AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2013-01-29, 18:01   Link #521
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Ah, about that. It's still in-progress. A performer of ours (In charge of Krauss, Rudolf, and some of the other huskier adults) has a peptic ulcer, so we've had a hiatus. I'm not dropping it though.
Old 2013-01-30, 12:56   Link #522
Thunder Book
Endless Member

So I started watching Redaction of the Golden Witch, and I was like "Oh, Renall~" at the part where
Spoiler:
Thunder Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 13:48   Link #523
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

People immediately determined the Forgery was a fake the instant Krauss did anything intelligent.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 14:20   Link #524
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Haha, yeah. I like the set-up with the adults it leads to though.

Another thing I find myself liking a lot as I work my way through the second playlist is how Battler seems to have more private, one one one conversations with the characters. I'm so used to seeing multiple characters in a scene from the main games, so its kind of nice to see these slower, more personal interactions.

I wonder how this plays into the whole Forgery aspect of the story...
Old 2013-01-30, 15:07   Link #525
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

That's more a writing style thing, although it's not irrelevant by any stretch of the imagination. I just like focused interpersonal dialogues, usually between 2-3 characters total. While I am at times trying to intentionally mirror Ryukishi's style, there are things he does that I just don't or won't do and so I hope that differentiates the voice and style. I'm also intentionally trying to style the Forgery as having a distinct voice unto itself though, and that part is very important. The twin mysteries of the story are basically "What happened to Beatrice?" and "What kind of person is the author?" Knowing the answer to either is a guide to the other, although it won't immediately answer everything. Time will tell whether the ideas I thought I was expressing are the ones that actually come through.

That said I wouldn't jump into it expecting everything to be tidied up by a sequence of factual red proclamations, because I'm focused on those two questions and not other ones. Doesn't mean they won't be addressed, but I'm preparing a very different kind of reasoning battle for the climax and finale. Whether I'll still be on that by the time I get there... that's another issue. A great many significant changes have occurred even after the publication of the first two parts as I gather and refine my concept. I'm glad to finally complete the 1996 story, the framework of which has been an idea I've had since around the time ep5 was translated. All the other stuff has spun up around it and wildly out of control, and the meaning of the 1996 story has come a hell of a way since I started with it. But I've wanted that thing out of my head for several years now, and it's finally taken a form of some sort.

Also my signature is woefully out of date. Part 3 is done but for editing, though I expect that to take a good while yet as I get feedback from folks, correct errors, and tweak things. It ended quite well and it's made me enthusiastic about moving on to Part 4, where the metaphorical excrement hits the killer electric fan. I'll update the preview image soonish.

Old 2013-02-04, 10:57   Link #526
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Redaction of the Golden Witch - Part 3

Walter Absalom has written that a human committed murder on June 14, 1996. But the wise sometimes say: Don't believe everything you read. There are many who would claim that a witch was to blame, the same as in 1986. It was magic, not man, which descended upon Rokkenjima with glory and violence... just as it did once before.

Absalom himself concedes that there are holes in his argument. If his resolve to struggle onward toward the truth is based on little more than a hunch, is he really offering any better alternative to magic?

The witch now presents her case. Judge for yourself.

The next playlist, in six more parts.
(YouTube appears to be having some issues populating the playlist properly; I'll fix this if it doesn't fix itself, it's probably related to the videos being uploaded Unlisted)

Old 2013-02-04, 11:27   Link #527
Thunder Book
Endless Member

Yessssss more Redaction.
Old 2013-02-04, 18:40   Link #528
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

For reasons unknown, the fifth video has no audio whatsoever. Oops. I'm fixing that as we speak!

Old 2013-02-04, 20:53   Link #529
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I'm really enjoying reading Redaction, Renall. I'm still on Part 1, though, so I'm not really able to speculate on where the story is going yet.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 12:17   Link #530
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Well, I can tell you this much about where it's going at least: It's going to be rather a bit longer than I'd expected it to turn out. I don't know if it's writing creep or enthusiasm, but it seems like every part gets longer than the last. It's already up to 9 hours or so, which is quite obscene (suddenly I feel as though I cannot speak ill of people with 9 hour YouTube stuff), although in its intended final VN format I hope it would be quite a bit shorter for the average reader. That's still a ways off though, and I can't see it not being another 6-9 hours when I finally get it all squared away. And there's still parts I'd like to add but have left out, mostly meta-scenes. Yeesh. I am glad to have the YouTube releases, because it keeps me focused and on-schedule. Editing is almost a certainty though, as the shorter scene-based setup is more flexible when there aren't specific breaks. I don't know if I'd even want to use chapter breaks as such in a lot of cases where I do already have them.

As I finish up the writing on Part 4 (don't get too excited, scripting all this magic battle nonsense* is extremely time-consuming even with the writing done) I'm looking ahead to what is supposed to be the "final" part (inasmuch as of course there will be Tea Party-esque segments and such) and realizing there's quite a bit I want in there if I intend to end it at the point I want to end it. I don't have to; I could shunt some of that stuff into the other "post-story" parts, but I kind of like it where it is. But...

I intend to add a "Questions" video at the end of the video version. This part wouldn't be in any eventual re-edited VN release, it's just there for the fun of it. Basically some kind of "OK, here's all the stuff I did, now here's what I want to see your interpretation on." Let people debate incessantly in comments or just email me ideas. There's a specific reason for this, and for the structuring of what I'd want to have before the questions... but man, in some ways there's reasons that having those questions there would necessitate moving certain parts out of the "main body" of the work.

But it would be really neat to see how much people have figured out and when, without spoonfeeding some of the big revelations to prime the thought process pump (which would happen if I didn't move some stuff out to the Tea Party-equivalent).

---

* Regarding the magic battle stuff... something I think is interesting that I haven't really noted until I got to it is that it's rather... hard... to write a straight-up fight in this VN format, yet it's actually pretty smooth sailing to write a blue-and-red sort of "logic battle," even throwing in the various fantastical embellishments. The conversational flow gives a nice back-and-forth that's absent in a regular sort of fantasy scene, and is a good deal more satisfactory.

So naturally I'm slightly annoyed with myself for squirreling 99% of that sort of fight away into the post-story parts. But I must not falter. That sort of thing is better suited to giving answers anyway.

Also the preview image in my signature updates as scenes get worked on. It's usually a scene or two behind whatever I'm scripting though. It's all spoilers, but I try to pick the most intentionally misleading or decontextualized screenshots.

Old 2013-02-22, 20:04   Link #531
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Here's the very first bit of this, finally.

WHEN THE SILENT SPIRITS CRY

Prologue: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=532
Chapter 1: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=533

Last edited by AuraTwilight; 2013-02-24 at 20:28.
AuraTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 20:05   Link #532
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Spoiler for When the Silent Spirits Cry Prologue:
Old 2013-02-24, 20:27   Link #533
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Spoiler for When the Silent Spirits Cry Chapter One:
Old 2013-02-25, 03:01   Link #534
Golden Bug-Hunter

Really enjoying Redaction so far.

I know you're interested to hear when people figure things out, so I'll toss out a few blues of things that occur to me from the three parts so far.

Hiding behind a spoiler tag for those who have not watched yet...

Spoiler for Part 3 of Redacted:
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 05:20   Link #535
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

As someone who knows the truth of Redaction, I will simply say that Golden Bug-Hunters blues were entertaining to read. I will say that you have the right idea with ONE of those.
Old 2013-02-25, 05:34   Link #536
battle22

Aura, no VN style? Then I should copy paste it on andorid and read it there.
Old 2013-02-25, 11:03   Link #537
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Bug-Hunter View Post
Really enjoying Redaction so far.

I know you're interested to hear when people figure things out, so I'll toss out a few blues of things that occur to me from the three parts so far.
I'm happy to hear it from you, and there's a lot of things about Part 3 that I was hoping would be noticed or not noticed so replies like this are encouraging. I don't want to see people wandering far afield, as that means I really screwed up, so I'll just say that these are theories I'd be obligated to respond to very carefully, rather than dismissing them out of hand.
Spoiler:
Anti-Mystery's assault on 1986 begins in Part 4, which I am happy to report is now finished aside from the editing! There's going to be a fair bit of editing though, I suspect.

Old 2013-02-25, 12:31   Link #538
Golden Bug-Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Golden Bug-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 15:32   Link #539
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by battle22 View Post
Aura, no VN style? Then I should copy paste it on andorid and read it there.
Sorry, dude; I'm not good at scripting, and besides, it'd be a paaain in the assss to do~ XD Being a Silent Hill story, it would require making too much custom music, character sprites, environment backrounds...
Old 2013-02-27, 14:15   Link #540
Jaden

Redaction looks good so far! It's a more ambitious project than I thought it would be. I hope Renall manages a graceful conclusion to it eventually.

Spoiler for discussing part 3:

Last edited by Jaden; 2013-02-27 at 14:28.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote