AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-07-04, 18:12   Link #61
miscs
Flying Dumb-ass

(Trying my best not to sound like an a**hole) I probably wouldn't be here if I had allot of friends to discuss anime about. Using that piece of information I am forced to conclude that anime (at very least for me) is a lonely hobby.
miscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 03:05   Link #62
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
Aside from having other fans you can talk to online, does being an anime fan sometimes feel a little lonely? Anime seems to be a very unpopular hobby among many people who aren't fans, and I was wondering how you guys felt about that.

I guess being a fan, it can get pretty lonely. I don't have friends that are fans, so it's impossible for me to talk them about the latest anime I'm watching (because to them, all anime is weird).

But I do visit message boards, so that helps wash away that feeling.
yes <.<

Dont have any RL friends who are into it.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 03:13   Link #63
Cipher

I think anime is deeply a lonely pastime...usually. I've been having anime marathons lately( a week of just watching). And after all that "fun", everything felt empty. That is why i decided to take a break. I felt normal after that. But then i started my marathons again. I feel empty, emotionless, dull, sucked, its like i've been taking drugs.

Pleasure is not good, Happiness is.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 04:11   Link #64
Amon81

I've never feel empty after a marathon, I am normally happy that thats another full series I've seen, and just knackered too. I've only ever once watched a marathon with the mate I mentioned earlier and it was ony 12 episodes. It was great that we could talk about it for a few hours as it turned out, but we never really spoke of it again. To me I'm not really all that bothered if I get to talk about if or not, end of the day its me that just saw it and I can think about what I just saw, or visit forums and chat that way to see other peoples oppions.

I like marathons when I'm on holiday from work as its a great way to pass the time and you can finally get through some of the dvds that are rapidly piling up. Plus I find its a good way to notice suttle thing that keep popping up in different episodes again and again.

Also take something like Genshiken, I totally get it and love it to bits. None of the people I know would get it, well they would from a just watching a group if fans in a club. But they wouldn't get it from the target audience's otaku piont of view.
Amon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 04:20   Link #65
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon81 View Post
I've never feel empty after a marathon, I am normally happy that thats another full series I've seen, and just knackered too. I've only ever once watched a marathon with the mate I mentioned earlier and it was ony 12 episodes. It was great that we could talk about it for a few hours as it turned out, but we never really spoke of it again. To me I'm not really all that bothered if I get to talk about if or not, end of the day its me that just saw it and I can think about what I just saw, or visit forums and chat that way to see other peoples oppions.

I like marathons when I'm on holiday from work as its a great way to pass the time and you can finally get through some of the dvds that are rapidly piling up. Plus I find its a good way to notice suttle thing that keep popping up in different episodes again and again.

Also take something like Genshiken, I totally get it and love it to bits. None of the people I know would get it, well they would from a just watching a group if fans in a club. But they wouldn't get it from the target audience's otaku piont of view.
Try a 600+ episodes marathon; just laying on the bed watching anime with the tv above and over your head facing towards you, telling others to put food at your side, positioning yourself near the bathroom and watching an anime, although very boring, is forcing you to watch more because without it...it'll feel like something's missing...maybe its just MY problem. ugh, i need a break...nah..
Old 2009-07-06, 04:24   Link #66
Theowne
耳をすませば

I know a lot of anime fans. But I don't know anyone who likes the kind of anime that I do. And I certainly don't know anyone who discusses as deeply their reactions and emotions regarding some anime. Anime is a lonely hobby if you want to talk about more than Death Note, Naruto, or Code Geass. That's partly why I have a blog....because I have things to say about series that affect me deeply and no one to tell it to.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 05:37   Link #67
Amon81

Yes that is a very good point! I tend to like the more obscure title so that is very much my case too. I'm not one for the shows more aimed at 12 year olds, some maybe but the likes of Naruto and Pokemon nevr did it for me. Although watching pokemon one morning while in japan was interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Try a 600+ episodes marathon; just laying on the bed watching anime with the tv above and over your head facing towards you, telling others to put food at your side, positioning yourself near the bathroom and watching an anime, although very boring, is forcing you to watch more because without it...it'll feel like something's missing...maybe its just MY problem. ugh, i need a break...nah..
Er, No . The most I've ever done is all of Great Teacher Onizuka at 43 episodes with no sleep. I was spent. I also never force myself to watch something, if after one or two episodes (sometimes four) and I still dont like it I tend to give up on it.

Also have you ever though of getting help of some kind
Old 2009-07-06, 05:47   Link #68
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon81 View Post
Yes that is a very good point! I tend to like the more obscure title so that is very much my case too. I'm not one for the shows more aimed at 12 year olds, some maybe but the likes of Naruto and Pokemon nevr did it for me. Although watching pokemon one morning while in japan was interesting.

Er, No . The most I've ever done is all of Great Teacher Onizuka at 43 episodes with no sleep. I was spent. I also never force myself to watch something, if after one or two episodes (sometimes four) and I still dont like it I tend to give up on it.

Also have you ever though of getting help of some kind
Ahahaha..i'll take that advice.
Old 2009-07-06, 06:02   Link #69
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

No because I got to meet alot of people due to anime.
Old 2009-07-06, 07:33   Link #70
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Man, this sounds depressing.

I usually watch anime with my friends. We'd watch the same animes, sometimes different, and try to convince each other to watch the ones we like.

Like my friend tried to convince me to watch K-On! while I convinced him to watch Gundam 00.

Sometimes we'd sit together and watch sometimes separate, but ultimately it'll come up in our conversations. I wouldn't really call it a lonely past time. Finding a girl who would actually sit down and watch an episode of anime with me is hard though, unless it's something internationally recognized like Miyazaki.

Anime as a hobby is not as lonely as fapping !
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 11:03   Link #71
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Go find anime communities or clubs that are in your area. You'll be suprised how popular anime is despite it not being mainstream.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 12:18   Link #72
Amon81

No good for me, sadly as I'd like to goto one.

I've looked around me and there one and its about a 45 mile round trip. They post what they are watching and its stuff I didn't like when it came out 3 years ago, so not a whole lot of point going, plus they want £10 every week, which they know where they can stick that idea.

Plus they finish the club at 11pm, just the time I start work about 35 mile away.

There are a few others about but noting that would make me want to go there.
Old 2009-07-06, 12:25   Link #73
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Nope. I talk about anime and manga with my uni friends.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 12:39   Link #74
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

For me? Yeah it is for me because I choose to make it one. If I'm watching an anime on my computer and someone(usually a younger sibling) asks what I'm watching, I usually give a really vague answer or click on on another tab and say, "Nothin".
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 17:30   Link #75
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

If I was not posting this post and watch anime and visual novels (bishoujo games) all day, then I won't have a life... But anime is actually not a lonely hobby since there are slot of people you can find that talk about it... especially on social networks

So no, it's not a lonely hobby.
Old 2009-07-14, 09:45   Link #76
wjr
JiRo
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to wjr
Lonely??? Your Gonna be kidding me You Guys in Animesuki Tells me i am not alone Cmon Ppl Enjoy this! I have lots of classmates RL also watch anime haha so we have conversations to start.
wjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 17:16   Link #77
killer911
Hikikomori

All of my friends are "otakus" like me. I'm also in my highschool's anime club, so I can talk about anime to my clubmembers and friends.
killer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 17:37   Link #78
npcomplete

You could probably find more people to talk to about Lost or Heroes or any other TV show than all of anime combined. So it's hard to randomly come meet people on the street who watches anime. That said, it's still not that hard to find other people who watch anime:

http://anime.meetup.com - 125 Groups and 15,625 Members in 100 cities so far

and http://otakubooty.com with 19,744 Members so far
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 18:09   Link #79
Draw it blank
Lazy Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to Draw it blank
This is defiantly not a lonely hobby,
For anyone who's ever been to a convention, you meet so many people who for some odd reason you get along with. same goes for anime club's, local anime watching places, hell even in a library you can meet an otaku. (or at least in Chicago)
That being said If anyone wants to stop talking online to anime fan's and meet some in real life. just go to a place where anime is present. simple!
Or at least it works for me!
Draw it blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 18:25   Link #80
~A~
Good Game.

Well watching anime could be a lonely hobby for me it is since i sit here on this chair and watch animes but some times i do watch it with my sister so its kind of a unanswerable question for me hehe ...
~A~ is offline   Reply With Quote