AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-25, 03:58   Link #121
Marsala
Delurker

Well, Lindy wasn't going to engage Precia herself IIRC, she just wanted to talk her down. Beating Precia was Chrono's job, if necessary... though even he shouldn't have been close to a match for her.
Old 2010-01-25, 04:08   Link #122
Jimmy C

There's also the fact that Precia was putting most of her efforts into that dimensional spell of hers instead of fighting off her enemies.
Old 2010-01-25, 08:42   Link #123
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gespenst View Post
I wouldn't call her cruel, she doesn't hurt Nanoha out of malice or hatred. She hurt her because they fought, she hurt her out of love. Just like Nanoha really

I'm not quite sure how to put this, but it feels unnatural to hear someone calling Fate cruel.
*shrugs* Depends on your point of view. If I told you I hurt kitties because my mom told me to, would you consider me cruel?

Fate may not be cruel in the diabolical 'I torture and I enjoy it' way, but she definitely has (or had, really) a cruel element that was willing to do anything, regardless of possible casualties, to please her mother. She tried to avoid casualties, true, but if the end result made casualties impossible (like, say, gathering the Jewel Seeds and give it to a mother who'd end up blowing up the earth with them) she'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
You have to keep in mind 2 points:

1) The ranking is based on exams, it's a not a measure of your total potential
2) The rank will not indicate the personn experience, Precia may have more potential but i am pretty sure that Lindy will have more fighting experience (that will also explain why Fate and Nanoha lost against their instructor in the manga).
Rankings are measurements as well, hence the confusion (attack spells are given ranks, for example). For mages though, it's as you said more a global scan estimating potential. Not combat effectiveness.
Old 2010-01-25, 08:54   Link #124
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Rankings are measurements as well, hence the confusion (attack spells are given ranks, for example). For mages though, it's as you said more a global scan estimating potential. Not combat effectiveness.
It's not even needed to be about combat. Sure, mages of high levels need to know basic combat spells, but precia could be incredibly high levels only with her scientific knoweldge of magic and power.
Old 2010-01-25, 09:16   Link #125
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
*shrugs* Depends on your point of view. If I told you I hurt kitties because my mom told me to, would you consider me cruel?

Fate may not be cruel in the diabolical 'I torture and I enjoy it' way, but she definitely has (or had, really) a cruel element that was willing to do anything, regardless of possible casualties, to please her mother. She tried to avoid casualties, true, but if the end result made casualties impossible (like, say, gathering the Jewel Seeds and give it to a mother who'd end up blowing up the earth with them) she'd do it.

For the sake of this threads purity, I'll take it to your profile instead.
Old 2010-01-25, 09:32   Link #126
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
It's not even needed to be about combat. Sure, mages of high levels need to know basic combat spells, but precia could be incredibly high levels only with her scientific knoweldge of magic and power.
Point taken, efficiency then?
Old 2010-01-25, 09:53   Link #127
Arkeus

Quote:
Point taken, efficiency then?
Probably. We do know that there is a big difference between having a big linker core, and being able to draw mana from it quickly, or even recharging it quickly.

There is also efficiency in spellcasting.
Old 2010-01-25, 12:03   Link #128
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Simply, looking at Nanoha and Fate for example, their ranking got higher because they trained hard for that and because they work in divisions where they have to fight often. So I thought : the more you use your magic power > the stronger you get.
Precia, as we see her in S1 and the Movie manga is a scientist who does work desk and research, but doesn't actually use her magic powers (at least not by fighting). So I was wondering how she could have such a high rank. The highest one in the whole serie actually.

But I think RadiantBeam provide with an acceptable explanation. Precia may well have train when she was younger and then went to the scientist career when she married or got pregnant (that she probably thought would be less dangerous ,_,).
Ranks are actually just tests. If you pass the AA test, then you're an AA rank mage. You can get a + attached if you have something special. Nanoha and Fate actually had to take tests to advance their ranks, and it was mentioned that Fate was taking them at the same time as Nanoha, but stopped when Nanoha got badly injured. They were both S+ at that time. Technically, they could both go take the SS rank test now if they wanted; that's what Hayate did.

The whole first episode of StrikerS was about Teana and Subaru taking the B rank test to increase their rank from C to B.

Also sounds like ranks can lapse, like a driver's license, if you don't renew it somehow.

So Nanoha and Fate being mentioned as AAA in the first series, is mostly a guess at how many ranks they think they can pass, based on an estimation of their magical power. It's shown later that they actually had to take several tests to actually get up to AAA, and then S.
Old 2010-01-25, 12:50   Link #129
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

And yet terms like 'S-rank power' get tossed around after a mere glance at a console as well, so it's not merely a test score.
Old 2010-01-25, 13:06   Link #130
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
And yet terms like 'S-rank power' get tossed around after a mere glance at a console as well, so it's not merely a test score.
That's because it's also an estimation. It's like saying "Wow, you're so strong, I bet you could bench press 200 pounds easy." That someone hasn't actually bench-pressed anything, so it's just a rough estimation of what they are capable of. They'd need to actually be measured to know for sure. They would need to take a test to determine their rank to participate in an Olympic event.

So, in one respect, it is an estimation, but those estimations are based off the Rank test system. Fate, unofficially, seems to be roughly be strong as a Rank AAA mage at first glance. Then she takes the tests. She passes Rank C, then B, then A, then AA, and finally AAA. Now she is officially rank AAA.

The ranks are the official ones, but yeah, you need a rough estimate when you encounter something out in the field.
Old 2010-01-25, 13:09   Link #131
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In the case of attacks, estimations are lethal. Also, when Dieci fired her cannon at the heli, a clear cry of "S-rank power shot!" rang through the Long Arch.

If they can't measure the power, that line could never have been thrown around.
Old 2010-01-25, 13:24   Link #132
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
In the case of attacks, estimations are lethal. Also, when Dieci fired her cannon at the heli, a clear cry of "S-rank power shot!" rang through the Long Arch.

If they can't measure the power, that line could never have been thrown around.
Yes, they can do rough measurements. And those are based on the rank tests.

These conversation started primarily because of Precia's rank, so we're not using it in the context of a particular shot. We're using it in the context of "How did Precia get her rank and how does that relate to her power?" I believe it was specifically stated that she was SS+ at her last test, but it's lapsed because it's been so long. So the context is in this case is directly referring to the fact that she is strong enough to pass an SS rank test (or was at one time).

It makes sense, as we have such qualifications in the real world. I may not have a driver's license, but I know how to drive. You can watch me and get a measurement of my capabilities. But I'd need to get an official driver's license, and have it renewed every 4-5 years. If I didn't, it would lapse.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:03   Link #133
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

More pics from the Movie 1st:
Spoiler for Memorial clips (screencaps like):

Edit : more pics.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:17   Link #134
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
More pics from the Movie 1st:
Spoiler for Memorial clips (screencaps like):

Edit : more pics.
Love the one where Nanoha is looking down on Feito...But what scene is that? From where Fate is positioned, it doesn't look like Nanoha is carrying her. But...maybe she is, I am kind of tired...

@Nina: Yeah, it must be...Fate is waiting for Nanoha to give her a cake or something? Where are you, Nanohaaa?
Old 2010-01-25, 14:18   Link #135
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Mhmmmm... This is kinda late, but.. did they change the tone of Arf's hair?
Old 2010-01-25, 14:37   Link #136
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Love the one where Nanoha is looking down on Feito...But what scene is that? From where Fate is positioned, it doesn't look like Nanoha is carrying her. But...maybe she is, I am kind of tired...
I guess they just ended their fight and Nanoha put Fate on the ground so she can rest or something, since Bardiche lies next to her.

More pics?
Spoiler for Memorial clip, chibi-Fate inside:
Old 2010-01-25, 14:43   Link #137
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Maybe if I have enough of this I can create a side show. ;_;

Loli-er Fate with Chibi-Arf.

I thought I was pro at telling Alicia and Fate apart, but this one has me stumped.

Would have never guessed it was Alicia without Precia being there.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:49   Link #138
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Would have never guessed it was Alicia without Precia being there.
I think it's Fate. Precia may not have realize yet that she is different from Alicia or she just get lectured by Linith so she decided to visit Fate for once...
But Precia looks too gloomy here, the person it front of her can't possibly be Alicia u_u'.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:52   Link #139
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'll take the rank debate to the tech thread to prevent further off-topicness.

Also, I confused Alicia for Vivio there for a second.
Old 2010-01-25, 14:56   Link #140
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Also, I confused Alicia for Vivio there for a second.
I did too. They look identical when the pic is cropped like that lol

Closed Thread