AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-07-10, 18:06   Link #141
james0246

I've seen a lot of films in the past few weeks, so, here we go (in short, though)...

Karate Kid - the romance really brought this film down, but Jackie Chan's earnest acting really helped to carry this film though its 2+ hours. 75/100.

A-Team - silly to the extreme, but damn fine popcorn fare. The actor’s obvious delight and fun really help to stomach the sheer silliness of the story. 70/100.

Predators - despite the extremely obvious storyline (I predicted the order of the character's deaths with a 100% accuracy rating, and even predicted exactly how the Japanese character would die (right down to the billowing tall grass) ), but generally well acted (Laurence Fishburne was very good as an insane soldier), with good tension and decent pacing. 72/100.

Toy Story 3 - I'm going to be hated for this, but I didn't like Pixar's latest fare. Predictable and obviously manipulative in its quest to instill a sense of nostalgia in every frame, TS3 was a very unneeded sequel to what was an already unneeded sequel (TS2). What's even worse, though, is how simplistic and uninteresting the plot truly is. There is no real development of the characters (the same themes of betrayal have been carted out for all 3 films now, with only the first film being in any way interesting), and known gags are reused ad infinitum (something weird happens to Buzz, Mr. Potato falls apart, Mrs. Potato is annoyingly shrill, Slinky stretches, etc). Added to that are the lack of interesting set pieces (Sunny Hills (whatever) is a bore, with Sir Hugs-A-Lot being a very weak remake of Kelsey Grammer's Stinky Pete from the second film; the only worthwhile set-piece is the Landfill). Also, the 3-D sucked. All in all, a very unworthy entry in the Pixar pantheon (not as bad as Cars though...). Still, the film is extremely well done, so 70/100.

Cyrus - Very charming and funny romantic comedy. An extremely touching film at times, the actors handle their subject matter with a deft, but humorous, hand. 80/100

The Kids Are All Right - Very strong dramady that is unpretentious in its look at modern families in America circa 2010. Extremely well acted all around, with a smart script and good dialogue. 86/100.

Despicable Me – Very charming 3-D animated feature. Simplistic to the extreme, but very honest in its intentions and desires. Very good acting on the part of Carrel, with the child characters adorable to the extreme (though there isn't much backstory there). 80/100.

Can't wait to see [Rec]2...

---

The worst...

Airbender - Painfully bad with only 1 or 2 redeeming battle sequences keeping this film above near desolation levels. 32/100.

Grown Ups - charming premise, albeit done a 100+ times before, that is hampered by it's star-studded cast (okay, only Selma Hayek is realistically a "star" anymore). 52/100.

Twilight - Boring to the extreme and painfully average. 50/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-11 at 01:31.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 18:19   Link #142
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Repo Men , with Jude Laws . Great movie , i didn't expected such ending , very good . Actions were extra . Lot of bloods , they didn't censored it . Damn , my organ hurt while watching this movie
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 19:28   Link #143
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I watched The Hurt Locker last week.

Remind me never to do EOD in the military.

The only scene that really got on my nerves was the sniping match. The two blokes were just lying there in plain view and no one was shooting at them despite what happened to the PMC before them.

Other than that I really enjoyed it.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 19:35   Link #144
Nemu

Beetlejuice is the most recent movie I watched. It was on earlier this morning on TV and I watched it with my sister. I didn't catch it from the very beginning but it was close. I really enjoyed seeing it again, it's a great movie. ^^
Nemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 06:28   Link #145
Irkalla
I asked for this

Dream boy- it's like a teen version of Brokeback mountain, but very cute and likeable. The actor portraying Nethan did a great job in portraying him as an asocial timid innocent guy who is also very damaged in many ways. Roy on the other hand is a pretty typical seme. Oh and all the boys are cute, so the movie is easy on the eyes as well. The only thing I ddn't like about the movie was the ending, it was left up to the viewer to decide how it ended. 7/10

Vampires suck:..My god, what a waste of space. I hate twilight, but this is just so not funny and so dumb, really really dumb. -100000000000/10
Old 2010-07-11, 10:05   Link #146
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Recent movies I watched at cinema were The A-Team/The Karate Kid/Get Him to the Greek/Prince .. My favorite movie this summer is by far Get him to been a semi-fan Russell Brand ever since Forgetting Sarah .

On DVDs I plan to watch are these two movies, got them . But haven't yet had the time .

Quote:

* Let the Right One In : Based on a novel Let Me In and they are making a Hollywood remake . Wanted to watch this since a long time . Due to the remake finally this Swedish movie is getting some buzz . Trailer

* Anthony Zimmer : Came to know about this movie due to The Tourist . Yep the same upcoming movie The Tourist starring Depp/Jolie . The plot of Zimmer is intriguing and complex hope the remake does justice to the original . Trailer (German)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Vampires suck:..My god, what a waste of space. I hate twilight, but this is just so not funny and so dumb, really really dumb. -100000000000/10
Yeah it looks like a mish mash of Tween movies/Horror Parodies . Yet another one and the quality/comedy factor. Has died since Scary Movie Franchise .
Old 2010-07-11, 10:26   Link #147
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
* Let the Right One In : Based on a novel Let Me In and they are making a Hollywood remake . Wanted to watch this since a long time . Due to the remake finally this Swedish movie is getting some buzz . Trailer
As a word of advice, make sure the copy you have has the correct subtitles. The intial release for the film (in N. America at least) had overly simplified subtitles that greatly diminshed the story. If you do pick up a copy make sure the back of the box (or the DVD menu) has the words "Theatrical Subtitles".

Last edited by james0246; 2010-07-11 at 10:49.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 10:33   Link #148
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Pirates of the Caribbean 1. Yes, I haven't watched it until now. Yes, I should have earlier. Yes, it surpassed my initial expectations and spiked on my favs.

Got the two others waiting...

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 10:33   Link #149
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Saw Toy Story 3 yesterday, haven't enjoyed a movie like that in awhile. It was just awesome to see the old characters again the movie was just pure enjoyment. Also the movie was very emotional as well. I thought the ending was perfect when it came to the message to the theme. I have been wanting a new Toy Story for while and this movie surpassed my expectation.

Now if they would make a sequel I wouldn't go and watch as I believe that 3 ended in perfect way and sequel is not needed anymore.
Old 2010-07-11, 10:53   Link #150
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Most recent movie for me is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets; they had a marathon on while my best friend IRl was over, so we watched it together since we both love Harry Potter.
Old 2010-07-11, 13:41   Link #151
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post

Didn't think I would hear this one get mentioned. I'm almost certain the theater that had this movie awhile back had simplified subtitles. Interesting movie despite the subtitles.

Last movie I seen though was the more recent Clash of the titans. I would say a decent movie, from beginning to end.
Old 2010-07-11, 14:40   Link #152
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaseka View Post
Seen the trailer. It looks really dumb indeed. I don't know why people are just trying to copy what they did with Scary Movie. Nothing could ever compare to those, and nothing will.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 17:54   Link #153
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ah, summer time ..... Bad Movies By The Dozen.
Old 2010-07-11, 21:02   Link #154
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Ah, summer time ..... Bad Movies By The Dozen.
I'm ashamed to admit that the trailer I saw for Alpha and Omega while waiting for The Last Airbender to air actually caught my attention.
Old 2010-07-12, 14:07   Link #155
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We've been doing a lot of Netflix. We started rewatching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. Even when its ponderous and the pacing makes you scream, its a grand ride. The music and "Captain... Jack Sparrow".
Old 2010-07-12, 15:35   Link #156
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Predators - despite the extremely obvious storyline (I predicted the order of the character's deaths with a 100% accuracy rating, and even predicted exactly how the Japanese character would die (right down to the billowing tall grass) ), but generally well acted (Laurence Fishburne was very good as an insane soldier), with good tension and decent pacing. 72/100.
I just saw that one. It was great. I enjoyed it a lot, the predator designs are always good. And I loved the yakuza's fight. So awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We've been doing a lot of Netflix. We started rewatching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. Even when its ponderous and the pacing makes you scream, its a grand ride. The music and "Captain... Jack Sparrow".
Netflix is the best. And Pirates is great. The first one is the best however.
Old 2010-07-12, 21:39   Link #157
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

Dead Alive. and I was eating lunch when I watched it! Most disgusting, gory, and absurd movie I have ever seen. I recommend it if you have a strong stomach!
Old 2010-07-12, 22:19   Link #158
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I watched this one Chinese movie last night I don't know what it was called it was on My Z TV after midnight when they start playing classic tv shows and movies from "THIS" television network or something. All I can say was the movie is very depressing yet happy.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:24   Link #159
Lost Cause

I saw Heat and Payback! Both were outstanding! And gave me some good ideas too!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 22:58   Link #160
pepper_begs

I just watched "I Sell the Dead".

Very funny.
pepper_begs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live-action, movie, movies