AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-09-07, 01:43   Link #41
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
Internet and newspapers for me. I don't watch tv a lot so I'm not in with the News programs.
Same here, I can't even remember the last time I watched news on the TV. Although nowadays I seem to be getting a lot of my news from forums. I'm really lazy...
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-07, 02:44   Link #42
Alchemist007
*Author

my local fox station has some lively folks so I don't mind it. I'm just at coolege too often to watch it much now.
Old 2009-09-08, 02:17   Link #43
sa547
*Author

Quote:
How about you? Do you rely more on the Internet for news than on other media? How about your parents?
I source my news from the Internet, two local broadsheets, and from Al Jazeera, NHK World and the BBC. More often this year I'm getting my news from the net than other two sources. My late father use to read from newspapers or on the TV.

I have a hard time trying to watch the local news, as they're becoming alleged mouthpieces for influential personalities.

Quote:
Why or why not?
Most of my work is on the computer and the Internet, so sometimes I have to read some news between breaks from making replies to MMOG players having game client installation problems.

Last edited by sa547; 2009-09-10 at 06:38.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 03:01   Link #44
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I always watch BBC news on the TV.
That's a news source not generally affected by either the Republicans nor the Democrats.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 09:36   Link #45
VVayfarer
Elite Member

Send a message via ICQ to VVayfarer Send a message via AIM to VVayfarer Send a message via MSN to VVayfarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuuA4 View Post
That's a news source not generally affected by either the Republicans nor the Democrats.
That's... not surprising, since in the UK, there is no political party called "The Republican Party", and there, "The Democratic Party" is only a minor political organization.
VVayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-08, 23:50   Link #46
rio

First of all, Yahoo news . i am really interested in news, so i always check by esp. moble phone.

Second, TV's news.

Third, News papers. (i like Mainich Shinbun esp.)

i also like watching American news or programs like ABC.
Old 2009-09-09, 00:30   Link #47
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVayfarer View Post
That's... not surprising, since in the UK, there is no political party called "The Republican Party", and there, "The Democratic Party" is only a minor political organization.
i think he's just admired by BBC's impartiality
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 00:46   Link #48
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

For me, it's a mix of the New York Times and BBC.
With some NHK and Al-Jazeera.
Old 2009-09-09, 01:10   Link #49
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Unless you count something the mockery TV news programs, I can't even remember the last time I used the TV for news. Why do I want to waste time watching stories I am not interested in, when I could scan the headlines online or even see videoes.

Even online wise, I rarely will check it--at my old job, we'd check it every hour almost though, since we'd be bored at work. If I am really bored and waiting for someone, I'll use my Blackberry to check news out.

I read Newspapers but only because the people I live with get them anyway and even then its not systematic, just looking at an article that catches my eye. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't get a newspaper (or actually a land line telephone since all I get are telemarketers, but that's for another thread entirely).

In general, I am not even that interested in the news, most of the stories are somewhat bleak--if something is really interesting, some friend will surely bring it up right, aka Disney buys Marvel.
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-09, 01:25   Link #50
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

bbc breakfast in the morning.
metro newspaper and the guardian on mondays
channel 4 news at night.

for sports Sky sports website or bbc sports website.
Old 2009-09-09, 02:05   Link #51
Sassarai
Army of One

I use the internet to watch television. I get my news from the Daily Show/Colbert Report online. I was without real news for 3 weeks because both shows went on break.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 02:20   Link #52
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I beg pardon for interrupting this thread with a surprising development.

Google to build payment platform for newspapers
Quote:
Washington (Sept 10): Internet giant Google is developing a payment platform for newspapers that would allow them to charge for content online, according to a document released yesterday.

Harvard University's Nieman Journalism Lab said that Google had submitted a payment platform proposal to the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) in response to a request made by the NAA to several major technology companies.

Nieman published the Google proposal on its website, niemanlab.org, and described Google's initiative as somewhat "surprising" given "the newspaper industry's tenuous relationship with Google".

With print advertising revenue and circulation declining, American newspaper publishers have been looking at ways to begin charging for content on the Internet and the NAA has been involved in the effort.

"Google believes that an open Web benefits all users and publishers," the document said. "However, 'open' need not mean free... While we believe that advertising will likely remain the main source of revenue for most news content, a paid model can serve as an important source of additional revenue."

- AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 02:55   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

A bit late to the thread am I... but where I get my news depends a lot on where I"m standing (you grab what you can get).

I have a Google news aggregator portal set up to grab news articles from all over the world, particularly Japan (2), Europe (BBC, DW, EJ), India (1), and even China (1). There's little I trust in the US media anymore but I do have the feeds from Reuters, NYT, and NPR. It also has weather feeds from various cities around the world and some pertinent stock markets across the planet. I'll often catch Rachel Maddow, Bill Moyers, Tavis Smiley, Charlie Rose, and other analysis talk hosts at their websites, streaming, or public broadcast tv.

Otherwise, I catch deeper analysis in publications (e.g. The Economist, National Review, The Nation, Nature). I will occasionally browse the crap that passes for "mainstream" in the US to see what spew is being fed to "Joe Public".

I stopped "watching tv" about 10 years ago, though again I will sit down on occasion to see what the commercial networks spew. I do tend to watch a lot of the public broadcasting news, analysis, and documentary programs.

Cronkite was pretty much the last of the commercial anchors worth two cents. Huntley&Brinkley as well.... Dan Rather had to preside over the "profitization" of the news department and the "dumbing down" so he lost his sheen early.

For a glmpse of just how dumb the commercial news has gotten, listen to Edward R. Murrow's broadcasts, or many of Cronkite's broadcasts. It is almost impossible to differentiate between serious news and the info-tainment garbage (Inside Edition, XXXtra, whatever) anymore.

The only radio news I listen to is public broadcasting (with BBC), a bit of Air America (especially Thom Hartmann and Ed Schultz), and the local metal rock station actually has a pretty sophisticated news moment (though its played for sarcasm/laughs).

The major newspaper in my area has been a load of crap for the last 20 years... the best local print news are indie rags that actually DO local investigative journalism (e.g. Willamette Week).
Old 2009-09-10, 03:22   Link #54
solomon

Heh, I am spoiled cause I am in the shadow of the Washington Post. USA Today is good for when I am feeling lazy.

BBC, France 24 and Al Jazeera English are good international broadcasters, although these days I only look at BBC regularly due to time constraints.

I am actually amazed that Public Television still exists and NPR does so well (regionally of course) in our heavily commericalized marketplace.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-10, 11:12   Link #55
leoblack9
Your fagottry, I hate it!

Parents are ever faithful to radio and tv.

Whatever I stumble upon Yahoo News are what I get.

I usually read newspapers every Sunday or so, and dad usually leaves the radio on so I listen.
Old 2010-07-23, 13:08   Link #56
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Food for thought

Link economy and journalism
Quote:
By Chris Ahearn
President, Media at Thomson Reuters
(July 23, Fri)

LAST summer, I published a blog post that laid out my feelings about the "link economy" and its positive contribution to the evolution of the business of journalism.

One year later, Reuters.com continues to encourage linking to the rich content we offer and even pulling interesting excerpts for discussion in a different forum. In exchange for that occasional use of our content, we ask others to respect the hard work our journalists put into their craft — and in some cases risk their lives in doing so — by offering prominent links and attribution.

We encourage bloggers and individuals to use a teaser and perhaps add their own perspective to enhance the online experience. The RSS feeds on Reuters.com are designed to make this easy to do.

...Some question why we object to websites posting full copies of our stories without a licensing agreement. The answer is simple: We believe it is neither fair nor legal nor ethical.

...First, we absolutely respect and encourage people to discuss and debate breaking news, particularly when referencing our reporting. We believe it makes societies stronger and are delighted when it happens.

Second, we expect websites and users to kindly respect how we wish our content is linked to and excerpted, as opposed to copying and pasting (again, that is why we make our RSS feeds available and always welcome linking to the Reuters.com network).

Third, if websites are commercial in nature (that is, take advertising) and want to post our full articles we should have a fair commercial relationship.

...The way I see it, I prefer to resolve issues with our business development arm rather than through lawyers. That way we can find new ways that respect each other’s hard work and make journalism prosper in the digital age.

Perhaps it is old fashioned but, to me, that is "doing unto others".

REUTERS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 14:31   Link #57
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
A bit late to the thread am I... but where I get my news depends a lot on where I"m standing (you grab what you can get).

I have a Google news aggregator portal set up to grab news articles from all over the world, particularly Japan (2), Europe (BBC, DW, EJ), India (1), and even China (1).
Basically what you said here applies for me too... but I am too lazy to even setup the portal. It is always interesting to read the same news from different news agencies (talk about POV )
Old 2010-07-31, 18:28   Link #58
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

CNBC and the WSJ for financial news

Google News + NYTimes for other news
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 18:37   Link #59
james0246

Animesuki ...I'm so screwed...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-31, 20:29   Link #60
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Animesuki ...I'm so screwed...
I don't think your screwed up for using Asuki. That could just be because I use it to Lol. The weird/crazy news topics, not just anime news always pops up on forums first.

For real news, I rely on other people telling me.

Tags
social media