AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-24, 08:09   Link #17821
sneaker

Meanwhile, in Europe:
Rating: Fitch Downgrades Portugal to junk status from BBB- to BB+

The number of bad news is still increasing, from "just" weekly to several times a day, it seems.
Old 2011-11-24, 08:12   Link #17822
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
China has not been considered an expansionistic power though most of its history. It tends to make everyone come to it. However it is expanding what it considers "China" and is making efforts to keep what it considers "China" under its control.

Unfortunately, the United States (and others) doesn't see all of what China thinks is "China" should be part of China...thus conflict. Taiwan being one of those conflicts of interest. Taiwan is heavily backed by the United States. The islands of the South China Sea are another conflict, though mostly with other nations that are not the United States, but would probably call on the United States if things went badly. The final thing is Japan, China's old rival for status in Asia. Japan has a "Defense Force" with little to no offesive ability. It is uncertain if the Japanese forces can defend against the new Chinese Navy and Air Force.
That's what really bothers me, China is usually the one getting attacked or taken apart (Taiwan/HK). They go to war when a nearby country is being invaded (Vietnam/NK) because they feel uneasy about close-by countries that are US influenced.

What I don't understand is why there is a military tension against China when their experience, technology and arsenal is leagues behind.
-----------------
If China ever does get an up front declaration of war, I wouldn't be surprised if they did occupy Taiwan for strategic staging. But I just see them as extremely passive when it comes to invasion. The countless conflicts with the Japanese in the past yet they don't take the slightest actions in revenge by attacking their homeland like the US did before.

If china was a single person, it would be a really really fat and lazy baby that tries to mimic everything you do. The best way to stop it from doing things you don't like is to stop doing those things yourself.
---------------
I really wish the two countries here (Canada/US) would pay more attention to the country itself than waste it on war and flaunting with other nations >__>.
Old 2011-11-24, 08:58   Link #17823
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
That's what really bothers me, China is usually the one getting attacked or taken apart (Taiwan/HK). They go to war when a nearby country is being invaded (Vietnam/NK) because they feel uneasy about close-by countries that are US influenced.

What I don't understand is why there is a military tension against China when their experience, technology and arsenal is leagues behind.
-----------------
If China ever does get an up front declaration of war, I wouldn't be surprised if they did occupy Taiwan for strategic staging. But I just see them as extremely passive when it comes to invasion. The countless conflicts with the Japanese in the past yet they don't take the slightest actions in revenge by attacking their homeland like the US did before.

If china was a single person, it would be a really really fat and lazy baby that tries to mimic everything you do. The best way to stop it from doing things you don't like is to stop doing those things yourself.
---------------
I really wish the two countries here (Canada/US) would pay more attention to the country itself than waste it on war and flaunting with other nations >__>.
I'm pretty sure China didn't "go to war" during Vietnam war (1955-1975) through,and almost didn't intervene into Korea until the very end. So agree that they are quite passive when it comes to full scale invasion

Past border clashes with Vietnam and India (70s and 80s) tends to be costly though. Thousand lives within few months every occasion. But they did not show the capacity of destructive firepower like of the US, by that time at least. With all of the investment into military hardware recently, the casualties would have been risen by factor of 10

So if US want to keep a peace keeping force in the Pacific. They are welcomed to. The problem is, i don't think peace-keeping of the region is within US interest. And what they had right now is more than enough for peace keeping job anyway
Old 2011-11-24, 09:29   Link #17824
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I'm pretty sure China didn't "go to war" during Vietnam war (1955-1975) through,and almost didn't intervene into Korea until the very end. So agree that they are quite passive when it comes to full scale invasion

Past border clashes with Vietnam and India (70s and 80s) tends to be costly though. Thousand lives within few months every occasion. But they did not show the capacity of destructive firepower like of the US, by that time at least. With all of the investment into military hardware recently, the casualties would have been risen by factor of 10
Hmm, this statement is a bit ambiguous. If you are stating that China did not intervene until Kim Il-sung was pushed backed to the Chinese North Korean boarder, you are absolutely correct. Otherwise, the war lasted from 25 June 1950 til armistice signed on 27 July 1953, and the Chinese entered the battle in October 1950, so that's not "until the very end".

Anyway, I don't think China should or will enter another war in the near future, unless there is some dramatic change of situations.
Old 2011-11-24, 09:36   Link #17825
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Hmm, this statement is a bit ambiguous. If you are stating that China did not intervene until Kim Il-sung was pushed backed to the Chinese North Korean boarder, you are absolutely correct. Otherwise, the war lasted from 25 June 1950 til armistice signed on 27 July 1953, and the Chinese entered the battle in October 1950, so that's not "until the very end".

Anyway, I don't think China should or will enter another war in the near future, unless there is some dramatic change of situations.
Without their intervention it's near the end of the war right then. But it didn't change my point =]
Old 2011-11-24, 10:03   Link #17826
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Meanwhile, in Europe:
Rating: Fitch Downgrades Portugal to junk status from BBB- to BB+

The number of bad news is still increasing, from "just" weekly to several times a day, it seems.
Here is a good piece of news :

Rolling Stone names Hendrix best guitarist ever

Quote:
(Reuters) - Legendary musician Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitar player in history on Wednesday by Rolling Stone magazine in a list compiled by a panel of music experts and top guitar players.

"Jimi Hendrix exploded our idea of what rock music could be: He manipulated the guitar, the whammy bar, the studio and the stage," said Grammy-winning guitarist Tom Morello in the magazine, citing Hendrix's "Purple Haze" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" as key tracks.

Hendrix is joined by the likes of Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend among the top 10, in a list laden with rock 'n' roll icons spanning decades.

The panel of experts recruited to vote for their favorite guitar players included musicians such as Lenny Kravitz, Eddie Van Halen (who was voted No. 8), Brian May and Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, along with a selection of Rolling Stone's senior writers and editors.

The experts also weighed in on their favorites, with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready calling Eddie Van Halen "a master of riffs" and Joe Perry praising Jimmy Page's "vision of how to transcend the stereotypes of what the guitar can do."

The full list will be featured in a special issue with four special covers of Van Halen, Clapton, Hendrix and Page, and will be on newsstands and online at www.rollingstone.com on Friday. Rolling Stone's top 10 greatest guitarists follow:

1. Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. Jimmy Page

4. Keith Richards

5. Jeff Beck

6. B.B. King

7. Chuck Berry

8. Eddie Van Halen

9. Duane Allman

10. Pete Townshend

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:05   Link #17827
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

One of the rationales for transferring the Marines to Australia is to remove them from Okinawa, an action which was long overdue. I suspect the strategic reason is to place them closer to Southeast Asian sea lanes, but I wouldn't be surprised if the decision had as much to do with US-Japan relations as with relations with Australia or China.

2,500 troops is obviously only a small step forward when the US has 35,000 men and women based in Japan. However that 2,500 figure appears to constitute most of the 4,000 Marines at the Futemna Marine Naval Air Station. My guess is the Marines will find the locals in Darwin won't tolerate the same horrid behavior they've shown from time to time on Okinawa.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:53   Link #17828
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I didn't know he wasn't already first xD. He is always the best of all time for me.
Praising old guitarists aren't good enough news to overshadow war, sadly... UNLESS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-UjB94LyYY
Old 2011-11-24, 16:58   Link #17829
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Thanksgiving kicks off fight for holiday sales
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AN0A720111124
Old 2011-11-24, 17:07   Link #17830
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaL View Post
You think India is a democracy?
As much of a democracy as the US.
Old 2011-11-24, 17:21   Link #17831
sa547
*Author

http://technology.inquirer.net/6413/...terror-hackers

Didn't know they're doing it for long, but now they're facing very serious consequences.
Old 2011-11-24, 18:10   Link #17832
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
As much of a democracy as the US.
India is a mess - their private ports work better than government ports.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-11-24, 18:40   Link #17833
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

India may not be perfectly functioning, but it's still a democracy, parties get elected, and power changes hands between parties peacefully.

Now I never said it was a democracy that ruled well.
Old 2011-11-24, 22:00   Link #17834
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
India is a mess - their private ports work better than government ports.
Doesn't sound all that different from the US either.

Old 2011-11-25, 07:08   Link #17835
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Oppenheimers consign diamonds to the past
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AL0ZG20111122
Quote:
There is nothing intrinsically valuable about diamonds. The fact that we think of them as precious is mostly thanks to South Africa's Oppenheimer dynasty. It is they who, with a bit of help from an American advertising man, sprinkled the rocks with romance and convinced the world that diamonds are forever.
Old 2011-11-25, 07:21   Link #17836
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I is for Illegal: Acting on Sesame Street without a visa
Actor Carlo Alban featured as a child on Sesame Street while living in the US illegally. It was his dream job, but he was in constant fear of exposure.

Wow. All this time i been watching him on Sesame Street and didn't realize the secret he was hiding.
Old 2011-11-25, 07:24   Link #17837
Zakoo

Well obviously, since diamonds can turn instantly into graphite. though the day we will be able to turn graphite into real diamond (and not some cheap thing) hasn't come, as long as we can't it's still has some value I guess.

Still it is indeed forever... based on a human life.
Old 2011-11-25, 08:51   Link #17838
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Doesn't sound all that different from the US either.

Actually US is much better because they prohibit cranes from lifting two containers at once attached only by a set of twist-locks. US port operators are always looking for an opportunity to sack crane operators for doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
India may not be perfectly functioning, but it's still a democracy, parties get elected, and power changes hands between parties peacefully.

Now I never said it was a democracy that ruled well.
Democracy stop existing in the 1980s after the Soviet Union collapsed, because they no longer had a competing ideology.

Today, it has morphed into either plutocracy, autocracy or idiocracy. For example, pre-2011 election Singapore is an autocracy, but during and after the election, it could be considered an idiocracy now.

EDIT :

Crowds hit stores for "Black Friday" deals

While you guys know the standard drill of me ranting over Big Corp and how stupid we are to feed them with our spending habits, Black Friday also has another significance.

It is the only day where you get to see WOMEN behaving at their WORST with your BEST INTERESTS at heart. Scary.

Girls, if you want your significant half to treat you nicer, or you simply want to scare him away or into submission, ask him to accompany you for Christmas shopping.

Whoever quoted the phrase "Man is the most dangerous creature God ever put in this world" sucked at spelling - should have added the two letters "Wo" in front.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-11-25 at 09:45.
Old 2011-11-25, 09:41   Link #17839
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Not saying there's a better system or a better country in the world, but the current democracy is an illusion that makes people believe things are fair and righteous.

People think as if a democracy allows everyone's opinion to become accepted and applied when it's only the majority (which is usually half or less than half the population as there's more than just 2 sides).
--------------------
And it is idiocracy to some degree as the people that have equal say to you might be brainwashed patriots or just plain ignorant.

It's easily observed in political arguments on forums where you start feeling embarrassed that someone is taking your side but don't know a thing about what your side is and just makes it look unreasonably stupid.

I have had a time where I was talking about the Conservative Party and someone kept bashing them saying the Republicans are better and what mistakes the Conservatives party made and how they cheated the republicans and he went on and on. (Conservatives and republicans are not even in the same country)
Old 2011-11-25, 09:42   Link #17840
sneaker

And a new day with fresh news, Hungary (not Euro country) downrated to junk:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/hungary-junked-moodys

Meanwhile Italy has to pay some 6.5 % interest for their newest bonds - with only 6 months duration! (Germany had to pay some 0.018% or 0.028% the last time I looked....). Despite the ECB still continuing to buy bonds....
Merkel is still playing a bit reluctant on Euro bonds and the ECB expanding their buying program (not that the latter would matter, because it is done anyways).

Let's see what happens next, the day is not over yet.

Maybe I should make a signature for my posts?
Furthermore, I think Carthage the European Union must be destroyed
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international