Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-01, 02:38   Link #1
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Looking for Quite a few Types of Anime

Meaningful
One of those that I would call "meaningful" is Black Jack, since it deals with life-and-death situations and is about saving people. I would really, really like more of this kind if anyone could recommend some to me.

Fantasy / Fantasy World / Magic / Adventure / Action
Like KIBA, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, or something like Avatar: The Last Airbender (even though Avatar is a product of US), I would like to watch more anime of these themes, but not with that many "dark elements" like Bokurano (which involves death and feels heavy). It doesn't have to be action-packed but at least it has to be fantasy.

Slice-of-Life
Toki o Kakeru Shōjo, or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a good example for this category. I'm also looking for more of this sort. As long as the anime involves everyday life (but keeps elements of magic and fantasy to a minimum) it will most probably be my target.

Ecchi / Moe / Cute
Well, I'm not perverted but ecchi anime are almost always funny. Recently I've watched Moetan, which is, although full of lolis, very ecchi and moe and cute, and funny. This kind of anime is also inside my list. But I do not prefer ecchi anime with, again, "dark elements" or serious issues like Kodomo no Jikan (which involves threats, somewhat weird slapstick, and trauma). When serious things and ecchi-ness mix together they give me a weird feeling (though perhaps not in every case). Certain anime like Midori no Hibi, which is also ecchi and funny but contains romance, can also be accepted.

That's all the different types of anime I'm looking for. I seriously need some recommendations.
Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Genstone; 2008-08-01 at 02:50.
Old 2008-08-01, 03:05   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Suzumiya Haruhi is fantasy + adventure + slice of life + moe... actually everything, including a large amount of science fiction. And has a meaningful story if you can see it.

Clannad covers slice of life and tons of moeness. Plays around with your emotions but you feel great at the end of the episode either by laughing out or crying your heart out. Must watch for the 2nd season is coming.

Fantasy + fantasy world + magic + adventure + action = Soul Eater, Meisters and Weapons, people who can accept each other work in pairs to hunt witches, who are people trying to ressurect/create the kishin(devil). Great comedy fun, action and bits of ecchi. One of the best anime this season.

Ecchi + moe + cute = To-Love-ru, 'healthy' ecchiness and lots of enjoyable fun. Random stuff happens just to give you a laugh when you need it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-08-01, 03:09   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

only gunna do one each for ya here...

Meaningful - Earth Maiden Arjuna is easily the most meaningful anime ever made.

Slice-of-life - Try ARIA, it's pretty much the ultimate slice-of-life.

fantasy world - I'm gunna go with Dennou Coil since I consider it the best light-hearted fantasy world story, though like Nanoha it's like our own world fantasy-fied.

ecchi-moeblob - not really ecchi at all but go for Ichigo Mashimaro
Old 2008-08-01, 03:40   Link #4
jedinat

Meaningful
Hachimitsu to Clover, Mushishi

Fantasy / Fantasy World / Magic / Adventure / Action
Juuni Kokuki (the best fantasy anime--I guess it can be a bit dark, but nothing like Bokurano)

Slice-of-Life
I second Aria (all three series). Mimi wo Sumaseba, Majo no Takkyuubin

Ecchi / Moe / Cute
Ichigo Mashimaro (fits slice of life or "cute"--also happens to be hilarious) ~edit~ Ah, I guess that one is a second as well ^^
Old 2008-08-01, 03:42   Link #5
signorRossi

Fantasy world / meaningful:
Nausicaa (have a look at the manga, it is a must), Juuni Kokuki (don't drop it just because the first episodes may seem well to known and beware that some main arc isn't concluded), Mononoke Hime (great visuals, story, pace and music). Spirited Away may also fit the bill, just don't expect to much story-wise. Last Exile has a great fantasy world setup, it's just that it would have benefited tremendously from some more episodes and some fine-tuning story-wise, I still liked it, though.

Bye, signorRossi.
Old 2008-08-01, 08:19   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genstone View Post
Meaningful
One of those that I would call "meaningful" is Black Jack, since it deals with life-and-death situations and is about saving people. I would really, really like more of this kind if anyone could recommend some to me.
Yomigaeru Sora - Rescue Wings might fit the bill. The show concerns people working in a helicopter rescue squadron.
Old 2008-08-01, 13:29   Link #7
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Wow.

Thanks for all the recommendations, and some of you have even inserted links! Thanks again.

I'll go and explore all of them.

Of course, I won't mind if suggestions keep coming in.
Old 2008-08-01, 17:01   Link #8
Niji

For meaningful I second Mushishi. Awesomest anime ever. Kino no Tabi is wonderful too. Wolf's Rain is a bit dark, but also one of the most meaningful anime I ever saw.

For fantasy / magic one of my other favorites: Shounen Onmiyouji. Apart of being beautifully made, glueing me to the screen, having great characters & char development, it is also an insight into friendship.

For action: Samurai Champloo and Kenichi. The later gets a nomination in the ecchi / cute category also.
Old 2008-08-02, 04:36   Link #9
maple
Anime Dai~Suki

Meaningful,Fantasy,Fantasy World,Magic,Adventure
a bit dark and drama but not the main theme.
Summer Days with Coo - comedy
Haibane Renmei - drama
Princess Tutu - the BEST magical girl.
Old 2008-08-02, 14:29   Link #10
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Thanks!!
I'll check them out.

By the way I've decided to get ARIA and maybe Ichigo Mashimaro too. Mushishi is also one that has caught my attention. But since my hard disk space is limited I'll have to choose wisely.
Old 2008-08-02, 23:10   Link #11
Theowne
耳をすませば

Honey and Clover is my definite recommendation, it is a slice-of-life/drama-comedy which is certainly meaningful, and one of the best anime series I've ever seen.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-08-03, 04:12   Link #12
Genstone
Eye in Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Honey and Clover is my definite recommendation, it is a slice-of-life/drama-comedy which is certainly meaningful, and one of the best anime series I've ever seen.
I've already watched it before on Cabal TV. Hope to find something newer.

Thanks by the way.
Closed Thread