AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2011-11-25, 21:24   Link #121
E_I
Yuri fan

Yes...this movie is very pretty. I think it's the first 1080p anime production outside of Ghilbi.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 04:15   Link #122
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
First, you're a grade A idiot if you watch this without .flac and 1080p encode.
Second, I'm an idiot because I am not fluent enough to watch this without subs, but hell once I started I can't stop (and there's just no way I'm going to wait since I've anticipated this for way too long). Personally, this my favorite work from Makoto Shinkai.

With that said, I think everyone's qualm about Shinkai is mostly that he can't ever really get the story right, and that it's too full of melodrama that most people can't stomach it. This movie, however, has gotten both right.

To keep this short, the focus of the movie is not on purely emotion, but also in the exploration of an adventure. If you're watching this, you'll find many scenes that remind you of Miyazaki feel in this. That in itself is not bad. People strive to distinct themselves from other directors, but sometimes certain formula work, but even recreating the feeling using the same formulas are quite impossible. I feel this movie was able to recreate that while making itself distinct. I can see the "old guards" who dwell on the golden age of Laputa and Nausicaa might not be able to fully enjoy or appreciate this, but I would rate this at least higher level than Karigurashi no Arrietty (and I love that movie as well ... well except the ending).

10/10

PS: To prevent over-hype, a lot of people actually really disliked the film for its very weak plot, sooo don't just take my word for this being super awesome~~~

EDIT: ED, has random spoiler scenes, but it's awesome

I have been waiting waaay too long for this! Makoto Shinkai making a movie in a Ghibli-Laputa-Nausicaa-esque world :O And that post makes me want to watch it now. I am over hyped! ha! But I need subs *sigh* Anyway I am really looking forward to it! And I will not watch that video, no no...
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 11:53   Link #123
Kakkou
Tch.

Finally watched it. Visually breathtaking as per Shinkai standards. It was very satisfying to see him take on a different genre. While I did have a few small gripes with the story, I don't feel that it was weak at all. It was simple and straightforward yet like Quarkboy previously mentioned, not something kids would probably enjoy as much. Going from the manga sample my problems with the story are most likely meant to be addressed there, meaning I'm definitely gonna get my hands on them, especially the Shun & Shin side of the manga.

Music wise, I have to say Tenmon's score in his previous films were more memorable but that doesn't mean his work with Hoshi Ou is bad either. I'll probably have to watch the film again and give the soundtrack a good listen to see if my stance changes.

I still have the bonus disc to watch but it's already really late so I'll leave that for later. For his latest work in a while since 5cm, Shinkai certainly hasn't let me down, though I can understand why some may not find this one to be of their liking.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 23:50   Link #124
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

shall be watch tomorrow, if not, this weekend. i've waited so long for this. I won't be at all surprised if the movie isn't as "good" as byousoku for me. its a different genre that doesn't resonate with me as much. after all, byousoku is pretty much the defining anime movie of the 2000s for a lot of people.

still, can't wait to watch it. as a fan of his since before it was cool (kidding.. though i've been a fan since before Voices became a huge hit), its amazing to see him come so far.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 03:05   Link #125
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

3 words: Beautfiul, but Boring.

Well, at least it isn't as depressing as Shinkai's other works. Though I dunno which is worse, heartbroken tears from having my ship sunk in his other movies, or me bored to tears with this one.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-01, 15:22   Link #126
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I didn't think it was boring. It was not riveting for me, but certainly not boring.

But I absolutely agree that it is beautiful animation!

BTW, should this be moved to the "active" forums now since it is available?
Old 2011-12-02, 02:15   Link #127
Freeter
beyond

This movie was absolutely horrible. Shinkai must have drawn inspiration from the wrong Miyazaki this time, because this film is easily his Gedo Senki. The characters were shallow and uninspiring, the 'adventure' lacked spirit, and the climax was utterly dreadful. And talk about a misleading title; Asuna spent more time being chased and running from danger than doing any pursuing herself.

At least it had the astounding visuals that we've come to expect from a Shinkai work. Shame it had to be wasted on such a misguided story like this.
Old 2011-12-02, 16:51   Link #128
miketyson

Different people like different things I guess.

I thought this was an absolute masterpiece, 9.8/10. I don't want to start a fight by saying it's better than Miyazaki's work, but at the moment I can't think of an animated film I liked more than this one.

I just hope it does well enough financially that Shinkai can continue making films.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 17:50   Link #129
FireChick

Quote:
I just hope it does well enough financially that Shinkai can continue making films.
According to this, the Blu-Ray sold a little over 4000 copies. Is this a good thing or not?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...november-21-27

You'd think it'd sell for more than that considering how popular Shinkai is.

Well, I thought this movie is awesome, mostly for some of the small moments.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 18:32   Link #130
Dop
Mmmm....

An absolutely beautiful movie, in which Makoto Shinkai pays tribute to the old master Hayao Miyazaki.
It is very Ghibliesque, but it's also very Shinkai - after all it does feature relationships parted, albeit by death rather than by time or by distance! A bit Orpheus in the underworld, too.

I absolutely loved it.

I do so hope for a UK blu-ray release so I can properly purchase a copy. Come on Manga UK, my money is waiting for you!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 19:47   Link #131
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Yeah I'm really not too sure why some people are being so harsh on this film. It seems a lot of people came here expecting another film along the lines of 5cm and got something a bit different and didn't like it.

Now I don't think this quite matches up to Shinkai's 5cm by any means, but I thought it was a rather excellent film that pays nice tribute to the Ghibi style while adding in a huge flavor of Shinkai in the mix (Really this movie was very Shinkai from the background visuals to the themes present, it was all him).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 09:42   Link #132
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Okay, this movie was very much inferior to Shinkai Makoto's other films I've seen, Hoshi no Koe and 5 cm/s. But consider how those two movies were freaking awesome, it doesn't really matter.

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is a solid fantasy adventure movie. The plot's nothing to scream over, but it's acceptable.

Spoiler for spoilery stuff:

As with Shinkai's other films, the art and animation is pure bliss. They added well to my enjoyment. Shinkai's style worked quite well for action and adventure.

And am I the only one who found Asuna to be really cute? Okay, she isn't a strong character, and her primary motivation should have been made clear earlier in the movie, but her bubbly effervescence was at least exciting and pleasant to watch. Kanemoto Hisako's voice worked like magic for her.

By the way, how do you abbreviate the name of this movie? Hoshikodo? Children Chase Voices? Both Japanese and English names are a little long to mention in normal conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Now I don't think this quite matches up to Shinkai's 5cm by any means, but I thought it was a rather excellent film that pays nice tribute to the Ghibi style while adding in a huge flavor of Shinkai in the mix (Really this movie was very Shinkai from the background visuals to the themes present, it was all him).
You could say it is a Frankenstein's monster of Miyazaki and Shinkai. The movie worked fine for me as well, although I can see why some people may not think highly of it.

Last edited by Tempester; 2011-12-03 at 09:57.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 10:34   Link #133
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
By the way, how do you abbreviate the name of this movie? Hoshikodo? Children Chase Voices? Both Japanese and English names are a little long to mention in normal conversation.
CoMix Wave's official facebook page uses Hoshi-oi as the abbreviation, so I suppose that would be the one to go with? Personally I call it Hoshi Ou.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 15:38   Link #134
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah I'm really not too sure why some people are being so harsh on this film. It seems a lot of people came here expecting another film along the lines of 5cm and got something a bit different and didn't like it.

This a hundred times. People are saying it's disappointing but I thought it's really very good. My only complain is how somethings were a bit too contrived, but it's not really that kind of story so it doesn't really matter. I'd rate it an 8/10.

Also, I totally shat brix when I heard Kanae Ito's voice. Wish she had a bigger role...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 16:30   Link #135
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
According to this, the Blu-Ray sold a little over 4000 copies. Is this a good thing or not?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...november-21-27

Well, I thought this movie is awesome, mostly for some of the small moments.
well consider only handful of people that making this movie. i consider it successful. but not mindblowing

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 17:20   Link #136
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Is he that popular?He's criticaly acclaimed sure but is he really that well known?

How big of a theatre release did it get?
Old 2011-12-04, 01:34   Link #137
ZODDGUTS

Didn't like the film all that much. It's disappointing. Feels like a weak Ghibli film. The story nor the characters drew me in. It's a decent watch but that's pretty much it. 7/10
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 12:20   Link #138
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I followed the whole movie to find out the relationship between Asuna and Shun and why Shun had to meet her at the beginning. Maybe the answer was there and I missed it. I understand nothing.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 15:45   Link #139
FireChick

Quote:
This a hundred times. People are saying it's disappointing but I thought it's really very good. My only complain is how somethings were a bit too contrived, but it's not really that kind of story so it doesn't really matter. I'd rate it an 8/10.

Also, I totally shat brix when I heard Kanae Ito's voice. Wish she had a bigger role...
Yeah, me too. I re-watched it earlier this morning and I loved it just as much as I did when I saw it at Otakon so many months ago. I can't wait until it either gets dubbed or comes out on DVD!

And yeah, I did the same with that cute little girl Manna (Hidaka-sama!!!). I wish she either spoke or had a bigger role! :____;
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 16:23   Link #140
miketyson

Now that I've had time to collect my thoughts a bit, here's a meandering "review".

I'm putting it in a spoiler tag to avoid the "wall of text" effect but I assure you it's a spoiler-free review.

Spoiler for Review:

tl;dr: I liked this film. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying it's the best animated feature-length film ever, but honestly at this time I can't think of an animated feature-length film I've liked better. Maybe just the right film at the right time? I can see why some people are down on it, but I'd encourage you to watch it yourself and see what you think.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shinkai