AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-12, 19:50   Link #1181
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because they can.
Old 2012-10-12, 20:49   Link #1182
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Ok this is getting outrageous

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 21:27   Link #1183
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
NSFW
Yuuta sure is boss there. A perfect way to display "your ass is mine."
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 21:29   Link #1184
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I don't think its safe for Rikka to wear that contact len.
She's wearing an eyepatch so she's pretty much sleeping with a contact on 24/7.

And a comestic contact at that, which I hear tend to lead to easier eye irritation than real prescribed contacts.
There is no evidence that Rikka sleeps with the contact lens or even that she wears it at all when she is alone which would be whenever she is in her room, maybe her older sister has an odd-shift job (ninja assassin comes to mind >_< ) and she is alone most of the time in their apartment. I think that as she gets used to being around people that have seen her so called evil-eye, she might even forget to wear it since she no longer has the chance to shock people around her.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 21:46   Link #1185
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Quote:
NSFW
No doubt, LIKE A BOSS.
Old 2012-10-12, 22:11   Link #1186
Snuffle
likes cute things

I'm only now noticing this after re-watching the second episode... Rikka seems to put her guard (karate?) stance up whenever she sees Yuuta getting along with a girl, namely Shinka and Tsuyuri. She did it right away with Shinka and only put her guard up after Yuuta introduced himself to Tsuyuri. Can't this be interpreted as if Rikka has already marked Yuuta as hers? Seems she's trying to fight off any girl that would get close to him.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 22:48   Link #1187
rulfo

Quote:
NSFW
That gif is kinda too fast. I dunno if I'm mistaken but I think I saw a better version in /a/.

Anyway this gif had me in stitches. Yuuta with shades and a coat over his shoulder doing that pose is a killer.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 22:53   Link #1188
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Quote:
NSFW
Dark Flame Master, is truly someone to envy..

@Snuffle - It's Rikka, for all we know, her vision may make it look like Yuuta is being seduced by treachorous beings who wish to snatch the power of the Dark Flame Master away.
To misuse the power to break the seals that she herself guards.

Or something even more ridiculous, not sure if I want to know what's going on in that head.
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 23:08   Link #1189
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I wonder if the same thing apply to the books? Is the new shops that now carry Chuunibyou making the request as well? Or it's just that now KyoAni's book department push is more persuasive because of the anime?
In order to get your books into stores, you have to have the stores request them. For them to request them, that's due to either the store getting requests for them to stock and/or people selling the books to the stores themselves. I believe the combination of PV/anime has helped push the KA Esuma label to be better known by the stores as well as increase demand for the novels themselves. The two Chuunibyou novels have been in the top ten selling bunko books on JBOOK all week, so they're selling well. The KyoAni online shop is still taking orders, but they're out of stock until the end of the month. Demand is definitely increasing, and they've increased the number of stores twice since the beginning of the month. If I was on my home computer, I could update the list of stores with the ones added on Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I've become curious regarding the unusual family name of Rikka noticing that it's written "小鳥遊" but you read it "Takanashi". The reading is absolutely different from what the Kanji are commonly or even rarely read, like there doesn't seem to be any connection.

That's a pretty cool family name! Incidentally if Steins;gate taught me well, this is the kind of stuff that is really liked by "chuunibyou", in other words they like to come up with names that have readings completely different from how they are written and are only tied by association of concepts. I'm not completely sure but it might not be a coincidence.

BTW there's another character in this show with an equally peculiar family name: Tsuyuri, written "五月七日" (gogatsu nanoka) which means "May 7". I wonder what's the story behind this one...

Pointless trivia, but I thought that maybe I'm not the only one interested in this.
I'll comment that nameplay is quite big in the novel as well. There's a character named Kazari Kannagi in their class (I've not recognized her in one of the anime designs) whose name is written 巫部風鈴. The joke is that her given name is Kazari, but used with the kanji to say "windchime." Rumor has it that she gets angry if you call her that (Fuurin).

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 23:42   Link #1190
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
In order to get your books into stores, you have to have the stores request them. For them to request them, that's due to either the store getting requests for them to stock and/or people selling the books to the stores themselves. I believe the combination of PV/anime has helped push the KA Esuma label to be better known by the stores as well as increase demand for the novels themselves. The two Chuunibyou novels have been in the top ten selling bunko books on JBOOK all week, so they're selling well. The KyoAni online shop is still taking orders, but they're out of stock until the end of the month. Demand is definitely increasing, and they've increased the number of stores twice since the beginning of the month. If I was on my home computer, I could update the list of stores with the ones added on Thursday.
Thank you once again for the insight. I think the out-of-stock is an interesting situation. Perhaps they don't have the production backend to actually keep up with the sudden demand. That means they didn't aim very high? But maybe that's for the other thread.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 00:26   Link #1191
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
I've become curious regarding the unusual family name of Rikka noticing that it's written "小鳥遊" but you read it "Takanashi". The reading is absolutely different from what the Kanji are commonly or even rarely read, like there doesn't seem to be any connection....
To become even more trivial, that was the surname of the main guy in the Working!! ("Wagnaria") shows: Takanashi Souta.

Thanks for the explanation of it.

The other surname you mention -- "Tsuyuri written '五月七日' (gogatsu nanoka) which means 'May 7'" -- apparently relates to a story of a nobleman whose beautiful wife Tsuyuhime died a year after they were married. He built a shrine to her and dug a well beside it that gave water all year round. Because chestnut trees were blooming, it was called "Chestnut Flowers Fall 栗花落," but pronounced close to the lady's name, as "Tsuyuri." A festival of chestnut blossoms, when people prayed for rain, was held on the seventh of the fifth month, so they later started to write "Tsuyuri" with the characters for that date. (Info from this page.)

To further add to the trivia, this surname is apparently most common in Osaka and Kobe (which are in the same part of Japan as Kyoto) and not common in the rest of the country at all. So it's another bit of local colour for KyoAni.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 02:49   Link #1192
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
To become even more trivial, that was the surname of the main guy in the Working!! ("Wagnaria") shows: Takanashi Souta.
It's also made a fairly big deal of in BRS.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 03:06   Link #1193
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I really like the Lite ED, especially that part "Fure, furase hoshi no hikari yo...", Rikki was so adorable with that dance....

But yeah since no one mentioned it before, can i call a dibs on Rikka's sister, Touka?
Old 2012-10-13, 03:43   Link #1194
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
I've become curious regarding the unusual family name of Rikka noticing that it's written "小鳥遊" but you read it "Takanashi". The reading is absolutely different from what the Kanji are commonly or even rarely read, like there doesn't seem to be any connection.

After a few searches I found out that that family name actually exists and it's not the only one who's that peculiar.
Here in this page I found an explanation.

Basically "Takanashi" stands for without (nashi) hawk (taka), the kanji say "kotori asobu" (little birds play). Basically the story behind this is that since there is no hawk, the little birds can play freely.
That's a pretty cool family name! Incidentally if Steins;gate taught me well, this is the kind of stuff that is really liked by "chuunibyou", in other words they like to come up with names that have readings completely different from how they are written and are only tied by association of concepts. I'm not completely sure but it might not be a coincidence.
The main character's best friend in the Black Rock Shooter OVA is named Takanashi as well and she actually explains it to confused main character during a conversation they have early on when they first meet.

The fight scene at the end of episode is very reminiscent of the fights in BRS, incidentally.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 04:28   Link #1195
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I see, I never watched BRS so I didn't know. I guess the author of Chuunibyou wanted to homage that series in many ways.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 06:01   Link #1196
Lukeman1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I'm only now noticing this after re-watching the second episode... Rikka seems to put her guard (karate?) stance up whenever she sees Yuuta getting along with a girl, namely Shinka and Tsuyuri. She did it right away with Shinka and only put her guard up after Yuuta introduced himself to Tsuyuri. Can't this be interpreted as if Rikka has already marked Yuuta as hers? Seems she's trying to fight off any girl that would get close to him.
Think about it. If Yuuta's any indication, Chuunibyou and being a loner go hand-in-hand. Rikka's finally found companionship, she's not gonna lose it without a fight.
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 06:26   Link #1197
Qikz

After only 2 episodes, by god I'm in love with this series. Sooo amazing.

"Shall we walk home together?"
"Why?"
orz

Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 06:50   Link #1198
Skane
Anime Snark

You know, it just occurred to me that the western world has something similar already, albeit in comic form.

Calvin and Hobbes.

Can't believe it took me this long to draw a connection.

Cheers.
Old 2012-10-13, 07:11   Link #1199
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Bur Rikka isn't actually bound to her delusions. For example she is aware that her "evil eye" is just a contact lens, and in lite 02 she removes the bandage from her arm because it would be a bother during swimming lessons, completely forgetting that it was supposed to seal a harbinger of darkness.

She also can drop her fantasies if she's pushed enough, for example when Yuuta in Ep01 coerce her into telling where did she hear about the "dark flame master".

She is just a chuunibyou that takes her fantasies to an extreme, but she didn't break the barrier between normality and psychosis... yet...

Okay this might sound a bit harsh to Calvin, but I don't think he ever saw Hobbes for what he actually is not even for a brief moment. Also the reasons are completely different, Calvin is a typical case of a kid with an imaginary friend, while the "chuunibyou" is a phenomenon related to adolescents with delusions of grandeur.
The former is generally a way to fight solitude, the latter is a way to escape a boring reality where everyone is just a cog in a giant machine with no individuality.

Now that I mention it, Haruhi Suzumiya could be as well be considered a chuunibyou.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 07:27   Link #1200
KaoruAoiShiho

Quote:
Now that I mention it, Haruhi Suzumiya could be as well be considered a chuunibyou.
Great point.
KaoruAoiShiho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen