AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-03-24, 01:50   Link #1
kanazuchi

Send a message via AIM to kanazuchi
Memories Off 2nd

I cant seem to find any real information about this show, does anybody know what it is about and if it is worth the download?
kanazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 02:00   Link #2
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

It's based upon a dating sim (I think for PS). It's an OK series. If you are into dating sims, it might be worth the watch. I watched it and it was something to provide background noise. One of the main characters is very annoying though.
________
RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:02.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 03:09   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The Memories Off series is based on eponymous games by K*I*D for PS/PS2/Dreamcast and PC; the games go back to 1999. I remember the first OAV series, which wasn't bad at all. This series is also pretty good.

The basic scenario is an established couple (two high-schoolers) having some love problems. There are 4 or 5 main characters. It's a bit melodramatic but that's a big improvement over similar short series where almost nothing happens. Certainly this is a worthwhile series for people who enjoy shounen/seinen romance titles.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 05:53   Link #4
sothis

indeed, there isn't a lot of info.

try going to this link, click the camera for screenshots and the yellow question mark explains the difference between it and the first OVA. in addition, you can follow the "series review thread" link for a personal review by yours truly (though not a very positive one, as, in my opinion, this OVA is utter ass.)
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 09:52   Link #5
kanazuchi

Awesome, thanks alot yall.
Old 2004-03-24, 10:26   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

The only thing I can say about the MO OVAs is that they are really really bad... stay away from them if possible.

The PC games are quite good, if you enjoy some romance dating sim with some complex story added. Most of the stories are quite sad, and there's even some EVA-like endings
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 10:57   Link #7
kanazuchi

ah, what can I say, Ive turned into a sucker for good romance stories, so Im just looking for things to pass time until my friend burns some Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and the like.
Old 2004-03-24, 13:33   Link #8
sothis

Quote:
so Im just looking for things to pass time until my friend burns some Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and the like.
well, you won't find one as good as KgNE, but i personally am fond of the recent Kita-he. ~Diamond Dust Drops~. it isnt based on male/female relationships (completely), more like, realizing your dreams... but some are based on relationships and its a decent watch.
Old 2004-03-24, 15:14   Link #9
eMpTy265
<unranked>

The OVA was semi-decent... and IMO a disappointment (having played the game...)

A grossly oversimplified summary below:

Spoiler:

In my opinion, the ending was much too clean, and Ken got away with just about everything he did...

I wish the producers had stuck with the original ending, where Hotaru finds out, the crash&burn @ the piano concert, and all the other stuff....

call me cruel... but Ken doesn't deserve a good ending either.
eMpTy265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 16:45   Link #10
Mr.Minou

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy265

well not cruel at all imo.
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 21:16   Link #11
kanazuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMpTy265
The OVA was semi-decent... and IMO a disappointment (having played the game...)

A grossly oversimplified summary below:

Spoiler:

In my opinion, the ending was much too clean, and Ken got away with just about everything he did...

I wish the producers had stuck with the original ending, where Hotaru finds out, the crash&burn @ the piano concert, and all the other stuff....

I'm a sucker for happy endings, the show wasn't that bad. Now I need to wait till my friend gets back from LA so I can get some better shows burned on dvd cause my 111 gig hard drive is full
Old 2004-03-24, 21:17   Link #12
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Yeah, I didn't think any of the three main characters deserved a good ending...although their teacher was kind of amusing, she reminded me a lot of Vanilla-san from Galaxy Angel. No "drill hair" and a little more verbose, but the same out-there personality.

Ken just came across as spineless and indecisive, Hotaru as so clingy and dependent it made me cringe, and her best friend as...well, not someone you'd want to be your best friend, although at least she had a personality. Having said all that, I'm a sucker for these kind of shows, so I enjoyed watching it anyway...
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 21:34   Link #13
dreamless

my favorite characters in MO2 are Tsubame-sensei and Megumi/Nozomi-chan, so sad none of them had much role in the OVA

Old 2004-03-25, 00:02   Link #14
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I don't get what the big deal is about someone stealing a kiss. It's not the end of the world. It might seem nice to be idealistic about that sort of thing, but it leaves little room for recovery or redemption. Being rigid and brittle like that is unrealistic - I thought the OAV made that point nicely.

I can see where game fans might have their issues with adaptations, that happens every time. But shounen/seinen romance is more than likely to have a weak male main character. Whatsisname in KGNE got to be weak for what? 11 or 12 episodes? I don't remember people trashing that series.
Old 2004-03-25, 00:13   Link #15
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I don't get what the big deal is about someone stealing a kiss. It's not the end of the world. It might seem nice to be idealistic about that sort of thing, but it leaves little room for recovery or redemption. Being rigid and brittle like that is unrealistic - I thought the OAV made that point nicely.

I can see where game fans might have their issues with adaptations, that happens every time. But shounen/seinen romance is more than likely to have a weak male main character. Whatsisname in KGNE got to be weak for what? 11 or 12 episodes? I don't remember people trashing that series.
the problem of MO2 OVA is not because of a weak main character... actually the main character in the game is quite weak, and a lot of MO fans think Tomoya (MO1) and Ken-kun (MO2) deserve to get crushed by a truck/train (which does happen in certain endings in the games )

The problem about the MO OVAs is that it super-condensed the plot too much, and cut out a LOT of really cool scenes, also the character designs are distorted beyond recognition. It tries to tell a story which takes a day to finish reading in the game in 20 minutes, so many things are rushed and messed up.
Old 2004-03-25, 00:49   Link #16
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
the problem of MO2 OVA is not because of a weak main character... actually the main character in the game is quite weak, and a lot of MO fans think Tomoya (MO1) and Ken-kun (MO2) deserve to get crushed by a truck/train (which does happen in certain endings in the games )

The problem about the MO OVAs is that it super-condensed the plot too much, and cut out a LOT of really cool scenes, also the character designs are distorted beyond recognition. It tries to tell a story which takes a day to finish reading in the game in 20 minutes, so many things are rushed and messed up.
Hehe, the first MO OAV had the truck thing didn't it? I don't really have any argument with people who play a game not liking an adaptation, it always happens. I don't play them so I just watch series like this hoping for a decent story and a couple of characters I can understand. I still think this did a better job than most.
Old 2004-03-25, 01:39   Link #17
lavarock
Busy wasting my time..:-(

Memory Off 1 and 2 are not just "dating games". FYI, they were two of the top selling games in all games in Japan, and were classics in their respective genre (non H electronic novel). There are PS2/DC/PC versions. Both of them are very very good.
The OVA, in the other hand, is OK i think
lavarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 01:47   Link #18
dreamless

I prefer the Infinity series from KID more than MO series... I'd like to see someone make animes out of Never 7 and Ever 17, they have absolutely COOL storylines.
Old 2004-03-25, 14:36   Link #19
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

To be perfectly frank, Memories Off 2nd sucks. All I wanted was pretty artwork and some decent fanservice, and it didn't deliver on either count. Considering that it's an OAV, its animation is actually horrendous. The characters are incredibly annoying (except for Tsubame, who doesn't show up very often anyway)..... I just can't see why anyone, even a fan of the original game, would watch this.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-25, 15:02   Link #20
sothis

Quote:
Memory Off 1 and 2 are not just "dating games". FYI, they were two of the top selling games in all games in Japan,
i thought dragon quest held that record?

and yes, i agree with magus. it SUCKS. then again, i watched a far worse dating sim OVA yesterday... i'd rather watch memories off AND memories off 2nd 5 times before watching it again.

anyways, the one redeeming thing about memories off 2nd is that it was slightly better than the first OVA.. so i guess if you are crazy and liked the first one, you'd like this.