AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-19, 02:18   Link #4121
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

5-2 over the bottom team in the league isn't exactly a result we should be elated over, but the fact that we've seen some of the old Arsenal flow coming back is something that we should be pleased about.

I'm a bit wary of being too happy but hopefully this is a real turning point and not another false dawn. Santi Claus with a hat-trick (bagged one with his head too; even he was surprised). Christmas came early this year.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 02:56   Link #4122
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPotential View Post
I'm a bit wary of being too happy but hopefully this is a real turning point and not another false dawn.
Speaking as a fellow Gooner, you should know by now that this is the whole point of being an Arsenal fan.

Too bad "the quadruple is still on" quip has to wait for next season, again.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 03:48   Link #4123
Eragon
Still Alive

Now I know Arsenal had the match in the bag at 4-0, but the 2 goals they let in were absolutely hilarious. I actually thought Reading would make a comeback considering there was quite a bit of time remaining - as absurd as that sounds
IMO, for Arsenal to change for the better, Wenger needs to leave. He's been their for too long, been too stubborn and achieved very little.

Oh, and that Barcelona 4-1 "thrashing" of Atl. Madrid seems so surreal. I mean, I was watching the match and it never felt like Atl. Madrid were as bad as the result shows. Seriously, wtf happens in Barca matches ?

Last edited by Eragon; 2012-12-19 at 04:09.
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 05:40   Link #4124
Bri

Quote:
Arsenal lack a solid English-based spine for the team. Jack Wilshere has only recently returned, as has Kieran Gibbs from injury, especially Oxlade-Chamberlain, with a stop-start season.
Arsenals passing game should give them an edge in the EPL. Last two seasons have shown how far behind both the Manchester teams are in comparison to the European elite, both sides were completely outplayed by second tier European teams. It's not a requirement for success in a league to have nationals in the team, afaik Inter during the Mourinho age rarely featured any Italians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elo the Blue View Post
It's impossible to agree with everything Wenger's done during the club's dry spell but I don't see how he's suddenly "lost his touch" or how "fresh ideas" are going to help the team climb back into contention with the likes of United, City and Chelsea.

Better players have to be brought in.
I agree for the most part, Arsenal's main issue is that they simply are not capable or prepared to compete on the transfer market for quality players. That said, I think Wenger structurally underestimates the importance of a solid defense. He never fully replaced the defensive unit he inherited from Graham when they retired.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-19, 08:52   Link #4125
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Finally Walcott get his desire playing at CF...
Hope his transfer saga get resolved soon... *cross fingers
On another news, Wilshere penned a new 5-year-deal. Good... Arsenal really need this kid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I agree for the most part, Arsenal's main issue is that they simply are not capable or prepared to compete on the transfer market for quality players. That said, I think Wenger structurally underestimates the importance of a solid defense. He never fully replaced the defensive unit he inherited from Graham when they retired.
Well, Arsenal currently lacks a pure defensive midfield that can compete in strength...
Rumours that Wenger is closing in Sunzu...
Anyone hear of this guy before?
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 21:25   Link #4126
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I agree to an extent. How he thinks Jenkinson is capable long-term RB is beyond me.
Old 2012-12-23, 12:06   Link #4127
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Wow.. that's not a red card?
Old 2012-12-23, 12:28   Link #4128
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post

Terrible referring of that game, terrible. The reds made it harder on themselves but not finishing the many chances they had. Still I'll happily take a draw than loose. Michu is by far the signing of the season, unreal centre forward.
Old 2012-12-23, 13:05   Link #4129
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post

The referee was an utter pussy today considering he was too chickened to call the fouls and the right cards against Swansea. If the FA doesn't do anything about this, then I can only hope someone will give that guy, Ashley Williams, a Keano-type of treatment in the last game of the season at Old Trafford.

Today really sucked for us with that overpassing game in scoring areas when we should have shot more often on goal. BTW, what the hell is SAF doing with playing the old guys again? Just be blunt and tell them they are not good enough to carry on anymore. It would surely help the team taking a new orientation with a new system for the future.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 13:24   Link #4130
Eragon
Still Alive

That at least deserves a red card. SAF's statement after the match was a bit over the top - frustration over throwing away a winning game?

On the other match, HOLY F*** 8-0?!! Is this really the Aston Villa that beat Liverpool 3-1 at their home ground ? Chelsea couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present.
Old 2012-12-23, 22:24   Link #4131
RapidPotential

Speaking from a neutral point of view, while I do think Ashley Williams went a little too far, it's not to the extent of what Ferguson claimed. Trying to deflect a poor performance by United's standards on to Williams' misjudged "kick of frustration" won't hide the fact that they've dropped two points for the first time this season.

Honestly though, Williams had his eye on the ball I think, van Persie was just unlucky to have fallen right in the path of the ball. I do feel that if he got yellow it's for unsporting behaviour. If the referee judged it to be unnecessary, then it would have been red.

That aside I'm very pleased we're back in the top four with two good wins, and a clean sheet away at the DW Stadium is never easy. Briefly enjoyed third until that 8-0 hammering Chelsea gave Villa. What a header from Torres to start off everything.
Old 2012-12-26, 12:52   Link #4132
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Manchester United were once again horrible at the back. Thank God we had the artilery to reply with more goals than what the Geordies had to offer. VAMOS CHICHARITO!!!

And that result was not only a matter of how, but how many considering that Adam Johnson scored against his old club, Manchester City, to lead Sunderland to a 1-0 win. That also means the Red Devils are now up with a 7-point gap right now.

I just hope we'll add up to that gap anyhow knowing our bad results from late in last season and knowing that Chelsea will try a final push with the FSW at the helm.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 18:32   Link #4133
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Another amazing result for the Reds, only got to see my recorded motd and damn that was a crazy match but getting the 3 points is all that matters. The united defence aren't playing great but I think most of the goals going past them is down to bad luck more than anything and De Gae is just not consistent enough yet he has 1 amazing game (Swansea) then a crap game (newcastle) not good enough to be fair.

Great to see Mna city loose to, always makes my day.
Old 2012-12-29, 14:33   Link #4134
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle

What an entertaining game. Theo Walcott gets a hattrick and one assist. This is just his third game playing as central striker. Now what is Wenger doing? Just give him 100k / week.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-29, 18:57   Link #4135
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle

What an entertaining game. Theo Walcott gets a hattrick and one assist. This is just his third game playing as central striker. Now what is Wenger doing? Just give him 100k / week.
Arsenal NEED Theo....

What a bloody great game. Demba Ba deserves to be at a better club not a wee club in north east of england....

Another great goal from RVP GGMU 7 points clear at the end of the year!!!! =)
Old 2012-12-29, 21:19   Link #4136
RapidPotential

SIGN DA TING. The calls ring ever so loudly after an amazing hat-trick. Never seen such blend of skill, pace, finishing and finesse from Theo Walcott, ever. He seems to enjoy scoring against Newcastle, to be frank. I'd be gutted if we lost the next Henry to some other club like Manchester City or Chelsea.

If he wasn't having contract issues I'd have said "Robin Who?" but honestly we don't need RVP with Walcott playing as such. He might even outscore the guy. United were pretty sluggish but RVP's goal was class. They're relying ever so much on him now. Third game in six days against Wigan in the next couple days.
Old 2012-12-30, 16:59   Link #4137
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
SIGN DA TING. The calls ring ever so loudly after an amazing hat-trick. Never seen such blend of skill, pace, finishing and finesse from Theo Walcott, ever. He seems to enjoy scoring against Newcastle, to be frank. I'd be gutted if we lost the next Henry to some other club like Manchester City or Chelsea.

If he wasn't having contract issues I'd have said "Robin Who?" but honestly we don't need RVP with Walcott playing as such. He might even outscore the guy. United were pretty sluggish but RVP's goal was class. They're relying ever so much on him now. Third game in six days against Wigan in the next couple days.
I like Walcott and I want him re-signed as well but he's not the next Henry. Yesterday's peformance was amazing but we've great games from Theo before. He has yet to become a consistent performer though.
Old 2012-12-31, 23:20   Link #4138
RapidPotential

Sometimes the tag "next whoever" tends to bring skepticism but I believe it's more of an indication to similar core attributes one player has to a player who used to possess such qualities. In Walcott's case it's his pace and finishing skills but I don't believe he has the same technical flair and imagination Henry had in his heyday, thus don't take these tags seriously (I'm merely using it as a highlight of Walcott's similar attributes).

He isn't consistent but he's always proved to turn up for matches of great importance. At least, if he continues his current form he'd be able to shrug that "super-sub" tag off, even if he does offer danger off the bench. Moreover, I wouldn't want to see Arsenal spend 7 years grooming him and then losing his peak years to their rivals.
Old 2013-01-01, 13:07   Link #4139
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

That.. That first touch..
It's almost artistic!
Old 2013-01-01, 21:12   Link #4140
RapidPotential

I told my friend - who is a United fan - that Wigan always tend to get hammered by United, and that it'd be no different this time. Seems I was spot-on. Apart from last season's loss (thanks to Shaun Maloney), Wigan have never had a good time playing United. Biggest win of the day as well.

I was pleased with a point against a very disciplined and threatening Saints side, especially since we never looked like getting the winner once the likes of Ramsey and Gervinho (OH ESPECIALLY MR FOREHEAD) came on. Shaw looks a very promising full-back: great pace, energy and discipline, and he's only 17.

I feel he went just about even up against old Saints boy Oxlade-Chamberlain but the latter narrowly comes up on top because of winning more individual duels. Shaw sometimes struggled to deal with the power and pace of AOC but did not panic and stuck to his task.

Walcott was isolated, and no one was doing anything to support him! His free-kick led to the own goal but honestly, Arsenal were poor yesterday.

Tags
football, soccer