AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 76 44.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 33.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 16.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-13, 12:24   Link #121
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yoko Kanno's on top form this time around. The score is pretty much a "let's cross Macross Plus & Turn A Gundam, and let's see what we get." Brilliant turn out, can't wait to hear more.
Old 2008-04-13, 12:49   Link #122
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
If you have some understanding of japanese, it's ok, some error in it but nothing misleading/serious for Gattai's translation.

I would take another sub's translation though for my anime archive
Actually, there are some nasty errors in this particularly related to Ozma and SMS. The mistranslation by Gattai changes the characterization of the company and him so far. =/
Old 2008-04-13, 13:05   Link #123
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
love leftenant Misa Jr. hope she gets a bigger role! ineed a sig of her.

funny though, i wasn't fond of Misa in the original, but i found her less irritable then ficky Minmei.

on this hand, Misa Jr. personality sounds hot.

*waits for Misa Jr. character thread to spring up*
Old 2008-04-13, 13:16   Link #124
zalem

Good episode. Very nice little tribute to Macross 7. Sure Macross 7 was a bit silly at times, but it was a hell of a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. This series is obviously going to be more similar to the older Macross and that's fine with me too since I love the old SDF as well.

I'm not to keen on Lanca. I'm afraid she'll be the "loli/damsel in distress" of the series. Sheryl is a bit of a diva but I think I like her. It's too soon to tell though. I'm thinking the side characters in this will end up being more interesting then the main characters.
Old 2008-04-13, 13:21   Link #125
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

What a coincidence...

I've never been much of a fan of CG in anime since more often than not it's blatantly obvious when on screen, and creates a stark contrast to the typical animation style. I have yet to see a series that manages to integrate CG seamlessly with the rest of the animation. It isn't bad in Macross, though slightly overused (the car in this episode for example). CG is the future of animation I suppose, so given time I'm sure it will be perfected.

Some of the events in this episode seemed slightly too 'convenient' but I'll let it slide since we're still working out the character connections at this point in the series.

A question for Macross experts: Is Macross as much of a merchandise powerhouse as Gundam? Meaning, is it essentially a glorified "toy commercial"?
Old 2008-04-13, 13:25   Link #126
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
A question for Macross experts: Is Macross as much of a merchandise powerhouse as Gundam? Meaning, is it essentially a glorified "toy commercial"?
No. Nothing matches Gunpla in Japan. Plus Macross has always emphasized drama, romance and music over mechs and hard military/politics.
Old 2008-04-13, 13:28   Link #127
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Good episode. Very nice little tribute to Macross 7. Sure Macross 7 was a bit silly at times, but it was a hell of a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. This series is obviously going to be more similar to the older Macross and that's fine with me too since I love the old SDF as well.
Yeah it was a nice nod to Macross 7. I wouldn't mind hearing some more Fire Bomber on the radio in Macross Frontier --- not something every episodes, just now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I'm not to keen on Lanca. I'm afraid she'll be the "loli/damsel in distress" of the series.
I'm liking her, though i hope that's not something that'll stick with her all the way until the end of the series. At the moment she's the cute cheerful one of the series, and i'll always see her as that.

Sheryl is where it's at though. A nice kind of cool.
Old 2008-04-13, 14:06   Link #128
Moci
just an ordinary alien...

Send a message via MSN to Moci
It was a perfect Macross stuff... I also liked the Fire Bomber song in the car's radio... it was nostalgic. I liked the series, and the Movie. And yes, the Galaxy is calling me ova was also good. The Encore stuff... hmmm.... bad. Macross 7 over, let's start writing the Frontier!

Awesome. I can't describe a better way this episode. Fights, Valkyries, nice songs...
And wonderful graphics.
I think Sheryl and Lanka can be good friends or something. Or fight for our 'himesama'? Anyway, it's can be good, especially those all-for-money military friends let Alto be a pilot.

Anyway, i can't wait the next episode... in hd resolution really hit my eyes, it's perfect on my monitor.
Old 2008-04-13, 14:51   Link #129
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quick question to manga readers, does the anime and manga have the same storyline or is it like Code Geass, Escaflowne and dozens of other anime to manga adaptions where's it completely different?
Old 2008-04-13, 15:40   Link #130
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph View Post
Episode 2 is really good, the pacing of the episode was really excellent and the art didn't suffer from episode 1 at all. Looking at the preview for Episode 3, it probably won't be that action-packed though.

Nice to see Ozma's Valkyries (An armored VF-171?), I prefer it over the VF25 so far. VF-171 looks a bit like a mix of VF-1 and VF-4 whereas VF25 reminds me of the VF21
You got it the wrong round, the YF-21/VF-22 lookalikes are the VF-171s. FYI there was no VF-21 and the VF-171 is derived from the VF-17. The swing wings SMS uses are the VF-25s.

Last edited by dodgethis_sg; 2008-04-13 at 16:17.
Old 2008-04-13, 16:33   Link #131
Icehawk

This show is so far turning out exactly like I was hoping for it to be. Solid drama, good characters, cool mecha and battles, great music, intriguing story, and the little tributes and winks to previous Macross shows they are tossing in are just perfect. I really hope they can keep this up.
Old 2008-04-13, 16:50   Link #132
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Quick question to manga readers, does the anime and manga have the same storyline or is it like Code Geass, Escaflowne and dozens of other anime to manga adaptions where's it completely different?
....according to the admins at Macrossworld it's following the manga very closely.
Old 2008-04-13, 18:10   Link #133
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolycooly7777 View Post
im going to call it know but Ozma is going to follow the path of kamina/roy/random gar guys and die an early death

the sieyu even fits, all we need is for him to say something like ...

kick reason to the curb and do he impossible, or the belive in you line
Nah, he has to hang on to the end of the series to provide grief for Alto and to provide any possible blocks for Alto x Ranka getting past 1st base.
Old 2008-04-13, 18:16   Link #134
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Really too bad, it seems like more people are watching code geass than macross Ah well i like them both, but Macross' character are more likable and less extravagant than Code's <- crazy i know :P

Really can't wait till be get more background on the aliens and how the songs affect them.
Old 2008-04-13, 19:25   Link #135
Ninjamasta

This episode is awasome...

Did anyone notice that those alien thing responded to Ranka's cry for help? and when she suddently sing a short section of song from her idol...that thing moved towards her?
Old 2008-04-13, 19:58   Link #136
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamasta View Post
This episode is awasome...

Did anyone notice that those alien thing responded to Ranka's cry for help? and when she suddently sing a short section of song from her idol...that thing moved towards her?
it was pretty obvious. people were predicting Frontier might have some Macross 7 element in it, where singing effects alien or something like that. check out previous pages for post about this
Old 2008-04-13, 20:36   Link #137
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
Actually, there are some nasty errors in this particularly related to Ozma and SMS. The mistranslation by Gattai changes the characterization of the company and him so far. =/
Where specifically? I haven't watched it yet to check, but I know them and I think they'd at least appreciate a concrete example...
Old 2008-04-13, 21:03   Link #138
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
it was pretty obvious. people were predicting Frontier might have some Macross 7 element in it, where singing effects alien or something like that. check out previous pages for post about this
So the 25 th Fleet is pretty F***k up when she will become Miss Macross
Old 2008-04-13, 21:31   Link #139
zmaverick81

.....Ozma used knive in this episode but whatever happened to the "pin point barrier punch".....

I mean considering VF-25 is newer than VF-19
Old 2008-04-13, 22:00   Link #140
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Because the costs of a pin-point barrier being installed on a line fighter is prohibitive. Sure, they can do it for the prototype but maybe not for the production model. And remember the law of mecha prototypes, they are always stronger than the production model.
Closed Thread