AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-15, 12:06   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Death Note - Speculation & Theories (for first time viewers)

This thread is aimed at first time viewers of Death Note and its purpose is to allow spoiler free speculation and theories to be aired. Having them in a central location may help focus the discussion instead of spreading speculation over the various episode discussion threads. If you are knowledgeable of the manga and wish to speculate or discuss theories, then please do not post in this thread (use the Death Note - Spoilers & Speculation thread) and do not give away any spoilers in this thread!

Acceptable post topics
Personal theories, speculation, guesses and such. No spoiler tags required.
Posting magazine previews (such as from Animage). Spoiler tags required.

Unacceptable post topics
Any form of spoiler from Death Note manga.

Please make sure you use spoiler tags when making posts concerning the second topic above! Also provide where the source of such speculation come from if at all possible (i.e. "Animeage") and identify any spoiler tags with the use of the subject title (see the paragraph below how to do this). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban for the poster as will any unacceptable speculation or facts from the Death Note manga. Please use the Report button if you see any unmarked spoilers.

If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.

Spoiler tag examples
[spoiler] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler:

[spoiler=subject title] Text to be hidden [/spoiler] becomes
Spoiler for subject title:

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread if it's just discussion about the current or previous episodes.
Old 2007-01-25, 01:59   Link #2
djc89

Delete this if I am right...I don't want to ruin it for anyone >_>.
Spoiler for Maybe...:
Old 2007-01-25, 12:57   Link #3
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc89 View Post
Delete this if I am right...I don't want to ruin it for anyone >_>.
Spoiler for Maybe...:

My question is are the memories erased permantly, forever? Or if she recieves the DN again, her memories will return?
Spoiler for speculation:

We still don't know what's his plan is to release Misa. All we can asume is that Misa lost her memories and will be confused with L's interegation. That means L and Light are basically tied again.

Anyways, for L bondaging Misa up? I think thats agreable because remember Waturi was in the same room as her. L, still doesn't know about Death Notes.
Old 2007-01-27, 15:49   Link #4
Fome

Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-27, 18:30   Link #5
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I have a few questions regarding Fome's observation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome View Post
Spoiler:
Wouldn't that raise some suspicion about Misa, suddenly, not knowing anyting? She has been pretty tight lipped all this time from L's point of view. She has also begged them to kill her, almost as if, she would rather die than talk. Now, when she genuinely displays signs of not knowing anything due to her sudden amnesia, wouldn't that raise some eyebrows? L also seemed to notice that Misa's loose hair in front of her forehead lifted itself up for a brief second.

Quote:
Spoiler:
But it was said in front of Sochiru and others that, when the two-Kira's meet together, an attempt on his life will happen. It was also understood that original Kira will also be using the copy-cat Kira to kill L. Since the lesser Kira is now in custody, perhaps, the attempt to kill L will be delayed?

Quote:
Spoiler:
I confess, I'm confused.

Light has already pointed out that even if the police catches them, they won't be able to do anything if there is no Death Note. I believe what ever evidence the police are getting, don't amount to much. They have to prove Light or Misa did infact kill those people. So my question is: what physical evidence?
Old 2007-01-27, 21:23   Link #6
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

L pretty much wins and loses. Like the clues that Monir mentioned. And what Fome said, Misa will lose her memories and that won't help L. L also got some physical evidence such as the videotape and Misa's clothes from the disguise.

So this brings up that L will eventually have to let Misa go. I know L wants to keep her still, but now that Misa knows nothing he has little choice. There won't be any gain to keep her locked up since she permantly lost her memories. This brings bad reputation with L, but maybe L has a higher authority that would keep her lock up. I think L is already conviced she is the second kira. Now the question is how will he be able to capture the main Kira.
Old 2007-01-27, 23:23   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I see! That is a possibility. It will be interesting to find out how exactly Light will execute his plan to jolt L in any manner. L is still the power figure where this investigation is concerned. Light is a mere consultant if you will. Good explanation! Really looking forward to the next episode now.
Old 2007-01-28, 16:08   Link #8
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I

Wouldn't that raise some suspicion about Misa, suddenly, not knowing anyting? She has been pretty tight lipped all this time from L's point of view. She has also begged them to kill her, almost as if, she would rather die than talk. Now, when she genuinely displays signs of not knowing anything due to her sudden amnesia, wouldn't that raise some eyebrows? L also seemed to notice that Misa's loose hair in front of her forehead lifted itself up for a brief second.

Well, she never admited that she knows anything, so that part would not change anything... the reason she begged to be killed because she could not stand the condition she was in (being denied water(and most likely food as well) for 3 days, + other things Watari had been doing to her...

it seems much more like "Kill me, because i can't take it" than "kill me, because i won't talk anyway".
Old 2007-01-28, 17:02   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Well, she never admited that she knows anything, so that part would not change anything... the reason she begged to be killed because she could not stand the condition she was in (being denied water(and most likely food as well) for 3 days,
I'll have to rewatch episode 15, but I believe a statement from the episode mentions that Misa hasn't eaten anything! It seems to indicate that she has been given food, but she chooses not to eat.
Quote:
+ other things Watari had been doing to her...
I'll keep my imagination in check since I tend to run away with it to a dark corner. There was also a mention of S&M doujin in the episode discussion thread. Either way, I'm starting to believe Watari is capable of anything L wants of him, although I still can't see it as a physical torture from the way it was presented in the episode. She is most definitely under a lot of strain, but that burden of strain seems to be affecting her psyche more than anything. Probably she understands she will break down sooner or later which is why her plea to Rem was to kill her. Rem was able to calm her down once Misa was provided with the alternate solution where she would willingly give up her notebook, and as a result, would erase her memory.

Quote:
it seems much more like "Kill me, because i can't take it" than "kill me, because i won't talk anyway".
This is a very good point. We can interpret those spoken words in various manner as to how it is heard from L's perspective. At this point, I suppose any interpretation to those spoken words are correct.
Old 2007-01-28, 17:43   Link #10
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I'll keep my imagination in check since I tend to run away with it to a dark corner. There was also a mention of S&M doujin in the episode discussion thread. Either way, I'm starting to believe Watari is capable of anything L wants of him, although I still can't see it as a physical torture from the way it was presented in the episode.
*cough*

Well, we saw him putting on gloves, while standing next to a table with various chemicals... what those were is any one's guess, but i am willing to bet all i have, and then some, on the fact that he was not about to prepare a refreshing drink for her

Remember - L said to do anything to make her talk, minus killing her... so while it probably is not physical torture, i bet those chemicals are definitely not something a doctor would recommend you.
Old 2007-01-28, 18:53   Link #11
Lendial

torturing her was an awful thing to do, she is just drunk with love. who knew the old man was capable of bondage and and injections on a little girl . towards the end light says "goodbye ryuuk", does this mean what i think it means.
Old 2007-02-06, 12:52   Link #12
Jaden

Hey, yo, I just thought of something crazy. Now that Light lost all memories about the Death Note, there's a chance that he will fail to retrieve it, or when he gets the chance to retrieve it, choose not to. Which means that Light could turn good! Unlikely, but it could happen? yesno?
Old 2007-02-06, 15:02   Link #13
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk
I considered that and as cool as the idea of Light/L working together to find what they think is the real Kira (but who is in fact the 3rd,4th,5th,etc... kira) i dont see this as something Light would ever want. Even before he received the death note he had an idea of what the world should be like which lead him to becoming Kira. All in all i would expect him to somehow find the book again and start all over

So with that in mind its why i reckon he has some fail safe in mind and it will kick in soon. How soon? no idea, could be next episode or maybe 10 episodes down the line.

Well thats my theory anyway
Old 2007-02-14, 23:57   Link #14
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

All I can speculate now, after the tone down of the suspense in the last episodes, is that there will be some big twist that will come to shock us all. I am asumming that the creator will purposely do this. When will this happen? Probably now for awhile. But I think around episode 26 or almost near the end like 30. It is inevitable that Light will recieve his Death Note back as I assume he had a plan before he told Ryukk to leave. Or else, why would Rem give the Death Note to those Corperation guys?

A very crazy assumption that I came up would be that most of the events right now are stringed or part of Light's plan to get his Death Note back. Very paranoid, eh? You can say Light have already foreseen everything. Right now L, is already getting a bad feeling of finding the Kira, I assume he thinks it is a trap. Thus, he lost some motivation. While Light purposely left his motivation of finding Kira for himself. However, L is still comencing the search because nothing will reveal itself unless he gets to work.

And then my friend told me that if you know all the rules of Death Note you can almost predict Light's plan. I stayed back from looking it up because I don't want spoiliers.

Ah, I love speculation. I love seeing what I got right and wrong.

Last edited by psycho bolt; 2007-02-15 at 11:41.
Old 2007-02-27, 02:21   Link #15
rem

What I've been wondering is if Light will still be able to see Rem, since he touched Misa's Death Note, even though he's forgotten about his own. And will Misa still be able to see Ryuk after touching Light's Note? I'm thinking that somehow one of the Death Gods will trigger some major plot twist... I'm hoping that happens, because the series has slowed and dumbed down waaaay too much in the last several episodes!
Old 2007-03-03, 11:37   Link #16
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Light gave up on Misa's Death Note, and also his Death Note, so he can't remember anything about them.
Old 2007-03-07, 19:35   Link #17
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem View Post
What I've been wondering is if Light will still be able to see Rem, since he touched Misa's Death Note, even though he's forgotten about his own. And will Misa still be able to see Ryuk after touching Light's Note? I'm thinking that somehow one of the Death Gods will trigger some major plot twist... I'm hoping that happens, because the series has slowed and dumbed down waaaay too much in the last several episodes!
seems like you're right about the Death God triggering a plot twist. Very surprsing.
Old 2007-03-08, 01:01   Link #18
rem

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho bolt View Post
seems like you're right about the Death God triggering a plot twist. Very surprsing.
I'm kind of surprised myself But I couldn't think of any other way that the chars could be reunited with their respective Death Notes... Am curious to see if Light gets his back.
Old 2007-04-10, 00:37   Link #19
Keirn

This is jumping way ahead, I know, but I think the way the anime will end is that Misa will kill Light. And he deserves it if she does. Although I think Light is good, I still hate how he manipulates someone who loves him (Misa), and has no feelings for her but pretends he does. But from the last few episodes I kinda had the feeling that he was developing some feelings for Misa... so I dunno >.<
Closed Thread