Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-06-30, 15:19   Link #4961
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Maybe someone can answer this for me:

You see my parents bought Windows 7 64bit when they bought their new pc, I was wondering can you reuse the cd etc. to install it on another computer as well (aka mine) or is it all computer bound with the serials etc.
An OEM product key is tied to the machine it came with. The disc itself would depend on any changes that the OEM made to it. Check the MD5. If it matches with a regular Windows 7 disc, then you could probably use it to install Windows 7 on another computer. But you still need to activate with a different key than the one that comes with your parents' computer.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 04:49   Link #4962
HasuMasu
*Artist

what would it be like to be able to see 360 degrees?
Old 2011-07-02, 05:07   Link #4963
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Box View Post
what would it be like to be able to see 360 degrees?
you'd a get 3rd person view from above like in certain video games? [since you just said 360% not all directions[up/downwards in 360 areas ]
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-02, 05:38   Link #4964
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
you'd a get 3rd person view from above like in certain video games? [since you just said 360% not all directions[up/downwards in 360 areas ]
i meant like, if you took a sphere, and you saw the world through that sphere

like, in all directions from one point at the same time?

csjkdjkinvvkjfvbeaduckefv i'm confused
Old 2011-07-02, 07:13   Link #4965
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You’d get dizzy since your human brain isn’t made for that. At best you would just have a larger vision radius. You may think we have 180 focus radius but our focus point is really only the size of small coin; having a 360 view radius wouldn’t really change the fact.
Old 2011-07-02, 07:24   Link #4966
jamieS

If you had a 360 view radius, you would still be able to notice movement and see colours, you just wouldn't be able to focus on everything.
It might be easier to imagine a 360 view radius if you close your eyes
Old 2011-07-02, 19:15   Link #4967
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I recall several old dinosaur televison series on the Discovery Channel; but cannot remember which featured a devoted segment about one species of raptor in a desert-like environment. Does somone remember which show this was?
Old 2011-07-03, 04:40   Link #4968
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
An OEM product key is tied to the machine it came with. The disc itself would depend on any changes that the OEM made to it. Check the MD5. If it matches with a regular Windows 7 disc, then you could probably use it to install Windows 7 on another computer. But you still need to activate with a different key than the one that comes with your parents' computer.
Kind of stupid but what is the MD5
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 07:39   Link #4969
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

"Message Digest 5" is an algorithm designed to create a unique "hash" signature from another content source. An MD5 hash consists of 32 hexadecimal characters digits (0-9,A-F), meaning there are 16^32, or 2^128, different potential hashes. My calculator says that's about 3.4 X 10^38, a very large number indeed.

Your current signature image generates the hash b80e2ef28f3b8288a892c4736913ac10.

MD5 hashes are often used to determine if a downloaded file is intact by comparing the value calculated from the download with the value published by the source.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-07-03 at 12:29. Reason: Replaced "characters" with "digits" per felix's criticism
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 10:10   Link #4970
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

MD5 is hash algorithm (or hash function).

In laymen’s terms a hash algorithm takes anything that can be reprezented in bytes and turns it into a fixed length number; regardless of how big or small the source content is. Hashes are typically defined by two properties: if you put in the same thing in you will always get the same hash, and if you change even 1 bit in the input you’ll get a completly different hash that’s worlds apart from what you got before. For cryptographic hashes you also have the property of irreversablity (you can’t in reasonable time reverse the hash).

MD5 is an obsolete cryptographic hash function.

A hash is not reprezented by hexidecimal characters, a hash is a number (a “digest”). It just so happens that when visiualized a hash is (typically) reprezented as a hexidecimal number to save space (and because people like base16). Which is to say if you wish to save a hash typically you wouldn’t want to save it as a character string, since it needlessly takes more space.

Hash functions are used in a variaty of places:
  • integrity checks (CRC), some might refer to them as “error detecting code” — MD5 is also used here, but I think people only use md5 because it’s popular, since as far as I know it’s not designed for error detection but as a cryptographic hash function.

• securing your passwords in the database (SHA256 and above, or the hash viriant of bycrypt; these days MD5 is completly insecure), typically in a 3 way process. Say you login, aside from your password there are typically two keys used, one is a key for your password (a salt) generated when you register, and another is a key hardcoded into the system. Your password goes though a keyed hash function using the hardcoded key then again using the salt, after which it is compared to a stored result in the database (which was obtained using the same process when you registered). This way there’s no need to store your actual password.

If you see a site that gives you maximum length for your password, enter a password you don’t care aboute, since they are not securing your passwords (hashed passwords don’t have no length limit).

• Message chains. Take something random and hash it, then hash it again and again. Give someone the last hash, then in your next message you can give him the second to last hash; he can verify the message is from you by hashing the current hash and comparing the result with the last hash (nobody can reverse the hash so nobody can impersonate the sender).

• Various signature algorythms. For example cookies on websites are typically signed these days so you can’t just have random scripts messing with them.

• cashing strategies on various levels

• etc (if you see some random blob of text, it’s probably a hash)
Old 2011-07-04, 15:10   Link #4971
oompa loompa

for any of you statistics whizzes out there:

so, I have some values assigned to every day for a few years. I'm trying to show, that one week is a good representation of a month of data. Whats the best way to go about this?

Can I, say, calculate 21 days of a month based on a weekly rolling average ( day 7 starts from the average of days 1-7, day 8 is based on 2-8, etc.), see what % passes a 95% confidence interval?

Or, how about using the margin of error to get an idea of what the minimum representative sample size needed ( I need some help with this one, I'm getting the margin of error from 1.96*Std.dev/sqrt(7) (week sample size), but how di I find the minimum sample size required?

If you can answer the above question PHUNTASTIC.. otherwise any good ideas?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 23:21   Link #4972
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Is Shogi similar to chess and Chinese chess? I means similar format of set up formation and occupy a square by defeat the piece on it?

I knows that chess is more like an open battle where you can exploit the enemy formation and destroy them from inside. While Chinese chess is like an open campaign where your goal is to infiltrate through the enemy border, take out enemy army, and march into their capital.

How is about shogi? How does it feel like?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2011-07-04 at 23:38.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 02:39   Link #4973
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I can't answer your question directly, but you might find these postings from the Shion no Ou thread of interest:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=268
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=465
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=468
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...02#post1591902

I've tried to extract just the postings that address your question to avoid spoilage (see below).

If you're interested in Shougi and haven't ever watched this show, you'd should give it a try. Just a warning, though, not to read the discussion thread in advance of the episodes because of the murder mystery component.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-05, 10:33   Link #4974
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I can't answer your question directly, but you might find these postings from the Shion no Ou thread of interest:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=268
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=465
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=468
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...02#post1591902

I've tried to extract just the postings that address your question to avoid spoilage (see below).

If you're interested in Shougi and haven't ever watched this show, you'd should give it a try. Just a warning, though, not to read the discussion thread in advance of the episodes because of the murder mystery component.
Can't add reputation, but thank there mate...

I ... have just spent 2 hours watching Shogi lesson from HIDETCHI and got the basic hold of it.... Totally lost in time watching them, so it's like 'whoop... did i just watch 12 videos of 10 mins each'

Can't read the name of the pieces through, have to guess through how it move
Old 2011-07-10, 00:44   Link #4975
Kudryavka

Is there anything at least $0.02 on YesAsia? I want to buy a game that costs $38.99, but it has to be over $39 to get free shipping. Cheapest thing I found so far are a bunch of no-name $1.99 novels, is there anything cheaper? Or will YesAsia let my original order slide and give me the free shipping anyway?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 18:37   Link #4976
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Figure here is as good of place of any, but I was wondering if anyone knows when (Korean) Best Moe 2011 starts?
Since I know it generally starts a little bit after (japan) saimoe starts.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 03:18   Link #4977
Kudryavka

To the veteran Nintendo gamers: what did you guys see in those games back in the Nintendo Hard days? I'm playing the very first Zelda, and it's frickin crazy.
Spoiler for zelda 1 item location spoilers:
But despite how hard it is, I can't wait to play it again.
So to the question: what was it that made you undertake, continue, and finish the challenge? Was it fun? Is it true all you had was Nintendo Power and took notes to keep track??
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 08:26   Link #4978
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
To the veteran Nintendo gamers: what did you guys see in those games back in the Nintendo Hard days? I'm playing the very first Zelda, and it's frickin crazy.?
For me, it was mostly because that was all there was. It didn't really register with me how hard that stuff really was because there was nothing to compare it to. It definitely did leave me with a taste for difficult games though as 20+ years later I find a lot of modern games too easy. All those games are still just as hard as they were back then though, and I'm honestly amazed at what I was able to beat when I was a little kid. I still can't beat Contra or Battletoads even now.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 09:01   Link #4979
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Modern games are almost too easy…
Old 2011-07-12, 09:05   Link #4980
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Try playing the original Zork.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious