AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Itachi - Hero or Villain? Or something else?
Hero 80 36.53%
Anti-Hero 46 21.00%
Other 24 10.96%
Villain 19 8.68%
Anti-Villain 50 22.83%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-24, 14:22   Link #41
ChojinLocke
Year 2
*Author

I am inclined to agree he might be considered anti villain.

Here is my complete answer:

Anti hero for the Uchihas
Anti villain for the rest of the narutoland
ChojinLocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 12:40   Link #42
Alchemist007
*Author

You know...the closest I've come to crying in Naruto is probably ch 400 pg 11-12. Reminds me of my own little brother.
Old 2009-10-09, 20:34   Link #43
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

For me, Itachi is a hero, insofar as the nobility of his goal. How he chose to go about achieving that goal can be seen as villainous (as it certainly was), but the goal is what's important, in my eyes.

This is best illustrated in his fight with Sasuke, particularly the end. I suspect that, as soon as he saw Sasuke, Itachi knew that Orochimaru was inside him, looking for an opportunity to get out. My suspicion is that Itachi's thinking was something to the effect of "Well, fuck. I can't do what I came here to do, because I have to kill Orochimaru now." Had that situation not transpired, I suspect Itachi would have been able to convince Sasuke that what he did in the past was a necessary evil to eradicate the far greater evil of the present.

My guess is that Itachi knew that he could not defeat Madara, but saw that ability in Sasuke. He had planned to try and explain that to Sasuke, but was unable to do so because of the whole Orochimaru situation. As it stands now, we know that Sasuke has, essentially, become Madara's pupil, which I consider to be precisely the opposite effect Itachi intended.

Brutal though his tactics were, I think that his end-game had the best intentions in mind. While I realize "the road to hell is paved with good intentions," I respect Itachi's attempt to quell this evil through the means he thought most appropriate, and consider it unfortunate circumstance that his plans could not fully come to fruition.
Old 2009-10-09, 21:11   Link #44
iBeast

Probably the most bad ass character in Naruto...Ever.
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:46   Link #45
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Itachi was a hero, but the whole story behind his actions was rather retarded and forced. Dissapointing explanation for one of Naruto's great mysteries which people have been waiting years and years to find out the answer to.
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:50   Link #46
Alchemist007
*Author

I don't think it was a disappointment, just tragic. I don't think it's dissapointing because before it was revealed, I always found it fishy that someone that smart, calm, and caring could turn that quickly. I always figured there was a motive that was rational.
Old 2009-10-10, 02:08   Link #47
clawer123

he's a hero
anonymously, a tragic one..
RIP ITACHI
clawer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 05:40   Link #48
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Idk, there was definite badass points with him slaughtering his entire clan just to test out his power! He didnt need the lame goal of ruling the world, but the awesome indifference of how strong he can be...!

No one has even cared to explain why Itachi chose to mind fuck both Kakashi and Sasuke when at the time they where both devoted Konoha Ninjas - the village he was so meant to dearly love.

Its kind of like Kisihi made him badass/heartless on his first appearance and then added the "twist" of him caring of the village - without the explanation of his actions with Kakashi and Sauske. Explain Kishsi! Thats why I call shenanigans or BS!!!

That or hes a tragic and kinda dumbass hero...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 05:49   Link #49
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
Idk, there was definite badass points with him slaughtering his entire clan just to test out his power! He didnt need the lame goal of ruling the world, but the awesome indifference of how strong he can be...!

No one has even cared to explain why Itachi chose to mind fuck both Kakashi and Sasuke when at the time they where both devoted Konoha Ninjas - the village he was so meant to dearly love.

Its kind of like Kisihi made him badass/heartless on his first appearance and then added the "twist" of him caring of the village - without the explanation of his actions with Kakashi and Sauske. Explain Kishsi! Thats why I call shenanigans or BS!!!

That or hes a tragic and kinda dumbass hero...
He did that to Kakashi to keep up his fascade. Only the Hokage knew about Itachi's real nature. He didn't want to arise suspicion. Notice after Kakashi was tortured in the fight he commented after the ordeal "Why did he stop? He could have easily killed me if he wanted". It would have been easy for Itachi to kill Kakashi with Tsukiyomi. But he didn't.

As for sasuke, the explanation is that he did that to fuel sasuke's growth. He wanted sasuke to grow as powerful as possible, as soon as possible. The best way to ensure that was to fill him with the lust for revenge against Itachi
The-Wolf-Of-Mibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 07:07   Link #50
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wolf-Of-Mibu View Post
He did that to Kakashi to keep up his fascade. Only the Hokage knew about Itachi's real nature. He didn't want to arise suspicion. Notice after Kakashi was tortured in the fight he commented after the ordeal "Why did he stop? He could have easily killed me if he wanted". It would have been easy for Itachi to kill Kakashi with Tsukiyomi. But he didn't.

As for sasuke, the explanation is that he did that to fuel sasuke's growth. He wanted sasuke to grow as powerful as possible, as soon as possible. The best way to ensure that was to fill him with the lust for revenge against Itachi
Well werent the effects of Tsukiyomi irreversible except for ONE person in the entire Ninja world? He basically took both ninjas out for in what could easily have been a never ending coma.

The fact that Sauske hates Konoha village didnt work too well for Itachi's plan of saving the village either? lol

If he could make up anything in Sauske's mind wouldnt the easiest thing to put was Madara as the person behind the massacre of his clan...after all he did help/ was behind the events of that night. Sasuke could have been training just as strong, (well lucky the 5th Hokage came back otherwise he would still be in the hospital) knowing another Sharingan user was behind his clans destruction.

Logically its so messed up it could easily have been that Kishi, change his mind long after those events and decided to give Itachi a "heart"...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 10:34   Link #51
AuroraFlash
good-natured spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to AuroraFlash Send a message via MSN to AuroraFlash
Who said he was a hero? ^^
Quote:
In fiction, an antihero[1] (feminine: antiheroine) is a protagonist whose character or goals are antithetical to traditional heroism. The term dates to 1714[2], although literary criticism identifies the trope in earlier literature. [3]
That makes him an antihero, I guess.
Old 2009-10-18, 19:58   Link #52
Akatsuki member Tobi
*Artist

u people really think thet he is a hero no offense but he's a traiter to the akatsuki and it makes me angry thet he betray my uncle tobi..... grrr!!!!!!
Akatsuki member Tobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 20:18   Link #53
Alchemist007
*Author

lol .
Old 2009-10-18, 23:12   Link #54
Crisis7

He may had noble goals, but what he did to achieve it does not make him a hero. Joining up and helping a megalomaniac in his goals for world domination and destruction, killing his entire family and clan, destroying several lives under orders of Madara and Pein. He is not quite anti-hero or anti-villain, he seems to be in between. He cannot be a hero or a villain for certain.
Crisis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 02:56   Link #55
SpecialK

Quite honestly, Itachi does not fit the definition of an anti-hero. First of all, an anti-hero is a protagonist who achieves goals and realizes ambitions that are the antithesis to that of a hero. Kishi establishes Itachi as an antagonist from the very start of the series, ergo he does not fit the bill of an anti-hero. He does, on the other hand, fit the bill for an anti-villain:

an antagonist who achieves goals and realizes ambitions that are the antithesis of a villain.

Really, all the discussion has been about is how much of a badass Itachi is, and essentially what his intentions are. This definition sufficiently establishes Itachi as an anti-villain. He is an antagonist, his goals are contrary to that of the two main antagonists of the series, which accounts for a portion of the anti-hero defintion. The outcome is not what he would have wished, that much is certain. But the implications of his chosen outcome was that he was never truly loyal to Akatsuki, or even the Uchiha clan, but rather he chose to remain loyal to Konoha; which is a direct contradiction to the where the loyalties of Madara, Orochimaru, and the rest of Akatsuki lie.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 15:56   Link #56
Corn
Gotta kill 'em all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
Quite honestly, Itachi does not fit the definition of an anti-hero. First of all, an anti-hero is a protagonist who achieves goals and realizes ambitions that are the antithesis to that of a hero. Kishi establishes Itachi as an antagonist from the very start of the series, ergo he does not fit the bill of an anti-hero. He does, on the other hand, fit the bill for an anti-villain:

an antagonist who achieves goals and realizes ambitions that are the antithesis of a villain.

Really, all the discussion has been about is how much of a badass Itachi is, and essentially what his intentions are. This definition sufficiently establishes Itachi as an anti-villain. He is an antagonist, his goals are contrary to that of the two main antagonists of the series, which accounts for a portion of the anti-hero defintion. The outcome is not what he would have wished, that much is certain. But the implications of his chosen outcome was that he was never truly loyal to Akatsuki, or even the Uchiha clan, but rather he chose to remain loyal to Konoha; which is a direct contradiction to the where the loyalties of Madara, Orochimaru, and the rest of Akatsuki lie.
Yes, at the end of the day, I too think that Itatchi is an Atagonist.

Naruto is the main protagonist in the series. He is setting the bar. He is a naive character who would never kill an innocent person even if he was put into a difficult position like killing one to save a million.

Itatchi is the oppesite of this, and therefore he is the atagonist. It's the age old question we see allot in Asian stories; Kill a few to save many?

The movie Hero comes to mind, in which Jet Li plays a almost Immortal-like Warrior who has to make a choice of weather to assassinate the Emperor of the most powerful Dynasty in the east, or let the Emperor go through with his plan and unify China under one banner to end Wars. Dying for the greater good.

Itatchi is tragic as he puts all the pain on his shoulders.

I wondered why such a cleaver strategist and Genjutsu user did not try more, to play Danzo and the Uchiha clan up against each other, or re-concile with the Third in a way, that both would be exposed.
I guess you could argue that if that would happen, there would Riots and War within Konoha, and it would end with Death.
I just think that such a smart person(perhaps the smartest in the Series.. Even more than Shikamaru) would be able to find away.

Killing your entire Clan is so drastic and extreme. I don't know if it was too much for his characters motivation, but I loved the way he had set everything up, and how he gave Sasuke all those things, like the black flames and set up the traps for Madera. It was a great setup that showed Itatchis genius.

He was laid back, incredible skilled and admired by everybody. His demise was the fall of a person who struggled his entire life with the skills that was given to him.

In that sense, Madera's fall is much more tragic. As he celebrated himself, became bitter and was a loser and nr. 2 in many ways. If you think about it, Madera is ultimately much more of a bad bad guy.

There was explanations and flawed logics and ideologies for everybody from Orochimaru to Pain to Zabuza to Gaara to Itatchi...

But Madera was the case who was asking for it.

Anyways, I think Itatchi was a tragic honorable atagonist.
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 12:15   Link #57
Z. Kensei
Kensei??

Itachi seem's more like an Tragic Hero. Ultimately, everything he did was for the greater good even giving naruto a portion of his power ( in doing so, he probably anticipated Sasuke joining up with Madara). He'd tried to undermine Akatsuki and save Sasuke.
Z. Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 15:37   Link #58
Ashramaru
☻1st Class☻

Send a message via AIM to Ashramaru Send a message via MSN to Ashramaru
Itachi is definitely a Tragic Hero. The faith of his Clan and his own upbringing is what influenced his decisions. While I do poke fun at Kish for his lack of development in most of his character, Itachi is by far the most well planned character. All in all this discussion is pointless for anyone to call him a villain that would be absurd.
"Lastly, hidden with the bottom confines of the ship lays “The Dreamer”, with his eye closed and quill in hand he rests. His dreams, his ambition, his strife will be transcended to all those on this voyage."

Currently Working On: The Last Bible|IMAGINE
Ashramaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 23:39   Link #59
SpecialK

Seriously, calling Itachi a hero is like calling George W. Bush smart.

Though he may be a tragic figure, his character is anything but a hero. Arguments could be made for an anti-hero, weak as they may be. His conduct, personality, and development most suit that of an anti-villain. The intentions exhibited in this case would look to be heroic, but himself and the his methods are nothing short of villainous. Looking at the entirety of his life ex post facto you will see a heroic attempt at restoring the honor of an ashamed and secretive clan, in fact, he even set up retribution for himself in the form of Sasuke revenge. He himself knew that he was a villain and sought accountability for his crimes. A tragic hero would of had a big problem with almost all of Itachi's actions but not necessarily their outcomes. If a person is to be ascribed their worth by the outcomes of their actions, than an argument may be made for Itachi's heroism. Rather, if a person's actions define who they are, as I believe they do (and also every other deontologist ever), Itachi's character must be described in terms of what he does rather than the consequences that they produce.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 11:43   Link #60
Casshern

His idea of "peace" is just as twisted as Danzou, Pain and Madara's. His mind was totally warped from the ninja war he experienced in his childhood, otherwise he would've realised that to utterly slaughter one side (including elderly and infants that couldn't fight in the first place) is worse than the war he prevented. He was a villain.

He was an awesome character, his whole life was tragic, but he was still a villain.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga