AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-09, 13:27   Link #41
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Sailor Moon Uncut Boxsets?

I was wondering what series of Sailor Moon have been released in ADV's uncut boxsets, and if they are still readily available. Also, for those who own these... how is the quality? It's an older series so I'm not expecting perfection... but they are watchable, right? Mono or stereo sound?
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 00:52   Link #42
Ohmstar
I Forgot I Liked Anime

Send a message via AIM to Ohmstar
Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon.....?

I've been a fan of Sailormoon for more years than I care to admit. I had a long period of buying the official Japanese DVDs (though they were mostly the musicals and the live action series; I only ever got SuperS and Stars of the anime series). My fandom also extended to purchasing the official American DVDs (both dub and sub). But I've always felt that these DVDs were.....subpar at best. The audio and video quality were both well below that of the Japanese DVDs, and the subs...well, they could stand to be a bit better.

All of the American licenses for Sailormoon have lapsed and the American DVDs are no longer officially available (you can still find them for outrageous prices on eBay and Amazon, though). So, I was wondering: are there any fansub groups out there willing to put out better fansubs out, since the license has expired?

I know it's fairly unlikely, since most people couldn't care less about this classic series (it seems). But I think this series could stand a new release from a group that actually cares about it, and wants to see it in its nicest form.

There have been some groups releasing Sailor Stars lately, and they've been great. But what about the rest of the series? Just once in my life, I'd like to see the complete series released with accurate subtitles and good video and audio from people who are actually FANS of the series, instead of people who are just doing it because it's their job.
Ohmstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-09, 11:41   Link #43
Ohmstar
I Forgot I Liked Anime

Send a message via AIM to Ohmstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiDusk View Post
I was wondering what series of Sailor Moon have been released in ADV's uncut boxsets, and if they are still readily available. Also, for those who own these... how is the quality? It's an older series so I'm not expecting perfection... but they are watchable, right? Mono or stereo sound?
ADV released "uncut" box sets of the first two seasons. The quality is horrible. The video is dull and lifeless. The audio is mono, and really bad mono at that. The subtitles are not that great. But since no one cares about the American fans of Sailor Moon, that's the best you can expect.
Ohmstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 23:11   Link #44
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
There are fansubbers still around that care about Sailor Moon. (points to self) My only problem is that I've been superly busy with life the past year or two. I'm currently indulging in the delights of being an Exchange student in Japan so as you can imagine fansubbing does kinda take a bit of a back seat to leading the lifestyle that goes with ryuugaku'ing.

My Japanese is developing slowly but surely..I am able to translate shows when I have the full Japanese transcript available (think Trapp) and audio translation I guess is not that far away...

Keep the faith says I. There are still people out there that care.

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 01:03   Link #45
sailor_titan
Setsujoku no Senshi

Send a message via AIM to sailor_titan
please someone fansub this...

It's not a matter of not wanting to buy the licensed versions of Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon SuperS. It's not even a matter of affording them. This series is simply now next-to-impossible to find, let alone buy. It's not even like I go on ebay and find the show for five bajillion dollars because it's so rare. You can't even find it at all, except for Hong Kong bootlegs. No luck on Amazon, either.

Please, someone fansub this. Clearly, Toei is no longer interested in profiting from the (still surprisingly large) Sailor Moon fanbase in the west. I wanted to get the show when it was available, but I couldn't afford it at the time....

I'll love you forever if you do it!
sailor_titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 12:48   Link #46
Casshern

I'm an unrepenting lunatic. After 15 years I still love this series.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 05:22   Link #47
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_titan View Post
It's not a matter of not wanting to buy the licensed versions of Sailor Moon - Sailor Moon SuperS. It's not even a matter of affording them. This series is simply now next-to-impossible to find, let alone buy. It's not even like I go on ebay and find the show for five bajillion dollars because it's so rare. You can't even find it at all, except for Hong Kong bootlegs. No luck on Amazon, either.

Please, someone fansub this. Clearly, Toei is no longer interested in profiting from the (still surprisingly large) Sailor Moon fanbase in the west. I wanted to get the show when it was available, but I couldn't afford it at the time....

I'll love you forever if you do it!
Well, I know of at least one group subbing the show, (They've currently subbed the first 24 episodes) but because they also have tons of licensed anime there, I'm propably not allowed to give a link. And rips from the DVDs aren't accepted, even if ADV no longer holds the license, right? Funny, I thought it was rather easy to find the series online, yet all the places I've found it seems to be against the forum-rules somehow...

Also, why is this series still in the "Licensed"-subforum? Didn't ADV lose the rights like, 4 years ago?
Old 2008-08-30, 00:50   Link #48
ChibiBoi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBoi
omg i can't believe it's been four years already... anyway, i think i know the site that vegard_aune is talking about lol i got some of their subs of sailor moon and their fonts were just too wacky and colorful for me lol i prefer the normal-looking subs for sailor moon like they had back in the good-old days. anyway, that's why i had my fansubbing group take on the project. we are currently planning on doing the entire series (maybe not stars since fot&a-w did the entire season in high quality)

i just can't stand the adv dvds' audio...
ChibiBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-30, 09:46   Link #49
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Well, I know of at least one group subbing the show, (They've currently subbed the first 24 episodes) but because they also have tons of licensed anime there, I'm propably not allowed to give a link. And rips from the DVDs aren't accepted, even if ADV no longer holds the license, right? Funny, I thought it was rather easy to find the series online, yet all the places I've found it seems to be against the forum-rules somehow...

Also, why is this series still in the "Licensed"-subforum? Didn't ADV lose the rights like, 4 years ago?
They technically didn't sub the show. I know witch group you're talking about because I used to frequent them when I was new to the anime torrent scene. The took the original subtitles of the dvd and made them pretty. I don't know why the person added those translator notes. They don't claim to be a fansub group either. I was really mad though when I saw at the top of the screen a sub titles explain all of what the nega-verse was I just thought "why?".
Old 2008-09-12, 03:01   Link #50
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmstar View Post
ADV released "uncut" box sets of the first two seasons. The quality is horrible. The video is dull and lifeless. The audio is mono, and really bad mono at that. The subtitles are not that great. But since no one cares about the American fans of Sailor Moon, that's the best you can expect.
All fingers point to Toei in regards to that. They were planing thier own boxsets for Sailor Moon at that point and, of course, to disuade would be money saving otaku in japan from saving money by reverse importing, they made ADV use DIC's masters which were fairly anchent by this point and lacking the "next episode previews" and such.

The short of it is, Toei are assholes.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 16:11   Link #51
sofiayuna

Sailor Moon...

hey there everyone

im sure most of you have heard of sailor moon.
Could ya help me out.

In a season of sailor moon, 2 aliens Ann and Alan (english)
come, and i really cannot! remember what season or what episodes
they are in. I cant seem 2 find anything that will tell
me either...

Could someone tell me what season or episodes
they first came in, thankies everyone
sofiayuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 23:20   Link #52
Siegel Clyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiayuna View Post
hey there everyone

im sure most of you have heard of sailor moon.
Could ya help me out.

In a season of sailor moon, 2 aliens Ann and Alan (english)
come, and i really cannot! remember what season or what episodes
they are in. I cant seem 2 find anything that will tell
me either...

Could someone tell me what season or episodes
they first came in, thankies everyone
It's been a long time since I watched the Sailor Moon anime, but I think they appear in the second season of Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R. I don't remember the exact episodes they appear in, though.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 08:53   Link #53
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith View Post
and any form of copying of copyrighted material is a no-no, regardless of purposes

Not true, so long as you keep the copies to yourself. You can (per fair use) copy the dvd to your hard drive, your pda, and play it in your dvd player. You can't put that copy up on a P2P service and expect not to get in trouble though.
I'm surprised no one pointed this out.

Actually, you can't, the DMCA affords that breaking the CSS encryption by ripping DVDs is illegal, even is just for yourself.

Cheers! Go Bill Clinton

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 05:35   Link #54
tyciol
*Artist

For anyone still interested in these first two seasons, I thought it would be good to bring to attention that in checking the tracker, SailorMoonCenter seems to have done batch torrents of both seasons these past 2 years...

http://animesuki.com/series.php/300.html just links to http://www.animew0rld.net/torrents/ so the links are not very specific. I had to look around their site tracker a bit to find them. I am wondering if possible AS staff might be able to improve the links to go to these pages? As far as I can tell they are the right ones.

1-46: http://www.animew0rld.net/torrents/i...2ecf3cb660e379
47-89: http://www.animew0rld.net/torrents/i...33fc623077ac53

I don't know if it's possible to get more specific than that, I know in the past AS has linked directly to the torrent files as well. In which case, that would be:
1-46: http://www.animew0rld.net/torrents/d...f3cb660e379&f=[SMC]_Sailor_Moon_01-46(R2_DVD.H264.AAC).torrent
47-89: http://www.animew0rld.net/torrents/d...c623077ac53&f=[SMC]%20Sailor%20Moon%20R%2047-89(R2%20DVD.H264.AAC).torrent

I apologize but the URL seems to get cut off and I can't seem to make it post without transforming it into a hyperlink, so it would probably be easier for most people to go to the first 2 links for the torrent pages and doing 'copy url'. Or else, from here, you would do "copy URL" and then paste the text section which is the actual file name ([SMC]...) afterward. Do not actually click on the links because you will get an error, one has to construct the link.

Season 3 (S) has its own thread if anyone wants to discuss that http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=70824

Season 4 (SuperS) does not seem to have a thread (none is listed on the tracker anyway) so I'd suggest that much like we have this thread here to discuss season 1+2 that the above thread be used to discuss both 3 and 4 rather than create a separate one for 4.

Season 5 (Stars) is completed and it has its own thread here http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=4175 where more specific lists to the groups who have done it (one has 2 options rather than 1 in this case) if people need it. I don't see it as as big of a priority since a lot of people will probably be waiting until 3/4 before they move on to 5.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 00:16   Link #55
lightsenshi
Author

I enjoy this series, even after fifteen years. I still have some fiction that I've written lying around my hard drive.
Old 2010-12-23, 00:28   Link #56
Amutox89
~ the odd one ~

This series brings back so many memories... great times.
Old 2011-02-22, 14:37   Link #57
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

NOTICE
This review includes all seasons of the franchise. Reading this is like reading all the seasons.

ART SECTION: 6/10 [Bishoujos in Sailor Suits.]

The first thing to notice is how every season of Sailor Moon has a different prevailing color.
-The first season’s main color was black, depicted in several night scenes were the girls in the story are looking for romance and a way to answer the question for their reincarnation. The villains also adored the darkness and were living in a dark underground base.
-The second season’s main color was white, depicted in several scenes of Crystal Tokyo’s buildings and in the prevailing sparkling jewels and crystals found in the series. Every major building, spaceship and artifact was a sparkling crystal in this season.
-The third season’s main color was red, depicted in several scenes of Tokyo’s future destruction and in the villains’ experiments. Everything evilly created in this season is blood red.
-The fourth season’s main colors were yellow and pink, depicted in several scenes of Dreamland and the Dead Circus motifs.
-The fifth season’s main colors are yellow and light blue/azure, depicted in several scenes of crystals and visual effects.

The animation is old for today’s standards but still does the trick. There is nothing particularly bad with the graphics. The visual effects were bright and cheery, as they should be in a girly series.

A bad point is the repeating sequences of the transformations and the special attacks. Every episode recycles them to the point of becoming very annoying. We’re talking about 1/3rd of every episode being wasted on them. But all this posing and special attack fuss has become the trademark of the series. And it may brainwash you into actually liking them AND crave for them.

Another bad point is the lame-looking monsters-of-the-week. They are plain stupid to look at, fight really simple and get defeated really fast and always in the same way. But at least the animators learned from their mistakes and improved them in the following seasons. They look better and better with each season, plus have more interesting weaponry.

Another notice must be made about the Sailor uniforms in the final season. They are extravagant to the point of being considered a sexual fetish! All the new good and bad Sailor Warriors are dressed in so much leather and show enough cleavage to be mistaken for night queens, or something. And Sailor Moon’s new uniform is huge! How does she move in it?

SOUND SECTION: 7/10 [The characters speak with a real kick in whatever they’re saying.]

There is a lot of “chan” and “san” going around in honorifics but that is part of the normal package.

The bad guys are talking too snobbish (Hohoho! Your pathetic powers are nothing before my beautiful face!) and the good guys too manihaistic (If you are a bad person, I will punish you in the name of the moon!) but you get to like it after a while.

A major twist is the ironic remarks everyone makes. There is a lot of self-mockery in their one-liners, so all those repeating phrases and transformations never become old as you expect a comeback phrase to laugh at.

Also, a notice is to be given for the main song (Moonlight Densetsu), which is amongst the best girly music I know of. There is a new intro song in the fifth season, which is as nice as the old one. If you add the rest of the songs in the lot, then you think you are watching a cheesy Broadway musical. It’s an overall nice work.

STORY SECTION: 7/10 [Once upon a time, there was a princess on the moon...]

Every season can easily be divided into story arks of 10 to 20 episodes. On each story ark, in the beginning you get a new goal and new characters entering the stage. Stand-alone episodes with a monster-of-the-week formula fill the in-between. And towards the end, the goal is usually accomplished and the basic villain changes. All following story arks follow the same pattern. It is a great way of dragging the story as far as the producers like. There are some serious episodes, followed by a loose plot that steadily escalates to major events. How can you hate it?

Season 1
Spoiler:

Season 2
Spoiler:

Season 3
Spoiler:

Season 4
Spoiler:

Season 5
Spoiler:

Heck, I wish for most shounen to have had half the plot elements this mahou shojo had. Most in-between episodes damage the Story feeling, but the scenario is otherwise very good, despite the clichés.

CHARACTER SECTION: 7/10 (spoiler alert!) [Although there are no original characters, their quirks and decent coloring makes up for it.]

Season 1
Spoiler:

Season 2
Spoiler:

Season 3
Spoiler:

Season 4
Spoiler:

Season 5
Spoiler:

VALUE SECTION: 10/10 [I find no reason for not considering it amongst the best of what this genre has to offer.]

Sailor Moon is neither the first nor the best Mahou Shojo on the block. But it became famous enough, thanks to:
-its likable characters. Since all of them are stereotypes, every viewer can easily find someone he/she likes and thus root for.
-its really long duration. This is the first of five tv seasons and several movies, easily becoming the longest Mahou Shojo ever made. More than enough time to bind with the characters.
-its evolving story. Although most episodes are stand-alones, there is a story that changes every 10 or so episodes, giving an air of freshness.
-its romance. It is quite stereotypical most of the time but the visual effects and the metaphysical plot make it more interesting than that of a typical slice-of-life romantic scenario.
-its several name allusions. Every Sailor Warrior has the basic element she controls in her surname, villains are always named after a specific category (minerals in the first season, crystals in the second, animals in the fourth, metals in the fifth), and special effects are tied to their user’s personality.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 7/10 [The episodes can be divided into the stand-alones and the story-centered ones.]

The story-centered ones were great. Very predictable most of the time but the dramatic backdrop made me forget that and I was simply absorbed in them.

The stand-alones were repetitive but also good most of the time. Although I prefer on-going stories, the comedy and/or romance in them were more than enough to make them interesting to keep watching. Not many series are capable of accomplishing this.

As a build up, the interest was peaking in the first three seasons as it was slowly becoming darker, and a bit more violent serious, dropped a lot in the fourth for looking like a silly fairy tale, and rose a lot again in the fifth for becoming far kinkier.

VERDICT: 7.5 / 10
Very naïve and repetitive but its heart is pure and intact.

SUGGESTION LIST

Princess Tutu (awesome!) is by far the best Mahou Shoujo series.

These Mahou Shoujo titles are also worth watching: Wedding Peach, Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, Lyrical Nanoha (all of them are good)

The Sailor Moon manga has quite a few differences with the anime. It is a lot darker and mature as a whole.

Lingerie Senshi Papillon Rose is a silly hentai title that parodies Sailor Moon.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 14:00   Link #58
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Poor Sailor Pluto. Her planet is now just an asteroid.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 04:38   Link #59
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well a Drawf Planet at any rate. But then she rates with Ceres as well.
Old 2011-06-01, 09:56   Link #60
Kyubey Mittens
A Side Character

Send a message via AIM to Kyubey Mittens Send a message via MSN to Kyubey Mittens
Question for those who still follow this thread, where would be the best place to to find out what the actual Sailor Moon dvds look like? I like to know so I can avoid bootlegs if possible.
Kyubey Mittens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, magical girl, romance