AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-01, 00:47   Link #21
brocko

Thought Tenshi was gonna listen in on the concert for a minute there after all this time not being able to due to a conflict of interest as Student Pres. Turns out she just wanted some comfort food

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:07   Link #22
dark998

Great episode, all that development for Ten-err, Tachibana Kanade is very,very welcome. Now we know she is not bad at all, she is probably the most caring girl in that world. All her scenes with Otonashi were very enjoyable.

Concert was, as always, visually pleasing. And the new song is nice, almost as good as Crow Song imo. Yui is a worthy successor to Iwasawa.

And for the first time in the series, episode ends with a real cliffhanger. Next Friday can't come sooner.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:18   Link #23
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The first half of the episode was totally boring for me. Quite annoying, really. No humor whatsoever, just painful repeated stupidity by characters without interest.

But the last part, where we began to get some feeling for Tachibana, and some change in the two protagonists' minds, made it worthwhile. A bit of actual Maeda Jun. And some perspective on our own lives.

Others' mileage clearly varies, but that's what I felt. At least the latter half of the episode brought me back for next week.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:20   Link #24
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

That is by far the best episode I have watched of any series in a while. I couldn't stop laughing at the instant slow motion replays and I absolutely loved the somber narrative towards the end.

I still can't get over the difference in vocals between normal Yui and singer Yui though. At least Iwasawa was a little more believable. Don't get me wrong she's a wonderful singer but it's going to take a bit before I'm used to the change.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:35   Link #25
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeKyuubi View Post
Well they're called NPCs, right? Maybe the teachers are actual, programmed NPCs that don't know how to think out of the box. I think a good portion of the student body may be actual people and not NPCs as well.
Saa...? I think it is more simple common sense than thinking outside the box or outside the abilities of the NPC (as far as I've seen).
Also, Yurippe says teachers in the real world are like that too, which can't be defended by a "Because they are NPC" explanation.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-05-01, 01:42   Link #26
jinnous

That was a really funny first half for me (repetition aside) it was still unexpected and fun.

Glad to know that Tenshi (now Tachibana) has a more definitive existence in the show other than the hindrance the previous episodes portrayed her as. Also basing on her conversations with Otonashi, she seems all the more likable.

BUT the highlight of the show for me was Takamatsu. The moment he executed his "distraction" tactic I laughed my head off.
Old 2010-05-01, 01:55   Link #27
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Angel Beats = Let's bully the angel: the animation
Well, that's one way to describe it. Poor Kanade, so many people ganging up on her. In any case, the episode was good. So far this has been one of the better series for me this season.
Old 2010-05-01, 02:02   Link #28
Dart

I was trying to figure out why the scene with Otononashi trying to explain away Yuri's outurst felt so familiar... I think this is it.

"More than three Hinata-kuns" = "Three Okazaki-sans!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtTZ2SUm0Q
Old 2010-05-01, 02:02   Link #29
Eater of All
NOM

The fact that I actually laughed for once while watching Angel Beats just shows how good the comedy was in ep05. Stuff like Hinata's flying chair, Kamiyan rapidly machine-gunning out words, and Mr. Fabulous and his "Maybe I'll take off my bottom next" were especially brilliant.

The highlight though of course was the character development for Tenshi, who apparently showed 5x as much emotions here as she did in all the previous episodes combined... although technically it still wasn't much. It was enough, however, to convey skillfully her silent passion for her job and her utter despair at getting kicked out of it. The SSS are indeed very lucky to have each other to mess around with, while Tenshi, as Otonashi keenly recognized, is just a "lone rebel" who has no one to hang out with. It's not possible to pinpoint her motivations yet, but what's certain is that Tenshi is definitely not the antagonist in this game of God Slaying. If anything, the way that bastard Student Council President can assemble a private army and go so far only shows how much Tenshi had been going easy on the SSS.

Speaking of which, Yuri sure struck me as heartless this episode when no remorse came from her realization that she just screwed over Tenshi, who is just a normal human, big time. Instead, all she felt was annoyance at losing an opportunity to beat God to a pulp. Is revenge all she really cares about?
Old 2010-05-01, 02:10   Link #30
Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Is revenge all she really cares about?
Considering everything she's said and done so far... yes?
Old 2010-05-01, 02:26   Link #31
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
The fact that I actually laughed for once while watching Angel Beats just shows how good the comedy was in ep05. Stuff like Hinata's flying chair, Kamiyan rapidly machine-gunning out words, and Mr. Fabulous and his "Maybe I'll take off my bottom next" were especially brilliant.
Agreed. I was just saying it on IRC, that how Angel Beats was actually funny for once. I did get a few laughs from the first half of the episode.

Spoiler for about the angel:
Old 2010-05-01, 02:42   Link #32
Ezilled

Excellent episode. The mix of comedy, plot elements, and concert scene were handled well as possible. I thought that it would be another light-hearted or laid back one with a touch of dramatic backstory from one of the SSS members, but the story moved quite a bit and learned something valuable and development to Tachibana Kanade.

Like many of us, I felt sorry for her and thought I could become her white knight that breaks the 2D and 3D barrier. In my perspective, if she just wanted to buy a tofu in a canteen during dinnertime regardless of her 'oddness', whenever an operation is active, then it would leave a question why did she go to the SSS's secret underground factory. Consequently, some viewers might hate Yuri and her attitude towards Tenshi after she planned to degrade her reputation as a School Council President. The flow of the tide has been changed, and now the SSS members will have their first major predicament against the new SC president. The next episode should be definitely an interesting one filled anticipation and drama. My speculation in a few weeks is that Otonashi might realize that Kanade has no contact with God or whatsover, and he might resign as a SSS member. Thus, Otonashi would probably stick with her for awhile, and we might have sufficient understanding and knowledge to Kanade's well-being.

Also, Yui's stage VA seems far better than Eri Kitamura. Her voice is lovely and fitting for her regular voice. I liked her performance as well, made me think she was a different Yui. Can't wait for the 'Thousand Enemies' album.
Old 2010-05-01, 02:57   Link #33
bigdeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuroso View Post
Yurippe should have chosen two girls from the band for the operation and made one of them confess her love for Tenshi, then another one of the girls as well and then they started one catfigh for Tenshi love, that surely would be surprising for everyone in the class =D
Perfect idea! I like how you thing.

I hope Angel joins the gang. This episode really made me feel bad for the poor girl.

And Yui's singing was fantastic, I love that hyperactive nutcase.
Old 2010-05-01, 03:25   Link #34
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

really keeps getting better. Best character for me is Tachibana "Tenshi" Kanade.... truly, her figure, alone in the school cafeteria, is just so sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
And Yui's singing was fantastic, I love that hyperactive nutcase.
Her version of the OP was superb (I hope it gets repeated) and the new insert song was great too ^^
Old 2010-05-01, 03:44   Link #35
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I was trying to figure out why the scene with Otononashi trying to explain away Yuri's outurst felt so familiar... I think this is it.

"More than three Hinata-kuns" = "Three Okazaki-sans!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtTZ2SUm0Q
Easter egg Achieved! Haha nice find.

This episode was mellow, im kinda surprised on how the chair blasting scenes were not fatal enough to halt the entire exam secession, dude it felt like a normal school day. (>_<)-O

I know the lot of you are itching to hop onto the WeWubTenshi Bandwagon, less i remind you that she is a preternatural being that is able to fight on par with an army of undead immortals, ever refusing to explain her situation to a group of extremely pissed off individuals who have been spat on by society, and ain't leaving anytime soon.

The way this is going Otonashi is going to need to do some investigating if they are going to uncover the growing conspiracy behind that school.

While im at it, since Yuri discovered that Tachibana is a normal human being she is obviously dead, and is staying in the afterlife because she prefers it there, or she is carrying critical secrets that she is withholding for the sake of order.
Old 2010-05-01, 04:03   Link #36
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Im really loving this show more and more.
Man, what an episode, I laughted , and nearly cried in the span of few minutes. Well played Maeda, well played.
Tenshi ;___;
Old 2010-05-01, 04:20   Link #37
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought it was just going to be another silly filler episode at first, but it turned out to be excellent. For once, I actually laughed at the jokes during this episode. And finally, a Tenshi focused episode ! Tachibana Kanade, she's so moe... I felt so sad for her in this episode. She didn't deserve this at all. Made me dislike Yuri even more, and I'm glad it's coming back to bite her in the ass. Did she seriously never even try to have a talk with Kanade? It wouldn't have been hard to notice she was just a regular hard working and kind hearted girl.

I'm not sure where the plot is going to go now. Either Kanade joins the SSS, or they will try to have reinstated as the student council president. But how is the SSS going to fight against God now that they know there is no Angel or anything of the sort at the school? Their attempts at rebelling seem rather pointless.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:09   Link #38
qwevfr

Nice!...tenshi looks so sad with the scence of her eating alone at the cafeteria hope they get her in to the group since otonashi did kind of bring up a proposal of sort to get her in. The "comedy" part where they hit the celling is kind of nice to watch and the stunt they used to gain attention, unlike the previous episode where it's boring repeating the same scence over and over again.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:18   Link #39
magnuskn

Hm, I am fastly losing sympathy for the protagonists. I hope they buy a clue, pick up the clue-by-four and take up the cluephone somewhat soon.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:25   Link #40
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Awesome episode, one of the best so far. Poor Tachibana Kanade trough, I realy felt bad for her.
I can't but think that she will save the gang with her special powers against the new president, and that way gains their trust and joins the group.
Also the song was very cool in this episode