AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 15 12.20%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 15.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 26.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 19.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 8.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.63%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 4.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.44%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-19, 23:43   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Welcome to the discussion thread for Lucky Star, Episode 01.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Absolutely no spoilers for future events from the manga in the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, then PM them. Any spoilers, even under the spoiler tags, that reveals future events will be deleted.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread.

Spoiler tags still can be used where one deems appropriate. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma does it.
or
The macho way: By writing those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=the reason for *your* spoiler]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for reminder:
Old 2007-04-20, 06:58   Link #2
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Copy-pasta from before.
~~~~ ~~~~

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep01:
---- ----
  • The OP is insane. I haven't had to apply speed-reading skills for some time now. Loving the lyrics.
  • Unsurprisingly, the food segment was a whole lot smoother once I actually understood what they were talking about. Scarily, for some of the conversation, I actually have had similar talks with my friends before; especially on the issue of various cooking methods.

"SALT!"
    "NO SALT!"
    *cue half-an-hour argument over the merits of adding salt*

(Yes folks, there ARE men who know how to cook and like to talk about it too)
  • Some of the transitions between conversation topics was a bit abrupt, but it can also be viewed as a realistic example of casual banter between friends which can wildly derail without a moment's notice.
  • Kagami is love. She is shaping up to be my favourite character in Lucky Star. Her remarks on the other girls are often a riot, and she is hilarious when she loses her composure, such as the time she screeched at Miyuki after the physical examination.
  • Lucky Channel remains my favourite part of the episode. For those who do not know yet, the male presenter is the VA of Taniguchi from "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu".
  • It has been mentioned before already, but I too imagined Akira taking out a smoke when she went into that guttural tone of voice.
  • I am hoping that Lucky Channel will continue, and that they use it as a platform to poke fun at the whole anime industry as a whole. Self-deprecating humour is wonderful when done right.
  • For those wondering about the song that Konata is singing in the ED...

Uchû Tetsujin Kyodain (1976)
ADD] Some Quotes:

Kagami: "Is this woman a Saint?! That would've never occured to me!"

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-20, 10:24   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I threw a "9" at the first ep (mostly because I thought the food seqment probably belongs in the middle or towards the end for the sake of people unfamiliar to the comic). I rated it so highly because it was a really tight adaptation of the comic. If you like the comic, that's great --- if 4-koma puts you to sleep, move along.

The OP was wild wacky nutso .... an interesting 180 from the calm syncopation of the content. The ED silliness (extended offscreen karaoke) is greatness because Kona sings so wonderfully horribly and puts her whole being into it (Aya must have a great time with it, though you wonder what it is doing to her normal singing ).

The anime and manga is like a japanese version of Peanuts but with injected moe and current fads. There's a subtle 'philosophy' but mostly an exposition of character personalities that manage to accept each other despite frustrations.

I'm also interested in seeing how far into the manga they get in 24ish eps, especially with the Lucky*Channel segment. Its a hysterical segment but it has two problems:
1) It removes time that could be used for more source content.
2) Once we explore the bipolar Akira (funny a few times) what do they do next? I just find it a bit tough to think they can do that the entire season.

Overall, I'm loving the adaptation and Konata and Kagami are particular wins.

@Skane: fabulous youtube link... omigod that so reminds me of watching Ultraman when I was kid in the 1960s.... I loved that show (so campy). Unfortunately, my local station dropped it just as soon as two of the rangers started having feelings for each other (can't have kids seeing romance I guess...????).
Old 2007-04-20, 11:03   Link #4
Codine

i gave it a 3. I don't hate the anime i just thought that 10 minutes of talking about food was boring. I still have hopes for this anime though.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:08   Link #5
JediNight
キズランダム

Codine: As popular as this show seems, it really is more of a niche series is the thing. I'll admit the food part did start to drag a bit after awhile, but overall you have to have appreciation for 4-koma stuff, and the humor/silliness in the various things we do in real life. It is a good series, it's just not a series that everyone will enjoy. Much like some people don't like horror or shoujo, etc.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:25   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye... I'm not going to complain or rant at anyone who doesn't like it. It is very much a "special tastes" sort of thing (to quote Mayumi from Shuffle!). I happen to love this sort of droll subtlety.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:43   Link #7
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I voted 9 for the 1st episode. The opening was GREAT!!! The story flow blends well with the manga, but it's kinda different when you imagine it while reading scantalations and watching the anime sub and raws. Still this anime has ALOT of potential and I love the parodies. Konata Ryu VS Foreigner LOL that gave me a good laugh. Seems this is more on words than the slap stick comedic anime.
Old 2007-04-20, 11:51   Link #8
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

I gave the first episode a 7. As has been mentioned in the generic thread, it isn't hilarious just constantly amusing and I feel that is the way it is supposed to be.

I got some good grins out of it and a few chuckles, and that can be hard to do for me. The food scene did drag on a bit, but it was amusing to watch for it's mundane normalcy and to familarize myself with how the characters interact.

Thinking about it I probably should've given the episode an 8, ah well.

[Edit] oops, apparently I DID vote an 8, thats what I get for voting and then deciding to write my own little mini-opinion a few hours later.
Old 2007-04-20, 12:02   Link #9
Larcx
Zetsubou

i voted 7 for the first eps,and 9 for the second eps
i think next eps will be much better 2
Old 2007-04-20, 12:42   Link #10
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

In hindsight, once Lucky Star is finished, we'll probably look back at this first episode and think, "Yeah, KyoAni you smart bastards you got me again! Now I see why you did what you did with the first episode!"

At least that's what I thought of their last 3 animation series: Air, Haruhi and Kanon. Those three series came in full circle once they ended.
Old 2007-04-20, 14:35   Link #11
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I voted "very good" since the first episode was very funny.

So, how do you eat your food? I seriously hope it continues in this style, being about everything but something.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Old 2007-04-20, 14:44   Link #12
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
I got a question might sound domb to some but i am currious to understand.

I watched the first ep when it first was released. I downloaded it because of the information that was provided. Seems liek ti could be fun. But when i watched it it was very painfull to watch and stay awake at the same time. So i thought sicne normaly im a type ofve guyt hat tend to like a very wide varayaty ofve animes that this must be a fluke anime.

But yet this anime just got it's self its very own forum section when i would argue tot he death to give some other animes a section and take this one out.

So what is so great about this anime? What did I miss? Why do you all liek this anime? basicly i wanan understand what i don't :P so replies into telling me were i failed to appreciate this series would be very welcomed.
Old 2007-04-20, 14:49   Link #13
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Hmm... bait?

Okay, I'll bite... it's like eating Apple Jacks for breakfast, "we like it 'coz we do!"

"The more you know"-sign pops up.
Old 2007-04-20, 14:50   Link #14
Sun-Ku

Well its a thing of "like this type (niche) of Anime or not".
Mainly there is no such thing as "missing something" There is no Plot and such things, is plain and simple an art of Comedy you do like or not.
Old 2007-04-20, 14:51   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
as vexx pointed out its really just up to personal tastes ~ you either love it and laught your ass off or hate it and find it boring (like what youve experienced) ~ but its all there so theres nothing more to explain...i for one loved it from the first 10 seconds into the OP...that was the icebreaker and it woke me up to attention :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-20, 15:03   Link #16
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
Awww ok thank you for the info. I'll give it one more shot to be sure and then lay ti to rest if i still dont get it.
Old 2007-04-20, 15:29   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its kind of like some people think Monty Python is hysterical and others sit there and just blink asking "whats so funny?"
(or Hitchhiker's Guide or Firesign Theater... National Lampoon... )

the humor is in the details, the implicit, the style of delivery, character humor (some characters just make one laugh).

The food sketch seems to throw many people off... its like an old George Burns gag .... the setup runs for 4, 5 or more minutes and then the payoff is so mild that people either blinkstare or die laughing.
Old 2007-04-20, 20:26   Link #18
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EadTaes View Post
Awww ok thank you for the info. I'll give it one more shot to be sure and then lay ti to rest if i still dont get it.
I think one of the reasons so many people didn't "get" it at first was the lousy translation. I rewatched ep1 with the wind sub and it was orders of magnitude more sensible than previously. AFK seems to be the consensus favorite, and I don't disagree with that either. But the jokes here don't have a chance with a sloppy sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The food sketch seems to throw many people off... its like an old George Burns gag .... the setup runs for 4, 5 or more minutes and then the payoff is so mild that people either blinkstare or die laughing.
What made it work for me is Konata revisits the topic at the end of the show. Can you say, "running gag"?

I also liked it better now that I understand the personalities better. The seriousness with which ultra-otaku-Konata declares, "You don't flip it."
Old 2007-04-21, 04:03   Link #19
domino
デレデレ

I thought the opening was cute and well-animated so I decided to watch this, but... it was a painful experience. It's like being locked in a small room with the most uninteresting people in the world and being forced to listen to the most dull conversations imaginable. Yikes. It's a shame, too, because the characters ARE potentially interesting -- they're just presented in extremely boring situations. This show is a waste of good character ideas and good animation.

Some shows can do this kind of thing well, but this is not one of them. I can't believe half of that episode was about proper ways to eat food. It was slightly interesting for about thirty seconds, and then it stretches on and on and on...

The only thing that kept me from voting "painful" was the nice opening. Other than that, the only part of the entire episode that was even slightly funny was the very end with the crazy pink haired girl with the long sleeves. Everything else... ugh. Not touching any more of this.
Old 2007-04-21, 04:34   Link #20
GriS

I love OP, one of my favourites beside Samurai Champloo. I can't stop myself from re winding the fast-paced opening with random lyrics every now and then xD

I agree that food section really drags on for too long, nevertheless as a whole, the show fits in my taste for humours. Of course, the best part is LUCKY CHANNEL with kawaii host.
Closed Thread