AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-30, 05:27   Link #1
TheShadow

Serial Experiments Lain

Does anybody know if there is any difference between the already released Lain DVDs and the Lain Geneon signature series edition DVDs that are coming out? I had a look at Geneon's website, but that didn't make me any wiser.

I recently placed an order for the Lain boxset from dvdpacific.com, but have yet to have my order fullfilled as it is on back order. The new release made me ponder if it actually had something new to it or if it is purely a marketing gimmic.
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 05:32   Link #2
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

No difference at all, as far as I know. In order to help people learn their new name, Geneon is slowly rereleasing some of their older series with a very low pricepoint. Content should be exactly the same.

It is entirely possible the original printings are no longer produced, but if you can find the old discs, there shouldn't be a significant difference.
Old 2004-01-31, 04:52   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

There's the unattractive "Signature " banner on the cover, though, no?
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 21:47   Link #4
kakumei ella

i know in my store it's just a promotion for the company to make people aware of the name change.

there's absolutely no difference, just the ugly banner and the 10$ discount. the same on tenchi in tokyo, trigun, and some other popular series' first discs. my guess is they're just putting out the first in a popular series, i'm not sure they'll follow up with the rest at the reduced price so your best bet is stick with the boxed set you've ordered.
kakumei ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-01, 23:02   Link #5
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

Kakumei: they're following through on all DVDs.

Word of advice: buy your unaltered front covers NOW if that's what you want. Don't wait.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 11:13   Link #6
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
Question i need help in lain...

OKAY.... I need HELP I have no frickin clue what lain is about... I watch ALL the episodes, and the more i watch the more confused i got ......... SO if anyone have any "theorys", please do tell
xxziggybitsxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 11:17   Link #7
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Moved the thread to DVD & Licensed and renamed it (was: i need help in lain...).
Old 2004-03-04, 11:37   Link #8
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I have the same problem, and fell asleep after 3 eppy's then threw away the files.
Lain is boring and the story it's LAME not Lain.... -_o

I got most of the storyline explained by someone who watched everything. And it still doesn't make sense O.o
Shinobu_Maehara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 15:15   Link #9
Lina
moo.

I like Lain. Really makes you think. I was confused as well so I looked around on the net and basically there's many different theories floating around and most people will tell you however you interpret is the right way. However, I usually go by what the producers say in some of their interviews about it.

Here's a nice site for ya.
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/open.htm
Includes the interviews and I agree with most of this guy's theories. Like...

Spoiler:
Lina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 15:36   Link #10
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

I hated Lain. First off, I thought it was boring, but not hate-worthy. Then I met with legions of people who kept telling how incredible it was.

Stop fooling yourselves. It's not THAT good. If you don't see the whole thing coming from episode 1...and you enjoy trying to piece it all together, I can see enjoying this. However, if you're like me, and you don't like things being pounded into your head for 3+ hours...this isn't such a work of art anymore.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 15:44   Link #11
7thMethuselah

the first time I watched Lain I didn't like it all that much because I didn't get it at all, but then i looked up some forums, read some theories and then watched the entire series in one session, stopping the dvd from time to time to make notes, and guess what I love it, it's full of references from one episode to another, and understanding it really helps if you know how it all will end. To me this is still a small masterpeice but it takes quite some effort to enjoy the show, It's not recommended for anyone who doesn't wanna put his brain mode on overdrive and being tired and drunk isn't also the best way to watch lain.

About explanations , it's been at least half a year since I saw lain and i really forgot most of the (complicated) plot so sorry, i'm no real help.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 15:59   Link #12
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
It's not recommended for anyone who doesn't wanna put his brain mode on overdrive
That's wrong right there. Most of the people I know who don't like this like it far less because they TRIED to go and search for all this symbolism they were missing, when it turned out they already GOT everything and all the subtleties weren't subtle at all...

Like all the annoying body part bits at the end of the episodes. Yeah...we understand already...like 8 body parts ago.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 16:05   Link #13
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I read one "analysis" of Lain stating that it was a rejection of Western culture. It went on to break down certain "symbols" (like Lain's bear suit) and so on. The analysis was a bit intimidating because the writer was unwilling to restrain his pan-Asian chauvinism; the whole piece sort of had a label on it which read "stop reading this you lousy gaijin."

It is good to remember that shows like Lain do not necessarily connect all the dots. Evangelion was successfully vague and tried to be open-ended (before a massive outcry caused the movies to be made). This "formula" was imitated quite a few times over the next few years. If a series in itself fails to entertain then it is obviously lacking something for the person who is unamused.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-04, 16:49   Link #14
Lambda

Two very important things to remember about Lain:

1) Lain is not just an anime. What you have with Lain is an anime, a PSX game, a short manga and some artwork. The idea being that these are all part of the same thing, components of some sort of "meta-media-thing" (which doesn't really have a general name because they're not commonly enough discussed to get into the English language). They're not really primarily designed to function alone. (It's nothing remotely like the Evangelion model.)

2) Plot in Lain is only locally important. If you look at these components which are part of the same thing, you'll notice immediately that the plotting in one will blatantly contradict another with no compunction. (For example, the second most important character in the anime, Arisu, doesn't exist in the game.) None of the goals that its creators were pursuing really has anything to do with conveying plot, the plotting is best seen as a narrative necessity to create a medium in which the important things can be done.

If you want to get a better sense for what Lain is trying to do, try asking yourself what it "feels like".
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 14:19   Link #15
Lord_Rava

The way I see it for Lain, You will get the most out of it if you ty to interprit it your self with out going and hunting for all the answers on the net or where ever, They intentionly leave things like this for you to work out your self and come to your own conclution. Once you have your own conclution then discuss it with others. This way it becomes a great anime that keeps going after you have watched it.

anyway, thats how I see it, you may disagree but then thats your choice. And if you dont like anime like that then you probably will hate Lain.

(Did any of this make sense at all) - sorry been drinking
Lord_Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-05, 15:51   Link #16
Secca
nya`
*Artist

If you don't like thinking, how about trying a different aproach. ^^

This is a psychology type anime, so to be able to enjoy it, you need an undivided attention. So try this method. Watch it alone, turn off the lights, watch the episodes non stop if you have the endurance.

Don't try to think when watching, instead just dive in and flow. You can dig up refference etc later after you finish watching, but the most importantly when watching Lain is to feel and experience the world of Lain. What kind of impression did you feel after watching Lain?
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 09:24   Link #17
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Send a message via AIM to ClancyDamon
Serial Experiements Lain = MindF**k

Wow. Well, I've had my entire realm of sensiblities utterly destroyed by Lain. I don't think I've ever seen anything that sad, disturbing, scary, depressing, unnerving, relatable, tense, intelligent, emotionally scarring, or et al. Lain makes Eva look like a child's coloring book, and I love Eva. Ok, I need to regain some vistage of sanity. That will be hard after the Alien in the door in episode 9, which is the scariest thing I've ever seen (I've got this thing about aliens stemming from E.T. ...don't ask). What I want to know is if anyone can direct me to some good analytical sites concerning this anime. I've already found one called Serial Thoughts Lain (The URL escapes me at the moment) it's frickin' amazing how deeply it delves. Still, I need multiple perspectives.

Or, better yet, maybe you guys have your own thoughts. I'd love to know what other people feel about Lain. I'm seriously stressed out by it all. I need to talk to someone! Everyone I know gave up after 3 episodes at most, citing they just couldn't take it. I thought they were crazy.

Alright, I'm not crazy, I'm just interested in discovering more about the symbology and philosophy, and hopefully getting some things put into perspective and just simply discussed with someone. Thanks.

"Close the World,
txeN eht nepO"
ClancyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 10:47   Link #18
husyk
Stupid Flanders! (Homer)

Send a message via MSN to husyk Send a message via Yahoo to husyk
I just finished watching Lain yesterday. It was very interesting indeed, its very psychological, makes you think. Its not as confusing as Evangellion thats for sure. I don't fully understand what Lain is, but if I'm not mistaken. In the end, she has removed herself from everyone's memories in both the real world and the wired, and she ends up being a like a wandering entity that can coexist in both the real world and the wired.
husyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 14:01   Link #19
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Lain is a cross between Rizlemine and Ayu from Kanon...hope that helps
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 14:12   Link #20
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
Lain isn't for the intellectually wimpy. Not everyone who watches anime is smart. Hence the Lain bashing.

If you're the jock type, then don't go for this because you will merely get bored or annoyed.

However, if you're mature enough to not mind if the story isn't nicely and neatly explained to you on a silver platter (complete with stupid angst and cliched material), then you might give it a try.
STfan is offline   Reply With Quote