AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-16, 07:00   Link #461
Ryuken
Claymore #01

Well I like your newsflash @chiba. And your predictions about Raki is so understandable. I myself would like to think that Clare and Raki should have met this time around, but it alas, it was not to be. The obvious reason would be to thicken the plot. This means that Clare is going to meet Raki, but like you said, in what condition, I don't know at all.
Old 2009-12-16, 09:03   Link #462
Vantek
Asleep Being

Quote:
Whether he himself becomes the monster destroyer the organization desires
Well, Shiek and I were just saying that this is not going to happen.
Old 2009-12-16, 12:59   Link #463
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Roflmao, no one is denying that Raki has been infected Chiba . However, whatever happens to him doesn't necessarily mean he will become what the Organization wants him to be.

For example, he might escape the convoy he's a part of right now.
Old 2009-12-17, 00:04   Link #464
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I think we need to talk about how stories work Shiek. If there is a time bomb very few authors have the bomb difuse itself (unless it is a joke). The reason the time bomb is there in the first place is to add tension! Raki's plot is thickening as Ryuken said. A release of tension would happen when Raki meets Clare and they live happily ever after.

Sure Raki could escape. But then why would Yagi go to all the effort of making Raki the only controlled element the organization has linking them to the destroyer to have him get away and disarm the tension? Naturally the only reason is because it is important to the plot. I think even making Raki into a monster increases the tension (though how it will happen I do not know). The series is a look into the question, "what is the difference between a human and a monster"? We see humans who are monsters and monsters who are humans

I think the same holds true for Clare. Why go to all the effort of showing her back story about Teresa if it is unimportant? Clare is also a ticking time bomb of tension. We have seen her go berserk several times, and Helen and Deneve confirmed this is still an issue. Priscilla is also a ticking time bomb. Raki warned, "she is at her limits" and would soon probably eat him. And Priscilla may have mentally lost Raki the moment he was hit.
Old 2009-12-17, 00:48   Link #465
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
I think we need to talk about how stories work Shiek. If there is a time bomb very few authors have the bomb difuse itself (unless it is a joke). The reason the time bomb is there in the first place is to add tension! Raki's plot is thickening as Ryuken said. A release of tension would happen when Raki meets Clare and they live happily ever after.

Sure Raki could escape. But then why would Yagi go to all the effort of making Raki the only controlled element the organization has linking them to the destroyer to have him get away and disarm the tension? Naturally the only reason is because it is important to the plot. I think even making Raki into a monster increases the tension (though how it will happen I do not know). The series is a look into the question, "what is the difference between a human and a monster"? We see humans who are monsters and monsters who are humans

I think the same holds true for Clare. Why go to all the effort of showing her back story about Teresa if it is unimportant? Clare is also a ticking time bomb of tension. We have seen her go berserk several times, and Helen and Deneve confirmed this is still an issue. Priscilla is also a ticking time bomb. Raki warned, "she is at her limits" and would soon probably eat him. And Priscilla may have mentally lost Raki the moment he was hit.
I think we've learned from Alicia's death that we can't predict what Yagi is going to do, based merely on what we know about storytelling.

He's unpredictable; every single one of us was sure Alicia was going to join Riful and that it was being set up. Before 98, no one would have said that both Alicia and Beth would die by Priscilla, probably because it would feel wasteful.

It was the same with Isley...it's the same with many characters actually. Every-time it feels like Yagi is setting up for something, he throws a curveball to knock the readers. We all try to get an impression on him and his style, alongside what we know from the story, to better our chances of a successful prediction of the next chapter. Most of the time however, to our delight, what happens is usually something none of us expect. Yagi always leaves a small to big deal certain moments alone, so we can piece and figure out what happened on our own and make our own theories(for example, everything that exactly happened with Raki and Priscilla in the town, or the battle that cost Cynthia her innards), keeping up the excitement and predictions going until we eventually get the hands-on truth, and even then, it probably won't be much. Rarely do we get a 100% easy-to-understand explanation on a topic; their is always enough for us to be empty-handed and think of our own stuff, and even then, the answer always knocks us off our feet.

Point being Chiba; expect the unexpected, and never be too sure of your predictions, especially when you think they are building toward a certain sure-fire path because of things like conventions. We all have our own predictions, partly based on what we think is going to happen, and partly on what we want to happen. I don't want Raki to end up a puppet of the Organization, but at the same time, I also know he is too mentally strong to be controlled anyway; so even if they did do stuff to him, he wouldn't end up like Alicia and her sister.

Will he make to the Org? Will he break out because something happens on the journey? I don't know, but I'm always ready for a surprise.
Old 2009-12-17, 01:00   Link #466
Cyclone
Transient Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
I think we've learned from Alicia's death that we can't predict what Yagi is going to do, based merely on what we know about storytelling.

He's unpredictable; every single one of us was sure Alicia was going to join Riful and that it was being set up. Before 98, no one would have said that both Alicia and Beth would die by Priscilla, probably because it would feel wasteful.

It was the same with Isley...it's the same with many characters actually. Every-time it feels like Yagi is setting up for something, he throws a curveball to knock the readers. We all try to get an impression on him and his style, alongside what we know from the story, to better our chances of a successful prediction of the next chapter. Most of the time however, to our delight, what happens is usually something none of us expect. Yagi always leaves a small to big deal certain moments alone, so we can piece and figure out what happened on our own and make our own theories(for example, everything that exactly happened with Raki and Priscilla in the town, or the battle that cost Cynthia her innards), keeping up the excitement and predictions going until we eventually get the hands-on truth, and even then, it probably won't be much. Rarely do we get a 100% easy-to-understand explanation on a topic; their is always enough for us to be empty-handed and think of our own stuff, and even then, the answer always knocks us off our feet.

Point being Chiba; expect the unexpected, and never be too sure of your predictions, especially when you think they are building toward a certain sure-fire path because of things like conventions. We all have our own predictions, partly based on what we think is going to happen, and partly on what we want to happen. I don't want Raki to end up a puppet of the Organization, but at the same time, I also know he is too mentally strong to be controlled anyway; so even if they did do stuff to him, he wouldn't end up like Alicia and her sister.

Will he make to the Org? Will he break out because something happens on the journey? I don't know, but I'm always ready for a surprise.
Actually, some of us predicted Priscilla would join the fray when we found Raki injured (chapter 96) and Priscilla and the villagers were all MIA. That Priscilla has gone off to fight Raciella was entirely predicited. Having her squash a few bugs along the way to show she hasn't weakened makes perfect sense from a story telling perspective too.
Old 2009-12-17, 01:09   Link #467
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Actually, some of us predicted Priscilla would join the fray when we found Raki injured (chapter 96) and Priscilla and the villagers were all MIA. That Priscilla has gone off to fight Raciella was entirely predicited. Having her squash a few bugs along the way to show she hasn't weakened makes perfect sense from a story telling perspective too.
Meh, it was one of those moments where I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but knew it would. As for going after Raciella, it was around, though I can't say everyone had the same idea. I for one don't believe what some people say about her going after Racilela, because she wants revenge or anything like that.

Squashing bugs though was nice to see, agreed; as well as being nice just to see her fight again, it also lets us evaluate her current strength, which hasn't budged.

However, my point being on that matter, is that we still haven't seen that battle. We can get a more accurate picture on what happened as time goes on, but we won't know for 100% certain what happened until we see it.

That's the thing with Yagi; he likes to reveal the beginning and ending of something, and leave the middle-part(otherwise known as "How?") for us to try to figure out.
Old 2009-12-17, 05:05   Link #468
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Sheik, those two posts seem to contradict each other quite a bit. And even seeing something in the series isn't enough to convince people. There are members who argue that 10% Teresa did not overpower 80% Priscilla even though that is exactly what she did and we saw it.

And I agree Yagi is unpredictable to an enjoyable degree. There are things I know have to happen, and they do, but they never happen exactly the way I think they will which is why I like claymore so much. But the big plot points are pretty much guaranteed. Clare meeting Galatea, Clare meeting Raphaela (to learn about the soul link), and Clare eventually meeting Priscilla and Raki all had to/have to happen. Clarice HAS to play a major part in the future of claymore because Yagi invested so much time into her and Miata will have to show us why she is more powerful than Alicia. Does that mean Clarice will survive? Nope. But she can't die until she accomplishes some major and decisive plot point probably concerning Miata. Her death could even be the major plot point she has to accomplish. Raki getting hit by a destroyer bolt is important to the plot. I am guessing Yagi will use it to complicate his character somewhat. But I don't see the situation diffusing itself. Also I think Isley's demise still has significant meaning waiting to be unraveled. Yagi kills characters, but he does not forget about them. After all, this is a world where someone can die and still be a force of physical power like Teresa or Luciella.

Some people speculated Raki would run away from Isley and Priscilla during the time skip but that would have DIFFUSED THE TENSION Yagi created. No way! Did I expect Priscilla to become a vegetarian? no, but I did expect Yagi to round out her character with positive attributes to complicate her character. Yagi has patterns, and if you watch for them you can know what is coming. He foreshadows like crazy. The surprise comes in HOW yagi meets his plot points which usually catches me off guard or as you called it, the middle part.
Old 2009-12-17, 07:37   Link #469
Vantek
Asleep Being

Quote:
Some people speculated Raki would run away from Isley and Priscilla during the time skip but that would have DIFFUSED THE TENSION Yagi created. No way! Did I expect Priscilla to become a vegetarian? no
Isn't it hard to imagine Raki staying with Priscilla if she kept eating innocent people?
Old 2009-12-17, 13:25   Link #470
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Sure That is why Yagi developed the situation. Putting Raki with Clare's mortal enemy is not a situation that can just defuse without a plot explosion, like Raki being hit with a parasitic monster. It is also hard to imagine that Priscilla didn't just eat Raki considering she ate entire towns when she got hungry. But that also would have simplified the situation and diffused it making Priscilla into an absolute villain. And this monster thing will NOT kill raki. It may change him and develop his character in a complicated way. But Clare has to meet him, in whatever form he may take. She may even have to confront him.

Isley left Raki and Priscilla but it developed his character. Isley liked being with them. Originally Priscilla was a tool for him to dominate the island but they became a hodge podge family. Claymore has massive amounts of character development. It is one of the few series where nearly EVERY character develops which is something I love.
Old 2009-12-17, 13:45   Link #471
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

A little confused Chiba, because it sounds like we basically agree with eachother. Not sure where the contradicting part is.

I think it's because I said we must always prepare for the unexpected, while you said it's natural that some things link to others; like assuming Clarice has a big future ahead of her because we've seen so much of her. I agree that it would be weird for Clarice and Miata to not have any future written for them when we've seen so much of them, I was merely saying that if nothing, say, actually DOES come out of them, can't be too surprised either.

Yagi is unpredictable, that's all I'm saying .
Old 2009-12-17, 15:04   Link #472
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

I think the difference comes in WHERE we believe Yagi is putting his surprises. So far Yagi's foreshadowing and plot points have been dead on for what will happen generally. As for what will happen specifically he is a trixter.

So I say Clarice will definitely play a very important part of the plot but WHAT that role is I am unsure at the moment. That is where I start looking for more patterns about her parallels to Clare, other characters etc.
Old 2009-12-17, 15:31   Link #473
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
this isn't quite the thread for this.... but....

I'm really puzzled by Clarice...

On the one hand, she seems like she truly is a true rank 47.... a near FAILED Claymore, an Elena.

On the other hand, she seems to have a hidden power that just briefly shows up and she is remarkably extremely intelligent or insightful or inquizative-deducing mind... Frankly she's almost like Rubel's little daughter or something. I mean she's really smart or insightful... Clarice kinda scares me...

so i'm really confused as to what i think Clarice is. Is she really a failure of a claymore, or is there something special about her hidden inside, and she's more like Clare then she is like Elena..
I'm confused Hedge, what's stunning about her? She hasn't really done anything to surprise me, not like how you're putting it.
Old 2009-12-18, 20:50   Link #474
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

i had a dispute with ryus about what theresa said when she first saw priscilla after jumping from the house with clare:

"There was another one, but i didn't sense her aura at all. What is she?" source OM 19 31

What exactly does that mean. Does that mean that she couldn't sense her aura when she jumped but could sense her now as she is face to face with her?
I am especially interested in the raw translation of that.

IMO she couldn't sense her at all.
Old 2009-12-19, 12:49   Link #475
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

This was not rafaella, this was priscilla, the best known yoki suppressor on earth, her suppression ability had, as i heard, an own Japanese sign(kanji?) in the databook, so it seemed to be special and she could suppress her yoki even as an ab which indicates IMO that she is far superior than anyone else in that technique and that even theresa probably couldn't sense her even if she stood right before her.
But i am not sure and i am really interested in the opinion of someone who could understand the raw. My question is, what meant this "past tense" thing. Does it mean that theresa couldn't sense priscilla at first but now standing directly before her she can? I want this out of the way because i hate it when people always try to diminish theresa's power with her yoki sensing ability in the fight against priscilla.
Old 2009-12-19, 16:09   Link #476
SagaraSouske

Teresa's thoughts when she first saw Pris after jumping down with Clare:

"(I can't believe it) There is actually one more? How did I not detect her presence at all? Who(what) is she?"

The keyword being "Keihai" (presence, aura) is used here. It is possible it is referring to youki but also possible it just means presence in general.
Old 2009-12-19, 16:30   Link #477
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

So we can still argue that she perhaps can detect her presence(yoki) now during she is looking priscilla in the eyes?
Old 2009-12-19, 22:52   Link #478
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I don't think it shows that Priss hasn't weakened, but that it was emphasizing how bad-ass she is even in her weakened state.
Old 2009-12-20, 04:35   Link #479
chibamonster
'S' Class Fairy Tail

Taking on two abyssal level ab's without transforming is Priscilla weak? Especially after Alicia proved deadly so deadly to Riful? Did Riful even land an attack on Alicia?
Old 2009-12-20, 12:40   Link #480
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibamonster View Post
Taking on two abyssal level ab's without transforming is Priscilla weak? Especially after Alicia proved deadly so deadly to Riful? Did Riful even land an attack on Alicia?
He's referring to how Priscilla has been starving herself, which we all believed then has weakened her strength.

Now that you mention it though, no, she never landed on hit on her .
Closed Thread