AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-21, 20:54   Link #301
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
To put it another way... just because Itou draws a character in a specific way doesn't mean they actually look like that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-21, 20:58   Link #302
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
You'd think Kyon would comment if she was an albino like Rei, though.
Gray hair and albino's white hair are very different.

It is evem possible for some one have the their hair start to become white pretty early. So a 15 girl with gray-ish hair is not impossible. I agree Kyon would probably comment, as it is pretty uncommon, anyway.

Quote:
...You do realize that unrealistic hair colors don't really exist (unless specifically drawn attention to) and were originally used to differentiate between similar-looking characters back when anime looked like shit, right?
This remember me Saint Seiya, in the original manga, everyone has realistic hair colors. They changed it for the anime, however, making one of the main characters have green hair (a nice move, as Kurumada sucks in differentiate then).

Quote:
By the way, even though Mikuru's hair is clearly red/reddish brown in the illustrations, her hair is described as "light brown" in the text.
This is very good exemple. I have to say that in the first color image Mikuru did have light brown hair (and Haruhi had a black hair, as it is in the description). Yuki's is still purplish in the same scene, tough.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:06   Link #303
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

While in most cases it is just to help diffferentiate the characters, good anime productions (and by extension good manga/light novel illustration), will often use odd hair colors to give you some hint about the characters. Haruhi is a good example.

Haruhi: Brown hair. In her eyes, she's normal. In many ways she is more normal than most of the other main characters.
Yuki: Light purple-gray hair. By all accounts a fairly "alien" hair color even for the genre.
Kimidori: Light green-gray. Same as Yuki, as dark green is far more common, unless you're a mermaid.
Tsuruya-san: Dark green. Dark colors are always more "normal", considering the Japanese audience, but green still shows that she's a bit of an odd duck.
Ryoko: Dark blue. An abnormal color, but not too abnormal (her nature is supposed to be a huge surprise. Dark blue is a common Yamato Nadeshiko color.
Mikuru: Auburn. A normal color (she is the most "human" of the odd SOS-dan members, after all), just not for a Japanese native. It's a fairly glamorous color, at least in the West. Maybe it's the same in Japan.
All the guys: Natural hair colors (dark brown, bleached in Taniguchi's case). All ther guys are some variety of normal, even Itsuki, for whom an odd hair color would dent his pretty boy image. Taniguchi is a pretty boy wannabe, hence the (chemically) abnormal color.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:10   Link #304
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
While in most cases it is just to help diffferentiate the characters, good anime productions (and by extension good manga/light novel illustration), will often use odd hair colors to give you some hint about the characters. Haruhi is a good example.

Haruhi: Brown hair. In her eyes, she's normal. In many ways she is more normal than most of the other main characters.
Yuki: Light purple-gray hair. By all accounts a fairly "alien" hair color even for the genre.
Kimidori: Light green-gray. Same as Yuki, as dark green is far more common, unless you're a mermaid.
Tsuruya-san: Dark green. Dark colors are always more "normal", considering the Japanese audience, but green still shows that she's a bit of an odd duck.
Ryoko: Dark blue. An abnormal color, but not too abnormal (her nature is supposed to be a huge surprise. Dark blue is a common Yamato Nadeshiko color.
Mikuru: Auburn. A normal color (she is the most "human" of the odd SOS-dan members, after all), just not for a Japanese native. It's a fairly glamorous color, at least in the West. Maybe it's the same in Japan.
All the guys: Natural hair colors (dark brown, bleached in Taniguchi's case). All ther guys are some variety of normal, even Itsuki, for whom an odd hair color would dent his pretty boy image. Taniguchi is a pretty boy wannabe, hence the (chemically) abnormal color.
I agree with this. Good observations.

The only thing I sometimes wonder is if Haruhi would be better with more reddish hair, given her often explosive personality.

However, if starting from scratch, I too would lean towards giving Haruhi either brown or reddish hair.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:28   Link #305
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post

This is a pretty old theory. But is less about bein "normal" or "supernatural". Mikuru can be 'human' but is considered 'supernatural' anyway. And Itsuki still has a very normal haircolor despite being able to go to unknow spaces and fly in a fireball.

A more fitting theory would be "aliens has colored hair", but then Tsuruya doesn't fit.

Spoiler for Novel 9:

I would say there is not real reason for the hair colors beside aesthetic.

PP:
Oh, and in Itou Noizi original drawings she have black hair. But it is not very consistent, anyway, waiving from black to light brown more or less randomly.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:29   Link #306
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
A more fitting theory would be "aliens has colored hair", but then Tsuruya doesn't fit.
Tsuruya dyes her hair green.

Okay, not really, but it sounded funny at the time.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:30   Link #307
Sho-tan
Seitenkan's Shota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post

I think it's just because Tsuruya's crazy enough to actually dye her hair green. That or she's not as normal as some may think.

EDIT - Dammit, Ninja'd

Last edited by Sho-tan; 2009-11-23 at 16:21.
Old 2009-11-23, 00:38   Link #308
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Tsuruya dyes her hair green.

Okay, not really, but it sounded funny at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-tan View Post
I think it's just because Tsuruya's crazy enough to actually dye her hair green. That or she's not as normal as some may think.
...lol?

Anyway, if it was dyed it would be commented. In anime world it don't matter how crazy the hair colors are, but if they are blond hair or dyed hair they would be commented on spot.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-11-23 at 01:55.
Old 2009-11-23, 17:19   Link #309
Milu

Screw the rules, she [just] has green hair!
Old 2009-11-24, 05:44   Link #310
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Yeah, SCREW the explanation.

IT'S THERE, STOP COMPLAINING. XD
Old 2009-12-03, 02:22   Link #311
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I prefer the glasses myself.

But, to perhaps spark some more discussion here...

I finally got back to my Top 10 Favorite Anime Characters of All-Time Countdown list, over on my anime blog.

And guess who made No. 7?

Hope Nagato fans like the write-up...

http://assessingtheanime.blogspot.co...ki-nagato.html
Huh, it's been a solid three weeks. Time slips away too fast.

Love the AMV, first of all. I think I might've heard Madobe Nite before, but I'm not sure. I liked your Tatewaki Kuno video a lot, but it's gotten a bit worn out after watching it 500 times, so it's nice to have a new one. (I read the article right after it was posted, but didn't watch the video for some reason.)

Who's Utau the Watcher?

Esoterically Exquistely Erudite... I dunno what Kogetsu's talking about when he mentions a lack of alliteration. And as a writer, it's nice learning a new word like erudite.

I completely agree about the part where you mentioned that Yuki's richness of mind and personality somehow manages to shine through her emotionless exterior. That paragraph sums up a lot about why I like her as much as I do. During the Melancholy arc that didn't hold true, she just struck me as a cold and emotionally shallow intellectual (And I'm guessing that you felt somewhat the same at first, since you didn't claim to notice the 'profound deepness of character and personality' until having some discussions with Nagato's fans, which might even mean this is something that happened just this year if you're talking about discussions at AnimeSuki), but by the time Sighs rolled around she felt just as warm and human as any other member of the Brigade. Can't wait to learn more about her come February's Disappearance movie.

And I agree that she's effortlessly very cool. The only character that might be able to outcool her is Kyon in some of his more badass moments. Yuki taking the Mikuru Beam for Kyon in Sighs III (Or was it Sighs II?) along with her hands regenerating afterwards is one of my favorite parts from the anime.

Great read as always, you have a fun writing style. My only complaint is that I'd have to liked to read more about Yuki's softer side. I mean, it works well and artfully the way it's done, with the trailing off, picture, and the switch to another subject. It's just an interesting enough topic to deserve another paragraph or three.
Old 2009-12-03, 05:10   Link #312
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Who's Utau the Watcher?
Think he might've meant Uatu, an error I didn't even notice until just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Esoterically Exquistely Erudite... I dunno what Kogetsu's talking about when he mentions a lack of alliteration.
One instance, when he usually does it constantly.
Old 2009-12-03, 16:28   Link #313
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
This thread should get more attention.
When Disappearance comes out, It'll explode.
Old 2009-12-07, 11:58   Link #314
Shounenbat

I'm coming out of lurking to ask a rather stupid question regarding one of the novels.

Spoiler for Volume 8, Chapter 1:

Sorry for the question. I'm a bit new to the series (finished season 1 just before season 2 came out and have been plugging away at the novels recently), so if the answer lies somewhere in another novel or somthing like that, then please disregard this question. I appologize in advance if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this.
Old 2009-12-07, 18:56   Link #315
Tabasco

This is one of those open to interpretation things. As far as I know, there isn't any clear cut explanation for what's going on here anywhere else in the novels.

I'll leave it to someone else to give a coherent answer to what is happening, because I sure don't have one.
Old 2009-12-07, 21:23   Link #316
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounenbat View Post
I'm coming out of lurking to ask a rather stupid question regarding one of the novels.

Spoiler for Volume 8, Chapter 1:

Sorry for the question. I'm a bit new to the series (finished season 1 just before season 2 came out and have been plugging away at the novels recently), so if the answer lies somewhere in another novel or somthing like that, then please disregard this question. I appologize in advance if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this.
I need to go back and reread Yuki's story sometime soon. I'm going to speculate a little bit, but I'm only looking at the part of the story posted here. I'm probably just repeating stuff I've heard elsewhere, but Mikuru being the ghost girl might indicate her place as a time traveler. If you use her comparison of time travel and animation, you could say that she's like a layer added somewhere with reduced opacity, like it wouldn't otherwise be there. She's the person blending into the time frame, even though she's not from then and shouldn't really be there.

Looking at this right now, the coffin seems like it could be the SOS-dan as a group. Yuki could be saying that her place is in the Brigade when she mentions her place in the coffin. In that case, Kyon might be the man on the coffin. As long as he doesn't move from the coffin, she can't get in. There's a really obvious death/deletion thing there, but it could also mean something about Yuki being unable to gather enough information on Haruhi if Kyon's always around her. I don't know why that would be, though... I shouldn't try to speculate when I'm tired.

I still like the interpretation that her story is completely free of any symbolic whatsits. She's just talking about some guy sitting on a coffin, singing while a girl with a sheet on her head flails around.
Old 2009-12-07, 21:48   Link #317
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I need to go back and reread Yuki's story sometime soon. I'm going to speculate a little bit, but I'm only looking at the part of the story posted here. I'm probably just repeating stuff I've heard elsewhere, but Mikuru being the ghost girl might indicate her place as a time traveler. If you use her comparison of time travel and animation, you could say that she's like a layer added somewhere with reduced opacity, like it wouldn't otherwise be there. She's the person blending into the time frame, even though she's not from then and shouldn't really be there.
I believe I've said before, but the ghost girls say that people are ghosts if they don't have names... if she's Mikuru, wouldn't that mean that they don't have names in the future? A certain character from Vols. 7 and 9 seems to show a marked disdain for names, as well.
Old 2009-12-08, 00:43   Link #318
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
I don't know if you'd call that outright disdain, though, rather than just that certain character looking down on Kyon. It does put a person on a symbolically higher plane when you can only refer to him by a psuedonym, and especially one like
Spoiler:
If I'm not being completely stupid, his name shares the same characters and pronunciation with a pretty important noble family, which held regent-like powers up until the start of the Kamakura era. His generally flippant attitude towards Kyon, despite Kyon's place as a pretty important guy in the dealings of it all, might support this.
Old 2009-12-08, 09:39   Link #319
Tabasco

But would that even matter in the time he and Mikuru presumably hail from?

I think what Kaisos meant was that Fujiwara has a disdain for names in general, or at least giving them out as a courtesy. Granted, he does also seem to trivialize Kyon as well, but he seems to treat everyone that way.
Old 2010-01-09, 23:48   Link #320
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Since the movie will be coming out in less than a month, I thought I'll take the chance to talk about Yuki!

I'm sure most people will agree with me when I say that Yuki is the most tragic character out of the series. Granted, she has A LOT of character development, but most of them only serve to create heart-wrenching feelings (or to me, anyway). And no, Mikuru being bullied by Haruhi doesn't even come close.

And perhaps the most saddening thing is that despite her awesome powers, she can never change her situation. She's merely here to observe, after all. And then there's Kyon, whom she follows loyally. At the end of the day, she will always sacrifice her interests for him, no matter what they are, like in
Spoiler for Disappearance:

PS: Sorry about this rant about Yuki. I'm just feeling indignant for her after reading Disappearance
Closed Thread

Tags
characters