AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-09-12, 21:25   Link #1
nightmarelia

Made an account just for this, I'm very picky.

Hey guys, so I made an account just for this since I couldn't find anything good any more.

I am looking for a completed anime, not too long(less than 100), with drama, action, superpowers and maybe some romance. Sounds simple? Well, let me get into details.

You don't have to fill up all the requirement except for the first one.

- NO harem, ecchi, mecha, kiddy type animation or characters and no anime older than 2000. (This is a must)

- If there is romance, not those typical "omg he called me by my first name" or "Omg he is holding my hands" stuff, basically no kiddy romance, rather mature romance.

-Character development, Where a certain event actually changes the character for better or worse.

- Preferably containing a scene where the main character loses something important to him (his loved ones maybe?) and loses control and goes crazy unleashing his full power.

- Preferably set in school where the main characters powers are hidden from the public and eventually forced to use his power (Maybe in order to protect them) in front of the public.

- Don't want those anime where everyone is invincible and they never die or they always come back alive.

- Solid storyline, preferably with many plot twist where at the end I can be like "Omg, that why he/she did this'

No spoilers please

Yea, thats all I can think of for now, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nightmarelia; 2012-09-12 at 21:58.
nightmarelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 21:39   Link #2
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Should wait for the Madoka movies (the characterizations in the TV series are subtle... so I'm not sure if you'd like em)

As for Nanoha:

- NO harem, ecchi, mecha, kiddy type animation or characters and no anime older than 2000.
Ecchi is a minus

- If there is romance, not those typical "omg he called me by my first name" or "Omg he is holding my hands" stuff, basically no kiddy romance, rather mature romance.
There's none

-Character development, Where a certain event actually changes the character for better or worse.
There is

- Preferably containing a scene where the main character loses something important to him (his loved ones maybe?) and loses control and goes crazy unleashing his full power.
in the 2nd season, someone went crazy.

- Preferably set in school where the main characters powers are hidden from the public and eventually forced to use his power (Maybe in order to protect them) in front of the public.
Two normals saw everything

- Don't want those anime where everyone is invincible and they never die or they always come back alive.
They get pwned in the 2nd season (Nanoha gets pwned in the 1st season)

- Solid storyline, preferably with many plot twist where at the end I can be like "Omg, that why he/she did this'
A mother wanted her daughter back, she failed

Do I have to fill up all requirements btw?
Old 2012-09-12, 21:56   Link #3
nightmarelia

No you don't have to fill up all the requirement but the first one is a must :P

Sorry Im new to this, I should edit it.

Thank you for your suggestion though.
nightmarelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 22:52   Link #4
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I think Ao no exorcist fills out plenty of these requierements

Maybe Phantom:Requiem for the phantom,depends on how much supernatural powers are a must,the protagonist doesn't have any but he is the best assassin in the world,so he's still got crazy good skills.So it still in some ways leads to what you're asking for,for example at one point he attends a high school without other students knowing he's an assassin.
Old 2012-09-12, 23:01   Link #5
Tenza-Zangetsu

spice and wolf fits almost all of those requirements except the school setting and supernatural powers (excluding Holo's shape shifting),
Tenza-Zangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 23:06   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Don't know what you've seen so:

Madoka Magica: Drama, Action, Superpowers
Tiger & Bunny: Drama, Action, Superpowers
Crest of the Stars: Drama, Action
Full Metal Panic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 08:48   Link #7
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

slayers NEXT - It fits your criteria, in other words, it's a good anime with the characters and the storyline and everything. However it came out in 1995 or 1996 or something. It's on hulu.com so if you live in america, you can check it out (dubbed and subbed are on it). I personally thought ao no exorcist sucked balls with just everything (characters/storyline) so I say don't watch it.

But you know if you want to watch anime that has lackluster, mediocre characters/storylines just because it came out after 2000, go for it.

Welcome to the NHK! is also a very solid anime that came out in 2006 but maybe you alrady saw it. and if you didn't, it's also on hulu but only dubbed?

Maybe Kaleido Star? It might be childish? It's like enjoyable by any age so...

Gunslinger girl - premise is interesting. I don't remember if there were twists.

Planetes - I don't remember if there were twists but it was good. Like gunslinger girl, the premise was interesting.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:12   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’ll add some more addition .

You might wanna try Dance in the Vampire Bund & Busou Renkin. It has action, drama, superpowers, some romance, and there’s also school setting. Also, they’re not harem, no ecchi, no kiddy animation and not older than 2000s.

You might also try To Aru Majutsu no Index. Still, that anime is borderline harem but the super-power action and plot are still on the center stage.
Old 2012-09-13, 09:29   Link #9
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Death Note maybe? Pretty light on the action and no real romance but I think it fits the rest of the criteria fairly well. I will also second the recommendation of Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom as I think it fits these criteria better than anything else. (I think I have recommended this series more than any other just because it seems to fill a unique niche that people are always asking for yet tends to be rare in modern anime.)

I have to disagree with the recommendation of Nanoha though. It can technically fit some of those criteria but overall I think the tone is actually the complete opposite of what you're looking for and I feel it has a very strong "invincible characters" theme.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 11:59   Link #10
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

I'm Gunna go with GANTZ it has a lot of gore but I think it fits what your looking for haha
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 14:14   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The classic Twelve Kingdoms has just about everything in your list, though the school part lasts only an episode or so. After that the story shifts to the world of the Kingdoms.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-13, 16:05   Link #12
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Guilty Crown definitely fits your requirements so i strongly suggest you watch it. Hope you enjoy it!!
Old 2012-09-13, 17:24   Link #13
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (The Legend of the Legendary Heroes) and maybe Chrome Shelled Regios

Both fill at least the requirement for the first one and hiding their power.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 15:35   Link #14
SirAidan
yourSavior and 救済者

I think you should try

Demon King Daimao
This ugly yet beautiful world

I am not sure but try Darker than Black. it is a really good anime
what have you seen, or liked that fits your requirements?
Old 2012-09-20, 12:31   Link #15
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

I'll go ahead and plug in [C] - The Money of Soul and Possibility Control. Definitely meets the first requirement, the people involved in the supernatural goings on have to hide the situation they're in, main character's in college, 11 episodes. Storyline had some flaws and didn't develop some things as well as I'd have liked, but pretty solid overall.

Kara no Kyoukai might be worth looking into as well.
Old 2012-09-20, 17:40   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

His first requirement list really depends on what he thinks "ecchi" means.... technically, he's nearly bounced himself out of every anime made since 2000 if one is really strict about having no sexual elements at all.

Otherwise, I'm going to just blend the requirements and dump out the goo on the bottom and suggest:
Spice&Wolf and Toradora! (both romances are mature regardless of their settings, they involve rather complex people with faults, and the romance is long in development)

There's an old romantic comedy called REC!. Its short and involves two adults who start off with a night of passion after a very stressful event and then back into a romance. That's about as grownup as I've seen anime get in some regard (speaking as an actual grownup).

If you want action... there's a rather strange love story over a vast depth of time (involving a vampire) called Kurosuka. It has a seriously wtf ending but the journey and settings are fascinating. There is much blood...

Oh, there's a licensed anime series called, "Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit". Action, period setting, some super powers, very realistic, very mild romantic element. A spear-for-hire must protect a young prince with her various friends. The action sequences were fairly realistic (from my experience with combat re-enactments).