AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-14, 13:41   Link #3761
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbo3d View Post
isn't MG is like science and AM is like usual magic.
They both have pseudo-scientific explanations, where Ancient Magic has a lot more question marks (unless you are Tatsuya and get to see it in action).
Old 2013-03-14, 14:34   Link #3762
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Was checking up on this series a while ago. How exactly does the magic in this series work? Is it really magic at all? Does this count as a hardcore sci fi instead of fantasy kinda like Sword Art Online?
Ever heard of Clarke's Third Law? It states that "Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic."

This world operates under the reverse of that: "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science."

Basically, magic used to be normal fantasy, but then they started replacing staffs and books with CADs and classifying the different types of magic until it's more or less the same as science.
Old 2013-03-14, 14:46   Link #3763
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Was checking up on this series a while ago. How exactly does the magic in this series work? Is it really magic at all? Does this count as a hardcore sci fi instead of fantasy kinda like Sword Art Online?
Basically, the real world is the matrix and magicians are the people who can manipulate and overwrite the code and numbers for reality.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:16   Link #3764
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
a shame she didn't adopt him-be it 10 years ago,since she can't have child herself,or three years ago,when his true powers became aparent-they suit each other perfectly,or so it seem to me.
beside,that way,tatsuya would be the undisputed heir,as he desearve to be.
I still think it's going to turn out that Tatsuya is her child at least through the use of her eggs since the damage was more likely to her womb rather than he eggs. maybe used her eggs but he was carried by Miya since she holds guilt over what happened to her sister and might've wanted to do something like this for her sister. When they realized he couldn't use magic the way they thought magicians should, they erased all evidence and just made it so he was Miya's son "biologically" to try and keep him from being the heir.
Old 2013-03-14, 15:46   Link #3765
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
It's pseudo science, Magic is defined as to be able to change your environnement via the manipulation of two new elemental magic particule, it's just that as often in this kind of stories it can turn into superpowers.
Old 2013-03-14, 20:05   Link #3766
Rava

Quote:
Not to add another answer to the chain of responses but...

You have two big types of magic in this series: Modern Magic and Ancient Magic.

Modern Magic is the standardized technomagic for the series and constitutes what the characters are learning in the series. Modern Magic is usually stored and used with a device referred to as a "CAD" (Casting Assistant Device) to speed up the casting time to nearly instantaneous speeds. Think of it like an electronic spellbook that you can also cast from.

Ancient Magic, on the other hand, covers things like Ninjutsu and "Traditional" magic, like magic that uses shikigami (basically paper dolls) and charms and whatnot. It CAN be used with a CAD, but you need Tatsuya (the main character) to do it, currently.

However, all magic is categorized in some way, with Modern Magic specifically being categorized by what you are doing to achieve an effect rather than the effect itself. So fire and cold magic is actually "Vibration" magic normally where you affect how molecules move back and forth...but it can also come from "Speed" magic where you affect how fast actual objects are moving, depending on what specific kind of cold/fire effect you are going for.
Old 2013-03-15, 13:23   Link #3767
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyuki
Hot.

My whole body is,

Hot.

---------------------

I’m sorry, Nii-san.

I’m so sorry, Onii-sa……
Feel free to take that however you want
Old 2013-03-15, 15:37   Link #3768
Seitsuki
Onee!

As a translator it is my right to use whatever word choices I see fit and if I just so happen to use them to further my own agendas then you'll have to damn well deal with it Are you implying that I'm implying something? How rude! You think way too much.
Old 2013-03-15, 15:45   Link #3769
Awrya
U mad?

Seitsuki is obviously only translating her true thoughts, the truth (tsundere) and the truth behind the truth (brocon), nothing more nothing less.
Old 2013-03-15, 20:48   Link #3770
babbo3d
2d 3d all lolis are equal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
As a translator it is my right to use whatever word choices I see fit and if I just so happen to use them to further my own agendas then you'll have to damn well deal with it Are you implying that I'm implying something? How rude! You think way too much.
i agree no agendas but i can't shake the feeling some things were left unsaid.
Old 2013-03-15, 23:51   Link #3771
waffler

i kept reading volume 7 over and over and thought miyuki should have told them the other half xD
Old 2013-03-16, 00:53   Link #3772
NeutralZero

^If she told them about his decomposition, its like telling them that he's the 2nd unregistered war class mage of japan...
An unwise move...
Tatsuya's already fearsome, there's no reason to add more...
Old 2013-03-16, 00:54   Link #3773
babbo3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
i kept reading volume 7 over and over and thought miyuki should have told them the other half xD
Why is there any gain.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:38   Link #3774
waffler

^ so they dont compare him to people on ichijous level
Old 2013-03-16, 01:46   Link #3775
NeutralZero

For him having a level higher than the level of a head successor of a family is definitely not a gain...
more than a paper loss but and actual real loss...
It would just attract unwanted attention...
Old 2013-03-16, 01:46   Link #3776
babbo3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
^ so they dont compare him to people on ichijous level
And for that she should reveal national defense secrets, it sucks but he has to bite the bullet if that's the only reason (good thing is Tatsuya i would have revealed everything already).

P.S: though i understand where you are coming from.
Old 2013-03-16, 02:58   Link #3777
CrimsonDragon

guys, look this:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...-22/ref=nosim/
i dont know if you already know about
Old 2013-03-16, 04:48   Link #3778
bludvein

I was just re-reading the translated parts of the past arc and I got to thinking....what would the story be like if Miyuki had died there? Thoughts?
Old 2013-03-16, 06:07   Link #3779
Seitsuki
Onee!

No story.

That being said, you can't even blame me for the innuendo in the next part. Even I winced slightly. Or maybe those were just shivers of delight
Old 2013-03-16, 07:03   Link #3780
Kleeyook
Yandere maniax

^^ the reason why I can't bring myself to like Miyuki even if it's absolutely not her fault being the only one who can keep Tatsuya in check (his only reason for... what? I myself don't know what'll happen if Miyuki died, will he just nuke the world and killed countless innocent people who absolutely have nothing to do with her death just to express how he has the worst time of his life to them?). And I hate the Yotsuba in general. I wouldn't think of anyone who fear Tatsuya to be jerks either. We can't have someone who can destroy the world at his whim to be at peace without someone trying to get rid of him because of their paranoid, and I can't blame them.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings