AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-02-18, 20:11   Link #23281
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Completely useless comment, but I thought that JK Rowling was generally encouraging of fanfiction? There are other authors who explicitly ask for no fanfiction to be done of their works, for the reasons Dezo mentioned earlier, but I wasn't aware that Rowling was one of them...
Yes and no. I was partially mistaken, as I remembered her name in the news once before with regards to fanfiction. It appears she is one of the ones who has given her blessing to fanfiction, but only if it doesn't contain any sexual explicit material. So no, you're not totally free to write whatever you want, even if you have a kick ass story that addresses some adult concepts. In other words, the cast can never grow up.

Anne Rice, Anne McCaffrey, and Raymond Feist on the other hand, have forbidden it altogether.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 20:22   Link #23282
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
It's understandable, some of the ones who've banned fanfiction at all....especially Mercedes Lackey, since her mentor lost a book over a fanfic lawsuit .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 20:43   Link #23283
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well, this is the Nanoha fanfiction thread, not the law school thread. FF.net does have a list of authors you're not allowed to write fics based on, but Nanoha is not one of them. Let's move on, shall we?
Old 2010-02-18, 22:01   Link #23284
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
but Nanoha is not one of them.
I just got an image of Nanoha as Literary Agent, which would explain just how rampant her calling card is.

(and Dezo, I understand it's actually copyright, but FF.net defined it as plagiarism at the time I still posted songfics there)
Old 2010-02-19, 00:20   Link #23285
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

Heh...since I actually brought this up...I'm kind of curious about this. What if I just used a few lines from the song but then reference what it was from and who owned it? Is that a copyright violation despite the fact that I'm trying to give the artist credit?
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 00:23   Link #23286
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

That sounds more like a shout-out to me, which is perfectly legal so far as I know.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 00:59   Link #23287
kaname08
Poetic Stargazer

I remember I mentioned once something with regards to a NanoxFate doujinishi and Shamal gave Fate a pill which was supposed to be used on Nanoha, yet it had no effect. That catalyst sort of inspired me and...since I'm re-writing my fanfic...there was something that I just couldn't get out of my head which sounded funny to me, but I'm not sure entirely.

Here's what I had in mind to put (possibly) in a later chapter (with regards to those pills):

Spoiler for Content for possible lemon description:
kaname08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 01:18   Link #23288
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I'd contribute something to here ( and Cadia ) but alas, writer's block for god knows how long has loved me too much and taken too much of my time. So I'll just contribute differently... in the form of links to moon-language fanfics.

This here as well as this one for random assortments of A's and StrikerS fics.

And Cross Fire has some stuff ranging from Aria to Nanoha too. Though his longer works aren't available for public reading, as he sells them on Comikets.

For those who can read Japanese, some of em are quite fun... and unique. Even when compared to what some of our fellow denizens in this subforum has cooked up. Yours truly one of the guilty.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 09:33   Link #23289
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaname08 View Post
Heh...since I actually brought this up...I'm kind of curious about this. What if I just used a few lines from the song but then reference what it was from and who owned it? Is that a copyright violation despite the fact that I'm trying to give the artist credit?
I've been doing that more and more recently lately, just quoting a few lines from the song instead of using the whole thing throughout the fic. I feel it adds better to the mood and tone of the story, for some reason.
Old 2010-02-19, 11:17   Link #23290
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Time Looped Omake is now up on FF.Net.

Poor, poor Quattro...

Oh well.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 15:29   Link #23291
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Well I lost a bet so...as punishment I have to link this here DX

So umm...*ahem* chapter 5 of BetrayerS is out x.x

I should probably start adding more people on there too. The Cafe does seem undermanned atm XD

Edit: This is completely different from the doujin, but the title is fitting for what I have planned hehe

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 18:08   Link #23292
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I've been doing that more and more recently lately, just quoting a few lines from the song instead of using the whole thing throughout the fic. I feel it adds better to the mood and tone of the story, for some reason.
Plus, it also presents the image that you're using the quotation for effect, because it suits the pre-existing theme of your work, instead of writing a work based around the song.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 18:42   Link #23293
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Here's the first part of another fic I had started not that long ago. This one takes place between the first two seasons. It focuses on Fate and her doubts about her new life, with a certain some one helping her through it.

I haven't listened to all of the first season sound stages yet, so I'm sure this doesn't work canonically, but I'm ignoring that.

Spoiler for My Second Friend part 1:
Old 2010-02-19, 19:35   Link #23294
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi
Well this is kind of on topic, o I'll go ahead and post it:

Fanfiction is NOT "fair use", it is a "derivative work", meaning that it is 100% illegal and you can be sued over it without any trouble at all. Companies generally don't care, blah blah, free advertisement, blah blah, its been said before.

However, you can release fanfics as books if you take about the right steps.

First and foremost is the hardest way. Pitch yourself to the company who owns the copyrights and try to work for them.

The second way is a little harder and is what I did when I published Saved by the Bell, and the upcoming AlternativeS books. You can contact the company who own the rights in America (In Nanoha's case, its FUNimation), and ask them for permission to release a limited amount of vanity books for non-profit. FUNimation only has the rights to distribute Nanoha as the anime and can not give permission to release derivative works without requesting permission from Japan. They can, however, tell you other legally binding things to allow you to release.

In my case, it was not to release for mass sale and they would "turn a blind eye" and "have no intention to take legal action against it". By those terms I can print and release. I won't go into full legal aspects of it because I actually consulted a lawer (yes I know one :P ) before I made my books and he answered and handled a lot of it for me. In the end I was able to print it without any worry of legal actions.

Spoiler for SbtB the novel:
Satashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 20:22   Link #23295
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I suppose the obvious question is "Why go through the trouble?" I mean, it costs to publish hard copies and since you can't sell it for profit, then you just lose that money on something that can freely be widely distributed online anyways.
Old 2010-02-19, 20:26   Link #23296
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
I suppose the obvious question is "Why go through the trouble?" I mean, it costs to publish hard copies and since you can't sell it for profit, then you just lose that money on something that can freely be widely distributed online anyways.
I think the key word there is profit. I know jack about copyright laws but I think it's perfectly legal to sell doujins and stuff like this so long as the unit price matches the publishing cost.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 20:30   Link #23297
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Well, I'll never have to worry about any of that since I'm not at all interested in actually publishing my work or printing it out as a book. Besides, if I ever want to reread any of it, it's a simple matter of printing out a hard copy and stapling it all together and keeping it somewhere I can find it, if I ever get the urge to look through it.
Old 2010-02-19, 22:50   Link #23298
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
And the plot thickens! Another Jewel Seed appears, and yay, Precia appears again! Whoops, I think that's just me who enjoys that...

Thanks to Itanshi1 and RB for betaing! ^^

ANGEL
Is second-best really good enough?

Spoiler for Angel, Chapter 11: Wag the Dog:

Previous Parts:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Next Chapter: Full Circle
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 22:55   Link #23299
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
And the plot thickens! Another Jewel Seed appears, and yay, Precia appears again! Whoops, I think that's just me who enjoys that...

Thanks to Itanshi1 and RB for betaing! ^^

ANGEL
Is second-best really good enough?

Spoiler for Angel, Chapter 11: Wag the Dog:

Previous Parts:
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Next Chapter: Full Circle
The fight scene flowed together, seeing it from Subaru's perspective was a nice touch, and it had some humor to it that lightened the tone a bit. The SubaruTea hint was well placed, especially with Teana's "Over... a Jewel Seed?" reply to Subaru. For some reason, I cheered at Arf's attacking her.

Seeing Carim as a mother hen is quite funny, and it's nice to see Signum is starting to worry about her charges; though seeing Hayate lie about her condition is worrying. Seeing Zafira so worked up was even worse, because he knows she's lying.

The Carim/Fate scene works extremely well, and Jesus, finally one of you acknowledges she's done a good job! It took you long enough!

Why does Arf nipping Zafira's tail amuse me so?

And hey, foreshadowing!

Huh, Fate brings up an interesting point.

FORESHADOWING! .... and a sinking feeling in my stomach, joy.
Old 2010-02-20, 00:03   Link #23300
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall

I keep thinking life is going to slow down, and it just keeps moving faster. With that said, I am really going to try to wrap of this story by the end of the weekend. TRY!
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha