AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 6 12.77%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 4 8.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 34.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 4.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-13, 11:11   Link #61
wingman32x

I don't see them ending up as a couple, either... at least not in real time. I suppose they COULD set it up if they do an epilogue ending, though.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:28   Link #62
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
That's really not bad for hasty writing with a permanent marker on a small wooden plate. Only the first error is really anything substantial (having the vertical line cross there changes the radical).
Actually, the first three are substantially wrong, only the last one could be put down as too sloppy handwriting.

Rihoko's ema writing
First: On the left, she wrongly used the "earth" radical instead of the "craft" radical
Second: Left/bottom border, she wrongly used the "ledge" radical instead of the "movement" radical
Third: On the right, she wrongly used the katakana "ke" instead of the "axe" radical
Fourth: On the bottom, it looks like she wrote the "legs" radical instead of the "heart" radical. Only there, it could perhaps be put down as too sloppy handwriting.
Old 2010-11-13, 15:31   Link #63
pikachuwei

rihoko arc falling dooooowwwnnnn

its like Ai's arc all over again, great heroine, derp fail story/plot/pacing
Old 2010-11-13, 16:47   Link #64
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
Actually, the first three are substantially wrong, only the last one could be put down as too sloppy handwriting.
I don't know what to say to this other than that you clearly haven't seen very much sloppy handwriting. I've seen ⻌ carelessly scribbled into an "L" shape more times than I care to admit.
Old 2010-11-13, 17:01   Link #65
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
I don't know what to say to this other than that you clearly haven't seen very much sloppy handwriting. I've seen ⻌ carelessly scribbled into an "L" shape more times than I care to admit.
That doesn't make it any less wrong. Pitiful handwriting is no excuse for substantial errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuwei View Post
rihoko arc falling dooooowwwnnnn

its like Ai's arc all over again, great heroine, derp fail story/plot/pacing
No, Rihoko's arc is rather derp fail heroine and derp fail story/plot/pacing
Old 2010-11-13, 17:35   Link #66
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
What? Ai's arc is superior to this one, in most ways. I might be biased, and you can call me so, but at least Ai was a lot better of an arc in terms to pacing and development and plot, if this ends up as a couple ending. Heroine is a different matter, though, and both Ai and Rihoko have been really great heroines.
If you look at things from a romantic side, her arc has been what you're calling derp. Can't say there's even romantic development, and really bad pacing if they end up as a couple.
Now, if you look at things from a friendship side, the pacing is pretty good for that, as well as development, seeing them become closer friends.
I will much rather go for a friends ending, it will let this arc really actually flow with pacing. Ending as a couple will make me really kind of not like this arc. One thing, though.

I certainly don't agree with people who say Rihoko is a bad heroine, at all. Arc/plot/development is one thing, but the heroine is a completely different matter.
She's been a very enjoyable heroine. Thing is, I think this arc was meant to be more realistic. Childhood friends almost never end up together irl, especially after a guy has set his eyes on someone else before, and seeing things from her POV makes us understand and grow to like her more, and that I think is what they went after in the anime. Just because most of the time she stresses over eating issues doesn't mean she's a "derp" heroine, because she's had some pretty good moments where she's been funny and cute. Seeing things from her POV and getting to understand her perspective on things makes her pretty enjoyable, at least in my opinion. If you think Rihoko is a bad heroine just because she's having an eating issue, I think you need to look beyond that, and that goes for the other heroines, too.

I can agree on the arc's pacing and development being bad in terms of romance, but I can't really agree on the heroine being bad.
This arc is about the story of an unrequited love from the heroine's POV, and as much as Rihoko deserves love and is a great girl, I think it's better that it stays that way. It doesn't need to end romantically, and if it does, boy will fans get upset at the pacing they decided for this arc.

Last edited by Midnight Bliss; 2010-11-13 at 17:50.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:23   Link #67
justavisitor

how come nothing much happened in episode 3 (counting from rihoko arc) ?? Really curious to see how can they become a couple in episode 4...rihoko fans will go for the riot if only rihoko out of the six girls doesn't get the "couple ending"

Come on, staff, right the ship plz!!

7/10 for this episode
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-11-13, 18:29   Link #68
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
What? Ai's arc is superior to this one, in most ways. I might be biased, and you can call me so, but at least Ai was a lot better of an arc in terms to pacing and development and plot, if this ends up as a couple ending.
Yes, Ai's arc was a great deal better indeed - I'd even say it was the best arc so far
Ai was great and very loveable, and the story/pacing, while not always perfect, was good as well.

As for Rihoko as a heroine - the laughs were mostly about her many failures: getting stuck in the fence because stuffing herself all the time, the constant "today is the last day I'll stuff myself, tomorrow I'll start a diet" which is never acted upon, getting exhausted after three press-ups already etc.

Laughing at her continual failures might be funny, but it certainly doesn't make her a good character. What prevents her from being a good character is not so much her eating disorder, but much more her being so painfully phlegmatic, and the lack of any willpower and motivation. She's not good at anything she's doing (except eating and making food for eating it) because she's too phlegmatic to put any effort into it.

About the arc's pacing, with such an uber-phlegmatic girl, it can only move like ants on treacle. For a change in pace, Rihoko would have to change a great deal, and that's simply not happening, as she's too phlegmatic to make any progress and change herself.
If anything, she's a tragic character without any hope for improving her poor situation
Old 2010-11-13, 19:11   Link #69
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Himeji, can you stop bashing Rihoko ? It's starting to get really annoying.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:21   Link #70
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
I really don't think she's a bad heroine, at all. She's clumsy, and so is about 1/4 about every anime character in the world, yet people still love clumsy characters. Rihoko is a funny and cute girl, and one thing that's admirable about her is that she's known forever that her love for Junichi has always been one sided, yet she doesn't give up. Even though the funny moments were failures, they're funny, and she's not a horrible character. If she's lacking willpower and motivation, then why is she still trying to make her one sided love for Junichi a mutual love after all this time?
I understand the arc's pacing, development, and story has been the lowest out of all the arcs so far, but Rihoko isn't really an unlikeable character, just because she's clumsy. She's got her good points, too. It's like saying Haruka isn't a good character because she's too eccentric, or because Kaoru is too tomboyish, or Sae because she's too shy, or Ai because she teases so much, all of them have individual characteristics that define them, and they're all good heroines. If clumsiness is something that defines Rihoko, so be it, it doesn't make her a bad character. I personally think it makes her cute and funny. She's not stupid or incompetent, she's just a cheerful and clumsy girl, and it's really not her fault about the arc's pacing, because I'm sure the pacing in the vn is different and better. It doesn't matter if she's not good at anything. I'd rather see her as a clumsy, cute girl who tries her best than a mary sue/perfect at everything girl that thinks she's the best at everything and shows off about it.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:23   Link #71
sgwc
I'm just a support char..

I kind of understand what you mean Midnight Bliss. The 'God' did state that There are no such thing as bad heroines. Only bad games. Rihoko is a good heroine but the pace kind of kill her story.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:58   Link #72
justavisitor

I pretty much like all the female leads in this show...

Rihoko is a laid back girl, and this is perfectly fine imo, at least in this setting..this is just a normal high school romance...it's not like Rihoko is trying to save the world or something...well she may lack some willpower but I don't think this type of character is uncommon in this kind of the story, or should I say, real world??

I only hope Junichi and Rihoko will become a couple in the last episode...it will be so wrong if only Rihoko gets the "bad" ending XD
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-11-13, 21:47   Link #73
Qikz

Well, you guys might not like Rihoko, but I think she's awesome. Her story so far hasn't been up to all that much but it's still been good. I like how it's gradually bringing them closer together.
Old 2010-11-14, 00:40   Link #74
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

I have to say, I find the Rihoko arc fun so far (Manaka is so deadpan funny). Though Sae-chan's arc is still my favorite

But I loved the part when Rihoko bit Juni's finger after he pulled a Made-Ya-Look. I used to do this with my friends back in the day but never had the girls bite off my finger

And then when she slept in the Kotatsu, that was cute. Though with the 3 of them sleeping under it there was sure to be no leg room
Old 2010-11-14, 02:05   Link #75
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Himeji, can you stop bashing Rihoko ? It's starting to get really annoying.

Yea, all the bias is sickening. In the end, I realize it's all about the girl not the story. All the arcs have been mediocre, but I'll put Haruka on the top always because she I like her outgoing and quirky characteristics. Yea seriously.....compare plot???? I give up. Lol Personal bias for the love of your character for the win!
Old 2010-11-14, 02:13   Link #76
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
That doesn't make it any less wrong. Pitiful handwriting is no excuse for substantial errors
It's no more a "substantial error" than people running together syllables in conversational speech, like pronouncing "should have" as "shoulda". Sometimes sloppy handwriting is just sloppy handwriting, especially when written in permanent marker.
Old 2010-11-14, 15:22   Link #77
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Yea, all the bias is sickening. In the end, I realize it's all about the girl not the story. All the arcs have been mediocre, but I'll put Haruka on the top always because she I like her outgoing and quirky characteristics. Yea seriously.....compare plot???? I give up. Lol Personal bias for the love of your character for the win!
Haruka because shes the first arc and left the biggest impression on me

actually its probably because i saw an article on amagami game in my copy of famitsu and i was immediately grabbed by the superior looks of Morishima Haruka, and i was uber hyped when i heard about the anime. I was delighted at how awesome she was, not just in looks.
Old 2010-11-14, 15:36   Link #78
justavisitor

pretty much the same here...when I first saw the six female leads I thought haruka was the #1 girl...then I saw the game cover and I thought they picked the wrong girl XD (Don't really like Tsukasa's haircut....)

No offense to Tsukasa...I am just writing out my first impression of Amagami...I still don't know a thing about Tsukasa because I don't wanna get spoiled when I watch the last arc...So far, I like Haruka the most, but I can't wait to see Tsukasa's arc--then perhaps I will understand why Tsukasa is the cover girl of amagami XD
Old 2010-11-15, 10:48   Link #79
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I won't spoil it but there's plenty of reasons I look forward to Tsukasa's arc. Just two more weeks and we're there D= And actually, I thought the best looking girl among all the heroines was Tsukasa, although Haruka does come close when it comes to just that.

That being said, while the pacing in this arc is slower than any of them, Rihoko's arc did have some of the best scenes in the series, such as when she gave Junichi the gloves she knit for him. Her expression when he put them on and held her face was wonderful. My only gripe with this arc is that Junichi hasn't shown the slightest romantic interest in her throughout this arc, or the kind of connection I felt he got with other characters before, especially with Kaoru. It really makes me wonder how the next ep is gonna wrap it up but I am looking forward to it because of his attittude around Rihoko.
Old 2010-11-15, 15:08   Link #80
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
It's no more a "substantial error" than people running together syllables in conversational speech, like pronouncing "should have" as "shoulda". Sometimes sloppy handwriting is just sloppy handwriting, especially when written in permanent marker.
It could have been the animators that messed up and it has nothing to do with the characters or the story.