AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-07-04, 09:46   Link #1
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Our Parting Words To...

I found this topic on a different forum, and got permission to post it here I thought it might be a good conversation.

OBITUARY FOR THE LATE MR. COMMON SENSE:

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered for having cultivated such valuable lessons as: knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Calpol, sun lotion, or a band-aid to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son Reason.

He is survived by his 3 stepbrothers I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

~*~

And now a mournful slideshow of Common Sense; And how to Apply!

This stands for itself.

Some battles are not worth fighting.

Read the fine print.

You've seen it go wrong a thousand times, remember, JUST SAY NO!

Don't Click! DO NOT CLICK!
Old 2010-07-04, 10:14   Link #2
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
That's not a badger. It's a hedgehog.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:16   Link #3
killer3000ad

Don't forget the one where the girl was offered drugs by her classmate in the locker room, but she said,"No," and put the pill back the bag but the school admin still suspended her because she TOUCHED the pill!
Old 2010-07-04, 10:27   Link #4
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Common sense is better off dead : it is a dumb assumption that everyone else should think like one do just because he/she quoted it.

Use something better called logic. It comes in three forms : simple, complex and coerci-logic (commonly seen in oxymorons). It is much better, because it work both ways and do not tamper with emotions.

For more details, visit your local library's non-fiction section.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:31   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Common sense did not die of natural cause. It was murdered by a system of bureaucracy and rules to impose control on the people and their actions so that order and predictability could be achieved, and those who still remember Common Sense for who he was can no longer voice his words for it has no more place in modern society. Common sense did not die of natural cause. It was murdered.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:51   Link #6
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Use something better called logic. It comes in three forms : simple, complex and coerci-logic (commonly seen in oxymorons). It is much better, because it work both ways and do not tamper with emotions.
I heard that Logic killed Common Sense. I can't say if it's true or not, because I did hear it from some guy named Lie.
Old 2010-07-04, 10:57   Link #7
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Common sense is better off dead : it is a dumb assumption that everyone else should think like one do just because he/she quoted it.

I agree with this. Common sense isn't intrinsically good.

Common sense was believing that the universe revolved around the Earth several hundred years ago or that meat spawned flies.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 11:26   Link #8
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

Amen to that.

Common sense would be supposed to be universal, but as nobody is the result of the same factors ( background, past experience, surrounding etc... ) to get the same result is rather unrealistic.
Old 2010-07-04, 12:00   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

*pokes*

[troll]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
OBITUARY FOR THE LATE MR. COMMON SENSE:
I call sexism.

Quote:
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
Bureaucracies are necessary for the functioning of a modern society. In fact, they are made necessary by the failures of so-called common sense in said role.

Quote:
He will be remembered for having cultivated such valuable lessons as: knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.
Said terms are culturally based proverbs and common phrases which suffer loss of meaning and value in different contexts, as different cultural and ideological frameworks would shift the priorities that define a society's supposedly universal common sense. The early bird who catches the worm may be hampering society's advancement by its unnecessary, obstructive, selfish behavior, abandoning crucial responsibilities in favor of individual gain. Ergo, the early bird must be assimilated. We will add its biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Its culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

Quote:
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.
The subtleties of economics are lost to poor common sense. Money, in short, is fake. It depends entirely on human's perceptions. Yes, including the so-called gold standard, because one frankly cannot survive on gold and it only has value because- ooh, shinies! Err. What was I saying?

Anyway, because money is fundamentally dependent on society to give it values, it follows that behaviors with regards to money are socially based. When one argues that one should not spend more than what one could earn, it implies a certain a priori assumption that you know what you're actually earning, that money must in fact be earned, and not only that but should be earned, that money's value is static, and that investment and capitalization are counter-productive, for they far too much depend on the value of ideas and future potential.

Mr. Common Sense is also a populist. He argues against regulations as a whole while ignoring the faults of humanity that they are meant to safeguard against -- the faults which are inherent in him, given his nature. This cannot be blamed on him of course, the fool doesn't know he's a fool.

The individual cases of appalling insanity he calls out against actually belong in his family, though he naturally considers himself superior to them. They, you see, stem from certain psychological quirks of the human mind (demonstrated by disturbing and infamous psychological tests). He too is born of mortal, a saner offspring one admits, yet in a way he is far more dangerous, for he believes himself righteous and common, so that his faults and contradictions are glossed over while the failures of these cases are obvious to the public. At one point in time it was common sense really for the foul corruptions of the female to be hidden from the public sphere, a realm of righteous, noble men-citizens, lest they too be corrupted by feminine wiles and the spirit of a nation lost and feminized.

Quote:
Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.
If Mr. Common Sense allies with God, he will have made eternal enemies with Reason and Logic. And while Reason and Logic are indeed infinitely weaker than Common Sense and God, who smites away Reason and Logic with all the might of the divine and the mortal combined, with full moral authority of course, I, as an heir of their legacy, must raise again the standards of reasonable, logical revolt as a matter of principle.

Quote:
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son Reason.
Reason would like to sue Common Sense for false claims of paternity. Please contact his attorney if Common Sense has any questions.

We must therefore come to the conclusion that Common Sense is a nefarious foe indeed. For he pretends that he is dead, and, in the classic manner of a populist, draws condemnation and rage and accusations against his enemies. Should he be "revived" -- that is to say, should said foul villain abandons his hiding place and returns to the public eye -- he shall return at the head of a mob which is blind to its faults, believes itself righteous and perfect, divinely-ordained, demanding the execution of diversity, the subversion of reason, the expulsion of logic, the silence of the critical, the abandonment of the artistic, and civilization, glorious civilization, shall fall into the dark ages under the Tyranny of Common Sense.

[/troll]
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 12:11   Link #10
james0246

"OBITUARY FOR THE LATE MR. COMMON SENSE"

This seems a little Glenn Beckish...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 12:38   Link #11
JMvS
Rawrrr!

I... I... was fond of this folk! And... and.... I could see his condition worsen day by day! But... but... I couldn't do a thing to save him /cry

May you rest in peace, and be reborn in a better World, for many will miss you.
Old 2010-07-04, 14:09   Link #12
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

I don't think this topic was originally intended as a serious debate topic. I'm glad that people actually liked it, and if people want to debate it then go right ahead.
Old 2010-07-04, 14:58   Link #13
LMF

I wish I had common sense.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 15:05   Link #14
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ugh I'm agreeing with Saintess.

Common sense and conventional wisdom need to die. These are just ways to avoid thinking for yourself. Use logic, use reason, and most of all, use your fucking brain. Think before you act. Think before you speak. Don't follow in the footsteps of those who came before you just because it's easier.
Old 2010-07-04, 15:36   Link #15
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Ugh I'm agreeing with Saintess.

Common sense and conventional wisdom need to die. These are just ways to avoid thinking for yourself. Use logic, use reason, and most of all, use your fucking brain. Think before you act. Think before you speak. Don't follow in the footsteps of those who came before you just because it's easier.

*is lost as to the point of this thread or how people are perceiving 'common sense'*

At least... I was raised (and berated often by my father) to 'use common sense', in other words to damn well 'think', when I usually did something he considered stupid or it was in it's very on right, stupid, lol.
Think ahead, always think ahead, be aware of your actions and your surroundings, it's common sense to know if you walk down a dark alley in London as a single young female, you're putting yourself in danger.
It's common sense to know that if you stick your hand near fire, it'll get hot or you risk getting burned.
And so on...

Well.. since the entire concept of common sense is different for me, I guess I better let the thread go, since I'm not sure what Saintess and others are rallying about.

There's 'general belief' (ie the Earth was round) and at least to me, "common sense" is to make yourself think before you act and not lead into a lame ass stupid situation that could have been avoided especially for scenarios which have been proven to be potentially or fatally dangerous.
(Ie: It's common sense to look before you cross the road or put your seatbelt on before you drive)

Wonder if anyone sees CS in this way too or was brought up that way, probably a non Western cultural thing at seeing the concept of it as completely different, since to me it equates to:

"Using common knowledge or facts, think before you act to avoid unnecessary danger or stupidity"
Well, makes for an interesting cultural comparison if that is the case

EDIT:
Actually, now that I think about it, the Japanese use the concept of 'common sense' in a very (scarily) similar way to the an African sense that my father often employed...
常識 【じょうしき】 (n) common sense, (P)
常識家 【じょうしきか】 sensible person
常識に欠ける 【じょうしきにかける】 (exp) to lack in common sense

Joushiki ni kakeru, gets you some serious frowns from the natives here, to some degree they also don't appreciate stupidity in the sense of 'bringing down shame or unnecessary embarressment upon yourself or to your family', heh. Also makes me wanna turn into lingusitic geek mode to reearch on the use and belief of 'baka' over here too...
I guess I should ask people here, "what is the concept of 'common sense' to you" (and the society you live in) before you go off ranting on one about how it shouldn't be used.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-07-04 at 16:18.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 15:54   Link #16
LMF

Hmm...

Common sense, in my opinion, is what general people could agree on. For example, like Mystique above said in other word, if you put your hand in the fire, you're surely well get burn. This belief is logical but also what people would agree on.

But also, i have to agree with Mystique, I don't see the point of this thread.

Go, my friends, search far and wide, you will look for the anwser.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 16:27   Link #17
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post

*is lost as to the point of this thread or how people are perceiving 'common sense'*

At least... I was raised (and berated often by my father) to 'use common sense', in other words to damn well 'think', when I usually did something he considered stupid or it was in it's very on right, stupid, lol.
Think ahead, always think ahead, be aware of your actions and your surroundings, it's common sense to know if you walk down a dark alley in London as a single young female, you're putting yourself in danger.
It's common sense to know that if you stick your hand near fire, it'll get hot or you risk getting burned.
And so on...

Well.. since the entire concept of common sense is different for me, I guess I better let the thread go, since I'm not sure what Saintess and others are rallying about.

There's 'general belief' (ie the Earth was round) and at least to me, "common sense" is to make yourself think before you act and not lead into a lame ass stupid situation that could have been avoided especially for scenarios which have been proven to be potentially or fatally dangerous.
(Ie: It's common sense to look before you cross the road or put your seatbelt on before you drive)

Wonder if anyone sees CS in this way too or was brought up that way, probably a non Western cultural thing at seeing the concept of it as completely different, since to me it equates to:

"Using common knowledge or facts, think before you act to avoid unnecessary danger or stupidity"
Well, makes for an interesting cultural comparison if that is the case
In America, "common sense" is what you meant by "general belief" - a pool of commonly accepted beliefs that people believe in just because other people also believe in them (e.g. doctors believe that the only thing you can do if you get cancer is to slow its inevitable destruction of your body), instead of using your common sense and thinking for yourself (e.g. reading up on the latest research and finding out that not only is cancer fully curable, it's also fully preventable).

All of the doctors I've asked about cancer claimed that once you get cancer, it's unstoppable and it just gets worse and worse. *(I don't actually have cancer - I asked them to test what level they're are at) Which just isn't true anymore. But if that's what they believe in, that's how it'll be for them.

That's "general belief," or what in the West we call it "common sense." It's so believed to be true that the people who believe in it can't even conceive of an alternative, so they're stuck in their little world of "This is how things are. There are no other possibilities." Now England's probably less religiously fanatical than America so I'd imagine you weren't exposed to as much "general belief" as Americans were when you were growing up, and instead you were taught to think for yourself.

I was brought up on the whole be aware of your actions and think before you act brand of common sense as well. I didn't call it that though - all it means is you use your brain.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 18:08   Link #18
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

All those examples in the opening post and you still fail to see what TS means with common sense
Old 2010-07-04, 18:29   Link #19
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
All those examples in the opening post and you still fail to see what TS means with common sense
It is a intentional/unintentional mix-up of "common sense" and "logic". Common sense is supposed to be something that is generally agreed upon - it is an overused cliche.

Common sense is akin to agreeing with that "IPhone is the best product on the smartphone market", while logic is akin agreeing with "iPhone is one of the better products on the market."

Lio has pretty much explained much of it in detail. That is one of the main problems predating "common sense"....I have been brought up and told to use "common sense" that "working hard towards a good degree will ensure a good job in the future" : one of the things I realised when I grew older is that there isn't such a thing as job security, after going through the Asian Economic Crisis and 2008 Subprime Meltdown.

So what is common sense? It is something that is agreed upon by the majority, not something that has entirely resulted from something called "use your fucking brain". When majority wins, it doesn't mean that they are always right.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 18:33   Link #20
Gin
*Artist

From the title, I thought this would be a suicide note thread. Looks like I got excited for nothing.