AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-06-10, 13:20   Link #1
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The Mortal Kombat (New Mortal Kombat game)

Ladies and gentlemans, I bring you with much proud the first trailer of the new Mortal Kombat game.

• At the moment it only has the title of "The Mortal Kombat"
  • The trailer shows that the game will have a very nostalgic feeling of the old arcade games, wich I think is good for the fans
  • Gory gameplay returns
  • No new characters, but we see some old classics like Sub-Zero, Jhonny Cage, Raiden, Shao Khan, Mileena, Sektor, Reptile, Nightwolf and Kung Lao
  • Stages fatalities return
  • No new stages, but some classic stages return like Shao Khan's arena, Shang Tsung's throne room, Dead pool, The living forest, The Pit 1, the Pit 2 and one of the Urban stages from MK3 (Probably the Bank)
  • The characters show slighty changes from previous games and look very similar to the classic MK characters
  • A new team battle game mod, 2 vs 2 like in Marvel vs Capcom
  • Confirmed plataforms: XBOX 360 & PS3
  • No release date confirmed yet
  • Wait more information at the E3!

Last edited by Evil Rick; 2010-06-10 at 23:41.
Evil Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 16:08   Link #2
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

This game.. IS GOING TO DESTROY ALL FIGHTING GAMES!
Old 2010-06-10, 17:25   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

I am absolutely ecstatic at what I saw from that trailer. Going back to the roots and basics of MK, while at the same time having what looks to be like a polished in-depth fighting engine? Count me in! This is a very smart attempt at trying to revive the franchise (kind of like what Capcom did with SF4, which was a huge success). I'm a huge MK fan and I cannot wait to see more of this in the near future.
Old 2010-06-10, 17:37   Link #4
Rayneing
Trombe!

Certainly looks better than their other recent attempts (and an awful lot like UMK3), but I'm not holding my breath either.
Old 2010-06-10, 23:37   Link #5
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

I agree, a Mortal Kombat game that takes all the goodies from MK1 to MK3 and wraps them into the new generation of graphics engine and system may result in the Mortal Kombat game we had been waiting for!

Also that Kung Lao's fatality was brutal! Poor Sub-zero, that's gonna leave a mark.

BTW, I am the only one exited at the new 2 vs 2 fight mode?

IMPORTANT: Rumors say that the release date of the game could be March 2011, the interesting stuff is that they had been making this game since Warner Brothers Interactive aquired Midway's Mortal Kombat team (Now named Netherrealm Studios) and that was like 5 moths after the release of Mortal Kombat -vs- DC Universe, normally, all previous Mortal Kombat games were bad because they always run out of time while making it and rushed to finish them, if they're taking all this time to make the game, they may be looking to do something really good.
Old 2010-06-11, 00:29   Link #6
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
BTW, I am the only one exited at the new 2 vs 2 fight mode?
I'm looking forward to playing that mode as well. Partner yourself up with one of your buddies, and maim your opponents. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote:
normally, all previous Mortal Kombat games were bad because they always run out of time while making it and rushed to finish them, if they're taking all this time to make the game, they may be looking to do something really good.
No, a lot of the previous MK games were bad due to incompetent game testers and focusing too much on gimmicks and not enough on the gameplay.
Old 2010-06-11, 00:46   Link #7
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
INo, a lot of the previous MK games were bad due to incompetent game testers and focusing too much on gimmicks and not enough on the gameplay.
Mortal Kombat was always about gimmicks over gameplay, wasn't it? As far as I recall, the original Mortal Kombat was popular mostly for the digitized sprites, gore, fatalities, etc, and stayed that way until possibly MK.DA. Gameplay-wise, the fighting system was very elementary compared to, say, the Street Fighter games.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 09:39   Link #8
Kafriel
Senior Guest

MKDA was probably the best MK for me, since it raised the gameplay bar with two styles and a permanent weapon. Going back to the basics wouldn't be so wise a choice for MK, since the basics are just a few special moves and only the most basic fighting moves...but if they've managed to include various combos of special moves, juggling, etc. then this should be good.

P.S: Didn't Kung Lao have a bunny under his hat?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 09:58   Link #9
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
P.S: Didn't Kung Lao have a bunny under his hat?
Yes, he had.

Old 2010-06-11, 13:15   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
MKDA was probably the best MK for me, since it raised the gameplay bar with two styles and a permanent weapon. Going back to the basics wouldn't be so wise a choice for MK, since the basics are just a few special moves and only the most basic fighting moves...but if they've managed to include various combos of special moves, juggling, etc. then this should be good.
Indeed, MKDA was great (it's in my top 3, with the other 2 being MK2 and MK vs DC) because the focus was predominantly on the gameplay and not the gimmicks. That game only had 1 fatality per character, and that was it. Best of all, the game wasn't broken in terms of balance, for any character can win if mastered to their full potential.

The gameplay in this game looks a lot like MK vs DC's, which goes back to the basics while still making the characters very diverse with different normals and customizable combos.
Old 2010-06-11, 17:27   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can say i'm seriously impressed with that trailer. Just going into at first glance and i can't help but think it's just a 3D remake of the original titles , with of course some great new features. Do wonder if the title will be changed eventually, and what it could be.

Also, i have a good feeling we won't be playing Mortal Kombat chess this time around.
Old 2010-06-15, 23:58   Link #12
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

New Info!

Right from the E3!

First, Kung Lao's fatality revealed!

Spoiler for Bloody & spoiler:

A gellaery of screenshots, warning for more spoilers and bloody images:

http://insidemk.altervista.org/zenph...t-2011/E32010/

Other info:
  • Rumors of a 3D version for the PS3
  • New "X rays" mode, showing x ray sceens when the character takes heavy damage
  • 2 Fatalities per character
  • Up to 4 players at versus matches with the new 2vs 2 game mode
Old 2010-06-16, 02:28   Link #13
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Mortal Kombat was always about gimmicks over gameplay, wasn't it? As far as I recall, the original Mortal Kombat was popular mostly for the digitized sprites, gore, fatalities, etc, and stayed that way until possibly MK.DA. Gameplay-wise, the fighting system was very elementary compared to, say, the Street Fighter games.
Exactly, while I'm sure this will be fun and ship over a million easy worldwide I doubt it's going to be good. The Mortal Kombat games haven't aged well, I see people on forums all the time say they can't believe they were riding with MK during the SF vs MK wars that raged back in the day.

The gameplay of SF has stood the test of time, MK is lacking.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 12:43   Link #14
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Exactly, while I'm sure this will be fun and ship over a million easy worldwide I doubt it's going to be good. The Mortal Kombat games haven't aged well, I see people on forums all the time say they can't believe they were riding with MK during the SF vs MK wars that raged back in the day.

The gameplay of SF has stood the test of time, MK is lacking.
Seriously? Since in all Street Fighter games I see them doing the same moves and with the same gameplay, but still, isn't that what made thiese games popular?

You said that Street Fighter has stood the test of time, well, I think Mortal Kombat did it as well since it's the only fighting game not from Japan who has made it this far, and in the Mortal Kombat game sthey do inovate as well, In Mortal Kombat 4 we got ability to drag out weapons, in Deadli Alliance came out the diferent fighting styles, power ups, taunts and parrys, Mortal Kombat Deception brought the stage fatalities and the Breaker plus the Konquest mode, Armagedoon added the aereal kombat, MK-vs- DCU the free fall kombat and the Klose Kombat and here it has been confiremd the new "X-RAY, damage" So?
Old 2010-06-16, 17:09   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Mortal Kombat Deception brought the stage fatalities, MK-vs- DCU the free fall kombat and the Klose Kombat
All of these things were gimmicks outside of the core fighting engine.

Anything that abruptly stops the flow of a match is not good and needs to be avoided in order for MK to be taken more seriously. Stage fatalities I more than welcome, but only after the match is over.
Old 2010-06-16, 21:34   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Seriously? Since in all Street Fighter games I see them doing the same moves and with the same gameplay, but still, isn't that what made thiese games popular?
Hmm? Most characters in Street Fighter play differently. That's why you have people in tourneys who play with only a few characters that they've had a lot of practice with. The Mortal Kombat series, until DA, barely had any variety between different characters apart from specials. Once you've played one, you've basically played them all. This was the series that once thought it was okay to pass off ten pallete swapped ninjas as individual characters.

Old 2010-06-16, 23:52   Link #17
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

New info!!!

Gamespot made an interview to Ed Boon, creator of the Mortal Kombat games and he revealed some cool information:
  • Tells that the story of this Mortal Kombat is gonna hapend right after Armageddon, but the characters will be trapped in some sort of time paardox that will take them to the events from Mortal Kombat 1 to Mortal Kombat 3 but diferent events are gonna hapend here. He quited "Back to the Future" as example.
  • Revelas that this game is mostly taking all the goddies from Mortal Kombat 2 and 3, all the stuff that fans liked from that time but giving it the new stuff from today, both in graphics and gameplay
  • A rooster compsed by around 26 characters, he said that if you had a favourite from the first games, you're gonna see it here
  • New "energy bar" on the gameplay, a new energy bar will be added to the characters, this new bar will give power ups to the attacks of the characters, for example, Subzer´s freeze ball will last more and will cover a biger area if you launch it with your energy bar full, the energy bar will also determinate how to use your breakers (Like in MK-vs-DC) Using a breaker, will consume a whole section of the 3 sections of the energy bar, when having your energy bar full, you'll be able to release the "x-ray combo" a devasting attack that if used correctly and in the right moment, may cause even a damage over 50%
  • Confirmed that this is gonna be the most bloody and gruesome Mortal Kombat game so far, since it uses the unreal engine as well, it can be compared with games like Geras of War in the blood level
  • You'll be able to exectue team combos in the new team battle mode, similar to Marvel vs Capcom as well as swapping characters even on ground or air.
  • Expected release, spring of 2011 for the PS3 and XBOX 360

Interview: http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265855...es%3Btitle%3B7

Quote:
Hmm? Most characters in Street Fighter play differently.
Ehmmm... Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura?

Besides, that was only at the first Mortal Kombats (Mostly 1 & 2) On the newest Mortal Kombats characters fight diferent. Also, we're disscusing a present game, not old Mortal Kombat games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Anything that abruptly stops the flow of a match is not good and needs to be avoided in order for MK to be taken more seriously. Stage fatalities I more than welcome, but only after the match is over.
On Deception and Armageddon you were able to "turn off" stage fatalities if you wanted, but in this new Mortal Kombat, stage fatalities are gonna be like in MK2 & MK3, so you can only execute tem when the screen anounces "Finish him!"
Old 2010-06-17, 00:12   Link #18
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Ehmmm... Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sakura?
That's why I said most. A few SF characters play similarly, but pretty much all MK characters played the same. That's an enormous difference.

Quote:
Besides, that was only at the first Mortal Kombats (Mostly 1 & 2) On the newest Mortal Kombats characters fight diferent. Also, we're disscusing a present game, not old Mortal Kombat games.
It was more like 1 through 4. But you're right, this is a new game. Looking at the trailer though, I'm skeptical they're doing a revamp of the mechanics that would be needed for this to be anything worthwhile. Seems more like they're hyping up the fatalities, other gameplay-minor elements, and nostalgia, for the most part. But who knows.

Old 2010-06-17, 00:35   Link #19
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It was more like 1 through 4. But you're right, this is a new game. Looking at the trailer though, I'm skeptical they're doing a revamp of the mechanics that would be needed for this to be anything worthwhile. Seems more like they're hyping up the fatalities, other gameplay-minor elements, and nostalgia, for the most part. But who knows.
Well, Mortal Kombat's Fatalities made the saga popular, it has no relevance at all with the gameplay or player's skills but you can think of them as that "unique and characteristic" stuff of the game. Still, they anounced simplistic fatalities, mostly revots from the classic MK games like Scorpion's "toasty" fatality or Jhonny Cage's torso rip.

Speaking of toasy, anyone want to hera the "toasty" phrase on the game again? I do.
Old 2010-06-19, 23:04   Link #20
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

New Info!

Okay, this is a new vid of a interview & demo of the gamplay at the game with Ed Boon that was made at the E3. Take a look to the cid wich is really, really cool.

WARNING: At the vid, you acn see fatalities wich are really, really gruesome, some people may not like them so, if you're the weak stomch kin of perople, better don't look.

Spoiler for Spoiler, gore warning:

• You can see that now the characters have some sort of "introduction" move. similar to Street Fighter 4's ones. Fisrt time we see this on the Mortal Kombat series
  • Take a deep look to the game mechanics, the return and improvement of old classic combocs, the fluid, fast and solid gameplay and the visually fantastic X-RAY moves.
  • Take a look to Kung Lao's 2nd fatality, Scorpion's Fatality and the Pit stage fatality
  • Fisrt look at the team battle gameplay, honestly, looks very adictive. XD
  • To resume, I think we're in precense of one of the best Mortal Kombat games and a great Fighting game wich is presumed to be released on March 2011 for the XBOX 360 and PS3

Tags
fighting game