AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-02-25, 04:25   Link #1
MasterVampire

Any harem main character who isn't a pushover or doesn't take crap?

I don't mind watching a harem anime series.

But what I don't like about harem series is that most of the time the guy who is the main character that's surrounded by all the girls is a complete pushover or takes a lot of shit from them.

For example I was watching the series that's airing at the moment Maken KI Two and there was a recent episode where he gets stuck on a beach or resort or something with a girl and they get themselves into some situations and at the end of the episode they get rescued but one of the girls who saves them is pissed about how close they were together all this time and "demands" an explanation. This even though they are not together because she can't confess and yet some how she thinks he owes her an explanation?

And another harem series at the moment Strike The Blood.
The guy is constantly being followed around by this girl who is his observer because he is a vampire and yet all the girls who interact with him whenever they flirt or randomly kiss him it's always his fault from her point of view and its like he has done something wrong even though they aren't even a couple and he should be free to do what he wants.

This trope just kinda pisses me off.

Are there any main characters who are not like this?

Ideally what I would love to see is a girl get pissed at the main character and instead of him running off to avoid his punishment because some other girl came onto him or something just either take the abuse and throw it back at her or get pissed off himself because she just knocked him through a wall.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 04:28   Link #2
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

You should maybe post this in the suggestion section. I agree entirely that this trope is annoying. I haven't actually found any anime like you describe yet.
Old 2014-02-25, 04:53   Link #3
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, Chrome Shelled Regios isn't a harem per se, but Layfon has chemistry with all the girls, and he isn't a pushover. And Mahouka, too.

Plus, I though that we have agreed about this matter? Badass together with Harem usually lead to Stu.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 05:23   Link #4
Vezon

Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica, the MC is a straight up badass and doesn't take crap by anyone.
Old 2014-02-25, 05:24   Link #5
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, Chrome Shelled Regios isn't a harem per se, but Layfon has chemistry with all the girls, and he isn't a pushover. And Mahouka, too.

Plus, I though that we have agreed about this matter? Badass together with Harem usually lead to Stu.
I guess it only ends up like that if the writer(s) aren't very good. Some examples of good harem MCs: Arata from Trinity 7 and the MC from Tora kiss.

Then there's god. Keima Katsuragi. 'Nuff said.
Old 2014-02-25, 05:58   Link #6
AntonKutovoi

Hm... I'd say Sakura Taisen have such protagonist (Ichiro Ohgami), though anime adaptation hardly can be considered a harem. There's also Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime and, to lesser extent, Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night. But both are not anime examples, since anime butchered them.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 06:23   Link #7
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Hm... I'd say Sakura Taisen have such protagonist (Ichiro Ohgami), though anime adaptation hardly can be considered a harem. There's also Shiki Tohno from Tsukihime and, to lesser extent, Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night. But both are not anime examples, since anime butchered them.
Fate/Stay Night will be readapted by Ufotable, as a sequel of Fate/Zero in mind, this fall.

I second Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica and The World God only Knows.
Old 2014-02-25, 22:53   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Keima Katsuragi from The World God Only Knows. Especially in the manga. Heck, people read the manga for Keima awesomeness and not the girls.

Others? Tenchi from Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe. Ranma from Ranma 1/2 (gets a lot of crap but doesn't take it quietly).

Perhaps Martian Successor Nadisco? Although no pushover he does take a lot of crap... mainly because he feels the best way to handle it is to ignore them all. Same for Hayate from Hayate the Combat Butler.

Maybe Layfon from Chrome Shelled Regios if you have a generous definition of harem anime. Clannad, again for a generous definition of harem anime. A Certain Magical Index? If going with the loose definition.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 23:00   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If reverse harems count, I suggest Shurrei from Saiunkoku Monogatari.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 23:05   Link #10
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
A Certain Magical Index? If going with the loose definition.
If you suggest Index, I am going to counter-suggest the light novel over the anime just because the narration style of Index does help the series a lot in terms of character development and such. However, Touma does tend to fall into those situations early on (and actively tries to avoid them later on by attempting to prevent any misunderstandings from even happening) so he might not be what the OP is looking for.
Old 2014-02-25, 23:17   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
If you suggest Index, I am going to counter-suggest the light novel over the anime just because the narration style of Index does help the series a lot in terms of character development and such. However, Touma does tend to fall into those situations early on (and actively tries to avoid them later on by attempting to prevent any misunderstandings from even happening) so he might not be what the OP is looking for.
In my opinion trying to read the light novel is torture. The story is great, the setting is incredible, and the characters cool, but the prose is awful. The anime execution isn't that great either, but not nearly as painful as the prose.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-25, 23:43   Link #12
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
In my opinion trying to read the light novel is torture. The story is great, the setting is incredible, and the characters cool, but the prose is awful. The anime execution isn't that great either, but not nearly as painful as the prose.
Whether the style of prose appeals to someone is purely down to the reader. You obviously disliked it. I got used to it over time and came to love it (Although I will say that the prose is very rough in the first volumes as I am re-reading them at the moment). We're two different people, after all. So, our preferences will obviously have differences...but we're getting off topic here.
Old 2014-02-26, 00:11   Link #13
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

I agree with the world god only knows. I don't knowif its considered a harem or not but nagi no asukara's main protagonist don't take crap from anybody.

if you're into vn then you'll love the male lead in grisaia no kajitsu
http://vndb.org/c567
Old 2014-02-26, 09:08   Link #14
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

In A certain magical Index, escpacially in the beginning, Touma, the MC, does get "harassed" by the girls though at least this is actually explained in-universe and has a reason compared to many other shows where it just... happens...

But there are other cases as well...

To give you a little hint on how Touma handles SOME of the girls in A certain magical Index (from a special of the movie):

WARNING! Some spoilers from Index movie are included!

Spoiler for Toaru Majutsu no Index-tan: Endymion no Kiseki:
Old 2014-02-26, 09:29   Link #15
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

To Love-ru's Yuuki. He doesn't give a crap, just skates riiiiiight into the girls' crotches/ grabs them boobs.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 10:00   Link #16
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Not really the place for it, but I do find it weird for me to dislike Index novel, while I'm a fan of HEAVY OBJECT.

Also, have anyone see that with only two or three girls, there would be a bigger chance for the protagonist to be a man?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-26, 10:18   Link #17
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Not really the place for it, but I do find it weird for me to dislike Index novel, while I'm a fan of HEAVY OBJECT.
I wouldn't say I dislike the Index novels but , oddly enough I share those same sentiments. I wouldn't say it's weird though, it all comes down to taste after all.
Old 2014-02-26, 12:00   Link #18
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
To Love-ru's Yuuki. He doesn't give a crap, just skates riiiiiight into the girls' crotches/ grabs them boobs.
This must be a bad joke... you did not just recommend To Love-Ru, right? I must be halucinating... this is absolutely the worst possible recommendation you can give... though I admit that I never watched the anime and only saw the manga instead, after many many chapters, my hopes about Rito maning up a bit withered into nothingness... his once in a while "well intentioned actions that fail" are not nearly enough to redeem how he gets his ass kicked by most of the girls and following their every whim, as if he was their slave. Not even mentioning his "tripping" talent...

For me personally Rito is the worst main character in anime and manga history... I even disliked Shinji from Evangelion less...
Old 2014-02-26, 12:11   Link #19
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

There is err, what's his name from Sora no Otoshimono. I like him quite a bit but I forget his name. He's pervy but has a good heart and he teases his harem a bit too. Then there's the other guy from Campione. Though..I'm not sure if his harem does anything bad or particularly annoying to him. Same predicament for Ise from High School DXD. There's also Koyomi Araragi from the -Monogatari series. He's an excellent harem MC. Plus there's a loli vampire so that almost automatically makes it a good show. Not enough of those running around, must say.

(I'm not really all that good with names..neither have I been following those two series for a while)
Old 2014-05-17, 23:20   Link #20
SineMora
Wait for it...

Candidate number 1:
Spoiler for Large:

Kujou Hisui from Silver Cross and Draculea

1.) Doesn't give a sh!t about Vampires, Werewolves, Ghosts, Dhamphirs, and Witches. (who become members of his harem)
2.) He is submissive, but he has his limits, and when you hit the limit. Good luck to you. (He is not affected by vampiric curses, and the worst thing he can do to you is decapitate you with a freaking giant cross. Oh, he can punch vampires across the room, that is if he is merciful)

Candidate No. 2
Spoiler for Large:

NANJO. SHINOBU!!! (Yeah, this MC deserves ALL THE HAAAAAM IN THIS WORLD *with explosions and sh!t*!!!) from Tsuki Tsuki!

How often do you see an MC troll his entire harem for his own lulz? This is your guy! Chapter 1 and he's trolling two of his members already. A troll that is only beaten by his own mother (and a Demon Maid). HECK THIS GUY EVEN TROLLS GOD. (His harem involves a god, two high ranking demons, a demon maid, an exorcist, and the imouto, all of them, except for the maid, has become his victims (specially the red haired demon! let's have a drinking game on how many times he did it, and what scale, if the scale of trolling is bigger, use a bigger container)). Oh, he also punches high ranking demons.

Candidate No. 3
Spoiler for Large:

Kasuga Arata from Trinity Seven

Troll Candidate #2 not enough for you? THEN LETS ADD MORE BADASSERY! Meet Arata. The Magic King (or for the fanbase: Harem King) He's the harem M.C. whose reaction to sleeping with his two harem members naked will be "Not Bad." and when the jealous one comes barging to his room his response was: "Come here in the bed". The Badass here can't be mentioned... just read the manga yourself...

Last edited by SineMora; 2014-05-17 at 23:46.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote