031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 0 0%
011 - 020: Awful... 0 0%
000 - 010: You'd rather be watching Pokemon... 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-05-06, 01:26   Link #1
james0246

[Anime-only] Shippuden Episode 159 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted before it airs in Japan (which is Thursday at 07:29 PM).
  • Naruto Forum RULES...
    • DO NOT ASK where to download RAWs or Fansubs... and DO NOT MENTION fansub group names...
      For further information please visit the Naruto Licensed! Ask for it = Ban thread
  • Thread Guidelines...
    • Absolutely no manga spoilers in any anime-only threads such as the weekly Episode Discussion threads. That means, no hints, or vague remarks about a future event from the manga, even within the spoiler tags. Inability to observe this rule will result in a BAN!
    • Discuss your expectations of this episode if it hasn't aired yet.
    • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    • Try to keep the discussion on topic.

Everyone is encouraged to use the report post button if these rules are broken. The button is located in the left hand corner, at the bottom of every user name. It will notify a moderator who will deal with such post according to the rules.

This Week's episode:
Pain vs. Kakashi - ペインvsカカシ ~ Pein vs Kakashi.

Description:

Credits –
Animation Supervisor: Hiromi Yoshinuma
Storyboard: Yoshihiro Sugai
Episode Director: Yoshihiro Sugai
Screenplay: Yuka Miyata

Title for Next Episode:
The Mystery of Pain - ペインの謎 ~ Pein no nazo.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 06:00   Link #2
neshru

Wow, the episode covered the whole fight and beyond. It even felt rushed.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 06:23   Link #3
EoT
~~

I thought this would be an epic episode but it didn't feel like it. I also would say it's rushed :|

Didn't feel like the correct music was played either.. and the build up to some parts.

I didn't actually feel sad at all!
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 07:10   Link #4
neshru

Anyway, the animation wasn't quite the disaster I expected it to be, but it definitely had nothing to do with Pierrot's good animators. It was like a mediocre animation team with a higher than usual budget. It was really weird to see actually, the animation was mediocre and yet it had a high frame rate.
Old 2010-05-06, 07:47   Link #5
Blaster

This episode proves one thing. You don't need to be smart or skilled. All you need is an imba bloodline, you can be dumber than your opponent but still win.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:21   Link #6
Gamma_Sennin

Wow they flew through that fight. It actually made Kakashi look far more inferior, than what I remember from the manga. Also, I still can't believe he sacrificed himself for Chouji. All the impressive strategy he performed prior to that, went out the window, with that genius move. Rather unceremonious way to go.

Lastly, forget Rasengan, or Chidori.. Im gonna kill yo ass with a nail. lol
Old 2010-05-06, 08:31   Link #7
Emilis
Sacrificing the elder

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed they covered a conflict that took three manga's in one episode, especially one that led to a character as significant as Kakashi going down. They could have at least put the flash backs and visions of his old team into the next episode, complete with loads of sad music. Speaking of which, next episode looks kind of dull. Mostly more Naruto training and investigating captured guy's mind... but I guess it has to be done.

Man James, you just keep making that 000 - 010 option worse and worse don't you
Emilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:35   Link #8
Kakosan

I disagree with most of the posts in here (sorry, nothing personal). The battle was well managed IMO. It is what it is, that's all. If you go back to the manga, there's nothing more to show. Pain's power was devastating on Kakashi's team, because they didn't know what the heck was going on. Bye Kakashi, you also lived your way.

I remember that there were several complaints whenever they extended fights more than the reasonable amount of time. I'm glad they did this one in just one episode.
Kakosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:44   Link #9
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Kakashi is dead just like that????? Isn't it amazing how the most deserving of people always have that one fatal weakness? Is there anyone more talented than Kakashi at analyzing things at a lightning speed and assessing the situation for a perfect response? If only he was blessed with a depot of chakra...

I'm rating the episode an 8. It's not often do we get to see a packed-to-the-brim episode like this. I didn't think I even exhaled for the whole 20 mins. Not exactly sure how else to say how good of an episode this was. As for the animation, the movement was solid even though the fluidity of the movements feel awkward at times. I suspect its due to the fact the team that handled the episode aren't as experienced at handling CG to such an extent. There were a lot of camera panning too to highlight instances of the movements. Either way, the episode makes up more than over with the superb storytelling that can only be expressed nothing other than the usage of superlatives.

Here is to hoping to the anime gods this cool kat will comeback to the land of living after his reminisce with his legendary dad.

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:55   Link #10
Ero-Senn1n

Very good episode, here i could feel that the story is moving on instead of the painfully slow episodes that we see mostly. I hope the keep up this pace, otherwise we may end up with some quite dumb moments, as we had in the Sasori fight when they said it clearly that the poison antidote lasts for 2 or 3 minutes and after that it lasted a whole episode When the manga clearly states a time interval but the anime stretches that into whole episodes i feel like we are in a dumb time relativity theory world where 5 seconds can be one minute and 3 minutes an entire episode

If we compare the Jiraiya vs Pain and the Kakashi vs Pain battles we can see what huge difference there is between sage mode and ninja fighting. It is very important to show the difference between an excellent ninja and a not so excellent sage to understand what will happen later. Kakashi was used as a measuring stick: Pain is so strong that even the strongest ninjas of Leaf have no chance against him. He could have killed Kakashi in the very beginning with one of his blastwaves but he didn't do so because he wanted to extract information.

Last edited by Ero-Senn1n; 2010-05-06 at 09:12.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 08:56   Link #11
Photonbeam
It's VACATION TIMEEEEE!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Photonbeam
The animation was very well done (godly), 10/10.
Old 2010-05-06, 08:59   Link #12
Ashaman

I enjoyed the episode. Some of the pacing seemed a little off, and the music in the beginning didn't seem to fir properly, but in the latter half of the episode they'd fixed these small mistakes.

It just goes to show how over-whelming Pain is, as well as show that no matter how skilled you are, Low Chakra reserves can be a huge weakness.
Ashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 09:19   Link #13
iBeast

Yeah they definitely rushed it...and they want to make an episode entitled to KONOHARMARU of all people? C'mon man
iBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 09:28   Link #14
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeast View Post
Yeah they definitely rushed it...
It's now three of you who have said the same thing... Can you guys elaborate? From my standpoint the pacing was excellent with a lot of information solidly coming together without any noticeable hitch. The moments did not linger more than it need be. I also admit that I'm now highly curious at taking a look at the manga version of these events played out in the episode.

I wish Hunter was here. He is good at explaining this sort of things from a manga-readers point of view. Come out of your hole you geezer, and add your 2 cents on the episode.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 09:50   Link #15
naruske

I don't think it was rushed at all. Obviously animation is faster than reading the manga. Maybe people are complaining that there wasn't much to the fight against kakashi and pain. Kakashi did use up a lot of chakra with the lightning bunshin and immediately when directly to his MS. All his other techniques would have been pointless which caused him to exhaust rather quickly.
naruske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 09:53   Link #16
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Can you guys elaborate? From my standpoint the pacing was excellent with a lot of information solidly coming together without any noticeable hitch.
Kakashi's final moments felt rushed to me, a slower pacing there would have emphasized the importance of the moment, made it more dramatic. And the final part with Tsunade could have been kept for the next episode.
Old 2010-05-06, 09:57   Link #17
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

It was awesome...pretty much no fillers between this and the previous chapters... not just that but... I was glad. Because now everyone will realize that Kakashi is/was great..but that Jiraiya was alot stronger.

Kakashi was still far off the level of the Sannin...unfortunately. Although i dare to say that Jiraiya was the strongest of the Sannin.
Well definetly once he went into Sennin Mode.
Old 2010-05-06, 10:06   Link #18
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
sad episode. i liked the touching ending with the 4th, rin, and obito.

seems rin died pretty young as she looked exactly the same as she did when obito died.
Old 2010-05-06, 10:09   Link #19
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It's now three of you who have said the same thing... Can you guys elaborate? From my standpoint the pacing was excellent with a lot of information solidly coming together without any noticeable hitch. The moments did not linger more than it need be. I also admit that I'm now highly curious at taking a look at the manga version of these events played out in the episode.

I wish Hunter was here. He is good at explaining this sort of things from a manga-readers point of view. Come out of your hole you geezer, and add your 2 cents on the episode.
They didnt pad the fights at all.. Thus the fight feels very short.

but ..

FARK FARK FARK .. I thought I wont cry again after Jiraiya's death .. but I did.. and my streamed died when they zoomed in on Tsunade's mad eye after she detects Kakashi's chakra fade away .. Almost mourning to the death itself
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 10:19   Link #20
Bombo
TSF Fans

9/10 and -1 for rushed
anyway this spisode was great and wonderful animation...I hope they keep up like that..
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion