AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-10, 01:46   Link #1
Write
Banned

Anime has fallen off in recent years

First of all, I believe Sturgeon's Law greatly applies to anime as a category of entertainment. I thought so when I started watching at 10 and I think so now (20 y/o); I just always believed that most anime was garbage and that contrast made me appreciate the good shows so much more.

Now though, nearly every show shamelessly adheres to cliche plot points and archetypes.

Not only that but the poorly written protagonist that plagues nearly every anime is toxic. In good faith I can't recommend anime to anyone under the age of 16 because honestly it'd probably warp there brains. It's that bad.
Old 2013-01-10, 02:04   Link #2
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Someone ten years older than you would probably say the same about the anime you watched at ten verses the anime they watched at ten.

This happens with a lot of things, especially on television. I can find people that think TV today sucks and has sucked for decades. They only like what was on when they were younger (or when they started watching TV). This has given rise to stations like TV Land which shows 1950s and 1960s television, because a large set of people think that stuff on TV after than sucks.

The real thing is that they really only remember the good programming and not the stuff that sucked back then (and there was a lot of suck in every year of television from every country).

Anime is no different. We mentally weed out the crap (or in some cases only get the relatively good stuff imported in the first place), and when we are in the present only see crap (except for maybe this one really good show on this season). But that is the thing. It is normal to have only a few good memorable shows a year with years not having a show that is worth remembering all that much. It happens with all forms of Television.

I don't watch much television anymore. Partly because I've not found anything I want to watch, but also because I spend more time on the internet for entertainment than I did a decade (or decade and a half now) ago. I don't watch a lot of anime, generally only one or two new shows a season. But there are gems I haven't watch. Not because they were bad, but just because they aren't my interests. you can have good TV that you are not interested in. That doesn't make it crap if you aren't interested. It just means you have no interest in it.
Old 2013-01-10, 02:27   Link #3
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write View Post
First of all, I believe Sturgeon's Law greatly applies to anime as a category of entertainment. I thought so when I started watching at 10 and I think so now (20 y/o); I just always believed that most anime was garbage and that contrast made me appreciate the good shows so much more.

Now though, nearly every show shamelessly adheres to cliche plot points and archetypes.

Not only that but the poorly written protagonist that plagues nearly every anime is toxic. In good faith I can't recommend anime to anyone under the age of 16 because honestly it'd probably warp there brains. It's that bad.
You probably should stick to morning/evening-type of anime... some franchises there are very durable.

Rule of thumb: late nite anime = the ghetto block. No holds barred. Expect qualities exhibited there to be no different than viewing the latest lil Wayne or Nikka Minaj's music videos... the kinda stuff that would probably offend your sensibilities
Old 2013-01-10, 02:39   Link #4
NK_500
Disabled By Request

When quantity is preferred over quality....
Old 2013-01-10, 02:42   Link #5
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write View Post

Those are some outstanding generalizations right there, I believe.

Perhaps you'd better choose the shows you watch more wisely then?
Old 2013-01-10, 02:42   Link #6
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...36#post4501936 (another thread with the same substance, whether one says 'today's anime' or 'anime has recently fallen off')
Old 2013-01-10, 02:56   Link #7
Eragon
Still Alive

Maybe we should ask why so many of these threads are coming up recently - or, I may be wrong and these type of threads were always prevalent ?
Old 2013-01-10, 03:40   Link #8
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Because reputation is no longer a hurdle to them.

Quote:
You have doomed yourself the moment you believed in Sturgeon's Law. I'm a 22-year-old, and I still find enjoyable things in anime. Of course, you have to exert some effort to maximize your enjoyment.

Also, Sturgeon's Law is 90% bullshit.

Quote:
What's the problem with that? Cliches may exist, but it shouldn't be a problem, actually.

Quote:
Seriously?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:54   Link #9
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
What's the problem with that? Cliches may exist, but it shouldn't be a problem, actually.
Maybe he's looking for something original? But hey, originality is overrated, and everything has been done before, so...
Old 2013-01-10, 03:56   Link #10
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Quote:
Seriously?
There's plenty of anime that appeals to little kids, it's like the OP didn't believe in that.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-01-10, 03:57   Link #11
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
There's plenty of anime that appeals to little kids, it's like the OP didn't believe in that.
Or he DID believe such anime exist, and that's probably the reason he disliked those.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:01   Link #12
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Expanding horizons is the main problem here. I'm sure that the rise of anime series produced during the 12 years that passed is more than enough for him to get a series that he might enjoy, and there's more to anime to "those that only appeals to little kids".

You just have to look for it.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:03   Link #13
judasmartel
*Author

Oh well. As people grow up, their preferred programs differ.

This thread kinda reminded of that topic whose starter tried to "respectfully" aired her opinion about anime AND epically failed.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:57   Link #14
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

I think I'll just quote a part of relentlessflame's well-written closing reply to the most recent rant thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
I really, honestly do feel sorry for people who feel that modern anime isn't catering to their tastes any more. I really do. It sucks when you really enjoy something and then find that trends shifted and that thing you used to like is no longer in style any more the way you thought it used to be. But, by the same token, that's part of life. Things change, and sometimes in ways that aren't to your liking. And you either have to sift through the rough to find the diamonds that remain (and then cherish them all the more), or you just have to honour the memory of what came before and move on. Maybe modern anime isn't generally for you. And maybe a time will come in the future when it'll change again in a way that you like. But in the end, it isn't just about you (or any one of us on our own).
The last thing we need is yet another rant topic about the perceived drop of quality in recent anime.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:59   Link #15
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
I think I'll just quote a part of relentlessflame's well-written closing reply to the most recent rant thread.
The last thing we need is yet another rant topic about the perceived drop of quality in recent anime.
How about compiling every threads of this kind into one ? It may maximizes angst !
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-01-10, 05:01   Link #16
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
How about compiling every threads of this kind into one ? It may maximizes angst !
Pointless seeing that the previous ones ended up getting locked.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:11   Link #17
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'd say the problem of some anime is excessive fan service... yes, I'm a guy and normally I don't mind excessive boobage or pantyshots. but you have to draw the line somewhere right?

The main characters are all the same problem. Yes, they are cut outs of each other because each one is done yes. But realize that people would want to be able to distinguish him/her from other heroes than the members in their harem.

Over hype. When you overhype a series it becomes a turn off instead of a turn on. Sometimes over hype gives you this utterly bad feeling that a series will disappoint you. Some may not be affected by this phenomenon though.

Uninspired writing. Sometimes, anime begins to feel like a bunch of stereotypes just tossed together. It varies from each person's sensitivity to these cliches. It is partially an issue of originality but when you start to feel like there is nothing to the series but hot destined girl to be girlfriend, hero with overpowered ability and many other stuff, but you leave out the character themselves and how people should connect to them, how the story of the series goes but lack that consistency of the situation. Yeah...
Old 2013-01-10, 05:13   Link #18
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
All I can say...

> too much reused plots.
> reused fan service techniques.
> shorter series.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:18   Link #19
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I think anime has been doing great these past two years.

True I drop most shows anyways, but there's been plenty of shows with engaging premises.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-01-10, 05:23   Link #20
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
> too much reused plots.
Everything has been done before. I'm not sure what you mean.
Closed Thread