AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 13 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 68 47.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 20.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 17.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.10%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-13, 12:54   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

SHE had a serious illness (undisclosed) which required a hospital stay and a bit of surgery apparently. Nothing more is known since she'd like to keep it private apparently. Its been reported that she's doing better but the manga is on hold til she recovers.

As far as "cliched pairings" every pairing possible in this series is cliche -- including JinxNagi so that really isn't an argument that holds well. Personally, given Jin's personality - I'd say he's torn between Tsugumi and Nagi. He's got a huge amount of history with Tsugumi but interloper Nagi is a blast of fresh air. We also don't know what the consequences of Nagi's supernatural nature are in regard to their future. If Tsugumi doesn't hit the ground running though, she'll lose any chance with Jin whether or not Nagi stays around. Whatever, the first season ends with "advantage: Nagi" -- if they get a second season we might get "Season 2: Tsugumi Strikes Back".
Old 2009-01-13, 18:51   Link #122
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't really see any evidence Jin is torn - in fact, he's never shown even the remotest romantic interest in Tsugumi whatsoever, at least not that I remember.
Old 2009-01-13, 22:00   Link #123
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are a number of instances during the series where's he about to utter Tsugumi's name when asked or is about to tell her something .... but Jin is interrupted every single time.

Sorry, don't feel like documenting them all However, in the latter part of the series - the situation keeps compelling him to focus on Nagi which leaves Tsugumi at least temporarily forgotten.
Old 2009-01-13, 23:16   Link #124
FateAnomaly

I think the last episode already confirm Jin's choice. He is going to confess to Nagi if Tsugumi had not appear. I think he do like Tsugumi but Nagi is just too attractive for him.

Anyway, most of the time the girl i support don't win. Its probably is the same this time too.
I support JinxTsugumi btw.
Old 2009-01-13, 23:45   Link #125
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There are a number of instances during the series where's he about to utter Tsugumi's name when asked or is about to tell her something .... but Jin is interrupted every single time.

Sorry, don't feel like documenting them all However, in the latter part of the series - the situation keeps compelling him to focus on Nagi which leaves Tsugumi at least temporarily forgotten.
Was he given choice between her and Nagi? Like if you are refferring to the choice between Tsugumi and Zange then you have to remember that Nagi was not involved.

It's like being asked - 'which color you like more - orange or yellow?' and you answer orange, though you love black. Basically we don't really see him given a choice between Tsugumi and Nagi as such, but from what we see in anime it is obvious it will be Nagi all the times. He just likes her much more than Tsugumi.

And are you talking about Manga? Since in Manga it is no contest really, even less than in anime, considering that Tsugumi gets abandonned for the big plot parts. So yes, Jin is not torn at all as you state. In the manga it is more clear. In anime they tried to include Tsugumi much more but it is still rather obvious whom he really likes.
Old 2009-01-14, 01:54   Link #126
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

okay, maybe the word "torn" isn't correct. But you don't think he *originally* was leaning towards Tsugumi and then Nagi disrupted that natural course of events? He was about to utter the name Tsugumi when asked who he liked early in the series but at the end its more clear that Nagi is who he thinks of first (and of course, the feeling was accentuated by her potentially disappearing).
Old 2009-01-14, 04:00   Link #127
Oxtail

Nagi has some nearly insurmountable advantages, but yet I feel that Tsugumi isn't as out of the game as some other side characters. TsugumixJin is a long shot, but I can at least picture it. Unlike SiestaxSaito in ZnT or, say, TessaxSousuke in FMP.

In any case, I hope Tsugumi's popularity from season 1 encourages the mangaka to write her into the plot a bit more as the story goes on so she isn't shoved aside so rudely like happened in the last few episodes of the anime.
Old 2009-01-14, 06:17   Link #128
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well if we are talking about popularity then Nagi is a clear winner in Japan. Here they are pretty much equal but again, no one really cares what happens here...

Since Nagi is more popular than Tsugumi in Japan I do not expect it to influence mangaka all that much, as it only confirms Nagi is the main and most popular female role, which Mangaka made her to be. But I would not mind to at least see SOME of Tsugumi in the manga since her character really is forgotten in quite some arcs already.
Old 2009-01-14, 14:08   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed.... if I sounded like I was 'shipping - by all means I wasn't. Right now, given what I know of the anime (ignores manga) Nagi and Jin are on their way to becoming a full-blown couple; leaving Tsugumi to move along. If they have a second season though, I'd be surprised if Tsugumi wasn't written to swing around and make a good run at returning to her original spot near Jin -- otherwise its a bit of a waste of pretty entertaining character.

I guess mostly I'm hoping they'll return to the substance of Nagi's problem which the first season almost totally ignored in that little progress was made concerning it.
Old 2009-01-16, 19:34   Link #130
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

The series finale was a clever bit of misdirection I thought, which neatly sidestepped the problem of the manga being unfinished etc: instead of resolving the main issue of what Nagi's fate was going to be and the impurities and so on, they introduced the subplot of her self-doubt and then gave a (sort of) resolution to that instead, So it felt like some kind of ending had occurred but really we were just back where we started.

For me the real end was when they go to the old lady's wake, the silly stuff after that was more like an epilogue.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-01-21, 05:41   Link #131
Utau
Butler mitai~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Utau
aah-- finally got to finish the last 3 episodes of this show.. (been wanting to do this for weeks)

don't really have anything much to say since this episode/chapter did not really strike me as much but, the way it ended w/ Tsugumi mindlessly ticking her head left-to-right and then running away all teary was the best part (aside from Shige-baachan ofc) for me. Credit roll.. wow, pretty good i must say.

overall, i truly enjoyed the anime and looking forward to the continuation in the near future.

gave it a 7/10 (same goes for ep 11&12).
Old 2009-01-25, 22:05   Link #132
typhonsentra

I've made it known I didn't like the direction the last story arc took but they executed it well.
Old 2009-01-27, 22:28   Link #133
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

I guess, at the end of the day, it was quite a superb series after all, and mind you, I was secretly watching this together with CLANNAD. The direction and arts were there. I can't really nitpick on this. However, one thing is missing: The tail. It neither comes to a conclusion nor does it seem to have a lead-on effect to what's to come. [Haruhi concludes better, but that's another story]

Maybe it's a way to hold people on for the next season, assuming more material on the series comes in. I remember the period where there was an outrage in Japan over Nagi. Really, on behalf of my fellow Japanese [I'm half-Japanese, half-Chineese], I apologize over the ruckus created by a few extremists. It was just as bad during the Kannazuki no Miko "flute rape" incident, really. I guess some people are deluded in their own way.

Also, Kannagi does something that Lucky star cannot: do crossovers in a way that is not ridiculous. I personally don't really like Lucky Star for its crossovers, but in Kannagi, they make me smile. Like in ep 10, when everyone goes to karaoke, Jin walks into the wrong room and runs into the Lucky Star cast, and in episode 6 where Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) with blue hairband passed by. Little things like these make me smile.

So, yeah.
Old 2009-02-05, 06:06   Link #134
Justin Kim
*Artist

My prediction is that Jin's consistency in helping Nagi find out her own indentity will cause him to develop a more intimate relationship with her. Sadly, it's coming down to Tsugumi's "unrequited love?" I mean the last episode pretty much proved her feelings for Jin, otherwise she's just really protective of her best friend O_o. Neverthless, she can't really deny her feelings for Jin >_> Nagi on the other hand, seems to be growing a liking to Jin.
Old 2009-03-11, 04:57   Link #135
kyosak
poo

Nooo! It ended too quickly! 13 episodes were definitely not enough...

Does the manga pickup where the anime left off or did the anime cover a good amount of what's out already? Needz moar Kannagi!
Old 2009-03-12, 05:42   Link #136
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosak View Post
Nooo! It ended too quickly! 13 episodes were definitely not enough...

Does the manga pickup where the anime left off or did the anime cover a good amount of what's out already? Needz moar Kannagi!
Good question.
Old 2009-03-14, 13:09   Link #137
jigoku shoujo

Tsugumi expression after the bath scene: priceless

Spoiler for Tsugumi:
Old 2009-03-18, 02:28   Link #138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
I guess, at the end of the day, it was quite a superb series after all, and mind you, I was secretly watching this together with CLANNAD. The direction and arts were there. I can't really nitpick on this. However, one thing is missing: The tail. It neither comes to a conclusion nor does it seem to have a lead-on effect to what's to come. [Haruhi concludes better, but that's another story]

Maybe it's a way to hold people on for the next season, assuming more material on the series comes in. I remember the period where there was an outrage in Japan over Nagi. Really, on behalf of my fellow Japanese [I'm half-Japanese, half-Chineese], I apologize over the ruckus created by a few extremists. It was just as bad during the Kannazuki no Miko "flute rape" incident, really. I guess some people are deluded in their own way.

Also, Kannagi does something that Lucky star cannot: do crossovers in a way that is not ridiculous. I personally don't really like Lucky Star for its crossovers, but in Kannagi, they make me smile. Like in ep 10, when everyone goes to karaoke, Jin walks into the wrong room and runs into the Lucky Star cast, and in episode 6 where Haruhi (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) with blue hairband passed by. Little things like these make me smile.

So, yeah.
See, those are like easter eggs in games and movie DVDs... knowing about them is totally unnecessary to enjoying the story -- but they're "moments" of fun.

That's always been my pain with Lucky*Star. I love the original material and a fair amount of the series I think is an outstanding rendition of the manga -- but the "crossovers" or insertions were ham-handed and sometimes left a segment confusing or flat if you didn't know the connection. Paniponidash was far more laden with such things but managed to be funny til the last part of the series when it almost became a slideshow of cultural refs --- not there as "funny", just inserted to be inserting them.
Old 2009-03-20, 18:21   Link #139
golthin

chalk up another loss to the childhood friend.

Flat chested girls have the advantage over big breasted girls also get another mark.
Old 2009-04-02, 15:07   Link #140
Justin Kim
*Artist

Manga is on Hiatus, due to the mangaka's illness. But rather than that, the releases are still coming, so I am guessing the mangaka was released from the hospital. I am not so sure about a second season though, the production team would have to consider it with the mangaka. Although a variety of context is still there to produce a second season.
Closed Thread