AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-20, 22:45   Link #21
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Ghost Hunt is good, Shiki and Chrno Crusade aren't exactly my cup of tea, Ayashi no Ceres, Fushigi Yugi, Shigofumi, Zombie-Loan, and Natsume Yuujinchou (which I loved) are 'have-seen's , got bored with Moryou no Hako, and Juuni Kokuki seems worth checking out. But really, I am actively looking for Heian/Edo-era and/or supernatural based on traditional Japanese mythos and monsters and generous dabs of Onmyou mixed in.
Old 2011-01-21, 00:40   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclun View Post
I am actively looking for Heian/Edo-era and/or supernatural based on traditional Japanese mythos and monsters and generous dabs of Onmyou mixed in.
Then what you want is Bakeneko and its successor Mononoke. A mysterious medicine seller travels around Japan during the Edo period slaying demons.

I can understand getting bored with Mouryou no Hako, but I did find the material about Onmyōdō pretty interesting.

There are a number of anime references to Onmyōdō in this list from Wikipedia. Abe no Seimei appears quite often.
Old 2011-01-21, 02:03   Link #23
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Ah, Kusuriuri-san? I've thought about revisiting him. XD But in that Wiki list, Onmyou Taisenki looked interesting. ^^ Thanks.
Old 2011-01-21, 04:31   Link #24
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
You already have a lot of good recommendations but I'm going to give you some..

Shounen Onmyouji: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shounen-onmyouji

Kekkaishi: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kekkaishi

Here are some others you might want to check out..

Rental Magica: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/rental-magica

Kaze no Stigma: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaze-no-stigma

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-01-21, 08:21   Link #25
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
You already have a lot of good recommendations but I'm going to give you some..

Shounen Onmyouji: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shounen-onmyouji

Kekkaishi: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kekkaishi

Here are some others you might want to check out..

Rental Magica: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/rental-magica

Kaze no Stigma: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/kaze-no-stigma
Those all look good! :D But.... -points to original post that mentions Shounen Onmyouji-. XD Thanks, I'll be sure to try the other three out. :D
Old 2011-01-21, 11:53   Link #26
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclun View Post
Death Note is...honestly, not one of my favorites. It went completely downhill after
Spoiler for Death Note:
. >_<
Oh I completly support you there, after that incident it took me several months to finally finish the series
Old 2011-01-21, 17:28   Link #27
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Update: I tried Mokke, and managed to finish it, but it was much too sweet and fluffly and lighthearted for my taste. XD I did enjoy the monsters and stuff though. So, any more suggestions to be rolling in? >:]
Old 2011-01-21, 19:25   Link #28
Razziell22

hmmm maybe Saiunkoku Monogatari? ^^

and some others that might pique your interest...maybe XD :
Escaflowne
Aoi Bungaku Series
Old 2011-01-21, 21:00   Link #29
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The show you're looking for (Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet) is called xXxholic (S1 & S2)...Nearly every episode deals with Japanese folklore, myths, and//or supernatural spirits...The main character is a schoolboy who can see supernatural events that normal people can't see...He works for a very eccentric and busty female, as a cook, in a gift shop that sells people spiritual items that can give great luck or leave them in utter peril...It's light-hearted and fun at times, but it gets intense and downright scary at times aswell...It's just one of those shows that leave you sorta mesmerized at the absolute oddity of it all...
Old 2011-01-21, 21:54   Link #30
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
The show you're looking for (Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet) is called xXxholic (S1 & S2)...Nearly every episode deals with Japanese folklore, myths, and//or supernatural spirits...The main character is a schoolboy who can see supernatural events that normal people can't see...He works for a very eccentric and busty female, as a cook, in a gift shop that sells people spiritual items that can give great luck or leave them in utter peril...It's light-hearted and fun at times, but it gets intense and downright scary at times aswell...It's just one of those shows that leave you sorta mesmerized at the absolute oddity of it all...
Ahahahaha!! Yes, why hasn't it been mentioned?? XD I love xxxHolic, even if the anime Yuko's voice kinda annoyed me. Come to think of it, Wata's voice annoyed me too >_<; But, well...I've already seen it, and the movie, and the OVAs >_<;;

@Raz: Saiunkoku is on my list, but quite a ways down, and it doesn't exactly match what I'm looking for. ^^; Not really supernatural and Chinese, not Japanese, so far as I remember. Escaflowne I'm sorry to say, is one of those that I'll probably never watch, and Aoi looks interesting for when I'm off my supernaturally historical Japan phase.
Old 2011-01-22, 00:24   Link #31
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
So what happened to Ghost Hound, did you check and/or watch it ?

Out of all suggestions, and actually all supernatural themed animes .. I still think Ghost Hound is best one.
Old 2011-01-22, 09:19   Link #32
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
So what happened to Ghost Hound, did you check and/or watch it ?

Out of all suggestions, and actually all supernatural themed animes .. I still think Ghost Hound is best one.
Ghost Hound is right after I finish Mushishi. ^^
Old 2011-01-22, 13:50   Link #33
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
lol I'm sure this has already been recommended but I'll give a second..

Shakugan no Shana: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shakugan-no-shana

This next one is a movie but I think you might like it.. maybe..
Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners: http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ka...den-of-sinners

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-01-22, 18:19   Link #34
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Shakugan no Shana...I've read a bit of the manga before, but it either bored me or confused me or something, because I stopped. ^^; I might give it another chance. Kara no Kyokai was already recommended to me, and I've finished it. It was really very good. +_+
Old 2011-01-23, 21:05   Link #35
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Currently trying Ghost Hound, but for some reason, I just can't get into it. :/ The younger versions are so cute, though. XD
Old 2011-01-24, 07:33   Link #36
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well it starts out slow but you definitely should keep watching .. Up to what episode are you currently ? I'd find it odd if you can't get into it at all throughout the series :x
Old 2011-01-24, 10:09   Link #37
Reclun
Lithium Flower

I'm on episode 15, and I'm still only mildly interested. :< It seems like one of those anime that rely too heavily on symbolism and mystery and forget about telling a good story.
Old 2011-01-24, 13:39   Link #38
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Ghost Hound officially confused the hell out of me. =w=;; Too many questions were left unanswered or the answers were only hinted at. Any other animes that are a bit more like my original request? :3
Old 2011-01-24, 14:00   Link #39
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would recommend Senko no Night Raid but the characters simply have psychic powers. No ghosts or supernatural creatures. It's set in Shanghai 1930's. By the way what did you think of Kara no Kyoukai? (I mean besides the fact that you liked it)
Old 2011-01-24, 14:28   Link #40
Reclun
Lithium Flower

Kara no Kyoukai was also confusing, since the movies moved the story along at a non-linear time template. But it was...refreshing in a sense to have such abnormal people as the main characters. Although, I personally think the whole sinister behind-the-scenes plotting of the Magi was kind of abstract. I might have liked it better if it was just purely focused on Shiki and her interactions with other people. -shrug- Wasn't exactly supernatural, but the series made me think, and had interesting characters.
Closed Thread

Tags
supernatural