AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-25, 20:57   Link #21
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
I've noticed that if there's too much action it artifacts a bit. It happens more on low quality stuff, but even stuff that was pretty good quality (like Ergo Proxy) still suffered from it.
It might just be because of what format the video's are uploaded as. On stage6, as far as i know, they're uploaded as .divx files, so what you see, is exactly the same thing as what you would download.

But like i said, I'm not sure how Veoh stores the video's as

(side note, i watched TTGL's HD opening and OMG THAT is STREAMING?! GEEZUS)

edit:I like downloading fast. it takes 15 minutes to download 5 episodes of FSN

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:04   Link #22
cyth
Banned

These videos can be encoded and uploaded in special ways to preserve picture quality. Veoh videos are encoded in VP6 and have max bitrate restrictions. So as long as you pre-encode these videos yourself while keeping in mind the max bitrate, you can come out with very good results. Now, I don't know what kind of video duration restrictions Veoh has, but that parameter dictates how far up you can drive video quality. Otherwise, it doesn't matter much how good your source video is, since it's going to get reencoded to a 12 fps soggy mess no matter what (by the Veoh service).
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:16   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I noticed that when the videos at Veoh are .avi files, they don't lose resolution, even during heavy action/movement. I don't know if that's due to the file type, or a coincidence that all the .avi vids I've seen are high quality, or what.
Old 2008-02-25, 21:22   Link #24
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Downloaded what I can on Stage.. Is there ANY other websites that have HALF the streaming quality which Stage6 presented to us audiences? LINKS

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:27   Link #25
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, I found this site: http://www.stage7.co.nr/, but I have no idea whether it's legit or not. I would guess not, though I haven't registered because I can't see the validation image for some odd reason. I suppose it's worth checking out if you really care, but apparently it's a Beta version anyway, so the actual value at this point in time is up in the air and highly questionable.
Old 2008-02-25, 21:34   Link #26
Defron
Soy Bean

I just found out, I am really sad as I was in the middle of watching many series on there and now this.

This is a major step back in streaming, Youtube utterly fails compared to stage6.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:43   Link #27
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Downloaded what I can on Stage.. Is there ANY other websites that have HALF the streaming quality which Stage6 presented to us audiences? LINKS
try googling HD Streaming sites
or use utorrent to fill in the viod left by stag6

Last edited by King Lycan; 2008-02-25 at 21:44. Reason: Typo
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-25, 21:48   Link #28
wao
OK.

Damn, this is really sad - I never used it to watch anime (too slow) but it was THE place to get uber-hi-quality MADs and artsy anime clips. Oh shit, I should go find some more before they go forever but... I waste enough time as it is. Urgh.

Well, hopefully some attentive Japanese fans will re-encode some of these in high quality as possible and upload them on niconico; the video quality there can actually be pretty good if you can encode .flvs perfectly (I have no clue how they do them, do you have to use VP6?)
And you can get even better quality for longer clips if you have a premium account.
Old 2008-02-25, 22:21   Link #29
Kristen
*Author

This is saddening and shocking. I mean, I rarely ever used stage6, since it's search feature for anime episodes was AWFUL (I looked up Death Note 24 and it gave me Death Note 1 as the first result. 24 was on the 9th page after the spanish subs, and I think the German ones too...) But, it really was a nice place to get high quality.
That is, at least, before I discovered the wonders of bittorrent. ^_^

But, hopefully this won't signify a downfall of places like Veoh or Youtube in the future...
Old 2008-02-25, 22:27   Link #30
hcl4

Stage6 is basically the streaming video equivalent to a direct download site. They have a very generous 2GB per video upload limit, no real time limit that I know of(sort videos by length), built in video saving and the biggest reason to use Stage6 is its fast speeds. Usually I get max download speeds my connection can do. Compared to youtube and veoh which caps their speeds and all the other limits they have, Stage6 fills a unique spot for HQ videos.
hcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 00:10   Link #31
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcl4 View Post
Stage6 is basically the streaming video equivalent to a direct download site. They have a very generous 2GB per video upload limit, no real time limit that I know of(sort videos by length), built in video saving and the biggest reason to use Stage6 is its fast speeds. Usually I get max download speeds my connection can do. Compared to youtube and veoh which caps their speeds and all the other limits they have, Stage6 fills a unique spot for HQ videos.
I tried pressing "Download", but it didn't work for any of the vids I tried, so I just waited till they buffered completely and just "Saved As" .

But really, Youtube and Veoh can't even compare to Stage6. I remember when Veoh made the video length limit, everyone was going INSANE. And this is Veoh we're talking here. They didn't even really limit, they just forced you to download Veoh TV or something in which you had access to more things. Youtube also has the 10 min limit, not to mention bad quality for uploaded videos. Veoh and Youtube simply don't compare to Stage6 when it comes to streaming.
Now my only half decent choice is Crunchyroll, where to watch high quality videos, I have to donate! -_-...

STAGE6... Why have you forsaken me...

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 00:28   Link #32
kohakuslayer
River Spirit
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to kohakuslayer Send a message via MSN to kohakuslayer Send a message via Yahoo to kohakuslayer
Aw man, Stage6 was my source for high-quality streaming anime =_=". Sad it'll go down the drain.
This signature was larger than allowed by the signature rules and a moderator has fed it to the forum bunnies. Many large, plump, oversized signatures are necessary if we are going to breed enough bunnies to conquer the world. With a signature like this one I'm gonna get a few new litters, yay!
kohakuslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 00:28   Link #33
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Man, was using this to watch Gunslinger Girl, but I guess too bad
Old 2008-02-26, 00:56   Link #34
Defron
Soy Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
I tried pressing "Download", but it didn't work for any of the vids I tried, so I just waited till they buffered completely and just "Saved As" .

But really, Youtube and Veoh can't even compare to Stage6. I remember when Veoh made the video length limit, everyone was going INSANE. And this is Veoh we're talking here. They didn't even really limit, they just forced you to download Veoh TV or something in which you had access to more things. Youtube also has the 10 min limit, not to mention bad quality for uploaded videos. Veoh and Youtube simply don't compare to Stage6 when it comes to streaming.
Now my only half decent choice is Crunchyroll, where to watch high quality videos, I have to donate! -_-...

STAGE6... Why have you forsaken me...
Yeah, I have a few other ones that are of a little better quality than crunchyroll's SD streams (but not even close to stage6 still), but nowhere near the selection.

Stage6 had a huge selection and super quality, my eyes have been severely spoiled by them.
Defron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 01:06   Link #35
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
so, it hardly took me 2 1/2 hours to download like, 4 gb worth of stuff from Stage6
I think i might pull a few more shows within the next couple days (and free up space on my poor drives)

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 02:26   Link #36
Fruitfly

Darn, where will I get my high quality M@D videos now?
Fruitfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 04:12   Link #37
Avantoe
In Memories
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Saying goodbye to Stage 6 is like losing a finger, it's not vital but it'll still be miss and you'll learn to live without it.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Avantoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 04:43   Link #38
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I'm not really into any video sharing site (except occasionally YouTube, but not for watching anything longer than 2 mins), so I really can't be bothered much with Stage6's demise.

But from the descriptions posted here, I can see why they had to fold sooner or later: streaming video requires spectacular amounts of bandwidth, and the higher the quality, the higher the bandwidth usage (I know DivX is more efficient than Flash Video, but this still). It's nice they mention selling the service as an option they've tried. Considering the amount of YouTube-wannabe's popping up left-and-right, Stage6's operational costs must have seem very unattractive for there to be no potential buyers for their service.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 04:51   Link #39
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Isn't Stage6 the only english HQ streaming site? (I am not talking about sites like Joox which only did copy and paste.) Sad news..

Now everyone will begin flocking to Veoh
Old 2008-02-26, 04:57   Link #40
Hijiroku
Heil Mein Fuhrer

well that sucks all the good hd gone good thing i know now
Hijiroku is offline   Reply With Quote