You'll probably only have 20 gig or so of data, everything else will be xp files or app data)

Also, I'm sure there are better deals out there, unfortunately newegg and tigerdirect are the only places I know of. as a general rule AMD for tight budgets (processors and motherboards are cheaper) Intel Core2Duo for mid range and higher. And when I meant the motherboad was dead, all I meant was the technology on that board was not being developed anymore. (DDR Ram, AGP)

have a look around tomshardware.com or anandtech.com, I used those sites to scope a budget gaming rig.
Old 2007-07-27, 15:51   Link #36
arcadeplayer987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
I guess I have to update every single thing again..hehe... but are newer hard drives faster in performance? lets say 40gb seagate vs 80gb seagate which is much faster?
Seagate 7200.10 look very good
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148236
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 22:46   Link #37
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeplayer987 View Post
err why that? for a dollar more you get 8mb cache and sata connection
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148231
or for $10 more you get double the capacity, 8mb cache and sata.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148230

I'd be looking at Maxtor drives in particular for value - they will only be producing OEM (Seagate owns them now but they still have to support the warranty), there should still be some NOS somewhere that will be heavily discounted because the Maxtor brand-name is dead and will be difficult to move.
Old 2007-07-27, 23:48   Link #38
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
depends on the type of HDD.

1. Is it SATA or IDE? SATA has a write speed of of up to 3.0gb/s, IDE has 133mbps (I think need to verify)
2. Cache size, current standard seems to be 8 or 16 mb, what s cache? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache
3. speed. 10,000 rpm's is the max it seems, but generally 7200rpm is standard.

Also that board could be ebayed for $20 or so. It's at the end of its lifespan as a desktop pc, it still can be used as a server motherboard.

In any case it's best if you do a clean re-install of your o/s. a 40 gig hdd shouldn't be a nightmare to burn to dvd (You'll probably only have 20 gig or so of data, everything else will be xp files or app data)

Also, I'm sure there are better deals out there, unfortunately newegg and tigerdirect are the only places I know of. as a general rule AMD for tight budgets (processors and motherboards are cheaper) Intel Core2Duo for mid range and higher. And when I meant the motherboad was dead, all I meant was the technology on that board was not being developed anymore. (DDR Ram, AGP)

have a look around tomshardware.com or anandtech.com, I used those sites to scope a budget gaming rig.
Well my hard drive is both IDIE..
Oh yeah is it really true that core2duo don't consume much energy than P4 processors?
Old 2007-07-28, 00:28   Link #39
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Well my hard drive is both IDIE..
Oh yeah is it really true that core2duo don't consume much energy than P4 processors?
Well that's another thing you need to consider when buying a new motherboard. Since Mobos that come with SATA only have one or two slots to add IDE drives and they're basically taken by the CDROM/RW, so you won't have a lot of input left.

And as far as I know, yes, C2Ds have less energy consumption than P4s. They're also considerably cooler because of that. If I remember correctly, P4s run around the 1.4's whereas you can run a mid-end C2D at 1.225~ volts, so that comes out to be a pretty considerable drop in the heat it produces. It also overclocks like crazy. I ran my 6400 at 3.2 and 1.28-1.30 voltage for over a month without issues, and the temperature wasn't that high at all.

Old 2007-07-28, 00:37   Link #40
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Again depends, the AMD X2 dual cores up to I think the X2 4400+ are, For the Pentium Core2Duo (not to be confused with pentium D which nobody buys anyway) I think its up to the E4300 series that is energy efficient. Basically it should say 65w on the packaging. I'm more familiar with AMD stuff than Intel, I haven't owned a desktop model since I had a P2. I think they're the ones with an actual energy efficiency rating.

But overall in a wattage/performance ratio, the dual cores win

Tags
building computers